• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official April 2008 NPD thread of massive disappointment if you're not Nintendo

Redd

HK-47 said:
You want GTA IV when what you should want is GTA Wii. I'll take the quality games on the correct platform if I cant get them and not bitch every time one goes to a system I dont have. I've seen a ton of Wii owners acting as if they are the kings of the world. No, Nintendo is and they've made a lot of stupid choices as well. What I'm really tired of is everyone going at each others throats I guess.

Agreed like how so many Wii only users want Resident Evil 5 on the Wii. Personally I would prefer a Resident Evil 2 remake or a original side story like Code Veronica with the Resident Evil 4 engine. Why take downgraded ports when you deserve better. That's what third parties should be working on, but they mostly don't...........makes no sense.

Redd said:
Agreed like how so many Wii only users want Resident Evil 5 on the Wii. Personally I would prefer a Resident Evil 2 remake or a original side story like Code Veronica with the Resident Evil 4 engine. Why take downgraded ports when you deserve better. That's what third parties should be working on, but they mostly don't...........makes no sense.

so better is ports of ps2 games? If they arent gonna make anything new they shoudlnt bother at all.

Redd

DemonSwordsman said:
so better is ports of ps2 games? If they arent gonna make anything new they shoudlnt bother at all.

You can't be serious. Have you even played Resident Evil Remake? I mean like that, it's like a brand new game with new storylines and new paths.

Jammy

Banned
DemonSwordsman said:

Where is he saying he wants ports of PS2 games?

A RE2 remake was suggested, as was a side-story ala RE: Code Veronica. Both of these would be welcome. With RE2 you're taking one of the best games in the franchise and remaking it to fit the Wii's controls and graphics and with the other you're potentially getting a whole new cast of characters and something different to maybe tie up some ends.

Either way, both RE games on the Wii have each sold over a million worldwide. Capcom can't ignore not only the huge userbase of the system, but also the millions of RE fans that have the system that would pick up new games.

Christopher

Jammy said:

A RE2 remake was suggested, as was a side-story ala RE: Code Veronica. Both of these would be welcome. With RE2 you're taking one of the best games in the franchise and remaking it to fit the Wii's controls and graphics and with the other you're potentially getting a whole new cast of characters and something different to maybe tie up some ends.

Either way, both RE games on the Wii have each sold over a million worldwide. Capcom can't ignore not only the huge userbase of the system, but also the millions of RE fans that have the system that would pick up new games.

I thought the same thing as well....where the fuck did he come up with that from?

ZeoVGM

Banned
HK-47 said:
Please dont mention Mario Kart. Mention Prime or Brawl but not Kart, they got the track design and online right (holy shit) but they made single player, battle mode and items worse. Also they did a poor job on the graphics for such a big franchise.

I don't think so.

Battle mode is awesome in Mario Kart Wii. It's MUCH fucking better than Double Dash. By a large margin.

Also, single player is great too. Not sure how they made that "worse". It has 16 classic stages, Double Dash!! didn't.

And as for the items, there's nothing wrong with any of the items in MK Wii that wasn't wrong in DD!! or 64.

donny2112

Redd said:
Why take downgraded ports when you deserve better.

If the market leader "deserves better," then it deserves both. This is not an "either/or" but an "and" situation. Again, RE4 on the PS2. Why, again? Oh, yeah, because it was the market leader, and it would be stupid to ignore that large of a userbase. ;)

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
omg rite said:
And as for the items, there's nothing wrong with any of the items in MK Wii that wasn't wrong in DD!! or 64.
I figured out why there's so much more complaining about the items this time.

It's because there are more racers on the track, so there are always MORE items flying around at any given time.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Jammy said:

I think Zero will have a big backlash against it...I really hope it does. They arent adding anything. I can play that game on Wii already! That is the worst type of porting

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
donny2112 said:
If the market leader "deserves better," then it deserves both. This is not an "either/or" but an "and" situation. Again, RE4 on the PS2. Why, again? Oh, yeah, because it was the market leader, and it would be stupid to ignore that large of a userbase. ;)

There was a lot less lost in translation than would if you took some of these new HD games. The tech gap is much larger. We dont have an example yet but I'm willing to bet it wont go as well

Jiggy

WrikaWrek said:
I was proven right.

Everyone with only a Wii from the main consoles(this gen, stupid term i know, encompasses 360/Ps3/Wii) also plays on other platforms, be it PC, portables, or last gen gaming systems.

And when i made that statement i made it with the opinion that the Wii doesn't have enough sand in it's truck to satisfy the "hardcore" gamer, the gamer you see at GAF.

I'm sure that with time it will, but i have a Wii, and i don't see me having my gaming needs fulfilled if i only owned a Wii as a gaming platform.

But people went ahead and called me dumb while at the same time proving my point :p
If I had to guess, the reason that nearly everybody* interpreted your post as "I think there's nobody on GAF who only owns a Wii among the current-gen home consoles" instead of "I think there's nobody on GAF who's only ever played Wii games in the history of their lives" is that the latter claim, which you're saying is what you really meant, is obvious to a point where it's not worth stating. It's akin to coming in and making the bold declaration that surely there's nobody on GAF who has only ever played one video game.

*Andrex, bmf, dead souls, SuomiDude, Jammy, Slurpy, Sadist, Masklinn, MysticX, fresquito, Nocebo, Neomoto, Innotech, Mike Works...

Enough with the PSP/PS2 ports, nobody wants them, really. Come up with something new and original and also no more fucking side games of RE, Capcom is capable of more than that crap.

pgtl_10

Htown said:
I figured out why there's so much more complaining about the items this time.

It's because there are more racers on the track, so there are always MORE items flying around at any given time.

I think the items are more devastating. Nearly every item that hits you makes lose your item which keeps you from holding a red shell to hit someone once the driver passes you.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
pgtl_10 said:
I think the itms are more devastating. Nearly every item that hits you makes lose your item which keeps you from holding a red shell to hit someone once the driver passes you.

Those are annoying. Lightning and POW are the worst items IMO. POW is just plain useless for anything, and Lightning in MKWii zaps even the people behind the person who used it. What in the world is the point of that?

Mega Shrooms and Shrinky Cloud are OK though.

donny2112

HK-47 said:
I think Zero will have a big backlash against it...I really hope it does. They arent adding anything. I can play that game on Wii already! That is the worst type of porting

You won't see it, either, unless you live in Japan. I think it's just a way to keep the RE fanbase in Japan chewing on something while they get something bigger ready for the Wii. If you recall, RE4 in Japan did much less than RE4 in the U.S. as far as sales. Therefore, the Japanese Wii RE userbase probably needs more prodding to keep their interest up.

HK-47 said:
There was a lot less lose in translation than would if you took some of these new HD games. The tech gap is much larger. We dont have an example yet but I'm willing to bet it wont go as well

And how many of the PS360 multi-platform games go out of their way to really utilize each system's power? I'm not talking about porting Gears of War here. The idea is that if you're already doing a PS3/360 game, add a Wii SKU even if it's farmed out to a sub-developer.

Redd

donny2112 said:

I'd much rather have something the other 2 consoles don't have. This would be a great time for say Capcom to bring out the Dino Crisis series again. Or what about the Mega Man Legends series(I'm a broken record). I can understand your frustration though but if you wanted those other games you need to look elsewhere.

I have to agree...I'd rather have more exclusives catered to the wii's strengths rather than downgraded ports. I'd love to see a well done 3D megaman using the wiimote.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
donny2112 said:
You won't see it, either, unless you live in Japan. I think it's just a way to keep the RE fanbase in Japan chewing on something while they get something bigger ready for the Wii. If you recall, RE4 in Japan did much less than RE4 in the U.S. as far as sales. Therefore, the Japanese Wii RE userbase probably needs more prodding to keep their interest up.

Didn't Umbrella Chronicles sell anti-bomba there though? Might've just been because of the Zapper bundle, but still.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Redd said:
I'd much rather have something the other 2 consoles don't have. This would be a great time for say Capcom to bring out the Dino Crisis series again. Or what about the Mega Man Legends series(I'm a broken record). I can understand your frustration though but if you wanted those other games you need to look elsewhere.

Inafune wants to make Legends 3 but they wont give him the budget. Its funny the parallels between Inafune and Iga. Both consistently rehash a classic 2D franchise with reused assets on handhelds cause they cant get big budgets (CV and MM), they wanna make a big 3D game but lack the funds, and both keep avoiding the game everyone wants to play cause of story connotations (CV 99 and MM 9)

I think Japan is sick of REs, DMCs and the occasional circle jerk FFs, its time for something new across all platforms and not only the wii

SLYspyda

Banned
Someone said earlier that Metroid Prime 3 had surpassed the sales of MP1 and MP2, is this true? If so, can I get some numbers? Thanks

Redd

norinrad21 said:
I think Japan is sick of REs, DMCs and the occasional circle jerk FFs, its time for something new across all platforms and not only the wii

Well then no offense to all Japanese gaffers but fuck that. I'm looking forward to the next Resident Evil, I patiently wait for the day when a remake of Resident Evil 2 will be announced. I'm still waiting for my Resident Evil psp game. One of the main reasons I bought a PS3 is to play the next Final Fantasy game. And what's going on with Final Fantasy Crystal Bearers? It be nice to see more scans or something.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
SLYspyda said:
Someone said earlier that Metroid Prime 3 had surpassed the sales of MP1 and MP2, is this true? If so, can I get some numbers? Thanks

No it will soon if it hasnt already pass the sales of MP2 which I recall was around 1.5 million. MP though is the best selling Metroid game at 2.8 so I dont think 3 will get there

donny2112

Redd said:
if you wanted those other games you need to look elsewhere.

For most of "those other games," I don't. This is not about my own personal preference. This is about what makes the most financial sense for publishers this generation. What GTA IV showed this month is that as far as hardware goes "this is all there is, there is nothing more" for the HD consoles. There isn't another known game of GTA IV's caliber that is going to push these consoles to substantially higher userbases (like in that crazy chart that gets posted sometimes). Price drops for the non-leader lead to temporary bumps before settling back to "normal." This has been shown time and time again this generation and last.

As such, the Wii is the real source of growth this generation for home consoles, and as such, third-parties should be throwing everything including the kitchen sink at it. I'm not saying sink $10 million into development of a port of a $15-20 million game, but how about $1 million? If you care about your bottom line this generation, then you should be trying to feed the userbase of the Wii with whatever you can. If you do a dual development Wii game, you can even share advertising budget.

And, oh by the way, while you're doing a low-budget port to the Wii, you're also learning more about Wii development which will make it that much easier to do an original game tailored to the system down the road.

Andrex said:
Didn't Umbrella Chronicles sell anti-bomba there though? Might've just been because of the Zapper bundle, but still.

It sold 250K, but it still sold more in the U.S.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Redd said:
And what's going on with Final Fantasy Crystal Bearers? It be nice to see more scans or something.

Indeed it would. :(

E3 - Believe? :_(

Both Ring of Fates and My Life as a King are out, so I think that they're going to focus on TCB now since those games were said to be their previous focus. (Watch them announce another CC game for WiiWare or something. :lol Not that I'd be complaining but I want TCB RIGHT NAO.)

Linkup

Redd said:
Well then no offense to all Japanese gaffers but fuck that. I'm looking forward to the next Resident Evil, I patiently wait for the day when a remake of Resident Evil 2 will be announced. I'm still waiting for my Resident Evil psp game. One of the main reasons I bought a PS3 is to play the next Final Fantasy game. And what's going on with Final Fantasy Crystal Bearers? It be nice to see more scans or something.

I can agree with that, but I don't care for a RE2 remake that much though I would play it. I thought that FFCB trailer was awesome and showed tons of promise. Hope we can see some more of that soon.

I don't really believe the notion that nintendo doesn't have anything left. We've already seen that Nintendo is secretive with their titles and because of their new marketing strategy (like the one that failed MP3, though I guess it did pretty well in the end) they are even more secretive(Endless Ocean's one month from full unveiling release). Also like in the GC days, if nintendo didn't have anything they just spread their titles thin, but in reality now they've stick quite a few together so I would guess they have plenty more. Iwata did say that they had shifted development to wii games and I would hope they did it without causing a fat gap.

Christine

HK-47 said:
Please dont mention Mario Kart. Mention Prime or Brawl but not Kart, they got the track design and online right (holy shit) but they made single player, battle mode and items worse. Also they did a poor job on the graphics for such a big franchise.

I've played more Kart than Brawl. I like it better - and it provides more instant gratification than Prime. The graphics are more than good enough for me to play and have fun.

Pachael

norinrad21 said:

Japan's too busy getting fit with Wii Fit that they don't have the time to play anything else.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Mike Works said:
Animal Crossing, Pikmin, Wave Race, Star Fox, Kirby, Donkey Kong, F-Zero

then there are new DS IP's like Nintendogs, [blank] Training, etc that they can take advantage of

and then there are the brand new IP's (???) or resurrected oldschool ones (Kid Icarus) which we have yet to hear about

And don't forget about Zelda, because TP is a GC game and CT is not a proper Zelda game... though I don't like the direction the series took after OOT, I wish the series get resurrected like Mario was in Mario Galaxy (same team making Zelda Wii? why not?)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
heliosRAzi said:
They had better keep making TCB. That's Skies of Arcadia 2

Oh I don't doubt they're making it
much
, the info they string along convinces me of that. I think it was last March the US FFCC blog posted a shot of someone testing the game. Although that pic was from the Japanese blog from December, it at least means US S-E isn't censoring it to protect something.

What's alarmed me though is that the Japanese FFCC blog took down the TCB trailer it posted, while it still hosts even older videos still. =/

HK-47 said:

They did the same thing with Resident Evil 2, 3, and Cove Veronica on the Gamecube so I'm not sure why anyone is surprised.

Rocksteady33

WickedAngel said:
They did the same thing with Resident Evil 2, 3, and Cove Veronica on the Gamecube so I'm not sure why anyone is surprised.

Yeah but Capcom's justification of that was so that the whole RE series could be found on the GameCube, which made sense considering RE4 at the time was supposed to be exclusive. RE: Zero on Wii with little to no added extras makes little to no sense.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
WickedAngel said:

Yes and those games were huge flops...didnt help that they were shitty, nowhere near the quality of Remake or Zero

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
I haven't played my Wii since No More Heroes (and RE4 before that).

I bought a Wii and it hasn't been all that interesting/fun.

Nintendo is making a bunch of money. Heck, all game companies are making a bunch of money. Why do you care so much who makes the most money?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
chespace said:

Nintendo is making a bunch of money. Heck, all game companies are making a bunch of money. Why do you care so much who makes the most money?

Why are you even in the thread if you don't care? :lol

I'm glad to see that my innocent little remark about GTA III ports caused a multipage discussion. I only wanted to see how well said ports would sell. I mean besides RE 4 Wii none of the other ports have been real top sellers.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Man God said:
Why are you even in the thread if you don't care? :lol

I'm glad to see that my innocent little remark about GTA III ports caused a multipage discussion. I only wanted to see how well said ports would sell. I mean besides RE 4 Wii none of the other ports have been real top sellers.

TC SO is the best selling Atlus game and its a port of the DS game...

Deku

Banned
chespace said:

Same difference. I don't 'GET' the Xbox360 and I think the business model Microsoft is imposing on the industry --which Sony is aping (sadly) -- is unsustainable.

On the issue of intra forum bickering:
It's interesting that this charge of 'why do you care so much about abc corp. making money' is always used as a weapon of mass generalization when it comes to sales talk, gloating, bitter tears, in a thread that's about sales. Well I suppose we can discuss red herrings and engage in list wars instead.

It will die down soon enough, there's no need to float the strawman about who really cares more about games. The flipside is bickering over which floor texture is better or spending half of a review talking about bump mapping.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
HK-47 said:
TC SO is the best selling Atlus game and its a port of the DS game...

I think a franchise with over 30 million sold last gen would offer slightly more interesting sales figures than an excellent, albiet very niche title doing slightly better at launch. :lol

chespace said:

The same reason so many cared that Sony was making money last gen and the gen before that.

Some of us like numbers, others are scarily hivemindlike. As long as their queen (Ninty, Sony, MS) is the victor the colony prevails!

Scrubking

Andrex said:
Oh I don't doubt they're making it
much
, the info they string along convinces me of that. I think it was last March the US FFCC blog posted a shot of someone testing the game. Although that pic was from the Japanese blog from December, it at least means US S-E isn't censoring it to protect something.

What's alarmed me though is that the Japanese FFCC blog took down the TCB trailer it posted, while it still hosts even older videos still. =/

Did anyone find out why the game dropped off the face of the earth? Did they decide to remake it with Crystal Tools?

Neo C.

norinrad21 said:
Enough with the PSP/PS2 ports, nobody wants them, really. Come up with something new and original and also no more fucking side games of RE, Capcom is capable of more than that crap.
donny2112 said:
This is not an "either/or" but an "and" situation.
What donny said.

I'm all for new games, but there are still lots of last gen games which could be interesting if they were ported correctly (useful controller changes, 16:9 support etc.).

As for the gaming industry as a whole, I really hope the companies step up and put more efforts in their Wii games. It's not healthy for the industry if Nintendo is driven in a situation where they are forced to buy other companies because of the lack of support.
I'm optimistic that Nintendo doesn't need to do this though.

Mrbob

Deku said:
Same difference. I don't 'GET' the Xbox360 and I think the business model Microsoft is imposing on the industry --which Sony is aping (sadly) -- is unsustainable.

\

While the Wii is dominating hardware sales, this comment is a bit out of line when regarding the 360.

The system has the highest tie ratio in history relative to its lifespan. How are this busines model unsustainable? At least in the USA, Xbox 360 is making 3rd parties a ton more money than the Wii is.

Anyway, everything needs to be looked at by a game by game basis. Just like at something like Rainbow Six Vegas 2. The ease of use online for Xbox 360 coupled with the ability to chat makes the 360 version the one of choice. The game is nearing a million units sold now. If we are talking about sustainability, there is no way RBSV2 would sell as well on the Wii with its friends codes and lack of voice chat at all. This is what people expect when they pick up the game. Can't find it on the Wii.

Now, this doesn't mean the Wii is a slouch at software sales. Tons of games are selling great on the Wii. But they are not the same type of games which are selling strongly on the 360 and to a lesser extent, the PS3.

It's not sustainable because the tech race will lead to ballooning software dev costs, with no significant increase in people buying them, which either leads to massive revenue dropoffs, or increased game prices, which would turn off more people anyway.

And for all the 360's much vaunted software sales realize that these sales belong to a relatively small circle of 'big' games and devs.

Mrbob

The small circle which buys a ton of games and is non existant on the Wii.

Anyway, MS has done a great job with tools for developers handling next gen content. Ease of use for development is something they constantly get lauded for. Everything evolves over time. You can't stop progress.

The hardware success of the Wii are blinding some people to the reality to what is actually selling on the Wii versus what is selling on the 360.

Throw Bioshock on the Wii. Throw Gears. Massive sales!

No, that is not how it works. The games would still sell OK on the Wii but not to the same extent as the 360. Because Nintendo hasn't cultivated the same audience MS has with the 360.

Zerachiel

MrNyarlathotep said:
You don't even seem to know what you're arguing here.

Lighting, animation, charatcer detail, ragdoll physics are aesthetic changes, not gameplay changes.

The new style of lockons, the cover system and the new police 'sphere of influence' are gameplay changes, and they absolutely do not require the technical horsepower of HD consoles to have occurred.

In absolute gameplay terms, I haven't seen anything in GTA4 that not only would be impossible on a Wii, but wasn't already done in previous GTAs.

That's not saying it's a bad game - I'm still enjoying it - but you're deluding yourself if you really think that in terms of gameplay it does anything that wasn't possible in 'last gen'.

Which I guess is really where HD consoles are failing on sales terms - I can count on the fingers of one hand games which have core gameplay mechanics I do not think would have been possible on a last gen console.

As long as the only improvements over the games people were playing on a PS2 are purely aesthetic, the case arguing for HD consoles over a Wii by anyone except graphics whores becomes harder outside of the bitter tears about 'casuals killing games' displayed in this thread.

You're being excessively myopic here.

A game is an experience. You cannot reduce it to merely the input rendered by the player and the one rendered on-screen; you have to view the game holistically. The bottom line is that what makes a lot of games worthwhile is their immersion, and yes, their visual appeal. Could Bioshock's gameplay mechanics have been transferred to the Wii? Absolutely. Could its haunting atmosphere ad visceral violence that made the game worth playing? Some of it undoubtedly, but a lot of it came from technical improvements in the 360.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Pureauthor said:
It's not sustainable because the tech race will lead to ballooning software dev costs, with no significant increase in people buying them, which either leads to massive revenue dropoffs, or increased game prices, which would turn off more people anyway.

And for all the 360's much vaunted software sales realize that these sales belong to a relatively small circle of 'big' games and devs.
So you're saying console manufacturers no longer need to make improvements on their hardware because it will only increase the cost of development and turn people away? If that is the case, why bother releasing another console?

Top Bottom