• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Patrick Klepek: Sony possibly looking at increasing Neo specs due to Scorpio

He's from giant bomb? And he's saying that Sony are going to up their try and up specs for a launch before the end of this year because they are scared of Scorpio? A unit that wont be out until late next year?

Whatever they were thinking has likely been done by now. I mean using a 6 month or older spec sheet as gospel never made sense. And you pretty much ignored thst Osiris said they seemed to be leaning towards the more expensive of 2 options.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Well, he WAS at GB, but I think by the time the cat is out of the bag he left GB for a long time already.

Oh wait, this is a rhetorical question is it.

Kind of yes, but my point is, this kind of information is very sketchy to me. GB was the one who leaked the info on NEO, people may 'corroborate' but i don't generally trust individual journos sources over putting an entire site's cred on the line

Lucreto

Wont this give ms time to boost there specs?

They will have a higher spec anyway. It depends on what strategy they are pursuing. They might be going at high priced tech now hoping the price will come down before next year.

If Sony increase the spec Microsoft might not be able to the same as they already invested in the tech.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Whatever they were thinking has likely been done by now. I mean using a 6 month or older spec sheet as gospel neve made sense.

Well that's what i'm questioning, because Scorpio was only officially announced last month. I sincerely doubt Sony would be scrambling or panicking over a nonexistant piece of hardware coming out next year with their own plans they've probably had for atleast a year or more.

thelastword

Banned
They could always delay neo to march 17
NEO was never announced how could they delay it? It so crazy seeing all the people say that Neo can't get a solid upgrade from rumoured/non-final specs, and say the best they can do now, is to go the route of the measly clock upgrades MS did with the XB1 to save face, which still wasn't enough, since they had to drop kinnect and make further adjustments/allotments for devs even after.

MS had a shorter space of time to improve clocks. Sony had/has all the time in the world to rethink form factor, cooling solutions etc for the NEO as I'm pretty sure a console with a better CPU was always on the cards for them as well, they have always been considering and weighing between more than one spec.

This 6TF people keep talking about relative to scorpio is based on the same GPU architecture as the one in NEO, just clocked higher, so If Sony is able to boost clocks close enough to a reference polaris 10, it's pretty much moot. Even if they can get to 5.5TF that will be more than fine, the biggest win for Sony is if they opted for the better CPU setup 1 year ahead, I think that would be great and a winner right there. Just add in 4GB's of ram and I think they're golden.

So my take is this.

CPU: Zen Lite, 4 Physical cores, 8 threads at 2.6GHz

GPU: Polaris 10 upclocked closer to reference at 5.5-5.8TF

RAM/VRAM: 12 GB's GDDR5....8GB for devs, 4GB for the OS, A further 1-2GB can be made available to devs from the OS allocation since OS expectations/gauging is pretty much on lock right now.

To be honest I don't even think Sony should be worrying about this. Even if those leaked specs are true it really is not the end of the world. Look at the exclusives for the PS4 already, look at what some first party devs manage to create with the hardware. So imagine Neo. Of course for multiplats MS would have the edge though.

Also let's not forget the immense user base on PS4, the hardcore gamer will go for Neo and the other players will stay with PS4. I highly doubt a ton of users will go to MS just because it will have the edge when it comes to multiplats and even then it remains to be seen how much extra advantage third parties will take of the Scorpio hardware and if there's going to be parity.

My little prediction : all this vague power related talk is suddenly going to be way less important for a while when September 7th come.

If Sony has prepared a whole event for the NEO, it's pretty clear they have a lot to show, with efficient comparisons between PS4 and NEO games that could be pretty decisive in people's mind.

If this presentation is a success and if NEO comes into the market this year, what could Microsoft possibly do to stop the PS4 from dominating even more the worldwide market, boosted by this whole new momentum that is a mid-cycle upgraded machine ? Just keep repeating that they will have 2 more teraflops one year later is not going to be enough if, by any chance, the NEO is able to bring us a 60fps Bloodborne or some other significant goods like this.

Have a feeling a lot of doubts will be washed as soon as the discussion will shift from the vague technical sheet talk to concrete videos of games running on NEO. Seriously, September 7th can't come soon enough !

The God

Whatever they were thinking has likely been done by now. I mean using a 6 month or older spec sheet as gospel never made sense. And you pretty much ignored thst Osiris said they seemed to be leaning towards the more expensive of 2 options.

Osiris also said God of War and Deep Down would be launch titles. Do you believe that?

Chamber

love on your sleeve
4.2TF at $399 is fine with me. I don't know how much of a difference 4 vs 5 teraflops is going to make when most everything is still being designed around base PS4/XB1 level specs.

Afrikan

I'm really confused about what people are realistically expecting.

IMO this seems like what might happen if Sony did want to do something.

A release of a 4K BluRay player (Neo) soon.

and maaaybe a more powerful PlayStation console releasing in 2018 (one year after the Scorpio)

I think Sony could afford releasing a more powerful console one year after an Xbox one.

Especially if they officially announce it during the Scorpio launch window.

sure they would be one year behind, but at least they would still be more powerful if they care about that.

farisr

He's from giant bomb? And he's saying that Sony are going to up their try and up specs for a launch before the end of this year because they are scared of Scorpio? A unit that wont be out until late next year?
Both Patrick and Austin were at GiantBomb before and have joined Vice gaming. Patrick was the one who talked about the ps4.5 back in march while he was at Kotaku. Austin was still at giantbomb and was the one to leak the policies and specs from the official document in April.

They are both confirming that their sources have talked about the September 7th event.

They're not saying that Sony are going to up the specs for a launch before the end of the year because they are scared of the Scorpio.

They said they have looked into a higher spec option.
And their sources say there was some internal worry about how it would compare to the scorpio.

Due to the title and not reading the OP, people are thinking of this as some sort of confirmation or are basically hoping for it to be true rather than looking at the language used and the facts surrounding this.

Osiris, back near the end of March, also mentioned that sony was looking into a higher spec option. Before there were even rumblings about the Scorpio. He also mentioned that if Sony goes for the higher spec option it likely wouldn't launch this year due to pricing reasons.

gamerMan

Make it 8 Flops at $399. If Sony doesn't raise it, I would probably get the Scorpion cuz it has more flops.

Indeed. Whatever Sony decide, MS have more than enough time to maintain whatever lead they believe is feasible spec-wise.

Unless Sony introduces a console that you can upgrade, but nah. That's probably not the way these consoles are going.

So I am a bit surprised that some folks here say MS got screwed again when they actually are in a really fine position now. If September 7 is true Sony will likely spill all the beans and MS can easily act on that. It's clear they intend to do that based on how they announced the Scorpio.

Tagyhag

So my take is this.

RAM/VRAM: 12 GB's GDDR5....8GB for devs, 4GB for the OS, A further 1-2GB can be made available to devs from the OS allocation since OS expectations/gauging is pretty much on lock right now.

Lol damn, I mean, that'd be cool. But that's pretty hopeful!

psyfi

Banned
I really don't care which console ends up being more powerful. I'm just happy both are getting upgrades.

After the latest Titan X, it sure does seem low.

Compared to PC they will probably always be low, but for consoles it will most likely be pretty damn good. It's just kind of odd how MS all went.. "we got 6tf" so early when a lot can happen from announcement to release. But I am just assuming. PC folks will probably go all "lmao" when Scorpio releases next year and MS going all "most powerful console ever". But that's how it always goes.

thelastword

Banned
Osiris also said God of War and Deep Down would be launch titles. Do you believe that?
Well perhaps it's not launching this year...I've always said the earliest NEO should launch is March 2017. Let Morpheus have it's time in the sun come October, If Sony has been saying that PS4 is more than enough to run VR, let people see that and test it for themselves.

I would not mind if we get an official announcement for the NEO in September, but I would be more ecstatic if their launch date for NEO is next year along with Option 2 as per Osiris. I'd love for this September event to focus more on VR which was announced so long ago. So announce NEO, but launch it next year besides GOW, Horizon Zero Dawn, GTS-NEO, UC4-NEO, Until Dawn NEO, Bloodborne NEO. etc...

ViciousDS

Banned
am I?

yes I am

Hahaha, you get them everytime.

qjXtVep.gif

Relique

I don't think they'll be able increase specs significantly enough to steal Scorpio's thunder. But I don't think it matters as much. Just make a fucking good PS5.

