• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official XX Olympic Winter Games - Torino 2006 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Scarlet

Some breaking news thing on NBC that Michelle Kwan withdrew due to groin injuries.

At 5:30 AM EST (2 hours from this post) she'll be on NBC in an interview about it.

Interesting about Kwan. I guess we get to see the other Hughes sister. The one from 2002 wasn't too bad looking...although I saw her recently on a commercial promoting NYC and she doesn't look as good IMO.

Anyways...Cohen > All. The women on pairs skating tonight weren't very attractive at all either.

Peru

Shaun White not in the final after first quali round, pretty crazy. I think that finnish Antti will seal the deal in the finals later today.

Amir0x

Banned
Heh, SPOILERS for NBC Olympics tonight:
Bode Miller placed 5th in Men's Downhill. Sucks to be him, he was the frontrunner and had all that Olympics press.

Peru

Cross-country (ski) pursuit is always exciting, very much so today too, thrilling finish. Good show.

Bode got no medal, but
Shaun White destroyed in the snowboard final..

belgurdo

Banned
Y2Kevbug11 said:
I'm so sick of Bode this, Bode that. Guy talks like a 14 year old girl.

When I saw an issue of Time dedicated to him (or rather, dedicated to how OMG BODE LAID BACK GOLD MEDAL MAGNET XTREME he supposedly is), I wanted to punch him in the face

Peru

Ski-jumping is fine and dandy but I want ski-flying as an olympic sport.. There's NO reason not to.. It would bring in the biggest crowds, no doubt. Current world record, 239 meters..

Planica.jpg

hadareud

The Translator
I like Bode, he brings a bit of life into the skiing circus which would only consists of Austrian farmer boys otherwise.

I second the sky flying request, but it's not that easy to build a hill that large. There's a ski flying hill close to my old hometown in Austria btw.

BorkBork said:
1500m Speedskating:
Apollo is GONE!

I saw that over on the CBC (could it kill NBC to air things live? I can't believe people would rather watch NASCAR over the Olympics),
was he pushing another skater?
That's what CBC made it sound like.

edit: Nevermind,
he fell.

dem

Why the hell are we using spoiler tags? Spoiler tags on sports is dumb..

Apollo losing makes me smile

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
dem said:
Why the hell are we using spoiler tags? Spoiler tags on sports is dumb..
Because some of us don't want to know the results until we watch it on tape delay later :(

OMG Estil from Norway or wherever in the Cross Country Pursuit was fucking amazing. Holy shit.

And yes, please keep the spoiler tags unless it runs on NBC(which everything seems to be tape delayed).

Peru

ErasureAcer said:
OMG Estil from Norway or wherever in the Cross Country Pursuit was fucking amazing. Holy shit.

And yes, please keep the spoiler tags unless it runs on NBC(which everything seems to be tape delayed).
Yes, very impressive. He fell on the first leg and had to work his way up from last spot.. and on the final stretch he just shot like a canon through the field.

lol, Canada's Women's hockey team beat Russia 12 - 0. Not quite on par with their record setting 16 - 0 victory over Italy, but nice nonetheless. Now to take out Sweden. Becky Scott came in 6th, although she might be bumped up again if her opponents test positive for performance enhancing drugs after the Olympics again :).

achilles

WHY THE HELL IS NBC SO FCKING DRAMATIC

ldjslfjd

I just want to see the speed skating already. Even if it's not live cause I've got no choice =(
I hate this coverage.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
distantmantra said:
It was on last night. It will be on again tomorrow.

I know it was on last night, I watched. I was not pleased with NBC's disjointed coverage and the relative anonymity of the pairs. I want to see some big time ladies' excitement.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
P.S. What else is Ohno in? I just watched his first heat and he obviously looks really good. So, he's got to be in some other event, right?

Y2Kevbug11 said:
I know it was on last night, I watched. I was not pleased with NBC's disjointed coverage and the relative anonymity of the pairs. I want to see some big time ladies' excitement.

That doesn't start, until what, next Tuesday?

We get the men on Tuesday and Thursday, and then the ladies next Tuesday and Thursday.

While NBC's coverage has improved, it still can't compare to the CBC. Luckily we get that in Seattle.

P.S. What else is Ohno in? I just watched his first heat and he obviously looks really good. So, he's got to be in some other event, right?

Short Track Speed Skating, Men's 500 m
Short Track Speed Skating, Men's 1000 m
Short Track Speed Skating, Men's 1500 m
Short Track Speed Skating, Men's 5000 m Relay

AirBrian

Ugh, if NBC's NHL and Olympic coverage are any indication of what Men's Hockey will be like, I think I'll mute the TV and find my own soundtrack.

AirBrian said:
Ugh, if NBC's NHL and Olympic coverage are any indication of what Men's Hockey will be like, I think I'll mute the TV and find my own soundtrack.

I've been watching Women's hockey over on Universal HD, and it's been pretty good so far.

pxleyes

Banned
distantmantra said:
I've been watching Women's hockey over on Universal HD, and it's been pretty good so far.

