• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Jan 2008 NPD Thread - HW Shortages + Spectacular SW

Blablurn

MassiveAttack said:
2e3xrur.jpg

"it's not connected" :lol

Analysis up at niceskybox.com.

There’s no doubt about it: Sony scored a big victory in January. PS3’s margin of victory wasn’t huge, and Microsoft’s inexplicable inability to get consoles into consumers’ hands was as much a part of the equation as PS3’s success, but Sony can finally chalk up a victory over Xbox360. For the first time since launch, they can say “We won (discounting Wii, of course)!”

Still, it’s doubtful that January is a sign of any major reversal in regards to overall sales trends in the US. From a hardware standpoint, Xbox 360 had a great holiday season (where it outsold PS3 by a significant margin), and it simply doesn’t make any sense for such a dramatic reversal in consumer interest to occur in the very next month. And when you look at the industry in terms of software, 360 has continually surpassed historical industry trends. The fact of the matter is, Microsoft (and Nintendo, for that matter) essentially sold out of product in December, and since their supply lines were so manipulated to get as much stock into stores as quickly as possible, there wasn’t a lot left to fill shelves in January. On the other hand, while Sony had a solid holiday, PS3 had plenty of leftover supply to satiate demand in January. That’s not to take anything away from their success, though – in spite of all of the negativity surround its next gen machine (high price, poor sales of key 1st party titles, etc), Sony has done well to at least keep PS3 relevant in the market. They aren’t going down without a fight.

Ultimately, for what it’s worth, mark down January 2008 as the first time since launch that Sony has bested Microsoft. And depending on how soon 360’s supply woes are dealt with, PS3 might come away with a multi-month string of successes when the dust settles. Momentum means a lot in this industry, and Microsoft had better watch out that Sony doesn’t gain a lot of it in the first part of 2008. PS3 has had a lot of bad press over the past year, and to be honest, even the emergence of Blu-ray as the standard for hi-def media and a sales victory in January probably won’t be enough to overturn consumer wariness towards the console (domestically, anyway). But every comeback needs a first step.

Basch

Oh wow. This is a suprise. Hopefully a sign of good things to come. But most importantly all those PS3 owners better be picking up Uncharted and Ratchet. It will all be for naught otherwise. Matter of fact, while you're at it, I would recommend those owners also pick up Resistance (you absolutely cannot refuse this one), WOWHawk, and Heavenly Sword. Games are what systems are all about. So go get 'em. Hardware is always a nice sign though. And I think people need to stop downplaying this due to shortages. I also think people shouldn't be treating this like the end of the road. What the hell is wrong with some of you people. Anything could happen at this point. All systems deserve props. They all did fairly nice for this time of year. Wouldn't it be awesome if by the end of this generation there was this little of a gap between the consoles' sales. It would be a testament to what has truly been one of the best generations for gaming ever. Congratulations goes out to Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft. And probably even more importantly, the gamers who bought them. This industry has only begun to spread its wings.

Basch

Absinthe said:
Shortages? What in the fuck are you people talking about? This is purely anecdotal, of course, but there have been stacks upon stacks of all consoles (except for the Wii) since October. I'm talking Best Buy, EB Games, etc.

That's what I was going to say as well. The last time I made a trip to my Best Buy (not too long ago) there were hundreds all lined up neat little (an understatement :lol ) stacks for both PS3 and 360s. It wasn't just at Best Buy, it was everywhere. These are not too terribly hard to come by. And people should also remember shortages could lead to a loss of interest. Hopefully, no one is relying on that statement to somehow put themselves above the competition. *Knows full on well how pointless it is to hope.*

Mrbob

sonycowboy said:
80GB has been out of stock (now discontinued) at most Gamestops since mid to late January. That's going to hurt PS3 in Feb, IMO.

Gotta clear out the 80gb model for the rebranded PS3 entertainment pack due out soon.

Lobster

Banned
All I see is "OMG NOMORE HEROES FUCKING SUCCESS"

when I search..

Can anyone point me in the direction of this success so I can be happy too?

Busaiku

Lobster said:
All I see is "OMG NOMORE HEROES FUCKING SUCCESS"

when I search..

Can anyone point me in the direction of this success so I can be happy too?
100k (which was the number from that site) would be incredible for a Suda51 game, being the best selling by a huge margin.
Looks like we'll be getting the actual numbers tomorrow though.

MaX_PL

Banned
Absinthe said:
Shortages? What in the fuck are you people talking about? This is purely anecdotal, of course, but there have been stacks upon stacks of all consoles (except for the Wii) since October. I'm talking Best Buy, EB Games, etc.

go to your stores, take pictures, and then back up your statement. sucka.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
The only 'stacks' we have had are the 7 40GBs PS3s that we have in stock right now. Other than black and blue DS, we have no other next gen systems in stock period. (that goes for all other stores in my district, as well, besides a few Arcades and a couple 80 GBs left)

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Spotless Mind said:
Some of you guys need serious sarcasm detectors, since you're still quoting me after 24 pages. :lol

Sarcasm detectors are void null in the written form unless you give a hint son!:D

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Liabe Brave said:
It improved very well over last year, and the big multiplatform software sells to a higher percentage of its userbase than on 360.

This logic has been proven flawed time and time again. The larger your userbase grows, the smaller X game will sell on a % base. So, if you guys that keep repeating this crap are correct, GTA:SA should have sold way more than it did on the PS2. Problem is just like I said: The larger your userbase gets, the smaller the % of said userbase that purchases X title becomes.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Absinthe said:

Um.

You're fucking wrong.

NolbertoS

About time Sony did something right, makes the console wars interesting, being a PS3Wii60 owner, it's just fun to watch on the sidelines, while the Fanboy wars are just beginning.

omg rite said:
Um.

You're fucking wrong.
yup.. because in the chicagoland..you'll be hard pressed to find a 360

NolbertoS said:
About time Sony did something right, makes the console wars interesting, being a PS3Wii60 owner, it's just fun to watch on the sidelines, while the Fanboy wars are just beginning.

Who said sony did something right? :lol You sony fanboys..dont get your hopes up lol

Basch

MaX_PL said:
go to your stores, take pictures, and then back up your statement. sucka.

I may just hold you up to that. I'm sure they still have those stacks. Its not like they could have disappeared (been bought). I'm dropping my brother's 360 in for a replacement anyways. Hopefully Best Buy doesn't freak out. :lol I just don't think the shortages are nearly as bad as people are making them. There is more to this nation beyond California, you know. And that goes for other major metro areas as well.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
To be fair, from October to about mid-December there WERE stacks of PS3s and 360's. Then, many 360's sold out (except some Arcades and Halo editions), while Sony stuffed retail with PS3s galore (at least at Target, they did). Then, throughout January, MS was sitting with their thumbs up their collective butt and Sony sold a (relative) ton from having product in stores.

I am sure the Warner announcement deal helped a tad (but not a TON), mainly it was just having something in stock and ready to go with today's biggest games, namely Guitar Hero III, Call of Duty 4, Rock Band, and Assassin's Creed. Can't argue with that lineup (for casuals and hardcore alike) and simply being in stock.

Basch

NolbertoS said:

Well, I'm a bit of a fanboy for all three systems, but yeah, multi-console gaming is the way to go. I feel like I'm in gaming heaven this gen.

omg rite said:
Um.

You're fucking wrong.

Don't tell me I'm fucking wrong. I was just in EB Games yesterday when I picked up Professor Layton and they had a fucking stack of Rock Band, 360, and PS3 consoles in the middle of the store. The Wii, on the other hand, can't be found. I've also seen the same thing in Best Buy and Gamespot.

Basch said:
Oh wow. This is a suprise. Hopefully a sign of good things to come. But most importantly all those PS3 owners better be picking up Uncharted and Ratchet. It will all be for naught otherwise. Matter of fact, while you're at it, I would recommend those owners also pick up Resistance (you absolutely cannot refuse this one), WOWHawk, and Heavenly Sword. Games are what systems are all about. So go get 'em. Hardware is always a nice sign though. And I think people need to stop downplaying this due to shortages. I also think people shouldn't be treating this like the end of the road. What the hell is wrong with some of you people. Anything could happen at this point. All systems deserve props. They all did fairly nice for this time of year. Wouldn't it be awesome if by the end of this generation there was this little of a gap between the consoles' sales. It would be a testament to what has truly been one of the best generations for gaming ever. Congratulations goes out to Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft. And probably even more importantly, the gamers who bought them. This industry has only begun to spread its wings.
I just vomited a little in my mouth reading that.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
sonycowboy said:
I can ABSOLUTEY CONFIRM that every brick and mortar retailer is having issues with 360 HW inventory. It's not a cop out. However, there were regular shipments, just not big enough. If there were stock, I could easily see it going above 300k, but how much higher we'll never know.

Damnit, give them their moment in the sun asshole. 2007 was a tough year being outsold by almost 1.8M in the US. Let them have their time!

I'm being sarcastic....don't ban me

MaX_PL

Banned
Absinthe said:
Don't tell me I'm fucking wrong. I was just in EB Games yesterday when I picked up Professor Layton and they had a fucking stack of Rock Band, 360, and PS3 consoles in the middle of the store. The Wii, on the other hand, can't be found. I've also seen the same thing in Best Buy and Gamespot.

really since when does EB Games stack their consoles in the middle of the store?

youre full of shit. sorry.

Tabris

I like the spin fanboys are putting on this when the simple fact this is just the beginning of PS3 outselling the Wii/360 for hardware for the entire year. Spring 2008 will see the PS3 outselling the Wii by a margin.

Wii is out, PS3 is in.

Oh, and an interesting fact: Playstation family has outsold the Nintendo family by more than the total sales of the XBox 360 this month.

Absinthe said:

Just remember that this NPD period only covered January. I know that microsoft said that supply issues would exist until March, there are a few indications that supply has increased a little bit, which makes sense, if you think about the issues they're having. Things will get gradually better over time.

MaX_PL said:
really since when does EB Games stack their consoles in the middle of the store?

youre full of shit. sorry.

They started doing it in October or so of last year and it is still continuing. In fact, they've remodeled their whole store and have taken Gamecube games off the shelves in order to make room for Wii games. The PS2 has been downsized as well.

legend166 said:
I bet after all the NMH excitement it will probably end up selling 25k or something.

:(
Probably, but 25k would still put NMH on track to blow away the sales of every other Suda51 game. Even the discredited 100k claim was over the last 3 weeks so it wouldn't have been just January.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Tabris said:
I like the spin fanboys are putting on this when the simple fact this is just the beginning of PS3 outselling the Wii/360 for hardware for the entire year. Spring 2008 will see the PS3 outselling the Wii by a margin.

Wii is out, PS3 is in.

Oh, and an interesting fact: Playstation family has outsold the Nintendo family by more than the total sales of the XBox 360.
:lol I'm so glad you're not banned. I already miss Hans.

Basch

Absinthe said:

Same here. I think its just the major metro areas that took the big hit. People can't just throw around the word shortages. There are way too many variables. Just take a little time to think about it. Its like someone said a while back. GAF is not senior sales correspondents. We are gamers. We like to predict things, but we should keep in mind we are not the professionals. We don't have access to all the data necessary to draw such broad conclusions.

Tabris said:

Wii is out, PS3 is in.

Oh, and an interesting fact: Playstation family has outsold the Nintendo family by more than the total sales of the XBox 360.

Oh god. :lol

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Tabris said:

Wii is out, PS3 is in.

Holy shit some one brings fighting words! It's actually refreshing to see Sony succeed even though we get the super Sony bashing in 1 thread at least it won't be spread all over.

Tabris said:

Wii is out, PS3 is in.

Wow, Sony manages to get one foot out of the grave and Sony fanboys think they're on top of the world again.
Whatever though, as a Wii fan all I care is that the battle for #1 has been decided. How the battle for #2 shapes up doesn't concern me much.

Choke on the Magic said:
Holy shit! I was just browsing the thread and :lol @ ^^^^^^. Someone actually went out to take pictures at their local store! Well that settles it, every store must be like that.:lol
I've been to about 8 stores today and they all looked like that...

Jirotrom

Absinthe said:
there was a shortage her in dallas TX on 360s for about the whole month of January.

Jirotrom

Absinthe said:
They started doing it in October or so of last year and it is still continuing. In fact, they've remodeled their whole store and have taken Gamecube games off the shelves in order to make room for Wii games. The PS2 has been downsized as well.
We dont stack our consoles in the middle of the store...those are empty boxes.

Top Bottom