I think that the bigger factor here is being out on the market sooner. If rumors are to be believed it may be almost a year ahead, this is enough time to really establish a console.

Kind of yes, but my point is, this kind of information is very sketchy to me. GB was the one who leaked the info on NEO, people may 'corroborate' but i don't generally trust individual journos sources over putting an entire site's cred on the line

Um No Patrick Klepak is the man who broke this entire thing wide open not GB.

http://kotaku.com/sources-sony-is-working-on-a-ps4-5-1765723053

If there is anyone in the industry who you should probably listen to about Neo it is him. GB did indeed report some stuff on Neo first like its spec, but Patrick is the one who broke the Neo even existed

This topic, the OP, and people thinking of this as some sort of confirmation are basically hoping for it to be true rather than looking at the language used and the facts surrounding this..

The OP thinking this is some sort of confirmation? You may want to actually read my OP

Sssssssssssssssscoopin' up those hot scoops!

Assuming Neo releases this year, I'm not sure they could bump up in a significant way. But you know what? If it doesn't affect the originally intended final price then any improvement is welcomed.

Hopefully this in turn means Microsoft uses the extra year to improve final Scorpio specs further as well.

Which...I guess will then in turn inspire Sony to go beast mode for PS5?

Oh god this is going to get crazy isn't it?

The war is changing.

There are too many credible people saying its happening for it to be fake.

And there is no crazier war than a war without battlelines.

Rains

I don't expect we'll see massive changes but I could see some mild upclocks happening as well as an increase in RAM bandwidth.
Indeed i see some clock speeds increasing the hardware is made and the chips are bought if it launching this year

SpotAnime

I feel that the only things they'll be able to do at this point is to add additional RAM like the original PS4 or overclock the GPU/CPU like they did with the PSP. Either of those is probably more than enough, and won't disrupt the architecture and manufacturing. Question is, have these already started to roll off the assembly line?

I don't blame them. I mean, I don't think it will be right up there with the Scorpio, but if they can push it a bit further than the current NEO iteration, then hell yeah :).

The God

Looking at last quarter's results, calling it a 'competition' seems like it'd be being overly generous.
I'd rather not have Sony acting like they don't have to consider their competitors, or that they can just do whatever because they're in the lead.
Well perhaps it's not launching this year...I've always said the earliest NEO should launch is March 2017. Let Morpheus have it's time in the sun come October, If Sony has been saying that PS4 is more than enough to run VR, let people see that and test it for themselves.

I would not mind if we get an official announcement for the NEO in September, but I would be more ecstatic if their launch date for NEO is next year along with Option 2 as per Osiris. I'd love for this September event to focus more on VR which was announced so long ago. So announce NEO, but launch it next year besides GOW, Horizon Zero Dawn, GTS-NEO, UC4-NEO, Until Dawn NEO, Bloodborne NEO. etc...

Just about everything points to the console releasing this year though. And GoW and Deep Down clearly aren't releasing this year, so...

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
If Sony increase the spec Microsoft might not be able to the same as they already invested in the tech.

This doesn't add up

If Sony can increase spec despite dev kits in the wild, Microsoft can obviously do the same given that they most likely haven't locked down a final spec and won't release for 15 months.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I just do not get why they, a market leader, is 'worried' about a spec a year off, that clearly would have more.

Maybe a discussion, you always discuss competition, but 'worry', hmmm.

The pre-launch PS3 arrogance has probably taught them the lesson, to always be worried.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Some hilarious misconceptions about the need for more cpu-power in this thread, comical really.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood

So my take is this.

Wait. Are you saying this is what you think Neo is, or what they could be if they delayed a year?

N.Domixis

Banned
MS at e3-2017 " Oh, did we say 6 TF? What we really meant was 60 TF" Sony shuts down everything playstation the next day.

Even If the specs don't change I really think people are seriously underestimating just how powerful the Neo with currently known specs would be.

Kolx

Wont this give ms time to boost there specs?

Sony would already have the price advantage by the time Scorpio launches. Unless they overclock it MS has to either take a loss or stretch the difference in price even further in order to up their specs. Not a smart move to do especially when they'll have the advantage anyway in specs since no matter what Sony do they won't reach 6tf.

Top Bottom