IAWTP. I actually found the women's hockey extremely entertaining, which I did not expect.

dem

I only watched parts of the Canadian womens hockey games... but how anyone could find that entertaining is beyond me. Among the worst hockey I've ever watched..

dem said:
I only watched parts of the Canadian womens hockey games... but how anyone could find that entertaining is beyond me. Among the worst hockey I've ever watched..

Canada (nor the USA) has yet to face a real challenge. Sadly, we won't see a good women's hockey game until the US vs. Canada gold medal game.

belgurdo

Banned
achilles said:
WHY THE HELL IS NBC SO FCKING DRAMATIC

ldjslfjd

I just want to see the speed skating already. Even if it's not live cause I've got no choice =(
I hate this coverage.

NBC always has horrible Olympics coverage. With the Summer Olympics we get 16 hours a day of one-camera documentaries on every damn female gymnast that competes (sometimes a girl will get two or three of them if she's an American competitor that has injured herself/struggled in qualifications or is kicking ass.) With Winter, it's OMG [insert American/Canadian slalom skiier or figure skating couple]-THEY WILL DOMINATE" ad nauseum. It's like the other events don't matter

calder

dem said:
If you've ever been unbanned long enough to read the NHL thread in the past 5ish years, you know I really hate Michael Farber. But I'll say this - he's not always wrong.

I enjoy women's hockey, mainly for the inherent drama in a closely contested final, but there's no doubt it does not belong in the olympics until some other countries can play it at a competent level in comparison to the North American countries. I watch a fair bit of minor hockey, especially the xmas tourney season, with my dad and I'm used to watching the non-pro game (and really womens hockey is just like watching a couple of good rural A midget teams play). But when it's not US/Canada in the womens game it's just plain bad.

Teddman

NBC's coverage sucks. On the West Coast, things are often over 12 hours old when they're broadcast. There are big chunks of the day when none of the four NBC-affiliated networks are even showing Olympic material. That's ridiculous. NBC basically hordes everything noteworthy for the primetime broadcast and neglects the smaller events.

And that short track skating competition IS a crapshoot. All of the athletes in the B final had better times than those in the A final, and Ohno had a half-second faster time than the Gold medalist? Ridiculous. Either put'em on a straight track or just let them skate roller derby style, no disqualifications.

methodman

Banned
Teddman said:
NBC's coverage sucks. On the West Coast, things are often over 12 hours old when they're broadcast. There are big chunks of the day when none of the four NBC-affiliated networks are even showing Olympic material. That's ridiculous. NBC basically hordes everything noteworthy for the primetime broadcast and neglects the smaller events.

And that short track skating competition IS a crapshoot. All of the athletes in the B final had better times than those in the A final, and Ohno had a half-second faster time than the Gold medalist? Ridiculous. Either put'em on a straight track or just let them skate roller derby style, no disqualifications.
Yeah the short track is stupid as hell. They should just let the people race the timer instead or something.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Peru said:
Ski-jumping is fine and dandy but I want ski-flying as an olympic sport.. There's NO reason not to.. It would bring in the biggest crowds, no doubt. Current world record, 239 meters..
Planica is awesome. And it's only 30 km from me. 5 weeks and here we go again :D

But our jumpers are bad...one man in final round on medium hill. Disaster.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I like the short track. It's goofy in that wipeouts can make the worst guy get a gold (although look at today, the heavily-favored Korean won easily and got through three rounds no problem), but even with that, it's at least still a sport, which is more than can be said for some Olympic events- and even those I don't really mind that much, I've always loved the Olympics and my only qualification is that I don't like events that bore me (bobsled, ice dancing, etc.). Short track is both exciting to watch and requires great athletic skill, the only significant difference being the crash factor, but imo crash factor>>>>another speed skating, just on a shorter track.

Fuck ESPN.com though-I haven't checked it in days but I checked it this afternoon and they ruined what would have otherwise been a pretty fun turn of events to follow in the halfpipe. I understand that it's their job to report, but when you have the rare, rare situation where basically all the sports fans in the country that makes up 90% of your audience may want to actually watch the events unfold since they can't see them live, you should at least have a link people can click on to get results, or at the bare minimum not have a big-ass unavoidable picture of the medal winner. Ah well, I learned my lesson; fuck them and their shitty new layout anyway.

Peru

When USA beats reigning Olympic champions Norway, IMO they can go all the way to the top. Allthough, Norway made a number of poor plays, so I don't know.

Biathlon now.. one of the finest sports. You've got the power play and stamina of cross-country skiing combined with the nerve and precision of the shooting on the stand. It's all in the combo: you've gotta balance your skiing with the shooting, not enter the stands with too high a pulse.

Watch the 500 meter sprint on the long track today. It's short track style fast without the "luck" factor. It's awesome to see those Japanese skaters go at full speed. :)

Of course the Dutch must win. Ice skating is all that we have going for us. :lol

Amir0x

Banned
my goodness, NBC will not shut up about Michelle Kwan. This is like the tenth feature I've seen on her already. Yes, she will go down as one of the world's greatest... yes, it's a shame she didn't win Gold... but fuck, cover something else. Like the injury that just occured with the US Women's Downhill ski team!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom