• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Only 3% of games shown at E3 keynotes featured exclusively female protagonists

Really?

50% of the world are women, 3% of games at E3 had female leads and you can't see whats wrong with it?

See, I keep seeing this and it's misleading.
It's 3%that have female only leads, while 49% of the games shown have either or both. Which is fantastic.
The female only percentage could and should be higher, but women being a main character in over half the games shown is still something to applauded.

velociraptor

Your avatar is so familiar. Yet I don't recall it being attached to a junior account. Weird.

Would you like me to explain the zelda/link thing? I believe I can do so in a way you could understand.
Yes, I was juniored a while back.

Sure, explain ahead though I'm not sure how you would convince me. I think it would be better if they gave us an original female character in set in the Zelda universe, rather giving us a female Link because 'reasons'. Catch my drift?

Yes, I was juniored a while back.

Sure, explain ahead though I'm not sure how you would convince me. I think it would be better if they gave us an original female character in set in the Zelda universe, rather giving us a female Link because 'reasons'. Catch my drift?

If you are of a mind that people want Link because "reasons," it suggests to me that you either did not make a solid effort as far as trying to understand those reasons, or you understood the reasons and chose to reject them.

See, I keep seeing this and it's misleading.
It's 3%that have female only leads, while 49% of the games shown have either or both. Which is fantastic.
The female only percentage could and should be higher, but women being a main character in over half the games shown is still something to applauded.

Acknowledging one very real issue is not akin to downplaying the gains in another area.

Kyoufu

3% is awfully low. Yikes.

I understand designing male protagonists as a creative decision, but the fact that we've heard from developers that they've been afraid/worried that their product would not sell as well if it has a female leading is incredibly frustrating that such fears exist in this industry. As someone who prefers playing as female characters in games whenever possible, I hope that % rises in the years to come.

And hopefully Horizon is a major success.

velociraptor

If you are of a mind that people want Link because "reasons," it suggests to me that you either did not make a solid effort as far as trying to understand those reasons, or you understood the reasons and chose to reject them.

Acknowledging one very real issue is not akin to downplaying the gains in another area.
Link is Link because he is Link. Look, I don't even like Zelda but if Link has always been a male character, then why should Link be suddenly be transformed into a female? Might as well as why Nathan Drake is a dude, or why Lara Croft is a girl. As I said, better to create an original character in the universe with their own story than to simply make one character a particular gender.

I don't know why I'm bothering, but...

Link is Link because he is Link. Look, I don't even like Zelda but if Link has always been a male character, then why should Link be suddenly be transformed into a female?

To date, there are at least ten different characters called Link, often with markedly different character traits. Making one of the reincarnations (optionally?) be a girl really wouldn't be that at odds with the history of the series. It would be more of the same, just a bit extra.

Jumplion

Yes, technically 49% are women, in that those games include choosing between male or female.

But that still points out that 90% of games include men, and only about 50% include women. Looking at exclusively male or female, we have 41% male to 3% female. I'm ambivalent towards the women being a part of the 50% male or female portion since it still shows that women are rarely put into major positions purposefully because of the fear that people (men) would feel uncomfortable being forced to play as something other than a white guy.

It's all well and good to say "See? Women are included in games!" when 50% are a result of a necessity (character creation), and it's still a vast overwhelming majority of male as default.

TsuWave

I'm of the opinion that female and minority protagonists shouldn't be shoehorned into a game. I prefer something natural as opposed to some contrivance meant to appeal to a vocal community. Just my opinion. If your game was made in mind with having a minority/female/transexual lead great, if it wasn't, don't alter your vision for the sake winning press or the respect of gamers.

the fact that "white male" protag is often seen as the default even from conception is a problem in itself, that is why "female and minority characters" often are put up against extra qualifiers like "something natural" or "don't be shoehorned"

killatopak

Gold Member
I don't know where they were looking but there were plenty of female leads in E3. Exclusively female or not should not have been a metric at all.

ameleco

I'm all for female characters in new franchises, myself. Extra options for character creations are always a good thing. That said, if a creator wants to create a game with a white male protagonist, I'm not going to call them out on it. That's their vision. Not every game needs a character where you play as "you" instead of someone else.

As for why more games don't feature a female character to play as, I have probably a dumb theory, but maybe it makes sense. Creators make what they know. The dev community being mostly male, of course they create male characters. They identify with them more. As for the money aspect of it, big publishers will make what sells. That is always how the world works. Yes it can be seen as unfair or whatever, but people like money so that won't likely change.

Lastly, as for established franchises such as Mario/Zelda, please don't make a female link. Linkle was really dumb. Just use Peach/Zelda if you want to make a game about them. I am just not a fan of changing a franchise's character that much because at that point, you may as well make the game part of a different franchise.

GoaThief

Would personally like to see an increase on that three percent or games where you can play as either.

I don't necessarily agree with the argument presented on the back of that though and the majority of games having the choice of both sexes or 'other'/na should be praised and taken into account. Shame this doesn't appear to be the case in the article and they havent (from what I've noticed) offered their methodology either.

Still, that this discussion is taking place is a good thing so Anita and Co can be thanked for that.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Who cares. Christ, I just want to enjoy my games without political correctness bleeding into them like everything else
Sometimes I swear I'm the only person who doesn't give 1 shit whether someone is male, female, black, white, yellow, gay, trans, christian, muslum, Buddhist,athiest etc

IDGAF

This goes for anything in life.

edit: I'm from Canada and we generally don't waste our time worrying about this stuff.

I did an analysis that shows that 0% of the games featured at E3 keynotes, at the 20 minute mark, featured a female protagonist!!!!
Who cares!? What was the percentage last years E3?
Did anyone give a shit back then? God the internet is getting so exhausting these days.
Agree that this is such a non issue.

If gamers (regardless of gender) are buying more games with female protagonist, developers will make more of them. No one except the market can force out more of certain type of products.
IMO there is no point 'shoe horning' female characters in games for the sake of having female characters.

Either give a well designed experience, or, don't give one at all. Good examples are the likes of Tomb Raider and Horizon. But I for one do not understand why there is a massive uproar over Link/Zelda.

I also do not understand the complaints of the lack of female soldiers in Battlefield 1.
People are so politically correct these days, it's hilarious.
These last few pages, holy damn. I would suggest going through this thread and reading some of the post that have already been made on this so you can get a better understanding of why this is an issue and why people care. "Political Correctness" and "Shoehorning" have nothing to do with anything and the usage of those terms implies your posts are informed by ignorance, be it willful or not.

@ People pointing at the ~50% games with gender choice and using that to argue that this issue is not as bad as it is or even non-existent:

I believe this has been addressed multiple times already in this thread, but I'll try and explain again. Yes, it's good that there are a lot of games where you are given a choice. Sure, that is something you can be happy about and something that can be applauded. It does however not diminish or negate the importance of the issue this thread is about. It is not relevant to this discussion as in practice most of these games actually feature a 'genderless' character with the gender-toggle being pretty much being cosmetic only. It does not negate that there are so few female-led games. It does not change that there appears to be a bizarre mentality that a videogame character should be a white straight male by default and that anything deviating from that is considered "shoehorning" or "only ok when they are written well".

Now sure, there are specific reasons why things exist like they are now. The notion that female-led games somehow don't sell ( which is false ). The fact that most game developers / designers are male and thus default to male characters because that is what they know ( which is presumably perpetuated by primarily male executives and male-focused focus-testing ). The notion that male players make up an overwhelming majority of the playerbase ( something that I believe was proven false earlier in this thread ). Etc. Etc. I get it. We know there are reasons why things are the way they are now. None of that changes or diminishes the fact that the issue exists. It does not mean that this is not an issue worth fighting for. It does not mean that we should not be vocal in wanting change.

I also see some people bring up how they feel like FemFreq 'cherrypicked' or how they deliberately set up strict guidelines to manipulate results or things like that. I do not see how this is relevant at all. I do not feel it is 'cherrypicking' at all to make this about strictly the public-facing part of E3. Maybe you could argue that certain games should be included that weren't due to the restrictions. Specifically maybe Gravity Rush 2 ( Female Main ) and Dishonored 2 ( Male / Female choice with both being fully written characters on their own and Female lead being at the front of marketing ). I get that. I can see that. I do not see however how that would significantly diminish the importance or gravity of the issue they are attempting to discuss. Even with adding those games, the issue is still there. It does not become 'less bad' or less important. People claiming that this issue is smaller or less important than it is through trying to discredit FemFreq are definitely barking up the wrong tree.

@ The people specifically bringing up the Zelda / Link discussion:

If you do not understand why the Zelda / Link discussion exists at all or if you are of the opinion that Link 'has always been a boy and thus should not change', I suggest going into one of the threads specifically about the Zelda / Link discussion and reading through some of the posts made there. There are a bunch of reasons Link specifically is being discussed, and most of those reasons did not pop up out of nowhere. It mostly revolves around Link being seen by many not as a character but as an avatar. This did not suddenly appear out of nowhere this E3. The reason why there is so much discussion about it now specifically is because Aonuma made two specific comments that a lot of people found ignorant or unsatisfying. Again, I would urge you to go to those threads, read up, and perhaps join the discussion there if you feel like you have something worth saying on the issue.

Hypron

I also see some people bring up how they feel like FemFreq 'cherrypicked' or how they deliberately set up strict guidelines to manipulate results or things like that. I do not see how this is relevant at all. I do not feel it is 'cherrypicking' at all to make this about strictly the public-facing part of E3. Maybe you could argue that certain games should be included that weren't due to the restrictions. Specifically maybe Gravity Rush 2 ( Female Main ) and Dishonored 2 ( Male / Female choice with both being fully written characters on their own and Female lead being at the front of marketing ). I get that. I can see that. I do not see however how that would significantly diminish the importance or gravity of the issue they are attempting to discuss. Even with adding those games, the issue is still there. It does not become 'less bad' or less important. People claiming that this issue is smaller or less important than it is through trying to discredit FemFreq are definitely barking up the wrong tree.

Totally agree. We're not talking about a difference of a few percent here.

There's a 14-fold difference (1,400%!) between the number of games with exclusive male leads and female leads. Whether you believe they missed one or two games either way might change this figure a little bit, but the difference is so ridiculously massive to begin with that it's still an issue.

Because what people are doing right now is saying "hold on a minute, you forgot those two games. It's not a 14-fold difference, it's a 12-fold difference, which means there's absolutely no issue with the way things are. Let's keep everything as it is".

Shiggy

These last few pages, holy damn. I would suggest going through this thread and reading some of the post that have already been made on this so you can get a better understanding of why this is an issue and why people care. "Political Correctness" and "Shoehorning" have nothing to do with anything and the usage of those terms implies your posts are informed by ignorance, be it willful or not.

@ People pointing at the ~50% games with gender choice and using that to argue that this issue is not as bad as it is or even non-existent:

I believe this has been addressed multiple times already in this thread, but I'll try and explain again. Yes, it's good that there are a lot of games where you are given a choice. Sure, that is something you can be happy about and something that can be applauded. It does however not diminish or negate the importance of the issue this thread is about. It is not relevant to this discussion as in practice most of these games actually feature a 'genderless' character with the gender-toggle being pretty much being cosmetic only. It does not negate that there are so few female-led games. It does not change that there appears to be a bizarre mentality that a videogame character should be a white straight male by default and that anything deviating from that is considered "shoehorning" or "only ok when they are written well".

Now sure, there are specific reasons why things exist like they are now. The notion that female-led games somehow don't sell ( which is false ). The fact that most game developers / designers are male and thus default to male characters because that is what they know ( which is presumably perpetuated by primarily male executives and male-focused focus-testing ). The notion that male players make up an overwhelming majority of the playerbase ( something that I believe was proven false earlier in this thread ). Etc. Etc. I get it. We know there are reasons why things are the way they are now. None of that changes or diminishes the fact that the issue exists. It does not mean that this is not an issue worth fighting for. It does not mean that we should not be vocal in wanting change.

Do you personally see the issue in that only 49% give you the choice, while 44% don't let you choose, or that only 3% feature exclusively female protagonists? The thread focusses on the latter, and I believe just by flipping percentages towards one group or another, it's not gonna help anyone. Then you will suddenly have a group appear, clamouring for diversity and inclusion of male characters.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Do you personally see the issue in that only 49% give you the choice, while 44% don't let you choose, or that only 3% feature exclusively female protagonists? The thread focusses on the latter, and I believe just by flipping percentages towards one group or another, it's not gonna help anyone. Then you will suddenly have a group appear, clamouring for diversity and inclusion of male characters.
The issue being discussed is that only 3% feature exclusively female protagonists. I thought I was pretty clear on that. Not to offend you, but I do not think the line of reasoning you present here is something worth discussing as it is essentially a version of the slippery slope fallacy. Nobody wants to 'flip' the percentages. Nobody wants to change this to only 3% of games starring exclusively male protagonists. This is simply a call for more diversity and for more accurate representation of all kinds.

Shiggy

The issue being discussed is that only 3% feature exclusively female protagonists. I thought I was pretty clear on that. Not to offend you, but I do not think the line of reasoning you present here is something worth discussing as it is essentially a version of the slippery slope fallacy. Nobody wants to 'flip' the percentages. Nobody wants to change this to only 3% of games starring exclusively male protagonists. This is simply a call for more diversity and for more accurate representation of all kinds.

That's a great cause and I repeatedly said I support it, even though I also admit that simply putting in female reskins (what others refer to as "shoehorning" I suppose) is not as good as creating games specifically with a female character in mind from the start of development.

This entire discussion is not something that should be limited to percentages or quotas. We can have 100 games starring characters such as Lara Croft, replacing white males, thus changing the percentages. I don't think that's what anybody wants. The entire diversity discussion needs to leave this simple-minded level.

Concerning your assumption that it's a slippery slope argument, both history and present events indicate that it is not. If a group only cares about its own well-being and is increasing its power, that has typically led to revenge and opposition. That's why I strongly believe that the diversity debate that some people follow is too one-sided, as diversity is beneficial to us all - both in daily life and in gaming.

woopWOOP

Would Yooka Laylee be N/A?

You know, with them being goofy animal creatures and all.
Also you control both at the same time. Who's the true protagonist??

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Oh Lord.

Who gives a shit? Things like this undermine the importance and legitimacy of feminism.
Oh Lord. [ obviously inappropriate comment ]. My patience is running really thin with people like you coming in and shitting up the thread. Either read through the various posts made on why this is an issue and then join in with the discussion explaining your opinions on the matter or just keep away from the thread.
That's a great cause and I repeatedly said I support it, even though I also admit that simply putting in female reskins (what others refer to as "shoehorning" I suppose) is not as good as creating games specifically with a female character in mind from the start of development.

This entire discussion is not something that should be limited to percentages or quotas. We can have 100 games starring characters such as Lara Croft, replacing white males, thus changing the percentages. I don't think that's what anybody wants. The entire diversity discussion needs to leave this simple-minded level.
Good to hear that you are also for more diversity in games. Though I believe that most of the people bringing up 'shoehorning' are referring to how they believe that any minority character put in a game should live up to higher standards than non-minority characters. As in they believe that minority characters should live up to higher standards of writing to 'justify' their inclusion. I think that viewpoint is indicative of ignorance on diversity issues. I don't take much issue with what you say though, and it sort of mirrors what I already said with skins / cosmetics / gender toggle not being a replacement for actual female characters.

As for the percentage part; I agree that looking at this as strictly percentages and demanding a certain percentage quota is not the right way to go. I don't think anyone here really looks at it like that though. I don't see people calling for a quota to be put in place. Despite that though, I see these percentages as having value in this discussion simply because they are an effective means to illustrating the problem. That is why I refer to them in my post; to illustrate the problem, not to put an arbitrary quota on diversity. The percentages are an illustration of the problem, not the solution to the problem.
Concerning your assumption that it's a slippery slope argument, both history and present events indicate that it is not. If a group only cares about its own well-being and is increasing its power, that has typically led to revenge and opposition. That's why I strongly believe that the diversity debate that some people follow is too one-sided, as diversity is beneficial to us all - both in daily life and in gaming.
I'll respectfully disagree and point to Gay marriage legalization in the US. People said similar things about that and we have yet to see a public push for public acceptance of things like polygamous relationships. Aside from that; even if you are right, I do not think it is a bad things for more groups to wish to be represented in games.

Kyoufu

Oh Lord.

Who gives a shit? Things like this undermine the importance and legitimacy of feminism.

I love these "who gives a shit" responses. I'm not a feminist but I actually do give a shit. I want variety in video games not the same generic space marine protagonist in every game.

Xtars

I think that the big news here isn't that there are x amount of exclusive female protagonists but that there are 59% that isn't male only. That is a big step forward and I really like that there are a lot of games that now lets you choose what to play as well.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Oh Lord.

Yeah I can tell you're really worried about importance and legitimacy of feminism.

Did you even bother to read anything in this thread?

Things won't change much until either women start forming their own studios and companies or women become an influential part of the E3 target market. At the moment I'm guessing that it's mostly 18-35 yo males who make up the bulk of the console/PC consumers.

I really think Anita Sarkeesian could make more of an impact by forming her own studio and making a successful video game IP with a female lead instead of depending on men to lead the way.

Angel_DvA

But you can choose the gender in the majority of them so it's ok for me, to be honest, I don't really care if I'm playing a male or female but If I have a choice, I'll go with the male gender 99% of the time.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Things won't change much until either women start forming their own studios and companies or women become an influential part of the E3 target market. At the moment I'm guessing that it's mostly 18-35 yo males who make up the bulk of the console/PC consumers.

I really think Anita Sarkeesian could make more of an impact by forming her own studio and making a successful video game IP with a female lead instead of depending on men to lead the way.

But she is neither a game developer nor a game designer, and she never pretended to be. She's a feminist and media blogger, and she already did more of an impact on the gaming industry than pretty much every other feminist media blogger (and many, many game studios) before her.

But you can choose the gender in the majority of them so it's ok for me, to be honest, I don't really care if I'm playing a male or female but If I have a choice, I'll go with the male gender 99% of the time.

That's great and all, but this topic is neither about the option to choose a gender in games nor your personal choice of playing male or female.

She's already making a huge impact as a blogger and media critic, so that would be redundant.

Edit to add: Should all reviewers or commenters with negative opinions consider it pointless to express those opinions unless they're willing to join the games industry and make their own games? Or is it just feminist critique that this applies to?

El Topo

I think that the big news here isn't that there are x amount of exclusive female protagonists but that there are 59% that isn't male only. That is a big step forward and I really like that there are a lot of games that now lets you choose what to play as well.

If we only look at games that don't feature an exclusively male protagonist, then it is a step backwards (68->59) compared to last year. Although in all fairness I did not look up the numbers from previous years, so compared to a few years ago it certainly *could* be a step forward. It feels that it has gotten better compared to maybe the early 00s, but then I'd rather have actual data. There is also something to be said that a YOY comparison is not necessarily optimal for this kind of analysis.

3% is more than the amount of exclusively black protagonists. So perhaps they should just be happy that there is female representation at all. At least it's at the point that when a female protagonist is revealed, not too many people freak out (I've never had an issue with female protagonists). But the amount of toxic comments about race that drop as soon as a black protagonist is revealed is absurd. Lincoln Clay (Mafia III) and Marcus Holloway (Watch Dogs 2) are the freshest examples.

El Topo

3% is more than the amount of exclusively black protagonists.

Well, one game (WD2) compared to two games(HZD,RC), I think. The situation is downright dreadful if you ask for black women as protagonists. But yeah, the situation surrounding non-Caucasian ethnicities looks pretty dire as well.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Well, one game (WD2) compared to two games(HZD,RC), I think. The situation is downright dreadful if you ask for black women as protagonists.

FIFA also stars a black protagonist, if I'm not mistaken. (And yeah, it IS a huge thing in Euroland.)

El Topo

FIFA also stars a black protagonist, if I'm not mistaken. (And yeah, it IS a huge thing in Euroland.)

I deliberately did not count games with a strong multiplayer focus, such as FIFA or BF1. Not even sure if the latter has an exclusively black protagonist, it certainly wasn't shown at their conference (I think).

That said, as I wrote earlier, I think a thread about ethnicities would be interesting as well. If I'm not mistaken, the following big games shown at conferences had an exclusively non-Caucasian protagonist:
Watch Dogs 2
The Last Guardian

There are also games that have a singleplayer campaign with a non-Caucasian protagonist:
FIFA 17
BF1 - I'm not sure on this one; someone help me out here

Last but not least, there is also the infamous anime discussion, e.g. whether Link as a Hyrulian counts as Asian or Caucasian. I also did not bother to watch the conferences again, so some (smaller) games may have slipped my mind.

eso76

I think the bigger issue is not main character's genre.
It's game design. Most games are designed to pander to typically male instincts, attaching a female lead to those wouldn't drastically improve things.
That's not to say girls can't enjoy the same games, but it's generally guys who like playing with toy soldiers and not entirely by cultural heritage.

Lime

Do people even read anything beyond the OP or perhaps stop to reflect on what they are posting and what that says about them?

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
who cares if it is a male or female lead in games.
Read the thread. Read the many posts outlining why this is an issue and why people care. Read the discussion that has already taken place regarding some of the counterpoints that people brought up - including the 'what does it matter' you bring up. Read all that and reflect on your opinion. If you think you have something to say or add to the discussion, make a post explaining your stance on the issue.

Don't just come into this thread to dismiss several pages of discussion with an ignorant throw-away line.

All four minority group need promotion.

1. Women
2. Visible Minority
3. People with disabilities
4. Aboriginal

Let us see how that works out.how many games have we seen with people with disabilities and natives? Surely there are many stories to tell.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
All four minority group need promotion.

1. Women
2. Visible Minority
3. People with disabilities
4. Aboriginal

Let us see how that works out.how many games have we seen with people with disabilities and natives? Surely there are many stories to tell.

Surely, but those aren't the point of discussion in this thread.

Top Bottom