• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Over 1000 Egyptians Killed after Military Rejected US/EU Negotiated Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

linsivvi

lol Lindsey Graham pretending like he actually has the balls to stand up and say something like he claims he said. Fucking chicken hawk.

Sending two of the Senate three stooges to Egypt to negotiate is like the ultimate troll move.

Like anything good is ever going to come out of this with those two fools.

If protestors are shooting back and attacking state buildings I think.

Don't misinterpret me: I'm not saying the police/military are justified to shoot protestors, in fact I think the way the military has handled this is simply moronic. But a portion of the blame for the bloodhshed lies with the particular protestors who've escalated the conflict by shooting and burning.

Again, we aren't talking about deaths in gunfights here. This is the assumption of collective guilt.

People that are protesting, or people that are violent, might not even be affiliated with the Ikhwan... there is general anger about the usurpation of the government. People getting shot as 'terrorists' are not all simply Ikhwan members.

Not that one either. It's a civil conflict at this point between the military and MB.

Both of which have supporters among the civilian population. There are anti-army protestors who have no affiliation with MB and there are pro-Sisi youth groups that violently support the military.

This is where the casualty reports get really jumbled ebcause there are civilian on civilian casualties now.

Matt

Sending two of the Senate three stooges to Egypt to negotiate is like the ultimate troll move.

Like anything good is ever going to come out of this with those two fools.

Umm, I'm far from a fan of either of them, but as far a foreign policy gravitas goes, those were two of the most appropriate Senators to send.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Amusing thoughts by speculawyer and Angry Fork, as usual.

OT: The thing with the situation in Egypt right now is that there isn't any legitimitely OK political force there that has a strong support from the local population that could actually help develop Egypt. It's either the MB fundamentalists or the corrupt army dictators. Loss-loss however you look at it.

I'd take the corrupt army dictators over the MB asshats any day.

numble

I'd take the corrupt army dictators over the MB asshats any day.

With the MB in power you got ineffectual rulers that needed to learn to build coalitions or end up losing elections. With army dictators you get radicalized groups that turn to violence. This is how al-Qaeda literally was born with Gamaat Islamiya arising from Mubarak repression, and now you have the MB turning to violence in response to Sisi's repression.

Did you not read the article and how the MB told the US/EU negotiators that they were willing to agree to the negotiated deal and disperse half of their protests? The deal fell through because of the military, not the MB.

Mr. Graham recalled arguing with General Sisi. “If Morsi had to stand for re-election anytime soon, he’d lose badly,” the senator remembered saying. “Do you agree?”

“Oh, absolutely,” the general answered.

“Then what you’re doing now is making him a martyr,” Mr. Graham said. “It’s no longer about how badly they ruled the country and how they marginalized the democratic institutions. It’s now about you.”

I think this is a pretty good point. There are people out there protesting the principle of the takeover without necessarily being MB supporters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom