• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2014 [Up3: All of Nintendo's 3DS million sellers]

Damn, PS4 has been holding 5-7th place on the Amazon hourly best seller lists strongly for 2 days now while the ACU bundle has sank from 7th to now 14th. I didn't expect to see PS4 above the ACU bundle on the hourly sales until next month. Cannot believe the plain jane $399 PS4 no free games SKU is that strong. And people call Sony arrogant to not drop the price?

I think MS still might just squeeze November NPD, but I think between now and the end of the month, with BF included, Sony might just narrow it down so MS won't win by more than 100k. Could be wrong, though. Sony could steal it right at the death, or MS could trounce Sony on BF.

Damn, PS4 has been holding 5-7th place on the Amazon hourly best seller lists strongly for 2 days now while the ACU bundle has sank from 7th to now 14th. I didn't expect to see PS4 above the ACU bundle on the hourly sales until next month. Cannot believe the plain jane $399 PS4 no free games SKU is that strong. And people call Sony arrogant to not drop the price?

I think MS still might just squeeze November NPD, but I think between now and the end of the month, with BF included, Sony might just narrow it down so MS won't win by more than 100k. Could be wrong, though. Sony could steal it right at the death, or MS could trounce Sony on BF.

it's been around 10th for a while, the recent drop is just due to those Skylanders/Disney Infinity figures jumping up (presumably they will fall off soon as usual)

it's been around 10th for a while, the recent drop is just due to those Skylanders/Disney Infinity figures jumping up (presumably they will fall off soon as usual)

Yeah I'm just really surprised. I expected that ACU bundle to carry into December. Negative reviews impacted it or just not all that many people interested in that bundle past the amount it's already sold?

The biggest surprise is seeing the CoD bundle down the bottom. I just checked and assumed it must still be out of stock to be there, but then realised this is an hourly list, and lo and behold they're in stock. Even the Destiny bundle is way above it!

I thought MS were set to decimate Sony this NPD but I'm really not so sure now.

quetz67

Banned
So people buy PS4 because they want it and XB1 because they could't resist the deals. But obviously that weren't that many. Now people are waiting for even better deals and they might still be after Black Friday. This is some serious market saturation if I ever saw one and I can't see MS recovering from that until they drop XB1 to $199.

stryke

Amazon probably ain't that great of a indication for software but I'm still surprised CODAW is below AssCreed currently for November. Has the brand collapsed that badly?

Bgamer90

Banned
The biggest surprise is seeing the CoD bundle down the bottom. I just checked and assumed it must still be out of stock to be there, but then realised this is an hourly list, and lo and behold they're in stock. Even the Destiny bundle is way above it!

I thought MS were set to decimate Sony this NPD but I'm really not so sure now.

I haven't been following up on it lately but the COD bundle was selling out a few times last week.

The destiny bundle was previously right where the AC Unity Bundle with Kinect was and it was that way for a while. There being three XB1 SKUs vs. two PS4 SKUs could sway things; I definitely think the gap will be small in size (in comparison to overall sales) for this month between the two systems though.

If only MS made more Sunset Overdrive bundles.... ::shakes head::

If only MS made more Sunset Overdrive bundles.... ::shakes head::

Well, MS probably gauged demand from stuff like pre-orders and stuff, and allocated SSO's white bundle in accordance. Probably underplayed the intrinsic demand for the white SKU on its own right as they assumed a two game bundle with AssCreed will be the defacto SKU.

Their recent moves with Sunset Overdrive (free 24 hours, survey inquiring of the sequel) is interesting (taking into account what looked like mediocre sales from NPD,etc).

From a clueless outsider's perspective, it seems like the game didn't do as well as they wanted it to be, but they recognized that the critical reception could potentially allow a sequel to be the 'jumpstarter' to success, and is trying to gauge amongst early adopters if there's enough stickiness for a sequel to rely on existing fanbase, and a potential sales uptick from the 24 hour demo to see how they're moving forward with SSO.

Ok, yeah, I get what you are saying about Crackdown/Titanfall. They aren't 'saviours', though to be fair, I wasn't trying to say they were. My point is that Xbox has a lot more exclusive games and content in the first-person-shooter space, and that is going to help drive sells in the long run, little by little. No one title will be the savior, but I think it will build up to make up a software library that is more appealing to US gamers.

I count 2.

Playstation on the other hand does not have ANY big household shooters like halo and gears. They have tried with games like killzone and Resistance, but I think it should be obvious by now that those games never were meant to be big players (even if some of them are fairly good games in their own right).

The last Killzone sold 2M copies, but overall, I'd agree. I'd also say that by the same token, MS has nothing that stands up to God of War or Gran Turismo. If you say Forza, go have a look at the sales numbers before you do.

Now, I don't know what you mean by 'sales curve', but I think I know what you are going to say about why the PS3 came back.

Yes, I will admit that Europe and Japan had a big part in it, BUT, a big reason why it sold so well in those regions is due to the fact that a lot of their exclusive software & library appeals very well with those audiences.

Actually, a lot of it was price and brand--the PS3 has outsold the 360 ww every year on the market. A year to itself helped quite a bit, as did the superiority of Live, 3rd party games being better, etc...none of this is in their favor this time. No one was running to get Heavy Rain if that price wasn't right. Quite the opposite.

Also, I think that a big reason as to why it didn't ever quite come back in the US is due to the fact that it always had a higher price tag.
I think that the price has a huge effect on US sales, and while it doesn't always equal success, I would argue that when we Americans see two similar products, we usually go for the cheapest one, UNLESS there is some specific reason as to why we want the more expensive one...

I agree. Price is a big factor, but so is perception. That's actually a large part of the Xbox's issue now for most--there's always going to be a segment that will not forgive/forget their original plan, will not buy inferior hardware for 90% of the shared games, and have no interest in it as anything else other than a games machine; but they have a perception problem with the greater market which they need to solve.

Having said that, I think that Microsoft has woken up to the fact that they need to be cheaper to the PS4 to do well here in the US. And I think that the November results will show a clear difference.
I can't/won't say they will win for sure, but I can say that they will do a lot better than they have in the past two months where they got outsold 2-1.

Define clear. If you basically have to reduce the price by 100-150 to get slightly better sales for a month in one region, then you are in the very definition of deep shit.
I'm not sure who wins November, but it's not going to erase any deficit completely, nor make an impact ww. If you get outsold 2:1 in your strongest region and have to fight tooth and nail for the last 2 months, then you'll never catch up, let alone pass.

Amazon probably ain't that great of a indication for software but I'm still surprised CODAW is below AssCreed currently for November. Has the brand collapsed that badly?

I doubt it. I'm fairly curious to see how much digital they sold this year, but by BF and end of the month, I expect to see the brand as still healthy. AW is quite good.

And personal anecdote, I accidentally hit start for GTAV instead of DA:I, about a quarter of my friends are playing it. I quit because I know when I start playing it, every other game fades for a while.

Nintendo is not going to be the answer to Sony. Their relevance in the console market is shrinking; selling only to their hardcore fans means they aren't creating any real mindshare.
meh Most people likely would've said the same in the PS1/PS2 era, but then they took Sony down with the Wii. Nintendo are a solid company. Sometimes they seem a little out of touch, but then again, their "crazy" ideas turn out pretty cool sometimes, so more power to 'em, I say.

Regardless, the attempts to portray Microsoft as any kind of White Knight are simply laughable. Look at the shit they pulled the moment they thought they were entrenched. And now we're supposed to root for their success so Sony don't sell us any more consoles at $300 under cost? ohokay.gif

I count 2.

Sighs...
If you need more, here is a list of some exclusive shooters either out, or coming X1

Halo MCC
Gears
Crackdown
Titanfall
SSO
Halo 5

On PS4 you have

Killzone SF
The Order
....you might could add Uncharted/TLOU, but they are technically more action/adventure orientated than a strait up 1st or 3rd person shooter.

I'm really not trying to turn this into a list war, just making sure my point is clear. I only listed 2 in the other post as examples, not as a complete list of currently announced games.
My point was just that xbox has always had more shooters than playstation, and therefore has a bigger draw to players in the US. I think this will improve sales in the longrun (US), but is also a big reason why Xbox struggles in Europe as they aren't really a shooter orientated audience.

Elandyll

Banned
I know that some people here have a long standing habit of tracking sales on Amazon, so I figured I'd ask here.

Is it pretty much standard for Amazon to stop updating their monthly rankings (supposedly done daily) right before the week of Thanksgiving?
It seems like although the hourly works, the monthly (November) hasn't been updated in more than a week.

Just wondering :)

MS has nothing that stands up to God of War or Gran Turismo. If you say Forza, go have a look at the sales numbers before you do.

I agree. Price is a big factor, but so is perception. That's actually a large part of the Xbox's issue now for most--there's always going to be a segment that will not forgive/forget their original plan, will not buy inferior hardware for 90% of the shared games, and have no interest in it as anything else other than a games machine; but they have a perception problem with the greater market which they need to solve.

Define clear. If you basically have to reduce the price by 100-150 to get slightly better sales for a month in one region, then you are in the very definition of deep shit.
I'm not sure who wins November, but it's not going to erase any deficit completely, nor make an impact ww. If you get outsold 2:1 in your strongest region and have to fight tooth and nail for the last 2 months, then you'll never catch up, let alone pass.

-If you add up the meta reviews for each series, you will find that GT & Forza are neck and neck with the franchises averaging 89.6, and 88.9 scores respectively (only counting the main GT games, not prologue).
The GT brand is bigger not because it is better, but only because Playstation has always had a stronger base in Europe where racing games sell the best.

-I agree that perception is a big issue, but feel that this will go away in time just like the negative perception of the PS3 did after a few years of solid games and good moves (remember how arrogant sony was at launch?).

-By clear I mean that rather than getting outsold 2-1 they will actually be competing! I don't know if they will win, and feel like it will be close, but either way, it will be a huge step up from previous months.

A_Gorilla

Banned
-If you add up the meta reviews for each series, you will find that GT & Forza are neck and neck with the franchises averaging 89.6, and 88.9 scores respectively (only counting the main GT games, not prologue).
The GT brand is bigger not because it is better, but only because Playstation has always had a stronger base in Europe where racing games sell the best.

-I agree that perception is a big issue, but feel that this will go away in time just like the negative perception of the PS3 did after a few years of solid games and good moves (remember how arrogant sony was at launch?).

-By clear I mean that rather than getting outsold 2-1 they will actually be competing! I don't know if they will win, and feel like it will be close, but either way, it will be a huge step up from previous months.

Regarding your second point, it took the PS3 YEARS (depending on who you ask, until either 2009 or even 2010) to shake off its bad reputation, which in some ways lingers to this day (hence how quickly the "PS4 has no games" mantra sprang up). MS is doing all the right steps so far with the price cuts but I think it will be quite sometime before the stigma really goes away.

Usobuko

Banned
it's a good thing Driveclub has Europe+more digital sales to help it then, huh

I assume that statement is saying Driveclub had only 45 devs (wait what?)

The thing about Sony's published games bombing is they are still able to serve another alternative in PS+, lol.

Now ACU is up to 10th on the hourly and PS4 has slipped to 9th and is poised to be overtaken by it. What the hell is going on? This NPD is almost impossible to call.

current Amazon snapshot:

PS4-9th
XB1 AC:Unity bundle-10th
XB1 AC:Unity Kinect bundle-52nd
XB1 CoD bundle-53rd
PS4 Destiny bundle-54th

.......huh? weird shift, there doesn't seem to be anything in particular to cause movement

We're a week before BF, with the deals starting to be pretty known by now.

Anyone picking up a console right now is pretty much making the choice to forfeit the BF savings. So realistically, it's hard to gauge any pattern at this point.

I don't really know why anyone still bothers to look at and/or post Amazon hourly rankings considering it A) makes up a relatively small, and not necessarily representative sample of games retail, and B) isn't even a unit ranking, as posted before by jcm, it's an algorithm that includes things like historical sales and the rate at which sales are increasing.

.......huh? weird shift, there doesn't seem to be anything in particular to cause movement
Amazon currently have XBones for $50 off listed front and just off-center on their pre-Black Friday deals. It's just the standard November pricing, but yeah.

Apparently there was recently a deal on the solo PS4 where you got a $50 Amazon credit. Not sure when that deal ran, or for how long; it just says we missed it. /shrug

Bgamer90

Banned
I don't really know why anyone still bothers to look at and/or post Amazon hourly rankings considering it A) makes up a relatively small, and not necessarily representative sample of games retail, and B) isn't even a unit ranking, as posted before by jcm, it's an algorithm that includes things like historical sales and the rate at which sales are increasing.

I think it's fine in terms of seeing if there are trends (one item staying in a certain position and/or above another one for a decent period of time in a week) but checking on it every few hours (or multiple times a day) is pretty excessive.

Conduit

Banned

Abdiel????

Sighs...
If you need more, here is a list of some exclusive shooters either out, or coming X1

Let me help you out--there are three games in that entire list that can drive sales:

Halo MCC
Gears
Halo 5

The rest are largely non-factors.

Or, you can just look at the sales and see GT is much more popular, period. It sells everywhere, and that's really that matters in this context. It's no contest.

And it still took years for that stigma to go away, and that was from the market leader that thrashed everyone by an order of magnitude. Twice.

So you basically only mean in the US, then. WW, just have a look at the EU.
But given the amount of discounts and everything else, winning for 2 months in one region and losing the next 10-11 seems like a hollow victory.

Again, the factors are not the same to allow for the comeback you're saying. Even PS3 got a month here and there (GTAV, MGS4), but the sales pattern was largely set: Wii, 360, PS3. And it was set pretty early. Same as we're seeing here.

Square2015

Did we get the top 4 SW SKU?

I've worked out the TOP 4 selling titles WITH NUMBERS back to 1988 (that's right, back to the '80s) with a few gaps from the last couple of years (from NPD crackdowns).

Is it:

1. The Evil Within (ps4)
2. NBA 2K15 (ps4)
3. Borderlands (ps4)
4. NBA 2K15 (xbo)

.?

Regarding your second point, it took the PS3 YEARS (depending on who you ask, until either 2009 or even 2010) to shake off its bad reputation, which in some ways lingers to this day (hence how quickly the "PS4 has no games" mantra sprang up). MS is doing all the right steps so far with the price cuts but I think it will be quite sometime before the stigma really goes away.
I agree.

Let me help you out--there are three games in that entire list that can drive sales:

Halo MCC
Gears
Halo 5

The rest are largely non-factors.
I said that not all were system sellers, but would add up over time to create value.
Also, titanfall did drive a good bit of sales.

Ty4on

HW I believe. I haven't been able to reconcile the angles perfectly with known numbers, but it works well enough.

Last gen showing some surprising strength in Oct. If I'm reading it right the 360 outdid the Wii U for the first time since April.

It did. 71 to 69.

PS4 dropping like a tonne of bricks on the hourly's now. Anything to do with people waiting for BF? Knowing Amazon does a PS4 with GTA V for the same price of the console alone just next week?

If this is the case, how come the ACU bundle is still getting bought? Not that much different to wait for BF?

PS4 dropping like a tonne of bricks on the hourly's now. Anything to do with people waiting for BF? Knowing Amazon does a PS4 with GTA V for the same price of the console alone just next week?

If this is the case, how come the ACU bundle is still getting bought? Not that much different to wait for BF?

Don't waste your youth trying to find any kind of useful information from Amazon's hourly bestsellers charts.

Top Bottom