• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2015 [Up3: Combined Hardware For PS4 + XB1 + Wii U]

This thread kinda slowed down a bit. We pretty much have numbers for all we need to know. Would be nice to just get a nice summary of it all from George or MUCLAIR
I was thinking about this too. Funny how negative news has the threads moving fairly fast, no? :p I guess the "consoles are ded" gang will be back in January though.

Rippa

It would be awesome if there were a clause in the contract for MS getting TR for six months exclusivity only if it didn't top the charts during its release. Getting it sooner to Sony's platform would probably give it the numbers it deserves. It's just wishful thinking on my part but would be awesome none-the-less.

maxiell

Rise of the Tomb Raider had to cost a hell of a lot less than the original. They didn't meaningfully change any aspect of the gameplay or presentation. That has to be factored in when you talk about whether they'll bother making another entry.

Faustek

You do realize the series was fucking floundering before the reboot right? Badly. That was the entire point of it. No one gave a shit about Tomb Raider anymore.

The reboot saved the franchise. I get that doesn't sit right with "series purists" like yourself, but there's two kinds of series that exist on a log time frame - those that are willing to evolve with the times, and those that become stagnant. It's interesting to adamantly want the series to remain something everyone already know it for. Most series that do that end up on Kickstarter.

While from a sales standpoint you are correct. The franchise wasn't that big....
But if we look at it from an investment and returns standpoint? I have no clue but I don't think I would be wrong in guessing that this cost them more money and saw fewer returns compared to earlier.
SE and CD wanted something with high returns and apparently failed with the first reboot and are driving it further down the pit as of now.

heidern

The PS4 and Xbox One accounted for 2.8 million of these sales.

The PS4, Xbox One and Wii U combined had an especially good month, driving new-gen hardware sales to multiple new record highs with 3 million sales over the course of the month. The PS4 and Xbox One accounted for 2.8 million of these sales.

Overall software sales fell 7%, to $1.02 billion which portable software dropping sharply by 66% and console holding pretty steady with a 1% decline. However, new-gen software sales increased 37%, only offset by the 60% decline in last-gen software sales.

Welfare

Tomb Raider bombed because it was in a sea of holiday franchises and launched on one system. Tomb Raider 3 is going to be a continuation of this game and it'll do better by the fact that'll launch on all systems at once instead of one.

No one cared about Tomb Raider in the mid to late 2000's, and we are not going to see that type of Tomb Raider again.

I was thinking about this whole "wanting a series to fail" talk and to be honest, I don't find myself disagreeing with Amir0x.

While I have no idea how Hitman: Absolution sold, I hope it bombed to hell and back and is the reason for the current Hitman game.

Guess that's it for the tomb raider series for a while. Hope the game drops to $30 soon. I traded mine in today for $50.

Good job to all the consoles but surprising to see ps4 win November. Xbox had still been the holiday king but it seems its lost even that claim.

There's a lot of bad posts in this thread, but Amir0x's posts are all easily taking the cake. Jesus.

I'm not even sure where the whole "Uncharted clone" thing comes from. If anything it's closer to The Last of Us with hub worlds.

cameron

Need for Speed is weird to see at #7 in November. Who are these thirsty NFS players?

Waiting on software numbers. If the top 12 > 300k, that's not bad for Halo 5 and AC: Syndicate... I guess.

For Tomb Raider, the game quality is good, but the release strategy was incredibly stupid.

It launched on the second place platform in a month where game #3 sold 2 million copies, despite being in a genre which isn't exactly at the top of the charts this generation (or even getting made that much anymore).

Their best bet is to try selling the game at bargain bin prices to get it to as many people as possible so they're still positive about the next game due to the quality bar, though they might also have to adjust the game to match today's (and presumably tomorrow's even more intense) open world madness.

This is quite an unfortunate follow-up to a game that shipped 8.5 million units and already executed the bomba pricing strategy to build the audience for this one.

It feels like they're almost back to square one. The massive price cuts for TR2013 and releasing TR:DE during the time when PS4/XB1 were starving for games were both great strategies in terms of generating a large fan base for the sequel. Get as many players to try the game as you can. SE tore that all down with Rise. I don't know what SE is going to do for the PS4 version next November. Launch at full price with all the DLC? Crazy expensive holiday marketing? Quiet release and hope for the best?

Twix

I am so happy Tomb Raider bombed. Thank you gaming Gods. Please destroy the reboot series forever so that I may have a chance of getting it developed by some company that actually understands what the goddamned franchise is about.

Big ass grin.

Totally agree. The game selling poorly is a blessing in disguise.

Jac5al

Neo Member
So all that talk about Halo not even being in the top 10.... Also, Blop3 selling more on xbone is a shocker. The shooter crowd is still very well on the xbox platform.
Both Advance Warfare and Ghost sold more on the PS4. I'd say the crowd has shifted over to the dark side.

Mohasus

Are there numbers for RoTR or people are saying that it bombed because it isn't on the top 10?

That top 10 is pretty much the biggest franchises in gaming in NA.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
No ms spin?

they've gone full "Playstation family" with their PR now. Just tell you how many people connected to Live or downloaded Minecraft on Windows 10 or something.

not that it was a bad month just they gave up even trying to spin it a while back (or maybe that is the spin? idk. I don't really care)

Boke1879

I was thinking about this too. Funny how negative news has the threads moving fairly fast, no? :p I guess the "consoles are ded" gang will be back in January though.

I think Sony and MS both know that $299 is the sweet spot and we'll see how well these deals do in the next few weeks in December.

I hope both keep it at this price though

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I'm a pretty big classic Tomb Raider fan (to put it mildly) and I really enjoyed Rise of the Tomb Raider. Obviously, the game possesses none of the ingenuity, creativity, or cleverness of the original game (or even its later remake), but it's still an exceptionally well made game overall. I don't want to see it bomb, and not just because I like tomb raider. It's pretty much one of the main series left in the linear, non-open world collectathon genre and even now that's seeping into this series.

I don't begrudge amirox his extreme dissatisfaction, the game has nothing in common with classic tomb raider. Tomb raider dying left a void that has not really been filled in by any series since it departed, and that makes me sad. But it's still a fun game.

It is, I think, and uncharted style game, and it was silly to take it away from the uncharted audience and expect it to do well. I anticipate it will sell well at $5 for the next five years until square says they are happy with it and someone starts a neener neener thread.

Sony has done a really great job this generation and is being rewarded. I think ps4 is great. So no complaints there. Looking forward to 2016.

Elandyll

Banned
What imo is even crazier, is that Sony managed that number by supplying all they could to a market that is (roughly) 30%-40% of its worldwide market. They had to keep supplying everywhere else, while for MS USA+UK is afaik at least 60%.

Huge supply feat I think.

Are there numbers for RoTR or people are saying that it bombed because it isn't on the top 10?

That top 10 is pretty much the biggest franchises in gaming in NA.

~200k.

Combined with the pathetic numbers in UK, it's pretty much a far cry from what I'm sure SE was hoping for a rebooted series.

le.phat

Squeenix left smoldering after their shitshow deal completely backfired, i love it. Back to the drawingboard, assholes.

Totally predictable top ten, just like how the big publishers like 'em. Good hardware numbers at least.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Ami, I think you're sentimentally invested in this. Just like you said nobody cares about people's feelings about the game, nobody cares you liked the series first. Just like you said this is the real world, this is a world were things are profit driven. The iterations you loved of TR did not sell well enough to gurantee a continuation. I'm sorry for that, because I really liked those games, doesn't mean I'm gonna go on people's throats on about it. The reasons this game is bombing are not even in the realm of the game's quality, but rather terrible business decisions by SE.

This game bombing is not going to give your old TR back, so I don't understand why you're so happy, unless you wanted to feel some kind of vindication or something.

I generally agree with you man, but not on this.

kswiston

Wii U must have done like 90%+ of its November sales the week of Black Friday if it only ended up in the 200k range. Granted I live in Canada, but I saw the Wii U bundle sell out in multiple stores that weekend.

What imo is even crazier, is that Sony managed that number by supplying all they could to a market that is (roughly) 30%-40% of its worldwide market. They had to keep supplying everywhere else, while for MS USA+UK is afaik at least 60%.

Huge supply feat I think.

Man I'm curious as hell what Worldwide PS4 numbers looked like in November for the PS4. They had to be enormous. What a fantastic job this generation by Sony

sense

christ guys, let amirox say what he wants. he doesn't like the new game and has strong(probably very strong in this case) feelings about it , i am not sure why people are getting worked up over this. it may very well be a great game but there are always outliers. I look at last of us as game of the generation candidate and i have seen people say it is shit. it doesn't somehow make the game bad. just think that dude doesn't share my views and move on.

GamerJM

Banned
T Nobody in life ever says "well how dare you hate a movie and are happy to see it bomb, someone else likes it and it took hard work to make it!" Nobody says that shit, because that's like some kindergarten kiddie glove nonsense.

Uh....I say that sort of thing all the time. I mean not "how dare you," but more like "hey man, keep in mind someone else likes it and it took hard work to make it!"

Fdkn

Come on about what? Are we really trying to get to a point where anyone thinks it's OK to try to tell others they can't be happy when something they believe is trash bombs? Is this what the gaming community is now? That's where we are at with sharing opinions now? Only happy unicorns and rainbows? We're only allowed to say "well someone somewhere must like this crap, and people worked hard on it! Therefore, I hope this thing which I believe is atrocious still succeeds and I am not happy in any way to see it not do well!"

Sorry, that's just not the real world. I think the reboot sucks, it destroyed an original series, and I'm absolutely ecstatic it bombed. Could not be any happier if I tried. Why do games keep getting treated differently than movies, tv shows and books? I can write a novel over the amount of GAF posts I've seen happy over a crappy movie bombing or a crappy tv show bombing. Well, I think this is crappy. And I can define WHY.

For what is worth I agree with you, not about tomb raider (I like the new games) but about fighting against this politically correct trend of making a taboo to wish a product you don't like fails, crash and burns, more so if said product could have a perceived as negative influence on other stuff you like.

Mrbob

No no no. Square Enix didn't have to take the money. I don't put any blame on MS, they were just trying to do what was best for their console in their minds. Blame SE if you want to blame someone.
At first I thought square was mainly at fault but this deal was brokered by the head of crystal dynamics. He should get the blame.

Ami, I think you're sentimentally invested in this. Just like you said nobody cares about people's feelings about the game, nobody cares you liked the series first. Just like you said this is the real world, this is a world were things are profit driven. The iterations you loved of TR did not sell well enough to gurantee a continuation. I'm sorry for that, because I really liked those games, doesn't mean I'm gonna go on people's throats on about it. The reasons this game is bombing are not even in the realm of the game's quality, but rather terrible business decisions by SE.

This game bombing is not going to give your old TR back, so I don't understand why you're so happy, unless you wanted to feel some kind of vindication or something.

I generally agree with you man, but not on this.

That is besides the point. He is free to give his opinion without being chastised just the same as people are be down about it. I've got no sentimental investment, but I'm glad just the same. I feel like they made bad decisions and I'm glad the consumers showed them this.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
X1's sales were healthy, but it's clear that Xbox owners don't really care about Tomb Raider. That time exclusivity deal was a bad decision by SE, but, then again, they've been making bad decisions for the last decade, so it's not totally out of the ordinary :p

Amir0x

Banned
Uh....I say that sort of thing all the time.

Well congratulations, you still are apparently incapable of facing down negative opinions that adults have all the time because you love a thing that someone else hates.

I don't know how you guys even function in the world with an attitude like that. "oh my god he's being mean about Star Wars, what a terrible human being! He didn't stop to consider that someone out there worked hard on it and that others love it!" Who even lives that way, christ? I'm glad I don't think an insult against something I love is a personal slight against my personhood.

Memento

Also I think halo needs a break. Take 5 years off, let 343 do something else or something smaller.

LOOOOOOL

Do you really thinl Microsoft would allow Halo to have 5 years without seeing a new entry? Come on. There will be one next year and then Halo 6 the year after, and you know it.

Top Bottom