• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti launch/review day - 2017/03/09

The Dude

All right, got my Asus installed. Get about 450 points less (coming out to a hit of 3.5 average FPS) than the Amp Extreme on Superposition 4k, with it boosting to around 1900Mhz which is just fine for me since all I care about is being able to maintain FPS between 60 and 100 at 3440x1440 and letting Gsync take care of the rest. Playing through the level of Rime that gave me trouble with crashing before, the temperature averages around 74 though HWmonitor shows a peak of 77, compared to the Zotac hitting around 83 constantly there. Fans are a tad on the louder side when compared to the fan curve I had set on the Zotac, but I could set a fan curve again to bring it down if I wanted to. Not sure I do though, I can probably settle with this. I wouldn't call the noise silent or really even quiet, but it seems to be a deeper pitch than the Zotac and so is less bothersome.

During that playthrough of that level in Rime, I had crashed on it about 5 or more times with the Zotac. This time, I didn't crash at all! Hopefully this means that either swapping the card out or the DDU fresh install of drivers fixed that problem, and I'll see if FF14 crashes as well now once I play it.

Combined with no annoying flashing light, the fans not instantly revving to 100% when coming out of idle fan stop, and I believe no coil whine at least that I can notice with my case closed I'll say the Asus is a winner. Only downside is the RGB lighting isn't QUITE as nice as the Zotac (less of it, and the white leans towards purple). It does look good along with my Be Quiet Dark Rock 3 CPU cooler though, better than the Zotac did, and since it's a bit shorter it probably helps the non-static optimized case fan right in front of it. I'll have to try and take some pictures of my rig sometime if this is finally in its finished (for now) state and get the return process for the Zotac started.

Work some oc magic and you'll be set. Mine reaches about 2063 and settles at 2050, 2038 occasionally during gaming.. Not perfect but I'm happy with it. Hopefully you'll be able to achieve similar results or even better

FFMafia

lol I have been playing runescape haha. But seriously I want to buy overwatch while it's on sale. I didn't realize I had a 120hz monitor (old monitor) and when I finally got the refresh rate enabled it feels great even for normal every day stuff. So yeah overwatch would probably benefit nicely with high frames. I missed my chance on buying GTA V on sale from last week :(

boosting to around 1900Mhz
Some of these cards are just clocked higher out of the box, but they can pretty much all get close to 2000mhz if you play around a little. But if that's not a concern if yours, then more power to ya. It can be fun though :)

Playing through the level of Rime that gave me trouble with crashing before, the temperature averages around 74 though HWmonitor shows a peak of 77, compared to the Zotac hitting around 83 constantly there.
Whoa. I guess you have some high ambient temps? That's pretty high for the Asus in my experience.

My room is always around 23°C and my card won't go over 65 at 50% fan speed.

Whoa. I guess you have some high ambient temps? That's pretty high for the Asus in my experience.

My room is always around 23°C and my card won't go over 65 at 50% fan speed.

Nah, I think it's just a factor of my case really. It's the Define C, so quite on the small side and with less airflow compared to bigger cases especially since I keep the case fans running at low RPM. I'm gonna tweak things so that the case fans speed up a bit more under stress and we'll see how that works out. Still, even though I just bought this I'll probably get a new case next year or something. The Cooler Master H500P shown at Computex looks pretty nice >_>

Nah, I think it's just a factor of my case really. It's the Define C, so quite on the small side and with less airflow compared to bigger cases especially since I keep the case fans running at low RPM. I'm gonna tweak things so that the case fans speed up a bit more under stress and we'll see how that works out. Still, even though I just bought this I'll probably get a new case next year or something. The Cooler Master H500P shown at Computex looks pretty nice >_>

Well with the Strix that's not hard at all. You can plug 2 fans directly into the GPU and use the Asus GPU Tweak software to ramp the your case fans up with GPU temps. It didn't seem to help me any, but that's because I have kinda cheap case fans that don't do a great job. Still, I don't think the NZXT H440 is known for being a good airflow case but it's holding up great with the Strix so far.

What games are you testing on your spanking new GTX1080Ti on?

Lots of Battlefield 1. Some Mankind Divided. Quantum Break.

Highest I could get on my FTW3 in 4K Optimized in Superposition.

44lkJhT.png

GReeeeN

anyone with the Strix having issues getting their additional fans connected via the fan header working?. I connected 2 chassis fans to the end of the GPU, but they don't seem to be powering up at all.

Do I need to do something software wise to get these working?, or do I need some kind of adapter?, the connection doesn't feel very secure at all

anyone with the Strix having issues getting their additional fans connected via the fan header working?. I connected 2 chassis fans to the end of the GPU, but they don't seem to be powering up at all.

Do I need to do something software wise to get these working?, or do I need some kind of adapter?, the connection doesn't feel very secure at all

Yes. It is working for me. But you have to realize that the default profile for the Asus FanConnect feature only enables these fans once the GPU reaches 50 degrees or some such.

You can tweak the feature and set your own fan curve in Asus GPU Tweak II.

So just try running a benchmark or something that will heat up the GPU so you can see if they're working.

Sadly the only other option that I know of is SpeedFan which absolutely does not work for me.

My MSI Gaming X will arrive tomorrow. My 7970 has been good for 4 years but it was time. This will be the first time I've ever upgraded anything in a pc, hope it goes smoothly.

Curious to how much I can get for my 7970 on EBay. Hoping for at least $100.

Next I think I may look into upgrading my 1866 ram, though I don't know how much difference it will make.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
My MSI Gaming X will arrive tomorrow. My 7970 has been good for 4 years but it was time. This will be the first time I've ever upgraded anything in a pc, hope it goes smoothly.

Curious to how much I can get for my 7970 on EBay. Hoping for at least $100.

Next I think I may look into upgrading my 1866 ram, though I don't know how much difference it will make.

The final bid should land somewhere between $100 and $150.

The Dude

So is everyone pretty much settled now and happy with their cards? Ive been thoroughly enjoying mine, so glad I switched to a Strix tho. I'll definitely look to Asus for my next GPU

I received and installed my MSI Gaming X today. This is the first time I've had an Nvidia card so I'm still getting used to the settings. For some reason there isn't a performance tab in the Nvidia Control Panel so I'm unable to see the GPU temp. I guess maybe my Z87 Sabertooth isn't compatible. What programs do y'all use to measure temp and fan speed?

So is everyone pretty much settled now and happy with their cards? Ive been thoroughly enjoying mine, so glad I switched to a Strix tho. I'll definitely look to Asus for my next GPU

Been happy with the zotac. Really wish I could get on board the strix like you guys.

For some reason there isn't a performance tab in the Nvidia Control Panel so I'm unable to see the GPU temp. I guess maybe my Z87 Sabertooth isn't compatible. What programs do y'all use to measure temp and fan speed?

You have quite a few options at your disposal, but I personally prefer to use MSI Afterburner. I keep it open on my 2nd monitor and I enable the on screen display so I can toggle it on and off in-game. Here's a Battlefield 1 example:

61 degrees. I wouldn't mind a different font for that OSD though.

Could you explain why you're happy you went to strix

I'm debating between it and The EVGA FTW3 edition.

Open up Rivatuner, click on the Raster 3D option and a fonts menu will pop up. :)

Can't believe I never knew about that myself.

I switched from the FTW3 to the Strix.

The Strix is unbelievably cool and quiet even when throwing 4K gaming at it. The FTW3 was perhaps the loudest PC component I've ever heard in a PC. I even had the FTW3 replaced and the replacement was just as bad.

So in the same machine, the Strix runs cooler and quieter. That's all I wanted.

The Dude

Been happy with the zotac. Really wish I could get on board the strix like you guys.

Yea man bummer, but your zotac is rocking it seems so you're solid. I think I lucked out for getting a really good one, not sure it qualifies for winning the silicon lotto but it's been a graat gpu.

