• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 reviews and benchmarks

ZOONAMI

They compute their percents differently. TPU's 100% is 1080 performance while HardOCP's 100% is the 980Ti's performance (and 980's/Fury's).

If 1080 is 100 fps then 75% of it's performance is 75 fps.
At the same time, 100-75=25, 75/25=3 or 33% of 75. So 75+33%=100 fps.

Lol I knew this was coming. Let's learn to maths together. To calculate a gain from the given numbers, we need to switch baseline so that the 980ti is 100% and the 1080 is a number bigger than that. So to do that: 100/76 * 100% gives us 131.5%, hence the 1080 is a 31.5% gain over the 980ti.

The 980 Ti is 24% slower than a 1080. The 1080 is 31.5% faster than a 980 Ti. That's how percentage calculation works.

Lol guys, my bad. Wasn't really thinking about the conversion, too early, just saw 76 and 100 lol.

la_briola

Seems like OC in real world use is worthless on the reference cooler

Yeah, the cooler sucks: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=203896335&postcount=189

fRMo8Ap.png

I posted this earlier from cb.de, but it got ignored.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Seems like a decent upgrade from a 970 but if the cooler isn't that great I don't see any reason to jump in on one of these right now.

Schnozberry

I'm pretty happy with my OC'd 980Ti. I can't imagine the 1080 dropping below $699 for a while and I'm sure the resale value on my 980ti just shit the bed so I guess I'll hold tight until 1080ti makes it into the wild.

Reference cooler is pretty awful by the looks of it as well. Hopefully EVGA and Gigabyte have better plans for it.

dr_rus

Everyone is worried about 4k60fps and I am over here just wanting to run Ultra on my ROGP348Q.

http://techgage.com/article/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-review-a-look-at-4k-ultra-wide-gaming/3/

Looks good to me.

I thought this video from Digital Foundry was interesting:

DirectX11 vs Direct12 performance

What is DX12 supposed to bring exactly, aside from forcing us to update to Windows 10 and beyond?

Added to OP as well.

Vuze

Seems like they had the 2GHz 1080 FE from the reveal event in a fridge or something, PCGH managed to OC it to 2,1GHz -- but only by installing an aftermarket cooler on the card :p

can we expect 60fps 4k from the gtx 1080ti? doubtful right?

Maybe an overclocked 1080ti with hbm2 assuming you mean maxed out settings. You can get it now or close to it by dropping settings with 1080.

Depends on the game.

Ti should be at least 20-30℅ faster than the basic 1080, should hit 4k/60 quite easily.

It'd probably get pretty close on the games that are out today.. But what about the games that are out 3 months from now? 6 months from now? 6 months AFTER the 1080 Ti is released?

The answer to your question is no. Games released around the same time or after the 1080 Ti are not likely to hold 4k/60fps at max settings. A card capable of pulling that off with modern games of it's time is likely years and years (and years) away.

grendelrt

The consensus seems to be: if you can wait a bit; wait for the partner cards and better cooling solutions.

Probably what I will end up doing, just really blows ass that nvidia pulled this founders shit. Been waiting all year for this release, now I have to wait extra time for this founders crap to play out.

KingV

This exactly. The sentiment that a card is overkill for anything is so woefully shortsighted and lacking in perspective. I remember when everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, was saying the 980, and then the 980 Ti were overkill for 1080p. It baffled me then and it baffles me now. When CyberPunk 2077, or Star Citizen, or Mass Effect Andromeda, or more elaborate big budget VR games, or the next Crytek game, etc.. etc.. come out, I guarantee that these cards won't be overkill for anything.

I do think that if you're primarily a 1080p/60 gamer you'll be able to hang tough on a 970 or 980 for a while longer, albeit not at max settings. The current gen consoles should help keep lower settings lower enough for the older cards for another 2 years, hopefully.

Reference coolers always suck, that's why you get the an evga or a gigabyte etc.

My evga 980ti FTW has a quality cooler and hits a base boost of around 1.4, could probably get it to around 1.5 or abit more.

Wait on the aftermarket cooler.

Adry9

Yeah. That's not good for a new generation. Of course the high end models were never known for best value, but it's still disappointing imo.

At $699 same value as the 980 or 980Ti. The 1070 will probably be better value than the 970.

It'd probably get pretty close on the games that are out today.. But what about the games that are out 3 months from now? 6 months from now? 6 months AFTER the 1080 Ti is released?

The answer to your question is no. Games released around the same time or after the 1080 Ti are not likely to hold 4k/60fps at max settings. A card capable of pulling that off with modern games of it's time is likely years and years (and years) away.

It is not years and years away at all.

Sky Chief

Yup, despite the fact that the 1080 looks great, Nvidia is leaving a really bad taste in my mouth with this Founder's Edition bullshit. The cooler and power is clearly inadequate. The fact that they are also charging a $100 premium for these inadequacies is just fucked beyond belief.

What makes you believe that?

What makes you believe otherwise?

The 1080 on reference is hitting 60 @ 4k with some games on high, an aftermarket with better cooling and a higher clock should be even better at hitting that point.

The Ti will hit it probably on almost all games for the next while, especially on high and maybe a few less on ultra.

If it comes with HBM2, higher clock and atleast 20-30℅ percent more than the 1080 then I can see it performing at 4k really well.

pestul

It may actually never happen. At max settings that is.. and no one should expect that it should. Maybe if game development decided unilaterally to stagnate in the adoption of new graphics tech, but that's not the norm.

pestul

What makes you believe otherwise?

The 1080 on reference is hitting 60 @ 4k with some games on high, an aftermarket with better cooling and a higher clock should be even better at hitting that point.

The Ti will hit it probably on almost all games for the next while, especially on high and maybe a few less on ultra.

If it comes with HBM2, higher clock and atleast 20-30℅ percent more than the 1080 then I can see it performing at 4k really well.
New games will come out and be more demanding on ultra. And the cycle continues on and on.

takriel

Is it worth it to purchase this to replace my 980 Ti? I game at 3440x1440 resolution, so getting consistent 60 fps still is hard with a 980 Ti and newer games. 1080 seems to solve that problem.

dr_rus

Confirms FE is nothing but an intentional money grab.

This should be in the OP as well but I bet it wont be.

The link to ComputerBase review is in the OP. As for cooler being bad or not that's up to you to decide based on the information provided. As I've said several times already, I think that the card is overpriced even on a non-FE position.

x3sphere

To be honest I feel like the FE being priced at $700 gives validation for much higher prices on the premium AIB cards.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Gigabyte G1 (or equivalent) comes in at $700. If that ends up being the case, it dampens my enthusiasm a bit. A 25-30% over 980 Ti is more or less expected based on historical jumps, but we were paying $150-200 less for this type of improvement with the 580 -> 680. It makes sense though, without competition from AMD, NV has no real incentive to lower prices.

At $699 same value as the 980 or 980Ti.

And that's not a good thing. A new generation is supposed to bring significantly more performance per dollar.
Maybe the new 16 nm process just doesn't allow for more (we'll see how AMD will do). In that case it wouldn't be Nvidia's fault, but it wouldn't be any less disappointing either.

Top Bottom