• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Formula One 2010 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Igo

So what are the expected lineup's for next season?

Is it certain that DiResta is taking a Force India seat? Sutil staying?

Goldrusher

5b3acy.jpg

"some1stuck britney in my passport. no idea who"
:lol

Haunted

I'm not really part of F1 GAF but damn if this wasn't an entertaining season. I laughed at RTL's biased commentary before the last race, always trying to calculate how Vettel could still take this if this and that happened - I never imagined he would actually do it. :lol

Fantastic season finale for him, youngest World Champion ever? Oh my.

Britprog said:
Ferrari Press Release

http://www.ferrari.com/English/Form..._fantastic_season_ends_in_disappointment.aspx

I don't believe they said that in a press release, Ferrari are a bunch of jokers!!! :lol
wow! That's real?

Ferrari with the tears.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Loved the BBC montage. I wish TSN in Canada would just go all the way and get the entire BBC broadcast. I miss not having preview shows, etc. I used to watch the Speed preview show which I liked, but its blacked out.

Jinjo

DrM said:
It will be interesting to see, which team will develop the lightest KERS system.

It might be time for Williams to unleash that prototype flywheel KERS of them that was in development in 2009 (even though it never left the factory or even the drawing table). The teams that ran KERS in 2009 will have a huge advantage in terms of knowing how to deal with the weight penalties and restrictions of the device. Mercedes' KERS package will most likely still be the strongest at the beginning of the year, without a doubt. And teams like Red Bull, who have no KERS experience, could very well get their car balance very wrong.

shas'la said:
"checked in dubai.receptionist was shocked when she saw passport.some1stuck britney in my passport.no idea who http://plixi.com/p/57112914"

:lol

Classic. :lol

Also, BBC montage was indeed superawesome.

Edit: And for the people that are in need for more montages I have found the season recap from the dutch network that broadcasts F1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVn1qA61Hi8

Epic Vettel finger compilation at 2:49. Someone should .gif that for sure.:lol And Vettel dancing with the champagne bottle at the end is pretty funny too.

Yes, we can say fuck on national television here.

Jinjo

Whipped these up pretty fast, maybe someone else can do a better job at them (first one is a bit too fast for my taste).

vettel-finger-o.gif

vettel-dance-o.gif

Britprog

Jinjo said:
It might be time for Williams to unleash that prototype flywheel KERS of them that was in development in 2009 (even though it never left the factory or even the drawing table). The teams that ran KERS in 2009 will have a huge advantage in terms of knowing how to deal with the weight penalties and restrictions of the device. Mercedes' KERS package will most likely still be the strongest at the beginning of the year, without a doubt. And teams like Red Bull, who have no KERS experience, could very well get their car balance very wrong.

Classic. :lol

Also, BBC montage was indeed superawesome.

Edit: And for the people that are in need for more montages I have found the season recap from the dutch network that broadcasts F1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVn1qA61Hi8

Epic Vettel finger compilation at 2:49. Someone should .gif that for sure.:lol And Vettel dancing with the champagne bottle at the end is pretty funny too.

Yes, we can say fuck on national television here.

Cool vid, loved the soundbits, the Vettel one saying "don't worry boys we will get them" turned out to be true.

EDIT Beaten

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Money Money HRT got no money & no car!

Yet again like 2010, HRT wanted someone else to build a car for them and again haven't been paying the bills so now they have no car for next year!

Toyota Motorsport say they are no longer offering support to HRT.

A statement issued by the company said:

Toyota Motorsport GmbH (TMG) confirms that all cooperation with Hispania Racing F1 Team (HRT) has been terminated and will not resume.

TMG retains all intellectual property rights to its current F1 car and is completely free to pursue other projects and support new customers for its high-performance engineering services.

TMG regrets that HRT has not met its contractual payment obligations and will pursue all available options to reach a satisfactory conclusion to this matter.

Toyota Motorsport has acted as an engineering services supplier since its Cologne-based team withdrew from Formula 1 at the end of last year. Its facilities includ a wind tunnel and driving simulator.

Juicy Bob

Can't say that I'll miss them. I'd be far more gutted if Lotus or Virgin disappeared and I hope that both of them have a much better year in 2011 for the sake of the sport.

shas'la

navanman said:

Yet again like 2010, HRT wanted someone else to build a car for them and again haven't been paying the bills so now they have no car for next year!

Just come back Toyota!!! Or at least provide engines!

S. L.

navanman said:

I also think they got cold feet, realizing the crappiness of HRT. No way they want their name associated with them :lol :lol

Deadman

Winning the Formula One Constructors' Championship don't come cheap. Just ask Red Bull Racing owner Dietrich Mateschitz.

The energy drinks company boss will have to fork out approximately £5.5 million to pay bonuses to every single employee - even the receptionist and the cleaning staff - who helped the team to win the Constructors' title this year.

According to The Guardian, 'Red Bull are paying each and every member of staff - roughly 550 people - £10,000 for their constructors' victory.'

Team principal Christian Horner says he has been receiving several texts since the team won the team title at Interlagos.

"I had a load of texts after Brazil saying 'Thanks for the new kitchen'," he said.

Meanwhile, Mateschitz told Autosport they are more than happy to dig deep in their pockets.

"Of course, as Championship bonuses are written down in every contract. I guess we can afford this..."

Thats nice for all the workers :D

Deadman

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/88363

Formula 1 is close to giving the final green light for High Definition television coverage of the sport to begin from the first race of the 2011 season, AUTOSPORT has learned.

With the HD switch topping the wish-list of fans during recent surveys, there has been much interest in how soon Bernie Ecclestone will approve the move - with the F1 supremo making it clear several times that he wanted to be sure that before he approved it, there were enough viewers capable of watching it and that broadcast channels were ready to distribute it.

Although he suggested in the middle of this year that the switch was unlikely before 2012, in recent weeks he has hinted that there was a chance it could be on the cards for 2011. In September, Ecclestone told the BBC: "I think we'll be moving to High Definition, probably next year."

AUTOSPORT understands those chances have moved a major step closer in recent weeks as big efforts have been made behind the scenes to see what is possible for the start of next season.

It is believed that the plans are at a sufficiently advanced stage for orders to have been placed for the equipment that F1 chiefs will need for the sport to be broadcast in HD.

continued at link

And thats good for us :D :D :D :D :D

Shaneus

Deadman said:
Thats nice for all the workers :D
You forgot the final part of the article:
Horner added, "Mark Webber will be the only person not to receive a bonus this year. We will let him bring a +1 to the staff Christmas party, which is a far offer better than anyone could have expected given his result in the WDC this year."

navanman

HD next year together with the BBC F1 coverage would be a dream come true.
So hopefully next year if Bernie signs off on it, we will have F1 and MotoGP in HD; should be amazing.

navanman

Hulkenburg to Ferrari?

Rumours in the German media this morning & now in the Italian press that Hulkenburg is going to take the 2nd Ferrari seat from Massa. Grain of salt, etc...

DrM

Redmond's Baby
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/88389
Todt denied that his complaints were motivated by his former team Ferrari having missed out on the title because Alonso could not get back up to the fourth place he needed at Yas Marina - pointing out that McLaren driver Lewis Hamilton's shot at victory was also severely hampered by the overtaking problem when he was caught behind the yet-to-stop Renault of Robert Kubica.

"I speak as president of the FIA," said Todt. "Take Hamilton: he had fresh tyres, he would have lapped two seconds quicker than Kubica, yet he didn't manage to pass him.

"From now on, before homologating a circuit, we'll evaluate its spectacle potential, besides its safety."

He said the FIA was prepared to take rapid action on the overtaking issue.

"On 23 November we'll discuss the overtaking problem in the commission," Todt revealed. "It's the cars' and tracks' fault.

"We will create a report card with the circuits' competitiveness, and we'll see if we can make some modifications in 2011 already, if possible."

navanman

S. L. said:
i hope they are crap
so we can see more divisive strategies next year and more mistakes

I wouldn't say crap but not as conservative and durable as the Bridgestone were this year.
Pirelli have hinted that they will be have a shorter life-span for the tyres in 2011 so we won't see a repeat of Vettel in Monza or Rosberg, Petrov at last race going to race distance on one set of tyres.

S. L.

navanman said:
I wouldn't say crap but not as conservative and durable as the Bridgestone were this year.
Pirelli have hinted that they will be have a shorter life-span for the tyres in 2011 so we won't see a repeat of Vettel in Monza or Rosberg, Petrov at last race going to race distance on one set of tyres.
tyre strategies were a borefest this season. especially in the second half where even the 10+ qualified started on soft tyres.

Adamm

Im still not sure why Pirelli would try to make thier tyres not last as long as Bridgestone.

Pirelli entered the sport to advertise thier own tyres, why would they make it seem like they dont last as long?
It will look bad on them if they start falling apart after 10 laps when Bridgestone tyres lasted 40+

They have nothing to gain from making them fall apart quickly - unless it was part of the agreement to become the new tyre supplier.

Lucius86

Banned
Either way, the tyre simulation this year has been pretty naff, with the disparity between the two compounds nowhere near as extreme as I thought the hype led to believe.

navanman

So whats are we doing with this thread and till next March?
Keeping this thread open for general discussion or making a new thread for off-season only?

S. L.

DSWii60 said:
I'm number 4 in the rankings! :D
done :D

navanman said:
So whats are we doing with this thread and till next March?
Keeping this thread open for general discussion or making a new thread for off-season only?
last season we had quite a lot of off-season discussion, especially when the testing started. so maybe a new thread in January/February when new info for the next season teams/cars and stuff starts tickling in?

all good if they still have wear like this next year

z1290160243.jpg

z1290160204.jpg

z1290160333.jpg

Code:
1 	Massa   	Ferrari   	1:40.170   	 	94
2 	Vettel  	Red Bull  	1:40.500  	0.330 	77
3 	Paffett  	McLaren  	1:40.874  	0.704 	94
4 	Kobayashi  	Sauber  	1:40.950  	0.780 	83
5 	Kubica  	Renault  	1:41.032  	0.862 	39
6 	Barrichello  	Williams  	1:41.425  	1.255 	91
7 	Di Resta 	Force India 	1:41.615 	1.445 	20
8 	Rosberg  	Mercedes  	1:41.778  	1.608 	81
9 	Alguersuari  	Toro Rosso  	1:42.019  	1.849 	71
10 	Sutil  	      Force India  	1:42.859  	2.689 	20
11 	Glock  	      Virgin  	1:44.124  	4.887 	78
12 	Kovalainen  	Lotus  	1:44.686  	4.988 	88
13 	Maldonado  	HRT F1  	1:45.728  	5.558 	83

navanman

News from Pirelli: Vettel did suffer a tyre failure right at the end of the day. Right-rear.
Pirelli's Paul Hembrey has just said that his engineers are out on track now looking to see what might have caused the failure.

Lots of work for the teams to tweak their suspension to not kill these new tyres.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom