• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oaklahoma now has more earthquakes than California

Status
Not open for further replies.

commedieu

Banned
Your link re-iterates what I've already stated above. The earthquakes are linked waste-water well injection, which is not hydraulic fracture.

The waste-water was generated at oil and gas sites, but it wasn't that process that caused the earthquakes. There are other ways to get rid of that water, and many states are starting to pass laws to take care of that issue.

Right, saw that and threw it in the post. Thanks for the education. The earthquakes in question, in OP.

However, fracking, done poorly, can be attributed to earthquakes. I guess, is the message?

Right, saw that and threw it in the post. Thanks for the education. The earthquakes in question, in OP.

However, fracking, done poorly, can be attributed to earthquakes. I guess, is the message?

Fracking causes an earthquake every single time it is performed. As far as I have read, there are no earthquakes of significant magnitude that can be linked to fracking.

gwiz210

I live in Oklahoma City. Let me tell this place is as close to a real life Midgar as humanity has ever gotten and its only looking to get worse.

Garlador

I live in Oklahoma. It's getting VERY annoying, and the thing is they're getting stronger and more frequent. "Annoying" will, inevitably, turn into "dangerous" and "deadly" over time.

I still can't believe how much they've increased simply in the past couple of years.
oklahoma_chart.jpg

commedieu

Banned
Fracking causes an earthquake every single time it is performed. As far as I have read, there are no earthquakes of significant magnitude that can be linked to fracking.

I guess the USGS labels them as "FELT" earthquakes. So the % of the "FELT" earthquakes, would presumably be from bad /mismanaged fracking operations..?

I'm just asking.

NateDrake

I live in Oklahoma City. Let me tell this place is as close to a real life Midgar as humanity has ever gotten and its only looking to get worse.

As long as the oil industry doesn't employ Sephiroth and SOLDIER and start injecting people with oil/natural gas or fracking fluid to make them super-human, you are safe. I think you should form AVALANCHE.

I guess the USGS labels them as "FELT" earthquakes. So the % of the "FELT" earthquakes, would presumably be from bad /mismanaged fracking operations..?

I'm just asking.

No. The strength of those earthquakes are entirely random. It's impossible to say that a fracking operation will cause a 0.4 magnitude earthquake or a 3.1 magnitude earthquake. It is very safe to say however, that fracking will likely not cause an earthquake of much higher magnitude. There just isn't enough deformation occurring.

I would reckon that a person who lives next to the railroad tracks is feeling more ground movement on a daily basis than 95% of earthquakes relating to fracking.

I blame the real life President Shinra, that ass clown Clay Bennett. I hope if there is ever a bad earthquake in Oklahoma he is the only person to perish.

I live in Oklahoma. It's getting VERY annoying, and the thing is they're getting stronger and more frequent. "Annoying" will, inevitably, turn into "dangerous" and "deadly" over time.

I still can't believe how much they've increased simply in the past couple of years.
oklahoma_chart.jpg

The Sonics were stolen away in 2008-2009. Clearly the gods are unhappy and this is how they are punishing Oklahoma.

commedieu

Banned
No. The strength of those earthquakes are entirely random. It's impossible to say that a fracking operation will cause a 0.4 magnitude earthquake or a 3.1 magnitude earthquake. It is very safe to say however, that fracking will likely not cause an earthquake of much higher magnitude. There just isn't enough deformation occurring.

I would reckon that a person who lives next to the railroad tracks is feeling more ground movement on a daily basis than 95% of earthquakes relating to fracking.

man, its cool to ask a geologist questions :)

Thank you.

NateGrigs

I'm just asking.

Fracking requires a tremendous amount of water. This water comes up with the oil/gas (along with all the chemicals that they use to maximize the effectiveness of the frack) and needs to be disposed of somewhere. Earthquakes are felt when this wastewater is reinjected somewhere else.

More fracks= more wastewater=more earthquakes.

And yes, there is a tremendous amount of misinformation on both sides and you shouldn't trust gasland.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom