• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okay. What the f*ck is going on with Wii U hard locks.

nasos_333

No. Not at all. RROD equaled a dead/broken system. This requires you to just unplug the system for a moment.

Personally i prefer a clear break down, than playing a game expecting to get stuck any moment, this is one of the reasons i have stopped gaming on PC and get all games on consoles (besides the few PC only ones i want)

A system that has random locks is just not working and is a faulty system

Plus RROD was covered for 3 years and did not happen from day one

Mine was locking quite often while playing Nintendo Land when I first got it, but since the second system update I haven't had one.

It is a new system and all new systems have bugs. I think the Wii U is going to struggle but I doubt that this will be the reason. (Unless it turns out to be a hardware issue.)

Personally i prefer a clear break down, than playing a game expecting to get stuck any moment, this is one of the reasons i have stopped gaming on PC and get all games on consoles (besides the few PC only ones i want)

The fuck?

Taurus

After reading the posts here, it seems buying a WiiU seems like the most crazy idea of all time, at least for the launch models and software

And this is way worst than the RROD on xbox, it seems like a nightmare to play a game expecting it to get stuck at any random point

In fact i would send back such a system and start shouting at the store :)
Holy shit! :lol

I had constant hard locks upon opening Nintendo Land during the 2nd week of the Wii U's availability, but they went away and since then I haven't had one hard lock at all.

I can understand how someone would think this is worse than the RROD fiasco because at least with that situation, MS would replace your console and then you had no more issues once it was replaced and could play your games without worrying about the freezing, but with this, those affected don't have a way for it to be fixed. It's not as ridiculous of a position as some of you are making it out to be.

You're wrong. Occasional hard locks trumps a completely fried console where AFAIK you were SOL if you were one of the initial victims. By all means, return the console for a replacement, I had similar problems with the original DS on launch day, but do realise that the RROD was an entirely different league of fail altogether.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised

yeah - it did , just not en masse.

My only "concern" (and it's not right now) if i was Nintendo is finding what is the cause of the issue : if it's just something in the OS that's causing an issue then that's obviously much less of a concern than if it's something overheating.

For me personally? I've had two hard locks and they were both in Youtube (but the software for it seems a little twitchy) - i've seen nothing in anything else (Nintendoland, Monster Hunter, Mario)

Emitan

It's not PC gaming's fault your PC is crap.

The RROD was the worst. It affected almost every 360 because it was endemic to the design - meaning when I sent mine back in, they sent me one back that RRODed again. This happened 4 times in a row and meant that I didn't have a system for a couple of months when it was all tallied up.

The Wii U has frozen once on me during ZombiU. I restarted and everything was fine. By comparison, games like the Elder Scrolls or Fallout would freakout on a regular basis, that was way worse.

The U is less trouble than systems like the original Playstation or the NES were, yet we all survived those just fine. This hard lock drama is just the usual forum vultures looking for something to catastrophize. Or in this case, people who haven't even spent time with the system at all.

After reading the posts here, it seems buying a WiiU seems like the most crazy idea of all time, at least for the launch models and software

And this is way worst than the RROD on xbox, it seems like a nightmare to play a game expecting it to get stuck at any random point

In fact i would send back such a system and start shouting at the store :)
This post is unnecessary.

I had constant hard locks upon opening Nintendo Land during the 2nd week of the Wii U's availability, but they went away and since then I haven't had one hard lock at all.

I can understand how someone would think this is worse than the RROD fiasco because at least with that situation, MS would replace your console and then you had no more issues once it was replaced and could play your games without worrying about the freezing, but with this, those affected don't have a way for it to be fixed. It's not as ridiculous of a position as some of you are making it out to be.
It's so sad. This is the new-age Nintendo seal of quality...hard locks, disc read errors, poor hardware. Shit hit the fan when Nintendo go a little too successful with DS and then Wii.

Pitmonkey

I'm getting hard locks too. As well, the external USB "disconnects" forcing a hard reset randomly almost every time I leave it plugged in.

I hate to say it, but I am regretting my day-one purchase at this point.

NFreak

lol, are you serious? Are you defending RRoD?

I had lock ups in Nintendo Land before the second update but it seems like that was due to miiverse software issues.

Dartastic

Anyone who prefers the red ring of death is a complete idiot. I had to send back 8 xbox consoles for repair because of that. EIGHT. Compared to pulling a power plug? Come on son.

nasos_333

lol, are you serious? Are you defending RRoD?

I had lock ups in Nintendo Land before the second update but it seems like that was due to miiverse software issues.

lol, i never defended RROD, just said that random locks is worst, for me at least

I could never start a game knowing it may get stuck at any point randomly

Anyone who prefers the red ring of death is a complete idiot. I had to send back 8 xbox consoles for repair because of that. EIGHT. Compared to pulling a power plug? Come on son.

I have my launch system, so i cant comment on that

Plus i dont see how you need to go through 8 systems, when each RROD is covered with 3 years guarantee

Even if each broke outside guarantee, you would need to go through 4 systems max

Pineconn

I've gotten quite a few freezes in Black Ops II, but that's because Treyarch is relatively incompetent when it comes to decent programming. (And how they shipped the game with broken Wiimote controls. And how the mid-December BO2 patch tried to fix the controls, but they clearly didn't even test it.)

Since the first Wii U patch I have had zero freezes elsewhere, luckily. Played a load of Nintendo Land, too, which was my main culprit. They're ironing the bugs out.

Plus i dont see how you need to go through 8 systems, when each RROD is covered with 3 years guarantee

Even if each broke outside guarantee, you would need to go through 4 systems max

Simple, if you send an Xbox for repairs, you don't get it back, they send a refurbished replacement instead.

Lucent

lol Yeah I just don't understand that. Plus at least there's something you can do about the Wii U's problem. Just keep it offline unless needed. Though it might be okay now. I only ever got lockups when going online. Whenever I was disconnected from a connection, I experienced no lock ups. Haven't had one after the update either.

They're not random. They're clearly online-related, and therefore not likely to be a hardware issue.

That is some serious revisionist history. After Microsoft wasted everyone's time and money for years, yes, they eventually caved in to the enormous backlash and extended the warranty for just that one specific problem (out of many). And RROD may not have happened day 1, but by the time mine died 8 months in, it was so common that it came as no surprise.

Personally i prefer a clear break down, than playing a game expecting to get stuck any moment

If you're implying that RROD was a one-time fail, one-time fix, you're revising history again. It was very normal to get lockups, graphical errors, or other symptoms for weeks before the final death.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
My only hard lock happened when I was playing a video on that app. Coincidence? I don't think so.

yeah, my only locks (2) came in the youtube app - actually, similarly, my PS3 out and out crashes when i try the youtube app on that.

weird.

Personally i prefer a clear break down, than playing a game expecting to get stuck any moment

I think this would be an only mildly crazy statement -if- the WiiU was hardlocking seemingly at random under a very short time span (like 1-2 hours) - because then , technically, the machine isn't broken - it's just going to screw with your progress over and over. So, in that case, then - yeah - if the machine broke but then you get a replacement and then you have a few years before your next breakdown then i can see the point.

At the moment, the locks aren't anywhere near that frequent though - so at the moment the statement reads like cuckoo-cuckoo.

My concern would be , as stated previously, if the locks are due to an hardware/build issue like with the X360. Out of every X360 own i know (and i'm talking, say, 50+ people at least) only one of them never had their machine RROD (my wife). I really don't want that sort of nonsense with any console ever again.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Just got the system, haven't updated yet.

Literally the first time I tried to access the System Settings, my Wii-U Tablet turned this weird green color and got all glitchy, and the system froze up. Uh, is this a "normal" hard-lock, or do I have another problem entirely?

JaseMath

In the 3 weeks I've owned it, I've had one lock. It was just after powering on the system...during boot up I guess.

Medalion

Banned
I really want to believe in this system, and I love Nintendo, but the system locks up even more now since the update... I don't even play this system that much or that long as much as I should, but on average I have a lock-up almost once each time I play it for longer than half an hour, and the freeze happens in ANYTHING I do, it is not isolated to a game or an app...

Nintendo really needs to do something major and not just think a patch is gonna fix everything.

B-Dex

I have had 3 lock-ups in sonic transformed now. (disc version) One was after i backed out to the title screen and switched back to the gamepad from pro controller. Another was after finishing a race in grand prix. The last was after an event in world tour mode. But everything else has been fine so far.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I have locks constently in Netflix, Nintendo Land, Sonic Racing and Scribblenauts. Probably once every 3 hours. Its insane. I can handle it for now assuming a patch is on the way, but I'm a little worried about it being launch hardware problems.

I've only had one hard lock so far, *knocks on wood* and it was during ZombiU but i think it was cause i sorta glitched it when i walked through a wall.

hard locks suck so much when you dont save :(

trinest

I only had one playing AC3, but it was in the same place etc. So I had to figure out how to pass the spot without it locking up.

I've experienced a few hard locks during Hulu streaming. Usually, it's been after long streaming sessions (several hours). I hope it get better and that we get an update soon that addresses that and also speeds up the OS.

Nevasleep

I agree with you, and my two RROD replacements were quick and free.

Mazzo

I've experienced a system freeze 2 times, once on the menu, and once on NSMBU. I've played it a lot though, so I can't call it a big problem. Yet.

Tmdean

Banned
I've only had one since getting the system at launch. For those who are getting it frequently, just curious: Is your internet connection or Wi-Fi network dodgy? Does the video stream stutter on the GamePad?

I think my lockup might have been related to network interference but I obviously can't draw any conclusions from just one occurrence.

If it is caused by a poor network connection, at least Nintendo would be able to fix it. The worst case scenario is that the lockups are a hardware issue.

personally, haven't gotten a hard lock sine the last update. I was getting the semi regular, usually after playing NBA 2k, but like i said, none in a while.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
No issues here and we've had ours on for like 6 hours straight some days.

Has anyone heard from Nintendo what is causing the issue?

cloudyy

Over 150 hours of use, constantly connected online and not a single hard lock. I had to modify the DNS IP to make my wifi work with the system though.

Respawn

Banned

Uhmm yes it did. It was covered up and denied for quite sometime.

Top Bottom