• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift (+ Oculus Touch) is $399 for limited time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icarus

Received mine today... for the life of me I can not get my PC to recognize a sensor via USB setup. I've got a ticket into Oculus support (tried every USB port on the box). We'll see what they say.

If I can't get it to work, it goes back. Terrible setup experience so far.

Renekton

Received mine today... for the life of me I can not get my PC to recognize a sensor via USB setup. I've got a ticket into Oculus support (tried every USB port on the box). We'll see what they say.

I remember one 3.0 (blue) and one 2.0 (black) for the sensors.

Some people ended up getting PCIe USB adapter for it.

Izuna

Banned

Is the light coming up on the Sensor? If not, it's broken.

Pavaloo

finally got through setting it up

can't wait for that 3rd sensor as it's already a little iffy in my set up
also definitely gonna need extensions for the headset itself lol

so here's a question: anyone run into the issue where the audio from the headset stops working after a few minutes? I restarted the oculus app 3 times and a few minutes into playing with the floating robot the audio cuts out every time.super frustrating. not worth trying without proper sound!

Guys, I really need your help.

I just got a OR + Touch (should be here by sunday) and I really would like to play things like Echo and Super Hot, but my playspace is kinda weird.

What would be the best locations to put the cameras?

I would be seated/standing where the chair is.

20196785_10155508734487346_962219075_n.jpg

20206238_10155508734652346_1910654697_n.jpg

HowZatOZ

Banned
How is the room scaling for Oculus compared to Vive? I think for me that's my bigger selling point, because that will be the definitive virtual experience.

Kinda hard to tell based on those photos alone. But I can tell you that you're going to have half those figurines lying on the floor after some playtime!

If you don't wall mount them I would just place them on two opposing shelves facing your playspace.

How is the room scaling for Oculus compared to Vive? I think for me that's my bigger selling point, because that will be the definitive virtual experience.

It's near as good as long as you have your sensors setup properly with 3 sensors. I don't have any occlusion or stutter with mine.

robotrock

Banned

I had to update my USB drivers

jrcbandit

Are the sensors not recognized in device manager? You need to install the Oculus App first. If they still don't show up in device manager, try using the Intel USB 3.0 ports or USB 2.0 ports. Your 3.0 ports might be incompatible if they arent Intel. If your USB ports are from Asmedia, an updated driver can fix this issue, but if your motherboard is really old it might not be getting Asmedia driver updates.

If you are stuck during setup, when it scans to see if sensors pass the test, make sure your oculus headset is out and powered on / seen by the sensors. It doesn't tell you that, but I kept failing with my 3rd sensor because the headset was in the box at the time.

sfried

I just got a OR + Touch (should be here by sunday) and I really would like to play things like Echo and Super Hot, but my playspace is kinda weird.

All dem Nendos...

Ahem...You might need to move your bed, quite frankly. Playing Robo Recall, and you'll find yourself twisting/contorting to dodge, and I'd imagine Superhot VR being moreso.

Echo Arena you might have a shot at while being seated, though do mind you'll be frequently reaching out to grab your "holds" in the game, so do watch out for your shelf!

All dem Nendos...

theRizzle

Just trying to eyeball it, I have quite a bit more playspace than you (about a foot on either side) and Oculus setup said my area was "moderate". I ended up punching the wall a couple times playing Robo Recall, so you might have an issue unless you are very, very short.

Can you stand in the middle of that area and spread both arms all the way out without hitting your cabinet? If not, you are gonna have a problem more likely than not.

Pavaloo

Well, I set audio to mirror on speakers and the headset and it turns out the headphones aren't what's cutting out.

Audio in general just stops after a few minutes of play. Super lame. Don't know what it is? Maybe it's my USB3.0s? My MB is from 2011(GIGABYTE Z77X-UD5H), but I tried only running the headset and one sensor on USB3, while the spare sensor went to 2 and the tracking was great, but the audio was still dropping.

Happens inside of Steam VR too. Lots of big reveals lost :(

edit: managed to get audio to go strictly through comp speakers and got to play some superhot VR. holy FUCK. so much fun it's ridiculous. I got way too into it and smashed my hands twice into my desk lol
immediately went on amazon and bought a bunch of extensions for the hdmi and usb's, plus that recommended usb 3 slot for my PC. hopefully after installing all that it's a smooth experience

then on Friday third sensor to even things out...

oh god I see myself falling down the rabbit hole of additional sensors and wall mounts @ . @

ElfArmy177

Man I love this thing but what a pain in the cock to set up. I've destroyed my walls mounting this stupid shit just to have to remount it after I do the "guardian system's bullshit.. lol

Iorv3th

Just got mine today. Wow I am impressed. I wasn't really sure what to expect but I thought the graphics would be worse for some reason.

Really impressed with just the oculus touch setup tutorial in the trailer. Then robo recall is really great too.

Can't believe how well the tracking works for the headset and especially the touch controls in the vr space.

Did have a little motion sickness but just stopped for a while and when I went back it wasn't so bad and played longer next time.

I think VR is going to be huge in the future.

Ferrio

Banned

Vive is less hassle for sure. Only two lighthouses needed and they only need power, no usb connections to worry about.

NimbusD

front left, back right corner, about 8 feet high. make your bounding box smaller than you think you need to unless you feel like punching your figures a lot (probably will happen anyway sorry lol).

Kinda hard to tell based on those photos alone. But I can tell you that you're going to have half those figurines lying on the floor after some playtime!

If you don't wall mount them I would just place them on two opposing shelves facing your playspace.

Then one on the right side of the table and the other one on the shelf?

All dem Nendos...

Ahem...You might need to move your bed, quite frankly. Playing Robo Recall, and you'll find yourself twisting/contorting to dodge, and I'd imagine Superhot VR being moreso.

Echo Arena you might have a shot at while being seated, though do mind you'll be frequently reaching out to grab your "holds" in the game, so do watch out for your shelf!

All dem Nendos...

I can't move the bed for the time being :(

Probably those nendos will suffer the VR madness

Just trying to eyeball it, I have quite a bit more playspace than you (about a foot on either side) and Oculus setup said my area was "moderate". I ended up punching the wall a couple times playing Robo Recall, so you might have an issue unless you are very, very short.

Can you stand in the middle of that area and spread both arms all the way out without hitting your cabinet? If not, you are gonna have a problem more likely than not.

5'6/167cm is very short? :p

Just spread my arms and is ok if I stand VERY close to the bed.

front left, back right corner, about 8 feet high. make your bounding box smaller than you think you need to unless you feel like punching your figures a lot (probably will happen anyway sorry lol).

Gonna try!

Hexer06

Well my Rift Headset has finally changed to "Shipping Today." That means it should be here by Friday. Which sux cuz that's my sister's B-day so I'm gonna have to wait even longer to play it, even when it's in my possession... Ah well, such is life. I have so many games already downloaded and ready to go. I'm gonna have so much fun with this, I already know it. :D

Really impressed with the few days I got with my Oculus Rift. The free games with the Rift alone are worth it imo.

The only downsides I could find are the resolution, even in Oculus home I had trouble reading the small titles from my games library and the god rays when you have text on a dark background. At first I thought there was something wrong with my Rift.

Musician

Really impressed with the few days I got with my Oculus Rift. The free games with the Rift alone are worth it imo.

The only downsides I could find are the resolution, even in Oculus home I had trouble reading the small titles from my games library and the god rays when you have text on a dark background. At first I thought there was something wrong with my Rift.

Have you tried supersampling? It does wonders for text readability. I'm going 1.5 render scale across the board with my 980ti and haven't had any problems in any games. Probably thanks to ASW though. I honestly can't tell when it's on or not.

God rays will be there, but their effect can be lessened of your manage to get a good fit by doing the following

"A properly adjusted headset should be fairly comfortable and not cause any marks on your face. The rear triangle should be VERY LOW, positioned just above your neck (the occipital region). This allows the top strap to take most of the weight of the Rift. The side straps should only provide just enough pressure such that the rear triangle doesn't slide upwards."

Hope that helps!

gypsie

So I bought one of these a few days ago as £400 was too good to pass up (Hasn't arrived yet!!! Touch controllers did yesterday but HMD still a few days out :/) but I only have a 970. Most places say this will be 'fine' but is there anyone here who has the same? If so how does it perform?

Should I just bite the bullet and upgrade? I kinda wanted to wait another year or so before going up to a 1080 or whatever it will be then.

Have you tried supersampling? It does wonders for text readability. I'm going 1.5 render scale across the board with my 980ti and haven't had any problems in any games. Probably thanks to ASW though. I honestly can't tell when it's on or not.

God rays will be there, but their effect can be lessened of your manage to get a good fit by doing the following

"A properly adjusted headset should be fairly comfortable and not cause any marks on your face. The rear triangle should be VERY LOW, positioned just above your neck (the occipital region). This allows the top strap to take most of the weight of the Rift. The side straps should only provide just enough pressure such that the rear triangle doesn't slide upwards."

Hope that helps!

I can't find a way to fit in my head using that method, it always seems like the headset is gonna fall (kind of).

Schlocky

So I bought one of these a few days ago as £400 was too good to pass up (Hasn't arrived yet!!! Touch controllers did yesterday but HMD still a few days out :/) but I only have a 970. Most places say this will be 'fine' but is there anyone here who has the same? If so how does it perform?

Should I just bite the bullet and upgrade? I kinda wanted to wait another year or so before going up to a 1080 or whatever it will be then.

I have a 970 and nothing I have played has been anything less than silky smooth at max settings.

gypsie

I have a 970 and nothing I have played has been anything less than silky smooth at max settings.

Music to my ears! Thanks very much.

Now if only amazon would dispatch the HMD that would be great...... I might go mad just staring at the touch controllers.

MazeHaze

Banned
Then one on the right side of the table and the other one on the shelf?

I can't move the bed for the time being :(

Probably those nendos will suffer the VR madness

5'6/167cm is very short? :p

Just spread my arms and is ok if I stand VERY close to the bed.

Gonna try!
I dunno man, I have a 5 by 6 play area and it's almost too small for super hot. Getting extension cables so I can play in the dining room.

Musician

I can't find a way to fit in my head using that method, it always seems like the headset is gonna fall (kind of).

Have you tried tightening the side straps slightly? Then again, different people have different heads, of course! Just experiment and see what works best for you.

I would say that the most gain is from supersampling, however. I use Oculus tray tool which I've set up to run automatically when the computer starts.

Another tip for you guys! Use Guardian boundary editor to straighten your guardian walls. It looks so much better. It also makes it easier to do some markings in the boundaries to, for example, show which way is forward or, as in my case, show where that low hanging ceiling light is so I don't try to do some crazy stuff right under it.

Watch it in action here.

To export these boundary settings to StreamVR, use Guardian2Chaperone.

Lastly, there's Desk scene; a program which lets you see your camera's FOV, where they intersect etc. Haven't had much use for this myself as my setup works great, but if you're having problems with tracking I'd give this one a try.

Anyone else know of any useful/essential tools?

Has anyone who got the Oculus + $100 Amazon deal had their headset ship/arrive yet? I got it on the second batch and it estimates arrival the 19th-21st but it hasn't even shipped.

Also, I have a 970 and was thinking of getting a 1070 and prices are through the roof atm w the newest cryptocurrency boom. I'm going to wait. Only thing I can't do is super sample much.

Has anyone who got the Oculus + $100 Amazon deal had their headset ship/arrive yet? I got it on the second batch and it estimates arrival the 19th-21st but it hasn't even shipped.

I contacted Amazon yesterday and they "upgraded" me to 1-day shipping, but now it updated the arrival date from July 19-21 to 25-27 for the headset, and the touch controls now just say unavailable.

I think they screwed me out of getting one in the next batch.

Mine arrives tomorrow. I got mine in the initial deal shortly after it went up. I got the shipping notification last night and it'll be here by Friday afternoon.

Lord Phol

Slightly frustrated at myself. Been eyeing this bundle since the sale was announced but I didn't bite until late last Saturday. Now I'm probably going to have to wait 1-2 weeks for it to ship, while my colleague who ordered his on the 11th got it two days ago x.x.

I've been reading up a lot on the device though, and from what I've been able to gather most of the problems I had with the PSVR (which was still a cool device) should be improved or gone with the oculus.

vermadas

Man I get so sick and go into cold sweats when I turn on locomotion for games.. how do you guys get past the nausea

VR legs are real, though some people never get past it. Stick with teleport only experiences. Avoid using smooth turning like the plague. Slowly work yourself to more "intense" experiences. If you start feeling ill, do not try to push through it. That will only make you feel worse and you will start to have a negative association with VR in general. And like gdt says, ginger candy is a good idea.

Izuna

Banned
What game makes people feel sick? I've been looking for something for a while and so far nothing has.

The Climb for example, the feeling of falling was lost on me.

No horror shit because fuuuuuuuck that

Man I get so sick and go into cold sweats when I turn on locomotion for games.. how do you guys get past the nausea

The first game I played was ADR1FT with the xbox controller, I almost threw up. It took me about a month of short session to really build some VR legs. I can now play for longer session of 1-2 hours max, after that my eyes kinda burn and I need to take a long break.

Blam

Just got mine today. Wow I am impressed. I wasn't really sure what to expect but I thought the graphics would be worse for some reason.

Really impressed with just the oculus touch setup tutorial in the trailer. Then robo recall is really great too.

Can't believe how well the tracking works for the headset and especially the touch controls in the vr space.

Did have a little motion sickness but just stopped for a while and when I went back it wasn't so bad and played longer next time.

I think VR is going to be huge in the future.

Best part about the VR Setup is that First Contact is it's own game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom