• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NY Times:Trump’s Chief Strategist Says News Media Should ‘Keep Its Mouth Shut’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

Trump's Chief Strategist Says News Media Should ‘Keep Its Mouth Shut'

WASHINGTON — Stephen K. Bannon, President Trump's chief White House strategist, laced into the American press during an interview on Wednesday evening, arguing that news organizations had been ”humiliated" by an election outcome few anticipated, and repeatedly describing the media as ”the opposition party" of the current administration.

”The media should be embarrassed and humiliated and keep its mouth shut and just listen for awhile," Mr. Bannon said during a telephone call.

”I want you to quote this," Mr. Bannon added. ”The media here is the opposition party. They don't understand this country. They still do not understand why Donald Trump is the president of the United States."

The scathing assessment — delivered by one of Mr. Trump's most trusted and influential advisers, in the first days of his presidency — comes at a moment of high tension between the news media and the administration, with skirmishes over the size of Mr. Trump's inaugural crowd and the president's false claims that millions of illegal votes by undocumented immigrants swayed the popular vote against him.

Mr. Bannon, who rarely grants interviews to journalists outside of Breitbart News, the provocative right-wing website he ran until last August, was echoing comments by Mr. Trump this weekend, when the president said he was in ”a running war" with the media and called journalists ”among the most dishonest people on earth."

During a call to discuss Sean M. Spicer, the president's press secretary, Mr. Bannon ratcheted up the criticism, offering a broad indictment of the news media as biased against Mr. Trump and out of touch with the American public. That's an argument familiar to readers of Breitbart and followers of Trump-friendly personalities like Sean Hannity.

”The elite media got it dead wrong, 100 percent dead wrong," Mr. Bannon said of the election, calling it ”a humiliating defeat that they will never wash away, that will always be there."

”The mainstream media has not fired or terminated anyone associated with following our campaign," Mr. Bannon said. ”Look at the Twitter feeds of those people: they were outright activists of the Clinton campaign." (He did not name specific reporters or editors.)

”That's why you have no power," Mr. Bannon added. ”You were humiliated."

Of all of Mr. Trump's advisers in the White House, Mr. Bannon is the one tasked with implementing the nationalist vision that Mr. Trump channeled during the later months of the campaign, one that stemmed from Mr. Bannon himself. And in many ways Mr. Trump's first week has put into action that vision — from the description of ”American Carnage'' Mr. Trump laid out in his inauguration speech, to a series of executive actions outlining policy on trade agreements, immigration, the building of a border wall and the demands that Mexico pay for it.

On the telephone, Mr. Bannon spoke in blunt but calm tones, peppered with a dose of profanities, and humorously referred to himself at one point as ”Darth Vader." He said, with ironic relish, that Mr. Trump was elected by a surge of support from ”the working class hobbits and deplorables."

The conversation was initiated by Mr. Bannon to offer praise for Mr. Spicer, who has been criticized this week for making false claims at the White House podium about the attendance of Mr. Trump's inaugural crowd; for calling reporters dishonest and lecturing them about what stories to write; and for failing to disavow Mr. Trump's lie about widespread voter fraud in the election.

Asked if he was concerned that Mr. Spicer had lost credibility with the press, Mr. Bannon chortled. ”Are you kidding me?" he said. ”We think that's a badge of honor. ‘Questioning his integrity' — are you kidding me? The media has zero integrity, zero intelligence, and no hard work."

”You're the opposition party," Mr. Bannon said. ”Not the Democratic Party. You're the opposition party. The media's the opposition party."

Both sides/give him a chance/emails

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
WASHINGTON — Stephen K. Bannon, President Trump's chief White House strategist, laced into the American press during an interview on Wednesday evening, arguing that news organizations had been ”humiliated" by an election outcome few anticipated, and repeatedly describing the media as ”the opposition party" of the current administration.

”The media should be embarrassed and humiliated and keep its mouth shut and just listen for awhile," Mr. Bannon said during a telephone call.

”I want you to quote this," Mr. Bannon added. ”The media here is the opposition party. They don't understand this country. They still do not understand why Donald Trump is the president of the United States."

Mr. Bannon, who rarely grants interviews to journalists outside of Breitbart News, the provocative right-wing website he ran until last August, was echoing comments by Mr. Trump this weekend, when the president said he was in ”a running war" with the media and called journalists ”among the most dishonest people on earth."

During a call to discuss Sean M. Spicer, the president's press secretary, Mr. Bannon ratcheted up the criticism, offering a broad indictment of the news media as biased against Mr. Trump and out of touch with the American public. That's an argument familiar to readers of Breitbart and followers of Trump-friendly personalities like Sean Hannity.

”The elite media got it dead wrong, 100 percent dead wrong," Mr. Bannon said of the election, calling it ”a humiliating defeat that they will never wash away, that will always be there."

More at the link https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/26/business/media/stephen-bannon-trump-news-media.html

Delete it I got beat.

SeanTSC

Fuck this Neo Nazi scumbag. I'm still completely filled with rage that a literal white supremacist Neo Nazi is in the White House.

UberTag

Bannon's fake news empire is running the show now, folks.
Everyone else should just get the fuck out of town unless they want their reputations destroyed.

Linkark07

Banned
Seeing what is happening in the US right now reminds me what happened in Panama from 2009-2014. It is if I used a time machine and traveled back to the past.

Not surprising. The media is now the number one enemy of the Trump administration. They want to discredit and dismantle it to replace it with their own. Bit like what happened in Russia.

Don't call the Trump campaign fascist they said. Just give them a chance they said. He's not as bad as his campaigning they said...

Well look at this shit I say.

Every fucking day so far they manage to top themselves. I will gladly resubscribe to both the Times and Washington Post when my subscriptions are up.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
A war against reality. What year is this?

The good news here? This is going to unite the media and they're going to return to the journalistic levels of the past.

UberTag

this should scare fucking everybody
Breitbart has declared war on facts and information.
The voice of racism in America is now roosting in the White House and it has no intention of ever leaving until the country is purged and made great again.

BahamutPT

On the telephone, Mr. Bannon spoke in blunt but calm tones, peppered with a dose of profanities, and humorously referred to himself at one point as “Darth Vader.” He said, with ironic relish, that Mr. Trump was elected by a surge of support from “the working class hobbits and deplorables.”

Even grosser.

Hypron

an entire administration worth of "everyone is stupid except me"

After reading some Facebook comments, I think that's a recurring theme among Trump supporters. They'll babble inane bullshit and then proceed to act superior to other people.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
People need to fight very hard for the next four years for the right of expression, individuality, free speech, and to stand for the fact that people do have a voice.

There also needs to be an effort to express facts, not opinions, not 'alternative facts' poising as facts, and something isn't a fact just because someone believes it. The actual facts.

It feels so twisted here we are in 2017, and we're struggling just to have simple information be reliable and freedom of speech to be a thing and separate of said information among a sea of people who want what they believe to be a fact and in the right, even if facts don't align with their thinking or reasoning. Rather than value alternative viewpoints, other's freedom of speech, challenge one own's views with the information available, and work in the factual rather than supportive of one's personal thinking bubble. Instead they'd rather twist information to fit their own views, leave out what doesn't fit, and silence opposing viewpoints.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Let's be fair, here, though: this isn't just Bannon. Sarah Palin said this. Right-wing media say this daily. Trump said this for years. This isn't new.

If he thinks the media alone are the opposition party, he might want to step back and reassess the level of opposition he's going to be in for.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Good on NY times to write this. Bannon needs to be shown who he is for people that do not know.
It's scarier than that.

Trump's core supporters DO know that Bannon is a racist, alt-right bigot who despises any media organisation who dares to be centre or centre left.

Not only do they know, but they will applaud him for saying this. All this from a base who want to "protect" the constitution (Read: They want their guns), yet care little for freedom of the press.

This is advocating outright authoritarianism, and frankly, shouldn't be a shock to anyone. How the GOP can stand by such a person is beyond me. Power over ethics every bloody time.

zethren

Banned
Bannon, your power won't last long. You will lose it, and you will fall hard. This charade can only go on for so long.

Fuck off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom