• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Tim Cook threatened Uber removal from App Store b/c of secret iPhone tracking

Status
Not open for further replies.

NandoGip

I feel so validated every time a story about uber pops up. 2 months ago i posted about how uber needs to burn to the ground and i got roasted by 15 commenters in a row

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I used to defend Uber back in the day, especially as it pertained to cab companies, who were in almost every way, much worse services and employers. Not any more. This company is like a petri dish for brogrammer libertarian horror.

But it seems like Apple took no actual action except to scold him? Seems like there should be some sort of punitive response to such shitty behavior.
They're business partners.

giphy.gif

I feel so validated every time a story about uber pops up. 2 months ago i posted about how uber needs to burn to the ground and i got roasted by 15 commenters in a row
giphy.gif

Plumbob

I don't really see the big deal here. It seems that Uber was basically storing a mac address or equivalent (similar to an IP address, but linked to your device rather than your network) to prevent fraud.

Uber is not tracking you; the server simply checks if you have already signed up when unauthenticated. This is against Apple's rules for various reasons (portability when upgrading to a new model of phone, used phone sales, etc), but it makes business sense for Uber to be checking that each device is indeed unique.

It seems that most of the replies in this thread aren't well-researched.

I think people are bothered that Uber didn't just break the rules, they did so in a way that was extremely flagrant. If they'll lie to Apple, they'll almost certainly lie to you.

I don't really see the big deal here. It seems that Uber was basically storing a mac address or equivalent (similar to an IP address, but linked to your device rather than your network) to prevent fraud.

Uber is not tracking you; the server simply checks if you have already signed up when unauthenticated. This is against Apple's rules for various reasons (portability when upgrading to a new model of phone, used phone sales, etc), but it makes business sense for Uber to be checking that each device is indeed unique.

I'd consider them "geofencing" code from Apple in order to pass their app reviews as generally hostile and deceitful behavior to everyone involved.

Magni

It's not the crime, it's the cover-up. The reason why they did it makes sense. But it breaks Apple's rules. The issue here IMO is that, rather than talk to Apple, they tried to hide that shit from them.

As a software engineer, I've been approached multiple times by Uber (not bragging, they're hiring like crazy and all of my engineer friends have been approached by their recruiters), but I could never work for them because I don't want to be told to write unethical code like that geofence. Fuck that.

I agree but as a CEO of Apple he has immense power in that he can destroy entire businesses if he wants to. While he wants to protect privacy Uber doesn't have competition in many places and iPhone users would be left with no app if he just got rid of it

I wish Lyft would come back to Houston so I could drop Uber

99% of customers would look negatively at Apple for doing it.
You're right - that's reasonable.

Fliesen

"Stop the trickery". That must have been an amazing conversation.

Apple's ongoing commitment to their user's privacy is something i greatly appreciate.

Brakke

Banned

Yeah the specific "tracking" claim is kinda weak and not as nefarious as it sounds. And it's clearly against the rules and Uber's attempts to cheat are slimy as heck.

Kyzer

Banned
I agree but as a CEO of Apple he has immense power in that he can destroy entire businesses if he wants to. While he wants to protect privacy Uber doesn't have competition in many places and iPhone users would be left with no app if he just got rid of it

I wish Lyft would come back to Houston so I could drop Uber

Doesnt matter, letting companies get away with breaking laws and violating consumer privacy because lots of people use the company is not a good precedent

You dont need to store them after deletion against all regulations to make sure theyre unique. Nor does it making sense for Ubers business model have any relevancy to their adherence to the rules. Camouflaging from apples engineers so they wouldnt find out and it getting to the point of Tim Cook having to order them to stop the trickery seems like a big enough deal to not have trouble seeing whats wrong here

Rizific

it doesnt sound like the "tracking" i thought it was going to be. so they leave a hidden tag in the phone to prevent repeated abuse of their coupon system. seems rather harmless, but i get it. if i uninstall something id expect all its shit to go with it. but if this was a blatant breach of app store rules, why wasnt the app removed immediately after being found out?

it doesnt sound like the "tracking" i thought it was going to be. so they leave a hidden tag in the phone to prevent repeated abuse of their coupon system. seems rather harmless, but i get it. if i uninstall something id expect all its shit to go with it. but if this was a blatant breach of app store rules, why wasnt the app removed immediately after being found out?
Don't think it even did anything to the phone. The phone was identifiable through its own hardware, and Uber made note of the fingerprints of phones using its app. The phones weren't tagged, just had their fingerprint recorded.

I also have a hard time being app that incensed about this particular breach of Apples rules. There's shit ACTUALLY worth throwing shade at uber for.

I use Uber, but I have the app turned off in Location Services.

Otherwise the app can track my location "Always", even when the app isn't opened.

Every other app I have has Location Services set to "Only When App Is In Use".

Still against Apple's rule tho.

Zaph

Wonder if Jobs would have just dumped the app then phoned Uber to let them know?

"You're holding this L wrong - Steve"

Joking aside, I think Cook did the right thing here. Uber seriously broke their rules, but removing the app immediately would hurt Apple's customers as much as Uber.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit

LOL, they geofenced Apple then lied to the company. Uber is a trash company and if they're willing to do this, you have to wonder what other shady practice's haven't been uncovered yet.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Probably doesn't mean much, but I've completely deleted Uber from my phone and switched to Lyft. I won't give this shady company another dollar ever.

Oppo

it does have a silver lining though. i mean the idea of Uber trying anything like this again with their iOS app, knowing Apple has a knife to the company's throat and a poor opinion, you gotta think that's a pretty good disincentive.

Should have just revoked the app and publicly stated why to prove their stance on privacy. Also I'm disappointed that (as far as the article says, though maybe it just wasn't reported) they didn't make Uber delete their collection of fingerprint info.

Well, now we have a precedent. We know how far a "start up" can take it. I think Uber has been pushing the boundaries for quite a while and at first, I understood. The old guard of the taxi companies and other private ride hailing services were trailing behind in a mobile era and Uber offered convenience and fairly good prices. So you can't make an omelette I guess. But, these past few years they have been playing extra dirty when I feel they didn't really need to. Especially with their competitors and detractors(local governments).

Apple should have pulled the App for a week to prove a point. Uber has to be punished for this and we need a new precedent.

Uber ain't shit.

I still like the song Uber Everywhere tho, cause "Lyft Everywhere" don't sound as nice.

Skrr skrr

(Yes I'm aware the song was not made by Uber in any way).

smurfx

get some go again
Weird if Apple is so pissed at Uber considering they have been featured heavily in Apple keynotes, and I'm talking after 2015 too.
uber might be a possible acquisition later on in the future. you know apple wants in on any possible future automated taxi service.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Apples commitment to privacy makes me happy. They pretty much told the government to fuck off when they asked them to install a tiny back door into iOS "just this once".

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
It's not paranoia at all. They're actually doing these things. I don't know what you mean.

Ya and so do Google. Literally everything you do online is not private. Just get over it. Or live under the rock I guess.

n64coder

Phones already have a serial number which is the IMEI. Why couldn't that be used? I don't think it can be spoofed, right?

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
With it being readily apparent how much of a garbage company Uber is, if you still support them you're basically saying your need for convenience outweighs your commitment to honesty and fair dealing.

Don't support Uber.

Usobuko

Banned
Uber has runs-in with Google, Apple, Female Employees, Anti-Trump Protestors.

What else do I miss?

It's fucking tragic in today's age where consumer are limited to so little options where the big guy is funded by VC/PE/MNC, loses billions a year, constantly was shown to be a shitty company and yet will still proceed to be the dominant ride-sharing app in future.

I hope every competitors in every region fight hard and not let Uber casually stroll to dominance.

Ya and so do Google. Literally everything you do online is not private. Just get over it. Or live under the rock I guess.

Uber was keeping tabs on people who weren't doing anything with their services, so this apology for their behavior sucks for a couple of reasons.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Guess people in Vancouver gets the last laugh. Uber is banned here for now so I never bothered installing their app ha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom