• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official August 2007 NPD Prediction Thread

pswii60

andy_lhc said:
my guess

[Wii] 410,000
[DS] 390,000
[PS2] 200,000
[PSP] 170,000
[360] 210,000
[PS3] 120,000
[GBA] 70,000

It's Thursday today.

Jtyettis said:
So ready for this NPD.

You just want to see the 360 figures!

Personally, I'm looking forward to see if PS3 can hold on after the price drop, it'll be good news if it can, and I'm confident it will. It'll be interesting to see how much of a boost the crappy price drop gives the 360 - it certainly made a big difference here in the UK. Also wondering if Wii can do ANOTHER 400k+ month.

FrankT

pswii60 said:
It's Thursday today.

Personally, I'm looking forward to see if PS3 can hold on after the price drop, it'll be good news if it can, and I'm confident it will. It'll be interesting to see how much of a boost the crappy price drop gives the 360 - it certainly made a big difference here in the UK. Also wondering if Wii can do ANOTHER 400k+ month.

Not so much as the 360 figures as the Bioshock figures and overall Madden numbers. :D I do believe there is going to be a slip downward in the PS3 figures although give or take 15-30k off Pachter numbers.

andy_lhc

pswii60 said:
It's Thursday today.

Sorry about that. Didn't realise today is Thursday. Will submit my estimates earlier next month....:D

pr0cs

more interested in software numbers, bioshock, metroid and madden, plus a breakdown from madden vs platform would be lovely.

felipeko

It's all about Madden Wii vs Madden PS3 this month for me :D

But, damn it, i have class, gonna miss all the fun :(

Save me some meltdowns and crow eatings to the night, please.

Walshicus

pswii60 said:

If not I hope you're ready for egg and your face to be in alignment.

Sorry... I've been trying to work that line into a reply to one of your posts for a while now.

pswii60

Sir Fragula said:
If not I hope you're ready for egg and your face to be in alignment.

Sorry... I've been trying to work that line into a reply to one of your posts for a while now.

lol, Maurice rules.

Yeah, software numbers! Hopefully we'll get numbers aswell as chart positions today. Keen to see how each version of Madden performed, whether PS2 is still top dog when it comes to Madden, or if 360 is taking over.

Also, Metroid and Bioshock figures. Boogie and Blue Dragon figures if existant.

arhra

It'll be interesting to see how much of a boost the crappy price drop gives the 360 - it certainly made a big difference here in the UK.
I suspect it won't be nearly as dramatic - remember that the UK price drop coincided with the introduction of the Elite, which will have given it a nice spike in addition to the spike from the price drop (have ChartTrack given any numbers for subsequent weeks at all?), and ChartTrack's weekly numbers will show bigger spikes (percentage-wise) than NPD's monthly numbers.

Walshicus

arhra said:
I suspect it won't be nearly as dramatic - remember that the UK price drop coincided with the introduction of the Elite, which will have given it a nice spike in addition to the spike from the price drop (have ChartTrack given any numbers for subsequent weeks at all?), and ChartTrack's weekly numbers will show bigger spikes (percentage-wise) than NPD's monthly numbers.

I don't know, US demand has traditionally been more price elastic hasn't it?

BuzzJive

Opus Angelorum said:
If it does not, it will get mighty close.

I'd say you're definitely underestimating the PS2 Madden Base - but then again, the PS3 will be lucky to not be the worst selling console version (Gamecube FTW).

GhaleonEB

On the hardware front, the two questions I have are, how much did the price drop/Madden/Bioshock help the 360, and was the PS3 able to at least hold to last months level of sales, or will it drop off (or increase!)? Wii and DS will be somwhere between 'wow' and 'holy shit'.

On the software front, the sales mix of Madden and Bioshock are the ones I'm curious about, with Blue Dragon in there as well.

bdoughty

Banned
felipeko said:
It's all about Madden Wii vs Madden PS3 this month for me :D

But, damn it, i have class, gonna miss all the fun :(

Save me some meltdowns and crow eatings to the night, please.

I think you might just have some crow eating of your own when you get back, based on many of the estimates. PS3 sales of Madden >>> Wii

felipeko

bdoughty said:
I think you might just have some crow eating of your own when you get back, based on many of the estimates. PS3 sales of Madden >>> Wii
Oh no, on my own estimates i have PS3 a little higher... But our bet is to the end of the year... And that's what i'm basing on.. :D

bdoughty

Banned
felipeko said:
Oh no, on my own estimates i have PS3 a little higher... But our bet is to the end of the year... And that's what i'm basing on.. :D

Sure because wii owners like to wait until November or December to get their football games. While sales on the 360/PS3 completely drop to nothing.

You better hope the wii version gets dropped to $19.99 because there is no way that is happeneing. Oh and this is EA and they have no competition so there is no way the pricedrop is happening.

felipeko

bdoughty said:
Sure because wii owners like to wait until November or December to get their football games. While sales on the 360/PS3 completely drop to nothing.

You better hope the wii version gets dropped to $19.99 because there is no way that is happeneing. Oh and this is EA and they have no competition so there is no way the pricedrop is happening.
Nintendo will sell more Wii than PS3 to the end of the year. And i think that will be enough. But let's not start again. Numbers will talk for themselves.

bdoughty

Banned
felipeko said:
Nintendo will sell more Wii than PS3 to the end of the year. And i think that will be enough. But let's not start again. Numbers will talk for themselves.

Well if you keep bringing up these asinine theories, I do have to reply back.

Has the Wii not been kicking the PS3's ass since launch? Even with that the PS3 is looking to dominate the Wii in sales of Madden (at least double if not triple the sales). You honestly think a couple more months of console sales will cause a massive influx in Madden sales for the Wii? Based on months where the sales of Madden are expected to decrease each month?

Wow... Inside the mind of a Wii owner.

Threi

notag
bdoughty although in this case i think you are right, i really hope that you are...because if you are wrong about this...

My big storylines for the month:

1) Effect of 360 price drop
2) Bioshockkkkk
3) PS3 HW drops back down to what levels?
4) Madden (vs last year, vs 360, PS2, PS3, Wii)
5) Wii sales (based on supply)
6) DS - New color and bundle - sales ignited even more?
7) PSP HW in the tank due to drying up the inventory (many stores had none for weeks)
8) Metroid SW sales in just 3 days, continued Wii Play sales
9) PS2 HW - Every month I wait for a big drop. When will it happen.
10) DS - Brain Training
11) Warhawk - 4 days of retail sales
12) LAIR - 3 days of leaked sales

Frillen

Sonycowboy:

Are we going to get top 10 per platform this month as well? I don't take no for an answer.

Also is it possible that we could get more numbers this month consider that half of the top 10 will most likely be Maddens?

1) Effect of 360 price drop Should have a siginificant effect. Over 250k at least for the 360.
2) Bioshockkkkk Oh yeah, definitely over 400k and will boost 360 sales.
3) PS3 HW drops back down to what levels? It won't fall that much consider August is automatically a stronger month than July + Lair, Warhawk and Madden. It should at least do over 140k.
4) Madden (vs last year, vs 360, PS2, PS3, Wii) 360 version will sell A LOT, along with the PS2 version. The Wii and the PS3 versions will follow far behind but still sell quite a lot.
5) Wii sales (based on supply) Should be huge. Over 400k, maybe 450k.
6) DS - New color and bundle - sales ignited even more? Again well over 400k. Brain Age commercials should boost sales.
7) PSP HW in the tank due to drying up the inventory (many stores had none for weeks) Yep, I expect less than 150k.
8) Metroid SW sales in just 3 days, continued Wii Play sales I predict somewhere between 250k and 350k.
9) PS2 HW - Every month I wait for a big drop. When will it happen. Well it didn't happen :p.
10) DS - Brain Training Should at least sell over 100k, most likely over 200k.
11) Warhawk - 4 days of retail sales Around 100k.
12) LAIR - 3 days of leaked sales 50k.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Isn't it 5 days? August 28 - September 1.

I thought Nintendo did many of their SW releases on Thursday. I just checked and you're right. It did hit on Tuesday. We should see big numbers, IMO, well over 200k.

Also, do you know when the new DS bundle hit? I've seen it selling like crazy at stores and it's been very high on sales charts since before it's release.

Frillen

sonycowboy said:
I thought Nintendo did many of their SW releases on Thursday. I just checked and you're right. It did hit on Tuesday. We should see big numbers, IMO, well over 200k.

Also, do you know when the new DS bundle hit? I've seen it selling like crazy at stores and it's been very high on sales charts since before it's release.

I'm pretty sure the Brain Age 2 bundle was released 20 August.

felipeko

bdoughty said:
Well if you keep bringing up these asinine theories, I do have to reply back.

Has the Wii not been kicking the PS3's ass since launch? Even with that the PS3 is looking to dominate the Wii in sales of Madden (at least double if not triple the sales). You honestly think a couple more months of console sales will cause a massive influx in Madden sales for the Wii? Based on months where the sales of Madden are expected to decrease each month?

Wow... Inside the mind of a Wii owner.
No, i think the sales this month will be pretty close (because of the userbase only), and Wii will pass because 2 points:
1- there will be a lot more Wiis sold than PS3 to the end of the year;
2- Wii owners, for a good chunk, are not rabid buyers, so they don't buy everything on launch day, or month. And damn, some had Metroid to buy this month... it may affect a little, i dunno.

Anyway, going to class now, cya. I'll catch the numbers tonight, any result (that PS3 doesn't outsell a lot) should be fun.. :D

bdoughty

Banned
felipeko said:
No, i think the sales this month will be pretty close (because of the userbase only), and Wii will pass because 2 points:
1- there will be a lot more Wiis sold than PS3 to the end of the year;
2- Wii owners, for a good chunk, are not rabid buyers, so they don't buy everything on launch day, or month. And damn, some had Metroid to buy this month... it may affect a little, i dunno.

Once again, are there not alot more Wii's then PS3's RIGHT NOW?

#2 is just a pipe dream and could be said for any console base.

felipeko

bdoughty said:
Once again, are there not alot more Wii's then PS3's RIGHT NOW?

#2 is just a pipe dream and could be said for any console base.
Yeah, a lot more.. But there will be even a lot more than now. Like, 2:1 now, and 2.5:1 later, got it?
I don't need you to agree... I just want to let you know what happened in case you lose it. :)

#2 can be said about consoles that had a launch of a big game, and have big userbase. PS3 does'nt have both.

Top Bottom