• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift pre-orders to open on January 6 8am pacific time

Status
Not open for further replies.
VR.5-DVD.jpg

Maybe I will go back and watch this for nostalgia.

Plum

Yeah, not to mention then you have to put up with silly conversion rates. $500 totally equals £500. :|

Damn that is probably going to be the case. I really hope us Brits don't get shafted in terms of price like so many damn products right now.

onken

Mmm I'm going with $550. Still on the fence about pre-ordering. If it's the Oculus I know then they will promise Q1 and deliver maybe late April/early May, which will give me plenty of time to debate whether I keep the pre-order or jump over to something else.

JoshHood

I'm not convinced they will even announce the price yet. You're not putting money down, just registering a place in a queue that you can always pull out of, sounds like they might not have (or want to share) the number yet.

hoserx

I'm not convinced they will even announce the price yet. You're not putting money down, just registering a place in a queue that you can always pull out of, sounds like they might not have (or want to share) the number yet.

I think you're right I'd be shocked if we see a price today, but I hope we do.

If they are asking people to put their credit card information in they should have a price. It it's just a put yourself on a waiting list sort of deal it wouldn't be a preorder IMO.

low-G

If no price today, it'll be $49,999.99

onken

I'll eat my crow if I'm wrong but not a chance. They said they wouldn't charge cards until shipping, that implies you register your card at pre-order time and who the hell is going to do that without knowing the price?

Jimrpg

But Palmer said they wouldn't charge your credit card before it ships. While what you're saying is true, the way Palmer put it, it seems like we would know the price before we put in an order.

ie would be strange if they took our credit card details if there was no price.

EDIT: beaten!

But Palmer said they wouldn't charge your credit card before it ships. While what you're saying is true, the way Palmer put it, it seems like we would know the price before we put in an order.

ie would be strange if they took our credit card details if there was no price.

EDIT: beaten!

Maybe we can send them a blank check.

0_o thats just silly, if people have to put their credit x debit info to buy one i would sure hope they show a price

they could charge any number then

$$$$$ D:

Opening preorders without a price would be absurd. I can't imagine they would do that. Price will be announced the moment you can preorder.

If they aren't shipping this month, I'm not buying an Oculus until after the VIVE comes out and we can see some comparisons.

Cleve

I'm pretty sure it'll be around $599. Can't imagine much lower.

I think $599 will be what you should expect for a rift and touch. I guess we'll see soon.

I hope there's a sku without a xbone controller, I really don't need any more.

Bundled games cost close to nothing, so I'm guessing around DK2 price + bundled Xbox One wireless controller.

Games are often bundled to make a more expensive system seem better value. You're right that the cost of adding them to the bundle is low, but the fact is, things aren't priced so much on manufacturing costs as they are priced based on the perceived value to the customer.

If customers don't see great value at say $500 without bundled games, they will see better value at $500 with bundled games.

Plum

Bundled games cost close to nothing, so I'm guessing around DK2 price + bundled Xbox One wireless controller.

The X1 controller won't cost the regular $50 or so it goes for retail due to Oculus' partner with Microsoft. It'll add $30 to the price at most.

Kud Dukan

I think $599 will be what you should expect for a rift and touch. I guess we'll see soon.

I would hope so. If they are selling the Rift itself for $599, and then wanting everyone to purchase a Touch on top of that, I think they are going to have problems.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
The X1 controller won't cost the regular $50 or so it goes for retail due to Oculus' partner with Microsoft. It'll add $30 to the price at most.

I love how people can say this with such conviction. "No way it'll add more than $30." How on earth would YOU know? :p I'd imagine MS would give it to them for free or, at worst, some subsidized price of cost. MS has to bring SOMETHING to the partnership besides its good looks.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I would hope so. If they are selling the Rift itself for $599, and then wanting everyone to purchase a Touch on top of that, I think they are going to have problems.

There won't be problems. The early adopters have their wallets ready.

Except, this thing is WAY more deluxe than the DK2. I'm not talking about the screen tech (though two screens are more expensive than one screen), but the physical device - moving parts with a gear system, built-in headphones with custom DAC and amplifier, fabric lining, IR lights in the back strap for 360-degree detection, all custom-made parts including custom-designed fabric... the base unit should cost quite a bit more to build than DK2.

Except, this thing is WAY more deluxe than the DK2. I'm not talking about the screen tech (though two screens are more expensive than one screen), but the physical device - moving parts with a gear system, built-in headphones with amplifier, fabric lining, IR lights in the back strap for 360-degree detection, all custom-made parts including custom-designed fabric... the base unit should cost quite a bit more to build than DK2.

two custom displays rather than one off the shelf display is going to be the biggest increase in manufacturing I would guess.

labx

Banned
So if SONY is "wise" they are going to take this price, and drop it what? 50 dollars? whatever the price is. The problem is: the VR is going to cost the same as the whole console. That is messed up. For what? 4-5 games at the moment. My concern is that developers are going to be forced to make all games VR experience to boost the sells of this thing.... Like 3D and everybody knows how that ends.

KHarvey16

I love how people can say this with such conviction. "No way it'll add more than $30." How on earth would YOU know? :p I'd imagine MS would give it to them for free or, at worst, some subsidized price of cost. MS has to bring SOMETHING to the partnership besides its good looks.

Palmer tweeted that it costs them very little and that selling it if you didn't want it would net you a profit.

Kuga

There won't be problems. The early adopters have their wallets ready.

Exactly. They really aren't aiming for mass-market. The hardware is expensive to make (for now) and enthusiasts will pay premium prices. Why sell for less and lose money?

Plum

Well it's still got to be manufactured and it's not like Microsoft is getting anything else directly out of it (no W10 or X1 exclusivity, no Xbox games outside of that weird cinema thing, etc). I'm not clued in on business deals but I was basically agreeing that the controller won't add much to the price at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom