• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 46, 2014

Thats strange, maybe current XB1 install base is more "casually" getting their Fifa and COD every year while PS4 install base (obviously bigger) has more "hardcore" gamers buying more RPGs and other not so popular genres.

Aren't there Xbox One bundles for CoD and Fifa, which count as a sale for the game? I don't remember seeing a Dragon Age bundle for any console, so the most popular console wins for that game.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Based on WOW changes in this week's PR and BrunoMB's math

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare - 107,474 / 1,081,634 (-41%)
FIFA 15 - 83,346 / 1,966,097 (+25%)

Quentyn

Splits for GTA V

Sales for the upgraded sandbox were split 58 per cent on PS4 and 41 per cent on Xbox One. The remaining 1 per cent were on Xbox 360.

http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/gta_5...gta_5_is_the_uks_no_1_ahead_of_far_cry_4.html

And Far Cry 4

Sales were highest on PS4 with Sony's console taking 49 per cent of Far Cry 4's week one sales. 30 per cent were sold on Xbox One and 11 per cent on Xbox 360. 6 per cent, meanwhile, were on PS3.

http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/far_c...astest-selling_game_in_the_series_so_far.html

Bundling it so heavily on X1 seems to have paid off.

Could you even buy an X1 console without getting GTA5 with it?

Sales were highest on PS4 with Sony's console taking 49 per cent of Far Cry 4's week one sales. 30 per cent were sold on Xbox One and 11 per cent on Xbox 360. 6 per cent, meanwhile, were on PS3.

That's about right. Splits for DA?

yeah split seems right for bigger install base of ps4.

I imagine the FC4 PS4 bundle helped to make the split wider.

Still, that is about what I'd expect considering the PS4 should be around 1.5m to the recently achieved 1m on X1.

Yeah. For the past few weeks amazon really have dropped the ball in regards to bundles. For both consoles, their offers have been pretty poor.

Its no wonder neither seems to be selling amazingly in the hourly charts.

GAME literally came out of nowhere in offering some of the most competitive bundles, which is really surprising as you'd expect them to be the worst...

Looks like Amazon have an X1 bundle coming up via their black Friday week.

Xando

It is a fairly popular series relatively speaking, but doesn't seem like one that will sell massive amounts on launch like most big 'triple-A' franchises. I expect it will be slower and steadier than most of its peers.

I expect LBP to have a big christmas. Its probably the ultimate game i would buy for my kids.

Hasney

I expect LBP to have a big christmas. Its probably the ultimate game i would buy for my kids.

Probably be in a couple of bundles by then too, no doubt.

It'll have legs, but I'd be pleasantly surprised if it did gangbusters in next weeks chart.

Xater

Hehehe.

Seriously though, I wonder why those games specifically have such a wide difference in sales. TEW picked up slightly after a couple of weeks on X1 (I think that was mainly thanks to bundling), but it's really strange how other games are pretty close and then you have such a wide gap for the most random of games...

I'm going to say that's the difference of the bigger install base. If the game is not as mainstream as a COD the difference will be bigger due to the bigger base.

It is a fairly popular series relatively speaking, but doesn't seem like one that will sell massive amounts on launch like most big 'triple-A' franchises. I expect it will be slower and steadier than most of its peers.

LBP3 isnt released here yet. 28th of Nov.

Not to mention it has a disgusting price. 47 quid? Piss off.

kadotsu

Banned

As much as I love LBP it is a bundle fodder game. I expect a LBP bundle once Sony drops the price for the first time. The game will still make money through DLC. It'll probably barely break the top 10 next week.

dolemite

Should've been a great Jan/Feb release. Right now Sony is sending the game to die against a line-up of multiplat blockbusters.

I'm going to say that's the difference of the bigger install base. If the game is not as mainstream as a COD the difference will be bigger due to the bigger base.

Yeah, I expect that's probably it.

Still, I'm pretty sure it was primarily marketed on X1, so it's surprising to see such a big gap between the two. The FC4 split makes sense when you factor in the heavy PS4 marketing and bundling, but DA seems to have failed to make any kind of impact on X1.

gtj1092

Can someone in the UK explain how retailers make money if they bundle so many games. Are the games just so overpriced that even giving the discount with the bundles they make a profit.

Can someone in the UK explain how retailers make money if they bundle so many games. Are the games just so overpriced that even giving the discount with the bundles they make a profit.

Id imagine they get a kickback from the console manufacturer for certain amount of consoles sold and it covers any loss in revenue. Remember stores make very little profit from games anyway.

Some of the really insane bundles are probably manufacturer subsidized and others are to stay competitive against supermarkets who use consoles/games as loss leaders to get people into the stores.

gtj1092

Thanks for the replies. I can see if they were bundling old games but brand new ones just seems crazy when people are going to buy them first week anyway. We never get deals like that in the US and when we do its one day a year and called Black Friday lol.

You're talking about soft bundles that the retailer has put together (rather than the hard bundles like the XBO Titanfall pack)?

In the soft bundle cases, I've done deals in the past to sell in the game to retailer at a lower price in order to be part of those bundles. Retailer won't be making a loss on the software, it's generally publisher funded and those unit sales can help boost the overall chart position

Ok that makes sense. Yeah was talking about retailer bundles. Does selling the software at a lower price to the retailer for the bundles get you more sales overall or do you offer the deals to compete with other distributers?

You're talking about soft bundles that the retailer has put together (rather than the hard bundles like the XBO Titanfall pack)?

In the soft bundle cases, I've done deals in the past to sell in the game to retailer at a lower price in order to be part of those bundles. Retailer won't be making a loss on the software, it's generally publisher funded and those unit sales can help boost the overall chart position

Still, I'm pretty sure it was primarily marketed on X1, so it's surprising to see such a big gap between the two. The FC4 split makes sense when you factor in the heavy PS4 marketing and bundling, but DA seems to have failed to make any kind of impact on X1.

Maybe I'm completely fucking wrong, but DA:I felt a lot like Shadow of Mordor, in the sense that both games had exclusive marketing, but were pretty low-key ( like their B-tier efforts ) and thus made no real platform shifts.

I mean, compared to say CoD or ACU, DAI marketing on the Xbox-pushing front felt tamer.

Quentyn

Totally forgot that Watch Dogs came out for the Wii U last week. Checked the Wii U chart and it is on the 14th place, one place behind FIFA 13.

Xando

Would be interested to see splits with PC digital. If i remember right PC sales were quit high (XB1 level) for Ubisoft.

edit:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=136630045&postcount=5

Maybe I'm completely fucking wrong, but DA:I felt a lot like Shadow of Mordor, in the sense that both games had exclusive marketing, but were pretty low-key ( like their B-tier efforts ) and thus made no real platform shifts.

I mean, compared to say CoD or ACU, DAI marketing on the Xbox-pushing front felt tamer.

I don't think that's wrong, I'd agree with it.

I only really saw a couple of ads compared to the dozens for Sunset, Horizon 2, MCC, CoD, Ass Creed.

Would be interested to see splits with PC digital. If i remember right PC sales were quit high (XB1 level) for Ubisoft.

That's damn impressive.

Really? That's a pretty major difference from last gen where Bioware games were always significantly loaded in favour of Xbox.

Don't know about Dragon Age, but Mass Effect naturally leaned in favour of Xbox.

After all, ME1 was exclusive for a hell of a long time, and ME2 was timed-exclusive.

Not sure why MS took on DA. They had so many game to promote with exclusive advertising anyways that it looked as though DA took a back seat. And it's showed.

Kikujiro

Really? That's a pretty major difference from last gen where Bioware games were always significantly loaded in favour of Xbox.

Bioware games have been associated with the Microsoft console since the first XBox, so it's a pretty big difference. Is the game part of the EA digital program?

Percy

Banned
Don't know about Dragon Age, but Mass Effect naturally leaned in favour of Xbox.

After all, ME1 was exclusive for a hell of a long time, and ME2 was timed-exclusive.

Dragon Age definitely did also. I admit I didn't really pay as close attention to the second game's sales, but I can definitely remember Origins being particularly heavily skewed towards 360 when it first came out.

Though I can vaguely recall there was some fuck up with the initial PS3 release or something... maybe that could have been a factor there, I dunno... Inquisition is definitely the first time a Bioware title on consoles hasn't seen the Xbox version come out on top.

Not sure why MS took on DA. They had so many game to promote with exclusive advertising anyways that it looked as though DA took a back seat. And it's showed.

Witcher 3 and Evolve ( both also MS marketing partners ) were also originally supposed to be released this fall.

MS took on a lot this fall.

Top Bottom