• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oprah said fuck it and went to the bank to cash a million dollar check for fun

ascii42

Even I don't really have many reasons to go to the bank. I occasionally go to ATMs because some places around me still only accept cash for
tax evasion
reasons, but other than that, what would you need to go to the bank for?
Last time I went to one was to exchange currency.

sarcastor

Okay, now I want to know how they do stuff. They don't have an ATM number? They just never use cash? I guess they have assistants who buy all their shit for them anyway...but how does it all work? They just have financial people who pay for everything and they never think about it?

Do you think they have credit cards, even? I guess it's possible that they literally never touch money or any kind of payment method in their lives. They just walk around and do whatever they want and other people take care of the details.

you have financial advisors and other people to watch your money. Have you not seen Entourage ever?

Oprah is worth $3 billion dollars. She doesn't do her own taxes. She does't balance her checkbooks. She probably gets credit cards and just buys shit. Or tells her people buy shit. Why would she need to go to a bank?

Allforce

Okay, now I want to know how they do stuff. They don't have an ATM number? They just never use cash? I guess they have assistants who buy all their shit for them anyway...but how does it all work? They just have financial people who pay for everything and they never think about it?

Do you think they have credit cards, even? I guess it's possible that they literally never touch money or any kind of payment method in their lives. They just walk around and do whatever they want and other people take care of the details.

When you're this rich most people would just have a safe in their home with a good amount of cash on hand in it at all times. Oprah doesn't have to use an ATM to get a 20 out.

Also credit cards you've never even heard of with ridiculous limits. I think Sam Simon from the Simpsons had a AMEX with a 1 million dollar limit on it at one point, he talked about it on Stern.

Some Nobody

What does the bank even DO if you deposit a two million dollar check? Play with some numbers in the computer and say "Yeah sure, you got it?" before writing a deposit slip? You can't actually cash it, so I feel like it's meaningless lol.

gdt

I was reading this article/interview on Future (the rapper) recently. Seemed like a smart enough guy.

Anyway him and the writer go out for the day and they are shopping somewhere and Future is buying a $4000 purse for a chick and he tries to pay with a credit card and it gets declined. He then pulls out an insane wad of cash and just pays with that.

A lot of rich people can have limits on a card or bad credit lol.

But Oprah has financial management that takes care of all that.

Ivan 3414

Oprah literally grew up dirt poor and you think it's insensitive that she's joking about now being rich?

Plenty of the elite grew up poor. That still doesn't make them endearing when they flaunt their wealth.

Anyone else joking about how wonderful it is to deposit a million dollar check because they're too rich to go to banks, I'd think less of them. Oprah gets a pass only because she's been so charitable during her career

sangreal

I'm not rich and I have only been to a teller once since the 90s and that was to get a signup bonus. They use cards like everyone else

Plenty of the elite grew up poor. That still doesn't make them endearing when they flaunt their wealth.

Anyone else joking about how wonderful it is to deposit a million dollar check because they're too rich to go to banks, I'd think less of them. Oprah gets a pass only because she's been so charitable during her career

Gee how modest of you to judge her for just bringing entertainment to people. I'm sure you're quite the upstanding citizen.

Ploid 3.0

LOL do you see the moron in office now?

I believe if she really wanted it, she could take it. There would be a lot of stress and work involved along the way though. Black, and a woman, but she's a well known house hold name. There's no way she'd want that though. She already has power, it would be better to just support a candidate again.

erawsd

We all know Oprah is rich as fuck, there's no need for her to downplay it just to make the rest of us feel better about what we don't have.

i don't think a week's gone by since 2004 that Oprah hasn't collected some form of Per Diem just for being somewhere. She could probably expense her whole life to some production apparatus or another, just have her doges submit the receiippptttssss--

We all know Oprah is rich as fuck, there's no need for her to downplay it just to make the rest of us feel better about what we don't have.

Jesus Christ people are salty as fuck. If someone having fun with the money that they earned makes you feel that way, you have issues.

They'd never deal in cash. They'd have lines of credit anywhere they need to (either at the store level if this were actually a retail purchase, or high level credit cards), assistants would charge whatever they needed and accountants would take care of making sure the bills are properly paid when they need to be. It's something they'd never have to be concerned about as long as they trusted the people handling their money.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I was reading this article/interview on Future (the rapper) recently. Seemed like a smart enough guy.

Anyway him and the writer go out for the day and they are shopping somewhere and Future is buying a $4000 purse for a chick and he tries to pay with a credit card and it gets declined. He then pulls out an insane wad of cash and just pays with that.

A lot of rich people can have limits on a card or bad credit lol.

But Oprah has financial management that takes care of all that.

Yea, no need for a debit card with that kind of cash... you just do everything on a platinum card and then your people pay it off each month.

Cashing a $1,000,000 personal check "for fun" is the definition of being an ass about it.
It was 2 million so it isn't

If you would even need cash you'd call someone up and they would get it and the way to bring it to you. I'm sure she even got someone to write the check she used for her as well

Hermii

If I had a million in cash on me and a few more billion in the bank, the first homeless person I walked by would have his/ hers lucky day.

nkarafo

This sum is probably nothing for her but imagine how many people's lives she could change with it. That's something that always bugs me about ridiculously rich people.

Nictel

18oprah_span.jpg

So this is how I buy bitcoin?

Cyframe

If I had Oprah's money or anyone here had Oprah's money, you wouldn't be going to the bank either. When you reach a certain level of celebrity, it can be a hassle to do things you used to do before the fame. People are nuts.

I also remember quite a few times Oprah had an issue when it came to buying items. One time she was in Italy or something and buying a bag for her friend's daughter and they wouldn't sell it to her. Another time she wanted to buy a bag for herself and was told it's too expensive for her. So, she's constantly reminded that regardless how much she has, she'll always be Black.

Top Bottom