Well I had a ftw3 and it just didn't feel like a 780 dollar gpu, was pretty warm compared to other gpus and the fans were really loud. My strix has been the total opposite. But some do have coil whine issues, but I'd definitely take that chance tryin to find a good strix

The highest I could get a stable OC on my EVGA SC2 is +40 MHz on the clock and +300 MHz on the memory with a temp target of 80 degrees and power target @ 120%. Not too shabby but not as good as others. On the plus I passed all of the fire strike stress tests. Max temps was 75 degrees during the stress test so I'm pretty happy.

Edit: Also I'm getting crashes only in Battlefield 1 every once in awhile, but after some research a lot of people seem to be having DirectX issues with that game.

Hell ya, its been a great card.

61 degrees. I wouldn't mind a different font for that OSD though.

Switch to raster 3d+ in RivaTuner. Looks much better.

Nvm, already answered.

I've been happy with my Asus Strix, the temps are still higher than others get with it but I'm certain that's due to my case's airflow (Fractal Design Define C). I did a test where I turned the fans up to max and had the top panel off and it seemed to get to around 70 max like that, rather than 75 with the top on and fans at a quiet speed. I feel like if I put top exhaust fans in I'd probably be able to get to those sub-70 temperatures, but don't particularly feel like doing so right now. Honestly I'm really just thinking of getting the Cooler Master H500P when it comes out, even if it's a bit bigger than I'd like.

The Dude

I've been happy with my Asus Strix, the temps are still higher than others get with it but I'm certain that's due to my case's airflow (Fractal Design Define C). I did a test where I turned the fans up to max and had the top panel off and it seemed to get to around 70 max like that, rather than 75 with the top on and fans at a quiet speed. I feel like if I put top exhaust fans in I'd probably be able to get to those sub-70 temperatures, but don't particularly feel like doing so right now. Honestly I'm really just thinking of getting the Cooler Master H500P when it comes out, even if it's a bit bigger than I'd like.

Yea man you really need a new case, that's pretty warm I feel for this card. You'll see a huge difference with a new case, my card I think has cracked 60 once at 4k. So you can definitely lower your Temps a good hit imho.

Yea man you really need a new case, that's pretty warm I feel for this card. You'll see a huge difference with a new case, my card I think has cracked 60 once at 4k. So you can definitely lower your Temps a good hit imho.

Curious what your fan setup is, particularly when it comes to exhaust. Do you have top exhaust fans?

The Dude

Curious what your fan setup is, particularly when it comes to exhaust. Do you have top exhaust fans?

Yea there's one big one.

My case is a cooler master haf 932, it's been a great case and probably the best I've ever owned. Now it might change in other games but prey so far has been amazingly cool, mid 50s at times

Yea there's one big one.

My case is a cooler master haf 932, it's been a great case and probably the best I've ever owned. Now it might change in other games but prey so far has been amazingly cool, mid 50s at times

I could add two 140mm exhaust fans to the top of my case, though it would throw off the pressure unless I make sure to run them slower then the front intakes. I'll need to see if I have some spare 140s I can throw in there to test their impact, I know I had some but then sold them unfortunately.

I think fans have been my single biggest annoyance with this new PC.

Full tower high airflow cases are always going to be better than mid-tower cases. I went for a mid this time around but I might switch to the new HAF.

Yep that's the one I have my eye on.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
It can't be just the case.

I have arguably the worst case when it comes to airflow and no exhaust fans or even any fan outside the ones on the radiator. I'm still getting low temps compared to even reviews. Thursday I have three fans on order coming and I'm putting two below the GPU and one as an exhaust. It'll get my temps even lower. RNG is definitely a real thing when it comes to getting something.

And we have a new contender. http://promotions.newegg.com/msi/17...wegg.com/msi/17-3974/1920x360.jpg&icid=400227

The Dude

It can't be just the case.

I have arguably the worst case when it comes to airflow and no exhaust fans or even any fan outside the ones on the radiator. I'm still getting low temps compared to even reviews. Thursday I have three fans on order coming and I'm putting two below the GPU and one as an exhaust. It'll get my temps even lower. RNG is definitely a real thing when it comes to getting something.

And we have a new contender. http://promotions.newegg.com/msi/17...wegg.com/msi/17-3974/1920x360.jpg&icid=400227

Sweet looking card.

Ok Guys, so my partner can bring me an Asus strix 1080ti for a very good price from HK but I'll lose local warranty. How common is the coil whine on this card? And is it something serious I should be concerned about?

Pagusas

Elden Member
Ok Guys, so my partner can bring me an Asus strix 1080ti for a very good price from HK but I'll lose local warranty. How common is the coil whine on this card? And is it something serious I should be concerned about?

Very common, and no it's an annoyance that presents it self mostly in benching, not in frame capped gaming, it doesn't affect hardware stability.

I only noticed the SLIGHT coil whine on my Strix when benching (uncapped framerates). At 60 FPS it does not exist. And it's so slight that when the card actually gets warn enough for the fans to spin at all, I don't hear it.

Your mileage may vary. It's an excellent card though.

Ok Guys you have been extremely helpful.

My choices are

EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW3 for 1100AUD With full warranty

Or

STRIX ASUS 108ti for 1050AUD sans warranty (imported)

What would you do in my shoes.

No matter what the card is, I would never want to buy one without any possibility of returning it if something were wrong. That goes for the FTW3 or the Strix. Video cards are too expensive to be stuck with a bad one.

So.... seems like in this case you might be better off with the FTW3.

I had been playing Witcher 3 on high settings at 1080p at 28ish fps on my 7970. Dropped my resolution down to 1080p just to see how much difference my MSI Gaming X 1080 TI made. At everything maxed including hair works I'm getting around 130 fps lol. It's like night and day. Im glad I decided to treat myself.

well guys I finally bought a display, I will be moving my rig to a room so I was looking for a 24" decent display for my new 1080ti, after being torn between some ips monitor I went for a Dell S2417DG as a I was looking for a budget gsync 165hz 2k monitor. I hope it's a good buy

well guys I finally bought a display, I will be moving my rig to a room so I was looking for a 24" decent display for my new 1080ti, after being torn between some ips monitor I went for a Dell S2417DG as a I was looking for a budget gsync 165hz 2k monitor. I hope it's a good buy

I bought two of these last year and I don't regret it. It's a beautiful monitor. There's no doubt it's a TN panel but as long as you're facing directly towards it and not from an angle, it's fine. The viewing angles on these are pretty bad IMO, but the color is fine and the performance of g-sync and 1440p/144hz is mouth-watering.

Lime

Hmm, on full stock load, I'm getting 78 degrees celsius in a Fractal R5 cabinet with a MSI Gaming 1080ti that I borrowed. My cabinet has 2 front fans (in-take), 1 side fan (out-take), and 1 rear fan (out-take). I've tried changing the sidefan to be an intake as well, but that only raises the temperature.

Tests show that it should be around 68 degrees on full load. Anyone have any ideas on what the problem is?

rtcn63

Hmm, on full stock load, I'm getting 78 degrees celsius in a Fractal R5 cabinet with a MSI Gaming 1080ti that I borrowed. My cabinet has 2 front fans (in-take), 1 side fan (out-take), and 1 rear fan (out-take). I've tried changing the sidefan to be an intake as well, but that only raises the temperature.

Tests show that it should be around 68 degrees on full load. Anyone have any ideas on what the problem is?

Define cases are known to be on the hot side, because of the silence emphasis. Your ambient temperature (if it's hot outside) would also be a thing.

Or maybe it's the card's bios. Is it the same version used in the tests you're referring to? At worst, you could use Afterburner to force a more aggressive fan curve.

Little off topic...anyone else upgrade from a 980ti? And if so, did you sell it? What could I possibly get for it? Unfortunately, it's just a founders card from MSI. But it is less than a year old

Lime

Define cases are known to be on the hot side, because of the silence emphasis. Your ambient temperature (if it's hot outside) would also be a thing.

Or maybe it's the card's bios. Is it the same version used in the tests you're referring to? At worst, you could use Afterburner to force a more aggressive fan curve.

Thanks, rtcn63.

Top Bottom