• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Formula One 2010 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
DieH@rd said:
Im from Serbia and i cant wait to see what will happen with Stefan GP. There is lot of rumors flying around that they will enter in this season.

They have announced first car testing in 25-28 February 2010 @ Portugal Portimao test track. Car and drivers will be shown few days before [hopefully]
There's a much better chance of Stephen GP making the 2010 grid than Campos or USF1 at the moment.

olore

I think this thread deserves a chance to prosper at least. F1 is big enough to interest a large demographic of NeoGAF.

Also, Hamilton FTMW! :D

Final nail in the USF1 coffin it seems.
Jose Maria Lopez and his advisor Felipe McGough have spent a second day with Bernie Ecclestone in London, as the F1 boss tries to sort out a 2010 seat for the Argentine driver.

Lopez was told by Peter Windsor earlier this week in Charlotte that US F1 would not make the first race in Bahrain. Having made commitments to his sponsors the former GP2 driver immediately began looking for an alternative, and travelled to Europe with McGough, his father, and his touring car team boss, former F3 driver Victor Rosso.

Meetings have taken place today and yesterday as Bernie tries to broker a deal that will presumably see Lopez join Bruno Senna at a reorganised Campos Meta team.

A close associate of Lopez told me today: “US F1 hadn’t finished the car and we had promised everyone that we would be in the first race in Bahrain. That’s why Felipe decided to reorganise everything, because we can’t miss Bahrain. The only thing we want is that ‘Pechito’ drives in F1. Everything else is not important for us.”

Chad Hurley’s advisor Parris Mullins is also still in the loop, and it remains to be seen whether the YouTube founder brings some much need financial support to the Campos project. There has been no response from US F1 to yesterday’s revelations that both Lopez and Hurley have left the team.
Source

The US deserves better representation in F1 than this.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Man, If Lopez has an out in his contract then USF1 are at least 8 Million dollars down.

USF1 are toast.

Deadman

Hmm as it seems its prediction time ill have a go.

1. Schumacher
2. Hamilton
3. Massa
4. Alonso

Im happy with who i have in the top 4, but really struggle to find a proper order for them. In the end i decided that Schumacher and Hamilton have the benefit of a teammate they can dominate and who won't take any points from them, whereas i see massa and alonso fighting for the title all season. I think this year will probably be as close as 2007/08 were, with any of those 4 drivers still able to win it by the last couple of races.

As for the rest of the teams i think red bull will do quite well, but i think vettel needs a little longer to mature and webber needs a little more skill to properly compete for the title. Rest of the chasing pack to swap places virtually every race depending on whether the track suits their car.

Kobayashi to be the most fun to watch for sure.

Sucks that USF1 can't get its shit together, I was looking to forward to at least some US participation in F1.

Anyway, I can't wait for the return of Schumi, I'd love to see him win another.

scarybore

I guess I'll just be looking at the motorsport thread for the really awesome rally pics now. :lol

With that USF1 news, is that Stefan team likely to get the place on the grid?

Wes

venison crêpe
The 2010 system will see 25 points for first, 20 for second, 15 for third, ten for fourth and then eight, six, five, three, two, and finally one for tenth place.

My head tells me this is the most exciting change but I'm not really sure why.

With so many points for first I think they could've given a point for fastest lap and pole position too.

Somtaaw said:
the new point system will be 25-18-15-12-10-8-6-4-2-1 not 25-20-15-10-8-6-5-3-2-1
Yeah, just shows how much changes in the world of F1 in such a short period of time, as some of the info in the OP is already out of date.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I don't care who wins this season, I just hope my lofty expectations of an excellent season are met.

speedpop said:
I don't care who wins this season, I just hope my lofty expectations of an excellent season are met.
Schumacher versus the young guns; would could possibly go wrong. It certainly won't be boring.

I don't think it's been mentioned yet, so here goes;

The Lotus looks fab on track in my opinion, everyone was fawning over the Virgin recently, but this is the real looker so far.

5ze8bd.jpg

97tfz5.jpg

2vte1sn.jpg

Some technical info from Scarbsf1's excellent blog.

Why wheelbase is important?
A huge amount of fan attention has been focussed on wheelbase this year. Even in recent years some teams’ preference for longer wheelbases has driven a lot of assumptions. A typical F1 car is over three metres long; this length is largely dictated by the need to package the driver, fuel tank, engine and gearbox along the centreline of the car. With engines being fairly fixed in length, fuel tanks needing to be sight centrally for weight distribution reasons, it settles down to fuel tank length, gearbox length and how far back from the front axle line the driver sits to determine the wheelbase.
Source

Mercedes: Jerez Developments
Ross Brawn was open following the opening test in Valencia, which uncovered a few problems with the car. One being the cars weight distribution, which is reportedly too far forward. With the narrower front tyres and revised rears most teams are playing with this setting. Brawn were one of the team that learnt early last year how a forwards weight bias would work well with the new slick tyres. This year the tendency is to shift the distribution back 1-2%. Which is a relatively simple case of taking ballast from the front wing and splitter and placing it around the gearbox area.
Source

Mercedes must win to stay in F1
That is the clear message of the German carmaker's chief executive Dieter Zetsche, who told manager-magazin.com - in an interview to be published on Friday - that winning is "a condition" of the project.
Source

For newcomers to the sport or anyone still wondering what the hell diffusers are and why they're so significant. It maybe an example of a LMP car, but it's still applicable to F1.

diffuser5.jpg

A diffuser allows the air traveling underneath the car a place to expand and decelerate back to road speed as well as providing wake infill. As the air enters towards the front of the car it accelerates and reduces pressure. There is a second suction peak at the transition of the flat bottom and diffuser. The diffuser then eases this "high velocity" air back to normal velocity and also helps fill in the area behind the race car making the whole underbody a more efficient downforce producing device by reducing drag and increasing downforce.

Understand that a true flat bottomed car (one without a diffuser) will produce downforce in and of itself when run in rake. Essentially the entire flat bottom becomes one large diffuser. It too has two suction peaks, one upon entrance, the second at the trailing edge of the flat undertray. A diffuser acts to enhance this underside suction, it acts like a pump, encouraging better flow under the car.

One thing to note is that the rear wing interacts with the diffuser "driving" it. The proximity of the low pressure side of the rear wing encourages better flow through for the underbody.
Source

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
subzero9285 said:

The Lotus looks fab on track in my opinion, everyone was fawning over the Virgin recently, but this is the real looker so far.

5ze8bd.jpg

97tfz5.jpg

2vte1sn.jpg

For me, I think the reason why I like the Lotus is because of the nostalgia from the livery. It is a pretty clean design, but it comes off to me as a slow flat box with wheels. It's almost too simplistic.

Dilly

Banned
I hope Stefan GP gets the spot on the grid instead of USF1.

How did they fail? They were planning this since 2008?

Momo

Banned
subzero9285 said:

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd138/subzero9285/Sub/2nd/5ze8bd.jpg[MG]

[IMG]http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd138/subzero9285/Sub/2nd/97tfz5.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd138/subzero9285/Sub/2nd/2vte1sn.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
I agree 100% this car is a real looker, I hope Jarno gets some of the old flame back for what should be his final season in F1

Momo

Banned
DieH@rd said:
:eek: So far so good, Nakajima and Villeneuve! :D This season will own!

Shumacher... check
crazy Kobayashi... check
Serbian F1 team... almost check :D
Oh come now, Kobayashi looks a real prospect, there is only one nutbag Japanese driver that should get the crazy moniker, GOD SATO :lol

Also thanks for this thread, was getting tired of skimming through the rally and crazy IRL prototypes and Nascar to get F1 chatter.

moojito

Anyone following the testing? I see Button seems to be getting the hang of the new car, at least!

Code:
1  Button McLaren  1m21.435s 
2  Webber Red Bull  1m21.684s  +0.249 
3  Alonso Ferrari  1m21.771s  +0.336 
4  Kubica Renault  1m22.415s  +0.980 
5  Alguersuari Toro Rosso  1m23.085s  +1.650 
6  Schumacher Mercedes  1m23.320s  +1.885 
7  Sutil Force India  1m24.407s  +2.972 
8  Hulkenberg Williams  1m25.691s  +4.256 
9  Kobayashi Sauber  1m25.818s  +4.383 
10  Di Grassi Virgin  1m31.670s  +10.235

of course the usual caveats apply: fuel loads, testing, wet weather, etc etc. Still confident this season is going to be the most open in years. Good times!

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
:lol I think the only think we really know for certain about this season is that virgin are going to be SLOW.

I guess having a few moving road blocks on the circuit will just serve to make everything at the front of the field even more interesting though.

Kobayashi seems a bit overhyped on this forum. We haven't seen enough of him yet to judge if he's good or not. A lot of drivers started their career with a bang and then ended up in rather mediocrity (J. Villeneuve, Irvine, Webber to name a few).

He could crash out a couple times thanks to his driving style and then he's the token japanese kamikaze driver like so many before him.

Steppenwolf said:
Kobayashi seems a bit overhyped on this forum. We haven't seen enough of him yet to judge if he's good or not. A lot of drivers started their career with a bang and then ended up in rather mediocrity (J. Villeneuve, Irvine, Webber to name a few).

He could crash out a couple times thanks to his driving style and then he's the token japanese kamikaze driver like so many before him.
It's his gung-ho style people are attracted to, someone who actually has the balls to carry out risky overtaking manoeuvres.

Ferrari's wheel nut revelation
Ferrari has designed a new wheel nut in an effort to win F1's 2010 pitstop race.

With in-race refuelling not allowed this year for the first time since 1993, Williams hinted recently that tyre pitstops in 2010 could be as short as sub-three seconds.

Spain's El Pais newspaper reports that Ferrari has responded to the challenge by designing a cone-shaped nut that integrates better with the wheel gun.

The nut also features the automatic triggering of its fastener, where previously it needed to be pulled manually by a mechanic.

"We have worked over the winter to speed up the process of changing tyres," said designer Nikolas Tombazis.
Source

1266569295_1-1.jpg

Momo

Banned
Steppenwolf said:

I have hope for him, he's shown in the two races last season that he has aggression and knows when to apply it, unlike Takagi/Sato and the tame Nakajima.

Not saying two races are enough, but I have high hopes for him yet! Also wrt Villeneuve, mediocre? He was talented, just had some unlucky career choices.

Sloane

Banned
kikanny said:
Why don't you stand Vettel? I mean I'm not a big fan of him or anything but he's a good driver and seems like a fun guy.
I don't really know. Every time I hear him talking he sounds like a self-absorbed douche. Maybe he just reminds me too much of the young Schumacher -- couldn't stand him either in the beginning. :lol

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Code:
1 	 Button		McLaren	 	1m20.394s
2 	 Webber		Red Bull	1m21.684s  +1.290
3 	 Alonso		Ferrari	 	1m21.771s  +1.377
4 	 Kubica		Renault	 	1m21.916s  +1.522
5 	 Alguersuari	Toro Rosso	1m22.973s  +2.579
6 	 Schumacher	Mercedes	1m23.320s  +2.926
7 	 Sutil		Force India	1m24.407s  +4.013
8 	 Hulkenberg	Williams	1m25.357s  +4.963
9 	 Kobayashi	Sauber	 	1m25.818s  +5.424
10 	 Di Grassi	Virgin	 	1m31.670s  +11.276

Virgin need to get their times out of the "Minardi" zone :p :lol

BAW

Banned
I love how we scrutinize diffusers in these threads as if we knew what we were talking about :lol

Sloane said:
I don't really know. Every time I hear him talking he sounds like a self-absorbed douche. Maybe he just reminds me too much of the young Schumacher -- couldn't stand him either in the beginning. :lol

Uh what? They are completely different characters. Schumacher never was even close to being so friendly and sympathetic, especially in his young years.

Sometimes i find Sebastian Vettel a little unintentionaly awkward (maybe that is where you get your opinion from) but thats just his youth and limited english vocabulary. I think he will grow into a character like Hans Joachim Stuck when he gets older, always friendly, always a smile on his face, always a funny phrase coming out of his mouth.

The only thing I find irksome about Vettel is his one-fingered celebration, but apart from that, he comes across as a very good chap.

rr06mo.jpg

Momo

Banned
Vennt said:
Code:
1 	 Button		McLaren	 	1m20.394s
2 	 Webber		Red Bull	1m21.684s  +1.290
3 	 Alonso		Ferrari	 	1m21.771s  +1.377
4 	 Kubica		Renault	 	1m21.916s  +1.522
5 	 Alguersuari	Toro Rosso	1m22.973s  +2.579
6 	 Schumacher	Mercedes	1m23.320s  +2.926
7 	 Sutil		Force India	1m24.407s  +4.013
8 	 Hulkenberg	Williams	1m25.357s  +4.963
9 	 Kobayashi	Sauber	 	1m25.818s  +5.424
10 	 Di Grassi	Virgin	 	1m31.670s  +11.276

Virgin need to get their times out of the "Minardi" zone :p :lol
Thats more pacific or simtek than Minardi :lol

How dare you sir!

EDIT: Is there a 10X% qualy rule this year? :lol

DieH@rd said:
:eek: So far so good, Nakajima and Villeneuve! :D This season will own!

Shumacher... check
crazy Kobayashi... check
Serbian F1 team... almost check :D

Getting closer, as Stefan GP fire up car for the first time
Stefan GP's Formula 1 car has been fired up as the Serbian squad pushes on with its plans to race this year despite not having an entry.

"This morning, 19 February 2010, was another stepping stone for Stefan Grand Prix," said Stefanovic in a telephone interview. "This morning at 8:00, the first car - Stefan 01 - was fired up for the first time.

"The car ran faultlessly, there was no problem whatsoever, and we could race or test on a racetrack, but we're just waiting for tyres."
Source

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Mercedes will introduce brand new front wing in Barcelona. Still quiet about diffusor, but it looks like that can be near the front with modified last year's. Ross arrived in Jerez today, he went to check some stuff in factory.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Dilly said:
Let's hope that new wheelnut of Ferrari works decent.
Well, there are bets already underway, who will be the first Ferrari driver to leave with 3 tyres on :lol

Momo

Banned
All this US-FU and Campiss crap is annoying now, they should allow them in (Stefan) and give all the new teams unlimited testing before the season opener, having cars that far off is good for no one.

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
Looking forward to this season, from a british perspective interested to see how button and hamilton perform in the same team. I think Alonso would be my pick for the title.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom