• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2009

matmanx1

Why are we surprised at Borderlands performance on the PS3? Uncharted 2 and Demon's Souls both released just before it and are (by most metrics) better games. Most of the die hard PS3 folks I know bought both of those games and were still busy with them when Borderlands hit.

Tamanon

Banned
DoctorWho said:
I had no idea Borderlands was a big game at all. I'm shocked at the numbers and surprised by all the buzz. Maybe I should check this game out. Is it any good?

It's got snazzy advertising and is a shooter at heart. Shouldn't be too much of a surprise.

Chrange

Banned
chubigans said:
Forza bomba, GT PSP bomba, end of the racing genre it seems. :(

It was a fun ride.

Could be. I don't know if people have the time and patience for racing sims these days, especially with more and more gamers seeming to think they're entitled to be good at a game without having to learn how to play.

Digital-Hero said:
The PS3 beating of 360 is likely to continue. MS will be forced to drop the price again but it may not help.

The 360 could be in trouble. With the similar price, integration of Netflix, and possibly Facebook on PS3, the playing field has definitely leveled off.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Ultimo hombre said:
Price drop last year with a lower price of entry.

So is this the first Q4 for 360 without a significant price alteration? Oct 07 was around 360k, same-ish last year, then down to 250k this year. That surprises me a bit.

It's also down month on month which under normal circumstances would seem strange for an October, no? I mean there's an obvious reason for PS3's month-on-month drop, but for 360..?

Haunted

Slim effect about on par with what people expected, I guess. A continued boost [above] the competition was always wishful thinking with the Wii being as strong as it is [price drop considered].

V_Ben said:
keighley said:

"FYI, Brutal Legend sold 215.4K across PS3 and Xbox 360 versions."

not too shabby.
Good numbers for a Schafer game! I guess some people were still hoping for more with Jack Black and the big marketing push...

Anyway Borderlands yay! Makes me happy.

farnham

Banned
MidnightScott said:
Wow PS3 still did very well. November & December NPD will be very interesting since Christmas is around the corner!

The Wii doesn't have anything this holiday season besides New Super Mario Bros. Wii which will more than likely help it. Wii Fit Plus & Wii Sports Resort aren't big games IMO.
:lol :lol :lol

itxaka

Defeatist
Grecco said:
I said this last month :( Gran Turismo 5 will expect the same results.

ISn't racing like football in US? Meaning that they sell a lot more over Europa than in the US? I remember PGR4 selling like shit on the US but selling ok on Europe for example.

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
Yay Uncharted! CHARTED!

Borderland 360....holy fuck! Holy fuck! I didn't think it would sell that much worldwide lifetime. I think Uncharted is the reason that Borderlands PS3 didn't chart. It'll probably still do decent over the long term.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Last years numbers:

PlayStation 2 136K
PlayStation 3 190K
PSP 193K
Xbox 360 371K
Wii 803K
Nintendo DS 491K

legend166

What did Psychonauts do first month?

215k first month for Brutal Legend would be a good number, but I'm not expecting this to have any legs at all. Still a decent number. 500k would have made it a great success any other generation, but after a 4 year development cycle I'm not so sure.

Why For?

Banned
One of the best Top 10s I've seen in a long time.

Go FIFA!!!!! It now truly is the WORLD SPORT!!!!
Thank god Uncharted go the spot it should have. Hopefully it hangs in the top 5 next month after Call of Duty takes up the first 2 spots and NSMBWii takes up number 3.

FrankT

Difference between 360 and PS3 dropped in half. Normalcy will return in November as predicted no doubt about it.

Impressive first month for Borderlands and Uncharted.

faridmon said:
whoa at Kingdom Heart DS.
I never thought it will do that huge numbers.

Holy crap. :eek:
It's actually almost the same as last month's numbers, but there wasn't as much competition this month I guess so it made the top 10. Both Mario and Luigi and Scribblenauts were in the top 20 last month, I wonder where they landed.

Mrbob

Wow Uncharted 2 first month is bigger than the originals Nov and Dec.

And screw you guys dissing Ratchet! :lol My copy I bought didn't count till the Nov NPD, and I love the series!

Ratchet > Resistance

Pachter cursed Brutal Legend and saved Borderlands.

Erebus

Is Uncharted 2 the first PS3 title to break into the first spot of the software charts?

Either way, congrats NaughtyDogs! You deserved it!:D

Congratulations Wii. It recovered its rightful place. Decent PS3 numbers. Kind of low 360 numbers. November's will be epic with the XBox 360s ban possibly playing a role in making the numbers surprising.

Top Bottom