• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD: Xbox One wins October NPD. Best Selling Console in US 4th Month In a Row

statham

It's been years and years though. They did a good job, but it's cost them absurd amounts of money. Basically the way they did this is by making everything much cheaper. Constant fire sales, bundles, promotions, price drops, etc. They started out as more expensive than the ps4 by 100$ and in the past few years with all the different promos you can get far more for what you pay.

everyone always forgets kinect added $100 to the cost, the cost on consoles only are pretty close. dropping kinect allowed them to drop the price. but remember when consoles were sold at huge losses and are made up by games sales? This is the avenue I think MS is taking, I expect Scorpio to be sold at a lost initially.

The interest metric for XBox is if they can prevent YOY numbers going down from now on, like they did before the launch of the S.

That said I have no doubt that yesterday alone was enough for Sony to reopen the gap to July 16 levels in the US and UK.

Putty

Well done MS. The 1S clearly is here for the long run...its such an attractive machine on many levels, and when you factor the price it becomes a no brainer to many. I still dont want one though lol, wating it out for Scorpio 8)

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I thought MS shafted their XB1S sales by revealing Scorpio...

SwolBro

Banned
it's good to see Microsoft get this going. It's really well deserved.

Scorprio can't come soon enough though. im ready

Frobary

Best Sellers in Video Games for October 2016 - Amazon
#47 PS4 Slim Uncharted Bundle
#57 PS4
#61 PS4 Uncharted 4 Bundle
#91 X1 S Madden 1TB Bundle
#93 X1 S Gears 2TB Bundle
#98 X1 S Battlefield 1TB Bundle

HQZ83Do.jpg

:D

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It's already been proven that other bottlenecks prevent full usage of SSD which only furthers my point that the fidelity/performance argument is currently favoring one side.

And the GPU offers a performance increase, yes. But it is primarily a visual increase. The CPU is still taking a back seat which frankly, were it updated properly, would benefit almost every other aspect of the platform.

I'm not disappointed as upgrading both ends would increase the price substantially enough to warrant the title of next-gen, but it is not difficult to see that the Pro is catering to the eyes before anything else.

I know that the popular opinion here is that "your Jaguar sucks so much that it could be clocked at 10 THz and still blow", I think we are underselling how it's up clock is not trivially small and that extra GPU power can also be used for non graphical tasks hence why there is such a big GPU compared to the CPU.

The problem with PS4 Pro and Scorpio is developers and platform holders... unless you can and are willing to make exclusive games, what normally a real new generation upgrade provides, you will hold back from making significant gameplay enhancements and for me the massive improvement in image quality is perhaps the biggest thing I wanted as this was still very bad in current generation consoles... surface aliasing thanks to all the shaders we are running without proper shader based AA.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Good for Xbox One.

PS4 Pro + Black Friday PS4 + FF XV PS4 + FF XV = You can't not win November.

LOL The PS4 XV bundle is a rip off. XV's release is at the very end of the month after everyone spent their money.

Xbox Slim Black Friday deals will be insane.

MS has a good shot.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
True, another good point. The biggest shows out right now aren't being watched on UHD or even regular Blu Ray. Probably only collectors still buy seasons of stuff like GoT on disc when you can just use your HBO sub to watch all the episodes on demand at any time through your 4k TV's built in HBO app

How many people can really watch that much 4K content and download huge games digitally and not worry about bandwidth congestion and caps? How many people have that good of a connection really?

Still, when you spend that much money on a new TV, I think you ought to give yourself the best quality experience possible and we are lying to ourselves if we say that UHD Blu-Ray does not fly miles above Netflix 4K streams the same way Blu-Ray beats 1080p Netflix today... either that or we aren't purchasing TV's that offer a potential image quality we cannot perceive...

Kathian

Banned
PS4 slim did nothing LOL. Between that and VR i don't know if PS4 pro is going to be any different

I think this holiday is going to be a disappointment for Sony. Their messaging and strategy are all over the place - they just wanted to get as much hardware on the market to bring in more cash - my feeling is it won't work.

Cranster

Banned
I think this holiday is going to be a disappointment for Sony. Their messaging and strategy are all over the place - they just wanted to get as much hardware on the market to bring in more cash - my feeling is it won't work.
Let alone the pro will cannibalize the PS4 Slims sales and vice versa.

Microsoft has an advantage on both price/bundles and marketing seeing as how they are focused on the Xbox One S and don't have to worry about another hardware edition for another year atleast.

nekkid

4 of my friends bought The Pro day one and non of them Have a 4k. I am The only one Who has a 4k and bought The Pro. The Pro will outsell Xbox

Pack it up, MS. We have the real numbers here.

Today was pretty great for the Pro. Sony sent us excellent shipments across all of my district, with more than enough for all each store's preorders, and then plenty of extra stock. We also had consistent interest throughout the day as people were coming in with active questions and regular purchasers. Almost all preorders were picked up at my home store before the end of the day.

I can't give actual numbers, but it definitely exceeded my initial expectations for the system. Very, very positive initial reception, with excellent momentum to build off of.

As to Black Friday ahead - Our deals aren't really as exciting for the console front as some of the others (No gift cards, eh...) However, anyone buying a Slim PS4 would have 3 physical games they could sell (our trade in value for R+C and TLOU isn't much, but maybe elsewhere?), or just having 3 games in general is still a pretty solid start for $249. I have still stood by my statement that Sony should drop a newer, more exciting Slim bundle, and they'll see more core just general interest in it, but it seems that might be right after Black Friday, like how we saw with the Battlefront bundles last year, they'll roll out new stuff, probably a CoD bundle. Seems like the best course.

Our XBOS offering is pretty generic, but I'm sure we'll clear inventory on both. We just need plenty of stock.

Good ol' Sony. Don't worry folks, they'll destroy it next month, lol.

The marketing and PR from MS this gen seriously needs to be a case study in marketing programs. It's insane just how quickly they've managed to change the image of their product and their brand from the toxic dumpster fire that it was post reveal.

In two markets, that was always Pro Xbox and for a console that never really behind by too much in those markets? what?

Show me any evidence that this has even moved the needle on a global scale and maybe you'd have a point.

2016 the year of the underdog - Leicester win the Premier League, Brexit, Trump and now Xbox wins NPD 4 months in a row - whatever next? :)

Castef

Banned
Congrats to MS!

But...they've practically been giving away the XB1 since the launch window debacle. When has the XB1 not been on sale or part of bundles with 1-6 free games thrown in? Just saying.

Actually there are lots of PS4 bundles around too.

Trup1aya

I honestly don't think the "waiting for Pro effect" slowed sony down these last 4months, nor will carry PS4 to a November victory.

I think most of the the people who've were waiting for Pro are people who already had a PS4 and are upgrading. These people wouldn't have been buying new PS4's July-oct anyway. Sony lost those months because new console buyers were more attracted to the Xbox 1S than the Slim.

In Nov new console buyers will STILL be more attracted to the xb1s. The Pro will provide a boost as Sony enthusiasts buy their second console. But I don't think it will be a big hit amongst new users. People who wait this long to get into a console generation are usually motivated by the lower prices.

flattie

I've been severely tempted to get an Xbox One S.

What gives me pause is what appears to be a total lack of upcoming exclusives - is there anything coming outside of the standard Halo/Gears/Forza trinity??

It's good to see MS being competitive now, though.

Trup1aya

I've been severely tempted to get an Xbox One S.

What gives me pause is what appears to be a total lack of upcoming exclusives - is there anything coming outside of the standard Halo/Gears/Forza trinity??

It's good to see MS being competitive now, though.

Depends if you consider PC and option or not.

Dead Rising 4 (edit: 1 year times exclusive), Scalebound, Sea of Theives, state of decay 2 and Crackdown 3 are the next exclusives that fit your criteria.

nekkid

Depends if you consider PC and option or not.

Dead Rising 4, Scalebound, Sea of Theives, and Crackdown 3 are the next 1st party exclusives that fit your criteria.

DR4 is only exclusive for a year.

Have you ever thought they ACTUALLY did? ;)

XBOX One S does a great job, it delivers proper value for money, has proper services, unique features, and proper games, at least for the audiences in US and UK.

That said, the upcoming offical presentation / arrival of Scorpio will affect XBOX One S sales soon enough. But apparently not now,so it seems like the very early announcement didn't jeopardize MS' holiday sales, for all we know.

Trup1aya

XBOX One S does a great job, it delivers proper value for money, has proper services, unique features, and proper games, at least for the audiences in US and UK.

That said, the upcoming offical presentation / arrival of Scorpio will affect XBOX One S sales soon enough. But apparently not now,so it seems like the very early announcement didn't jeopardize MS' holiday sales, for all we know.

I doubt it will ever effect 1S sales in a significant manner.

The price differential will clearly focus these two devices on different target audiences.

The xb1 S will still be attractive to the price concious late adopter. And the Scorpio will be attractive to the enthusiast early adopter.

I doubt there are very many people who will say "I waited 4 years for the Xbox to reach a price that I can justify, but now I'm going to spend $400 or more instead."

Vetro

PS4 slim did nothing LOL. Between that and VR i don't know if PS4 pro is going to be any different

Simple math: Because most people wo waited to buy a PS4 waited for the pro.
FF XV + PS4 Pro will do the job i guess.

Can only speak for germany but amazon already has problems with delievery and availabilty of the Pro here. At the moment they only offer it via marketplace vendors.

My two cents on this.

Hardly surprising at all. I think it’s easy to overestimate the “brand advantage” PS4 held over XB1 due to PS4’s consistent sales lead over Xbox, prior to XB1S…. But in US/UK, it was not like the sales gap was huge. Sure, XB1S was the catalyst to push its current sales above PS4, but it came with a lot of other caveats as well.

If I were to categorise the various catalyst between PS4 and XB1, it would be the below:

PS4 Slim:
$50 price cut
Slim redesign
UC4 bundle

XB1 S:
$50 price cut
Slim redesign + UHD
Halo 5/MCC bundle, Gears 1-4 bundle, Minecraft bundle, BF1 bundle, Madden bundle, FIFA bundle

I would also add that XB1S consistently has better “deals” than PS4, in terms of gift-cards, free additional games, etc. MS is nothing if not very generous with deals this generation.

In summary, not only is XB1S the product with the bigger redesign splash, it’s also the product that has the “best value” in terms of games bundled (5 Gears/Halo games, 3 MineCraft games) and for single-game bundles, they are games that are highly anticipated with a lot of mainstream appeal. (BF, Madden, FIFA)

Furthermore, XB1S is smart with the timing of said releases and bundles. Ever since XB1S released, was there any window of time where there was no new bundles released to generate excitement? After Halo, there was Madden, then there was Gears, and then there’s Battlefield.

Contrary to popular belief that Xbox brand had a long streak of taint, I believe that XB1 has long shed a huge bulk of toxicity the brand had 2 years ago during the AssCreed dual-bundle move, where the product flew off shelves with one of the best bundle deals that set the standard for quality bundles this gen. That move also highlighted that both brands have plenty of parity and ability to outsell each other given the right value given to said console.

Right now? I’d easily say that PS4 Slim’s appeal is weaker than XB1S. It’s bundled with one fixed choice game, whereas XB1S has the array of options for multi-games and single games that appeal to a wider range of audience (shooter, sports, children)

While I’m uncertain what to expect of November, personally I wouldn’t necessarily put my chips on a certain PS4 victory. This is because of two factors.

- November/Black Friday are purchasing months that, from a volume perspective, is highly price-sensitive
- PS4 Slim’s “deals” are not as appealing or sexy compared to XB1S.

November needs both Slim and Pro to do well if PS4 wants to “win” and I think Sony is way too focused on Pro at the moment and not having the CoD/WD2 bundle available day-and-date with Europe in the US is a mistake. UC4 bundle alone isn’t sexy enough.

I expect Pro to sell very well. But is it an extremely high volume to the extent it’ll easily win? Hard to say.

Anyway, XB1S’s stronger sales have been well-deserved. I for one hope that it lights some extra generosity on Sony’s ass so that they’ll at least try to match some of the more generous deals MS has been dealing out. I could do with a 399 PS4 Pro bundle with multiple games instead of just one game sooner rather than later.

Good ol' Sony. Don't worry folks, they'll destroy it next month, lol.

Wow, looks like Abdiel has been christened 'Sony rep' here, that's (at least) two months of passive aggressive shit against him in a row.

I honestly don't think the "waiting for Pro effect" slowed sony down these last 4months, nor will carry PS4 to a November victory.

I think most of the the people who've were waiting for Pro are people who already had a PS4 and are upgrading. These people wouldn't have been buying new PS4's July-oct anyway. Sony lost those months because new console buyers were more attracted to the Xbox 1S than the Slim.

In Nov new console buyers will STILL be more attracted to the xb1s. The Pro will provide a boost as Sony enthusiasts buy their second console. But I don't think it will be a big hit amongst new users. People who wait this long to get into a console generation are usually motivated by the lower prices.

What's the XBox Slim/OG split then? because OG seems forgotten about, but I'm sure they must be selling some with the firesales.

Best Sellers in Video Games for October 2016 - Amazon
#47 PS4 Slim Uncharted Bundle
#57 PS4
#61 PS4 Uncharted 4 Bundle
#91 X1 S Madden 1TB Bundle
#93 X1 S Gears 2TB Bundle
#98 X1 S Battlefield 1TB Bundle

HQZ83Do.jpg

:D

I have to eat some crow on this one. I thought for sure Amazon would predict October.

Top Bottom