• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift available for preorder for $599.99, shipping in March

I'm not surprised Vive is winning CES best of awards and that is great for VR. It brings the better room tracking right now and they are demoing the hell out of that. As for the headsets themselves, we've seen the feedback and Oculus may very well have the best headset overall outside of the full room tracking. I'll switch preorders in a heartbeat when the time comes if Oculus is generally inferior but I'm not seeing that outside of the standup stuff which is something I'm nervous about as long as the headsets are wired.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Neither. I'm concerned that Vive-exclusive games can't support controllers, or at least not unless there's an alternative control method available. Vive developers will be far more tempted to just use the motion controllers since every single customer has them, and that means creating a control scheme that will not be suitable for seated play.

Are you just arguing that one HMD offer a better VR experience because it uses a normal controller? This is ridiculous.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
A better seated VR experience. I'm not being subtle about this point here, so I don't see how you can miss it.

It doesn't matter. The Vive controllers as well as the Oculus touch are not dedicated to track the walking around, but to track the hands (and fingers) movement. You know, the whole VR thing is to trick your brain that you are in a "reality", not just a fancier screen that goes around you.

A better seated VR experience. I'm not being subtle about this point here, so I don't see how you can miss it.

https://twitter.com/RtoVR/status/685943937169674240

HTC Shows Vive Pre Working Great for Seated VR at CES http://ow.ly/WQmUl @HTCVive
CYT2YE4W8AA81eD.jpg

artsi

The product didn't happen in a vacuum. As CEO he was directly involved in influencing the direction of the product design and almost certainly believes strongly in the decisions they made. The situation is drastically different from a PR person whose job it is to paint a rosy picture without any real influence over the product.

Oh, I don't argue against that. I'm just saying that as the founder he wouldn't say anything else even if Vive was destroying it (it isn't), so it's silly to blame him for saying that.

tokkun

Neither. I'm concerned that Vive-exclusive games can't support controllers, or at least not unless there's an alternative control method available. Vive developers will be far more tempted to just use the motion controllers since every single customer has them, and that means creating a control scheme that will not be suitable for seated play.

Not sure that's any different from what I said, but OK.

Personally, I don't think that exclusives are going to be a big thing between PC-based headsets beyond the launch window. If most games are exclusive to one headset, then I think VR is in serious trouble. In any case you are not going to be able to play Vive exclusives on a Rift and vice versa even if they have identical controllers. If you are going to make a decision about one headset or another based mainly on exclusive games, then the content of those games is probably going to matter more than the controller.

I'm not surprised Vive is winning CES best of awards and that is great for VR. It brings the better room tracking right now and they are demoing the hell out of that. As for the headsets themselves, we've seen the feedback and Oculus may very well have the best headset overall outside of the full room tracking. I'll switch preorders in a heartbeat when the time comes if Oculus is generally inferior but I'm not seeing that outside of the standup stuff which is something I'm nervous about as long as the headsets are wired.

Yup. Vive sounds like it demos well, but none of it's advantages are going to work for me at home where I don't have the clear room space to walk around.

Deadstar

I'm going Vive simply for the fact that it has a camera on the front. Not being able to drink water while playing and having to either fumble around for the glass or to take off the headset seems like an annoying problem. Being able to pop back into the "real" world is definitely a breakthrough in this regard.

Yup. Vive sounds like it demos well, but none of it's advantages are going to work for me at home where I don't have the clear room space to walk around.

To be fair, all of the room-scale Oculus Touch demo's have gotten incredibly positive responses too. But everyone already played them 6 months ago and CES awards typically go to new things at CES.

I'm going Vive simply for the fact that it has a camera on the front. Not being able to drink water while playing and having to either fumble around for the glass or to take off the headset seems like an annoying problem. Being able to pop back into the "real" world is definitely a breakthrough in this regard.

While I agree that a camera is the better solution for that, the rift has a spring loaded connection to the straps so you can pull it off your face and put it on your forehead or take it on and off in seconds without having to readjust straps or velcro or anything. Not ideal, but not something I'd base a purchasing decision on.

What the fuck does this have to do with the Rift, which is what this thread is about?

How about you stop shit posting?

The Rift as a headset obviously has other headset competition, and as such, such comparisons are allowed in such a thread.
No need to accuse someone of such things, particularly when they are on topic.

Yeah, that's a nice feature. Rift looks pretty easy to slip on and off though, so I doubt it'll be too big a deal.

Oculus Rift ($849.00 ) x 1 = $849.00

Taxes, Surcharges and Fees: Applicable shipping, taxes and duties will be added to and charged in your payment upon shipment of the unit.

Order Total: $914.00

Make of that what you will.

DK2 was $60 at the door in duty, That was $350 so guesstimates are around $1,042.82. Total. That's about $50 shy of what I paid for my current 3 Year old PC.

I can't justify it at this point in time :( I am also only getting 6400 Score on the 3DMark demo. So definite back burner here.

Bsigg12

DK2 was $60 at the door in duty, That was $350 so guesstimates are around $1,042.82. Total. That's about $50 of what I paid for my current 3 Year old PC.

I can't justify it at this point in time :( I am also only getting 6400 Score on the 3DMark demo. So definite back burner here.

There's really no rush to jump into VR. It's only going to get better with time.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
The Rift as a headset obviously has other headset competition, and as such, such comparisons are allowed in such a thread.
No need to accuse someone of such things, particularly when they are on topic.

While that specific reply wasn't an issue, his "lol look Vive won all these CES awards" post earlier likely influenced people's reactions. Console warz are back it seems.

Hawk269

I may get laughed at for this, but I have my pre-order locked in, but I am just curious about something...

How does the Oculus Rift actually hook up to your computer? From what I read, you plug some stuff into the USB 3.0 ports and then there is the HDMI cable you need to plug in. My confusion stems from the HDMI connection. If the Rift is connected to the GPU HDMI, when you boot the computer does everything display onto the Rift screen?

For my setup I have my gaming rig hooked up via HDMI into my Denon 4k/4.4.4 capable receiver and then to my Panasonic 4k 65" Screen. If the Rift connects to the GPU HDMI, I loose the ability to use my 7.1 audio system if I choose not to use the Rift's Audio.

Can anyone shed a little light on this for me? I know it sounds silly, but I never tried the Rift or any of the Dev versions, so just curious if I am missing something.

Spontaneous interview on the CES floor someone got with Palmer today while streaming to /r/oculus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzaqWRPT0EM

He goes into further detail about the price choice and some other stuff. Awesome chance interview outa nowhere, and Palmer is a machine.

I'm always so impressed at Palmer's ability to concisely convey a message and not sound like a corporate robot. Really likable guy. As far as I'm concerned he has justified the higher than expected price, I believe his reasoning.

I love this quote, it hits it on the head:
"For the average person, not the gaming enthusiast, it's an all-in investment of $1500 going down to $1300. It's just not an appreciable drop."

Argyle

I may get laughed at for this, but I have my pre-order locked in, but I am just curious about something...

How does the Oculus Rift actually hook up to your computer? From what I read, you plug some stuff into the USB 3.0 ports and then there is the HDMI cable you need to plug in. My confusion stems from the HDMI connection. If the Rift is connected to the GPU HDMI, when you boot the computer does everything display onto the Rift screen?

For my setup I have my gaming rig hooked up via HDMI into my Denon 4k/4.4.4 capable receiver and then to my Panasonic 4k 65" Screen. If the Rift connects to the GPU HDMI, I loose the ability to use my 7.1 audio system if I choose not to use the Rift's Audio.

Can anyone shed a little light on this for me? I know it sounds silly, but I never tried the Rift or any of the Dev versions, so just curious if I am missing something.

I would imagine you could use a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter or similar, unless you're using all the outputs on your graphics card.

Schryver

Yeah good question. Someone with the previous versions must know how this works. BTW did you have to change any settings to get your PC to receiver to TV to work properly for gaming? I tried my new receiver with my PC for the first time the other day and the framerate was whack for games for no apparent reason.

It's still on June, makes you wonder if that date is just some sort of place holder.

It makes sense, because there is a limited amount of people, enthusiast VR and/or hardcore gamers for a product like this. That type of audience will make their pre-order in the first 48 hours, and that's it. The rest, if interested, will wait until there is retail units and they can read reviews and there are more games in the market, others will buy their unit when they try the CV1 in a friend's house, and others will wait for a second gen device.

I have a DK2, and the Consumer version may be different, but... the DK2 connects to your PC via an HDMI port (along with another USB wire). If your PC is like mine and has only ONE HDMI port available (the one you use for your monitor for everyday use), you can use a HDMI <-> DVI adapter that comes packaged with it instead. My PC thankfully had a DVI port free, so I just used that. It's allowed me to keep the Rift connected and working on my PC without sacrificing my monitor.

But yes, if you simply connected the Rift to the HDMI port that you normally use for your monitor, your PC would just use the Rift as a monitor. And I don't think any OS (besides maybe Steam OS??) is designed to work in stereoscopic mode yet, so if you try to navigate your OS with the Rift on like this, it's really headache-inducing (literally).

If they'd announced the price with Palmer saying that a day before preorders went up, this entire backlash would have been avoided.
Naw, it would have helped a little, but the damage was already done by that point. What they really needed to do to protect against the backlash was to have let people know shortly after the decision was made to go for quality over price. I'm not saying they should have announced the price back then, but they should have gotten the news out about the change in priorities. The only reason for the backlash was the previous messaging that the Rift was going to be priced for the mass market, as cheap as possible, maybe around $300-$350 or a little more if really necessary. The price isn't bad, $600 for a brand new technology, for a quality piece of VR kit, but the backlash was one of dashed expectations and hope.

Hawk269

Yeah good question. Someone with the previous versions must know how this works. BTW did you have to change any settings to get your PC to receiver to TV to work properly for gaming? I tried my new receiver with my PC for the first time the other day and the framerate was whack for games for no apparent reason.

Nope. It was as simple as plug n play and worked perfect. No issues with frame rate or anything. Make sure the TV is in game mode or pc mode depending on your TV. But for me, I get perfect 60fps, no issues with 4:4:4 chroma.

Animator

I really hope once they know the initial order volume they will adjust production so those of us with current ship dates in May/June get it earlier. If not on release, on April at least.

Top Bottom