• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NHL Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShutEye

By a million miles:

blackhawksbg0.jpg

So now that the Blue Jackets have the following forwards:

Nash
Brule
Federov
Carter
Zherdev
Modin

What happens to Vyborny? Does he still stay on Zherdev's line with someone like Modin or Carter going down to the third or what?

and, say.... the Oilers.

Columbus now easily has two of the best lines in the Western Conference... save for a few teams like San Jose, no one can compete with that depth. It's a little hard to match a great two front lines like that when their team is paying some scrub goalie pennies compared to an all star olympic 6.5+ million goalie.

Thankfully it looks like they've got shit for goaltending, checking lines, and save for a couple solid d-men, defense.

dem

Smyth Horcoff Lupul
Torres Sykora Hemsky

contends just fine :)

especially with a third line of

Moreau Stoll Pisani

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Mike Works said:
and, say.... the Oilers.

Columbus now easily has two of the best lines in the Western Conference... save for a few teams like San Jose, no one can compete with that depth. It's a little hard to match a great two front lines like that when their team is paying some scrub goalie pennies compared to an all star olympic 6.5+ million goalie.

Thankfully it looks like they've got shit for goaltending, checking lines, and save for a couple solid d-men, defense.
I've actually got Columbus finishing 2nd in the central behind the Preds and ahead of Detroit. A lot of people don't realize that they were a pretty decent team late last year, after they got over their rough run with injuries, and they've gotten better in the offseason. I think Nashville's deeper at forward but I'm bias, however here's someone who shares my thoughts...

http://www.thn.com/en/news/news.asp?idNews=21872

SA-X

I'll give you the Preds finishing ahead of the Wings but the Blue Jackets? :lol

That offense will give them a nice winning streak or two during the season but their crappy defense and goaltending will doom them in the end. And none of their top two line forwards are exactly known for their defensive play either (except for Federov of course, but he's old and broken).

sefskillz

SA-X said:
I'll give you the Preds finishing ahead of the Wings but the Blue Jackets? :lol
This is why we need a preseason predictions thread, so we can all get a kick out of how batshit crazy wrong we were!

pops619

Columbus' goaltending isn't that crappy. Leclaire started to break through for them last year. They're continuing to progress. I don't think they're playoff calibre yet but they're getting there. Carter and Modin are nice additions to their offense.

Wolf

GO HABS GO
BigJonsson said:
Zherdev signed

319-italy_crowd.jpg

I think I officially take the title of best last pick selection EVER. His addition to my roster means I have some moves to make...

sefskillz said:
This is why we need a preseason predictions thread, so we can all get a kick out of how batshit crazy wrong we were!

What is it with people here and making threads, like its bad karma or something. :lol
Sefskillz, I nominate you to make the thread. If you really don't want too, then let me know and I will.

edit - Dammit, I just realized that pic is from Italy winning the WC. I feel dirty now..

....(go Argentina!)

sefskillz

Wolf said:
Sefskillz, I nominate you to make the thread. If you really don't want too, then let me know and I will.
I would, but I've been... busy... and I've got to return some videotapes....

dem said:
Smyth Horcoff Lupul
Torres Sykora Hemsky

contends just fine :)

especially with a third line of

Moreau Stoll Pisani
The Oilers have some nice depth in scoring, but their top two lines are not as offensively rich as Columbus, dem. Simple as that.

And I think Edmonton might actually have a worse defense than Columbus :lol

dem

Mike Works said:
The Oilers have some nice depth in scoring, but their top two lines are not as offensively rich as Columbus, dem. Simple as that.

Nash-Federov-Vyborny
Modin-Brule-Zherdev

Nash >> Smyth
Fedorov = Horcoff (Sorry... at this point its true.)
Vyborny = Lupul (quite frankly i think Lupul will be better.. but whatever)
Modin = Torres
Brule<Sykora
Zherdev<Hemsky

Meh.. I think they match up quite well.

And i just choose to cover my ears and close my eyes when someone talks about the Oilers D :p

I posed this question earlier, but do you think Vyborny is going to stick on the top two lines? Of all people on this forum, YOU should know they have Anson Carter now.

calder

I'm going to throw in my 2 cents...

Nash>>> Smyth
Fedorov = Horcoff, federov really is a shadow of his former self, I'd rather have Horcoff tbh
Vyborny < Lupul, I'll give Lupul the nod right now
Modin = Torres
Brule = Sykora, i think Sykora is overrated thanks to a few great years in NJ a long time ago and Brule should step in and be effective now
Zherdev>Hemsky, but it's close

Shinobi

calder said:
And, <3 TSN for upgrading the quality of their training camp coverage.

I'm assuming this'll brief love affair will come to a screeching halt when Domi shows up. :lol

dem said:
I like white at home...

cause white = the good guys :)

mactavish.jpg

"What the ****..."

I've always liked the vintage Blackhawks jersey, and I'm really not sure why.

alternate_jersey-1992_big.jpg

Probably has to do with when they wore the jersey in the early 90's while still playing at Chicago Stadium, which easily had the most bitchin' atmosphere in any North American venue. The Leafs and Hawks had a really great rivalry at that time, just smashing the shit out of each other. But man did I love watching the Chicago Stadium games...the fans just going nuts during the American anthem, the 30,000 pipe organ blasting away, Belfour in his first couple years with the coolest hockey master ever seen till that point, Roenick in his early years just dominating. Can't forget the Grim Reaper going nuts in one game either. :lol

Karakand

Lupul is horribly one-dimensional but that boy can snipe like a mofo. I'd take him over Vyborny any day.

On the jersey topic, I've always had a soft spot for the Wings one. Simple, elegant and classic. Too bad I hate the team that wears them. :)

The best jersey in the NHL is the Oilers 3rd jersey

That awful cog thing looked terrible. Teams that have winning tradition like the Oilers have no reason to let the marketing guys step in churn out that filth. I think a lot of what makes a jersey great is the history behind it so why not roll out the colors of the Oiler's dynasty is they need an alternate. Vintage is in. The same should apply to the original six teams (see the Rangers and Bruins as examples nasty 3rd jerseys).

I'm a Devils fan, and the team is deadset against a 3rd jersey. But I want to watch them in the wearing the same uni's as the Devils' teams that raised the Cup mutliple times.

In terms of asthetically pleasing, I still think the Winnepeg Jets 1990's logo and jersey is one of the best ever. Does anyone know if the Coyotes retain retain the rights to that? If they ever put a team back in Winnepeg, they should revive the team like the NFL's Browns.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
ShutEye said:
By a million miles:

blackhawksbg0.jpg

I agree Blackhawks is by far the nicest jersey.

The first black Senators jersey was nice I don't understand why they changed to the ugly ass 4D face.

Change the border trims and i'd probably buy one.

tugnutt.jpg

Karakand

KilledByBill said:
The same should apply to the original six teams (see the Rangers and Bruins as examples nasty 3rd jerseys).

The past is all the Bruins have. :)

As for the Jets, the Coyotes have all those rights still. What happened with the Browns was a pretty big aberration from the norm.

Osorio

KilledByBill said:
I'm a Devils fan, and the team is deadset against a 3rd jersey. But I want to watch them in the wearing the same uni's as the Devils' teams that raised the Cup mutliple times.
I don't even know what a 3rd jersey would look like. The Lowell Devils symbol with the NJ instead of the L?

Low06_200.jpg

Wolf

GO HABS GO
Allright, prediction thread is up and running.

Going with this jersey talk, If I couldn't homer out and say the Habs, I'd go with a blackhawks/red wings tie.

Karakand

This is a total bullshit pick but whatever. The Coyotes will finish 6th in the West and also make it to the WCF. My logic?

