• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Octopath Travelers 1 Out Now on PS4/5, Octopath Traveler 2 Out Now on Xbox and Xbox/PC Game Pass

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Octopath Traveler 1 is also back on Game Pass.

Octopath Traveler 1 also shadow dropped on PS4/5.

2WRJTP4.jpeg

77JJXyc.jpeg

Last edited:

adamsapple

I don’t see it. Maybe I need to restart my Xbox.

Start the install with the web store link, it's up there.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Octopath-PS_06-05-24-1024x576.jpg

Publisher Square Enix and developer ACQUIRE have released Octopath Traveler for PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4 via PlayStation Store for $59.99. A bundle containing both Octopath Traveler and Octopath Traveler II is also available for $74.99.

Octopath Traveler first launched for Switch on July 13, 2018, followed by PC via Steam on June 7, 2019, Stadia on April 28, 2020, and Xbox One on March 25, 2021.

Here is an overview of Octopath Traveler, via Square Enix:

About
Eight travelers. Eight adventures. Eight roles to play. Embark on an epic journey across the vast and wondrous world of Orsterra and discover the captivating stories of each of the eight travelers.
Key Features

• Play as eight different characters, each with their own stories to uncover and side quests to complete.
  • Explore the enchanting yet perilous world of Orsterra, spanning eight vast regions and discover each character’s full story as their journey unfolds.
  • Use each character’s distinctive abilities (Path Actions), skills and talents in frenetic battles.
  • Enjoy the accessible yet deep turn-based combat battle system and break through enemy lines by identifying and targeting their weaknesses.
  • Solve side quests and story scenarios in a few different ways and take decisions that shape your path.
  • Experience visuals inspired by retro 2D RPGs with beautiful realistic elements set in a 3D world.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Nice adds, wow.

You would’ve thought this would be a nice Xbox Showcase shadow drop on Sunday rather than on a random Wednesday though

Last edited:

adamsapple

Nice adds, wow.

You would’ve thought this would be a nice Xbox Showcase shadow drop on Sunday rather than on a random Wednesday though

Yeah, very unusual to drop it at this random time. I thought this would be in the showcase as well.

They also dropped Octo 1 on PS4 at the same time. Must be morning in Japan :p

Last edited:

adamsapple

This fantastic thread and gem.

I am convinced that this violates my rights
Playstation gamers cannot be treated as second class consumers
Imagine, I pay $70 to anyone who subscribed to GamePass 10 months ago to play Cod for free, not for free, we who play on PS5 will be paying for it.
Ideally, we, Playstation players, should avoid this game until some promotion is made, If MS decided to put COD on the gamepass, it should take the money out of its own pocket.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

Very cool to see this make it over to the platform. By all accounts this one seems vastly superior to the original.

For all the negative xbox news as of late - there sure are alot Japanese of games releasing like SMTV, Front Mission 2, Raiden Mikados, Ni No Kunis, the Cotton games, Irem shmups, Assault Suit Leynos 2 - to name a couple im interested in.
I wonder if SMT Nocturne has a shot of releasing?

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Very cool to see this make it over to the platform. By all accounts this one seems vastly superior to the original.

For all the negative xbox news as of late - there sure are alot Japanese of games releasing like SMTV, Front Mission 2, Raiden Mikados, Ni No Kunis, the Cotton games, Irem shmups, Assault Suit Leynos 2 - to name a couple im interested in.
I wonder if SMT Nocturne has a shot of releasing?
If Xbox has to buy Japan, just to get their games on game pass, I’m all for it.

adamsapple

$59.99 seems like a high price to charge for a year+ later port. But it's Square Enix so whaddaya fuckin' expect.

GHound

Gold Member
"Octopath Traveler rated for PS4&5 in Taiwan."
"Guess they'll be announcing that soon, yeah?"
Like a day later...
"Octopath Traveler available for PS4&5."

Ice Cube Reaction GIF

Square is that one dude on the team who goes into ranked but refuses to use a mic.
In a game with no text chat.

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Are there any useful details out there on the particulars for this port? Wondering if the PS5 version runs at 4K for example. I bought the game on Xbox a little while back (because of course, I thought they wouldn't port it to Playstation if they hadn't already), but I'd be willing to rebuy for that.

DryvBy

I tried this game a year ago and I have no idea why it's popular. What am I missing?

And I love JRPGs but the intro was rough.

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
I tried this game a year ago and I have no idea why it's popular. What am I missing?

And I love JRPGs but the intro was rough.
It's not for everyone but I'd give it more time.

There aren't many turn based rpgs aside from pokemon coming out these days. Maybe that had something to do with it.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Just the character select screen is awesome on part 2 before you even start. Can select day or night for new artwork and music.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

I guess it coincides with XBOX getting (digital only as well) Octopath Traveler II today (which actually shadow dropped on Game Pass). Both platforms now have both games.

I want part 1 on PS5 but I'm not gonna pay more than 15 for it, it's an old game and digital only so I'll just wait, plenty to play in the meantime.

Same ol G

do you have a source for that?

Didn't the first one sell more than the second one?
Source wikipedia

Sales​

Square Enix issued two apologies after many in Japan were unable to purchase a physical copy due to stock shortages the week, and the following week, of its release.[42] The game sold 188,238 physical copies within its first two months on sale in Japan, and placed at number one on the all-format sales chart.[43] By August 2018, the game had sold over a million copies worldwide.[44] As of March 2019, the combined physical and digital sales of the game have exceeded 1.5 million copies worldwide.[45][46] The PC version was among the best-selling new releases of the month on Steam.[47][c] Square Enix wrote in March 2020 that combined retail and digital sales of Octopath Traveler had surpassed two million copies.[49][50] As of February 2021, the combined physical and digital sales of the game have exceeded 2.5 million copies worldwide.[51] By September 2022, it was announced that the game had sold more than 3 million copies worldwide.[52]

Top Bottom