2006 6th seed - Anaheim, lost to 8th-seeded Edmonton, previous year 12th
2004 6th seed - Calgary, beat 2nd-seeded San Jose, previous year 12th
2003 6th seed - Minnesota, lost to 7th-seeded Anaheim, previous year 12th

Obviously there's some talent gaps between the 'yotes and those teams of the past, but you can't argue with trends! Look at the Red Wings playoff curse.

Shinobi

ForzaItalia said:
Hey Shinobi. Remember that Todd Gill giveaway there one season that officially knocked the Leafs out of the playoff run? Classic...:lol

Which giveaway? :lol

Man I always felt bad for Gill in his early years...he always tried hard but would always make one huge gaffe a week. But he cut that stuff down drastically towards the middle and end of his career and turned into a really solid defender for the Leafs.

Shinobi said:

Man I always felt bad for Gill in his early years...he always tried hard but would always make one huge gaffe a week. But he cut that stuff down drastically towards the middle and end of his career and turned into a really solid defender for the Leafs.

also the guy could really fight :p

dem

Mike Works said:
I posed this question earlier, but do you think Vyborny is going to stick on the top two lines? Of all people on this forum, YOU should know they have Anson Carter now.

Vyborny.. Carter... meh.. same thing.
Lupul and Hemsky are better than both.

Calder said:
Zherdev>Hemsky

no..
not right now anyway.

Barrage

Mike Works said:
. It's a little hard to match a great two front lines like that when their team is paying some scrub goalie pennies compared to an all star olympic 6.5+ million goalie.

I'm glad you finally came around on Turco, Mike.

Shinobi said:

I'd say it was in the late 80's and in classic (s)Norris division style, the Leafs even at under .500, still had a chance to make the playoffs. I remember Gill making a brutal turnover and the Hawks scoring as the Chicago Stadium fans went nuts and the Leafs missed the playoffs.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
eklund is reporting the leafs might send jeff o'neill down to the minors to free up cap space if he doesn't perform against detroit this weekend (wtf. is that even possible? o_O afaik his contract isn't 2-way)

DopeyFish said:
eklund is reporting the leafs might send jeff o'neill down to the minors to free up cap space if he doesn't perform against detroit this weekend (wtf. is that even possible? o_O afaik his contract isn't 2-way)

I'm liking Maurice even more if this true. "Camp Quinn" where pina coladas were served daily and where veterans lived a posh lifestyle after playing horrible hockey seems to be a thing of the past....

DopeyFish

ForzaItalia said:
I'm liking Maurice even more if this true. "Camp Quinn" where pina coladas were served daily and where veterans lived a posh lifestyle after playing horrible hockey seems to be a thing of the past....

well it's also JFJ doing it too

so players are paid millions to play, not be treated like royalty.

i'd say the leafs are either trying to sign leetch, bondra (bondra most likely of the two - considering our depth in defence) or going to do a trade with new jersey (gionta for prospects?)

DopeyFish said:
well it's also JFJ doing it too

so players are paid millions to play, not be treated like royalty.

i'd say the leafs are either trying to sign leetch, bondra (bondra most likely of the two - considering our depth in defence) or going to do a trade with new jersey (gionta for prospects?)

Leetch? Yea right

Bondra? He was good last year until his injury

Gionta? Are you on crack?? Maybe they want Suglobov back? :p

DopeyFish

BigJonsson said:
Leetch? Yea right

Bondra? He was good last year until his injury

Gionta? Are you on crack?? Maybe they want Suglobov back? :p

I'm not sure if you noticed, but the devils are in the same situation as last year... except they now have to pay mogilny his entire contract

DopeyFish said:
I'm not sure if you noticed, but the devils are in the same situation as last year... except they now have to pay mogilny his entire contract

I thought the ruling was still to come for that...

KilledByBill said:
Are you saying they were wearing different jerseys as of now when they raised their past Cups?

'Cause even in 1995 when they won their first Cup, they were wearing the same styled jerseys they have now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom