• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAX East 2015 Discussion Thread

Hey Bostonians, I have close to a 30 minute walk from my Hotel to the Convention center, can I get away with running shoes? How do the sidewalks look today?

5amshift

Banned
Hey Bostonians, I have close to a 30 minute walk from my Hotel to the Convention center, can I get away with running shoes? How do the sidewalks look today?

Running shoes are your best bet regardless. You won't care about the 30 minute walk when you'll be 7+ hours at the convention, plus anything else you do. Sidewalks are fine since it's a big business district.

Running shoes are your best bet regardless. You won't care about the 30 minute walk when you'll be 7+ hours at the convention, plus anything else you do. Sidewalks are fine since it's a big business district.

ehhhhhh...a 30 minute walk could anywhere within a couple of miles from the convention center. including some sidewalks that are full of puddles that would result in a very long 7+ hours with wet socks and shoes. I was puddle dodging my whole way around backbay and the south end yesterday. if i was wearing running shoes i would have had a very bad day

wear something waterproof for the walk, bring something comfortable for PAX

EDIT: just wanted to add that it looks like it will be above freezing on saturday and sunday, so all that melting snow and ice has to go somewhere

As the other guy said, don't let any snow/weather stop you from wearing comfortable shoes. You're going to be standing around for hours. Don't wear boots just because there's some snow outside. Plus, I've been walking to and from my campus gym in running shoes and shorts during some of the snow storms this year. It's not that bad :)

You could always take the T to south station and eliminate a chunk of the walk/street messiness. Pretty sure that the sidewalks are going to be clear from the station to the convention center.

Mully

First PAX, too.

How bad is it to low-key job/internship hunt? Nothing obnoxious, but I feel like there will be so many PR teams to connect with, I didn't want to give up the opportunity.

As mentioned earlier, have business cards ready and hang around bars near the convention center to hob nob with developers afterward. Deals are never made on the show floor at conventions.

You could always take the T to south station and eliminate a chunk of the walk/street messiness. Pretty sure that the sidewalks are going to be clear from the station to the convention center.

The South Station is pretty close to my hotel, so that'll probably be my situation then. Thanks everyone!

Sigfodr

Hope you have business cards ready.
Made some specifically for PAX.
True, but not entirely. You'll see PR reps and community managers around for studios and publishers. You just have to know faces.
That's exactly who I'm looking for, especially the firms attached to multiple devals and indies.
As mentioned earlier, have business cards ready and hang around bars near the convention center to hob nob with developers afterward. Deals are never made on the show floor at conventions.
Thanks!

Safer to bring cash, I think a lot of vendors have credit cards but depending what you are buying there can be big lines and people surrounding the tables so having the extra change can get you back on the move.

Are outside food/drinks allowed at PAX? Are the concessions good/reasonably priced or should I just plan on going somewhere else for meals?

Clearos

Are outside food/drinks allowed at PAX? Are the concessions good/reasonably priced or should I just plan on going somewhere else for meals?

Their prices are a bit expensive ($5 for a hotdog if i recall) There are a few food joints within walking distance if you want a more sit down and relax lunch.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/ps/4/1476...tion-and-exhibition-center-nearby-restaurants I highly recommend Blue Dragon if you can get in.

I bring a bunch of power bars but I have yet to try to bring a drink in. I don't see it being an issue but please don't take that for fact.

Sanjuro

If the snow doesn't do something, the potholes might. For those driving...roads here are a bit bumpy.

Few years ago when they were digging up the streets of Harvard Square, a exposed manhole cover was high enough to rip off my oil pan, drain oil, kill engine.

My insurance had to pay around $5k for that.

Good old lazy MA. They never get anything done.

Yup, CT roads have gone to shit, I need to make sure I get my car home in one piece before I worry about the drive to Boston tonight.

That'll be rough, and somewhat slick. Good luck there. Hopefully you're at least able to stay in town and just park your car for the weekend.

Few years ago when they were digging up the streets of Harvard Square, a exposed manhole cover was high enough to rip off my oil pan, drain oil, kill engine.

My insurance had to pay around $5k for that.

Good old lazy MA. They never get anything done.

Shit. SHIT.

It'll be June before we get the roads back in order, easy.

Sanjuro

The meals there are fine considering the venue. Not cheap and heading to Chinatown or so takes a good chunk of time out of the day.

Sanjuro

Going to Chinatown and back doesn't take that long, especially with the shuttles.

Technically, no. More on vanishing time for most people without their eye on the clock.

With my group everyone took forever.

I grab something in the venue and then go nuts for dinner / drinks.

I think one of the easiest mistakes to make is buying Udon's non-convention exclusive artbooks. You can easily get them from Amazon usually for cheaper.

Also, buying from the stupidly expensive booths with import games. You probably can get most of those for cheaper.

ScribbleD

I have 2 extra 3-day passes now because my friends from MD decided not to make the drive up with the storm down there. Let me know if you want one soon (and the other is up for grabs to anybody else too), otherwise I'm going to dump them somewhere else. I'm looking for $135.

I expect to be there early on Friday somewhere around 8:30am so we have a window to meet up before I get into line for the keynote.

I'll try to be out front of the BCEC around that time. Hopefully the hotel shuttle gets there in time. Thanks.

Looking at getting together tomorrow evening at Atlantic Beer Garden.

Exhibit Hall closes at 6, so does everyone want to head over after that? If we can get enough of a consensus we could just slap it in the OP.

MegaBusta

A PSA for those wanting to try out the new Oculus Rift prototype Crescent Bay without waiting on a line for god knows how long. They have an events app where you can schedule a demo date at a time of your choosing. Spots are going pretty quickly. thankfully I was able to snag 2 spots on Sunday afternoon for me and my brother.

iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-oculus-events-app/id969733783?mt=8

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.guidebook.apps.OculusXP.android&hl=en

A PSA for those wanting to try out the new Oculus Rift prototype Crescent Bay without waiting on a line for god knows how long. They have an events app where you can schedule a demo time on each day. Spots are going pretty quickly. thankfully I was able to snag 2 spots on Sunday afternoon for me and my brother.

iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-oculus-events-app/id969733783?mt=8

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.guidebook.apps.OculusXP.android&hl=en

oh shit! good looking out

Sanjuro

MOTHERFUCKER

http://www.harpoonbrewery.com/festivals/2127/2015-harpoon-st-patrick-s-festival

I really wanted to go to this. Still might. Anyone else interested? It's this weekend, same as PAX. Meaning the Silver Line might be more packed than usual.

Wasn't a fan of the event I went to Harpoon. It was full priced drinks. Think it was some Octoberfest event. Right now just collecting ideas. With one other person, and not sure what her opinion is going to be for drunken shenanigans.

Mully

Probably have to miss this one this year :/ Normally, I'd be down for Harpoonfests because they're awesome.

Man, Waterfront will be packed

Sunday they don't have the event so we should be good if you guys want to organize a Sunday thing as well.

Mully

What does the Harpoon thing have? Like I said, when I went there were just DJs and $6 beers.

Bagpipes and irish stuff within their Biergarten. I'm sure it'd be a good place to hang. It's far enough away to scare off most PAX goers and meet some locals as well.

The last time i went to harpoon, the setup was awful. You had to fight through hundreds of people wall-to-wall just to get a drink

Those pretzels hnnngggggg

What does the Harpoon thing have? Like I said, when I went there were just DJs and $6 beers.

Bagpipes and irish stuff within their Biergarten. I'm sure it'd be a good place to hang. It's far enough away to scare off most PAX goers and meet some locals as well.

It's their St. Paddy's Fest so it would be the big shindig in the parking lots outside their brewery with the tents, music, food stalls, and beer lines. Since it's a Harpoonfest it's usually crowded and stuff, and $20 to get in IIRC (less for a Friend of Harpoon member)

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Setting up our booth right now. Awesome to see so many people on gaf pumped about pax east. :D

Setup day is so much fun and I don't know why.

evilalien

I'll try to be out front of the BCEC around that time. Hopefully the hotel shuttle gets there in time. Thanks.

Dude, you took so long to respond that I've already had the passes claimed by other people. I'm letting you know so that you have a chance to get a pass from somebody else and aren't waiting for me when I don't have any left. You can try http://www.reddit.com/r/PaxPassExchange/ for some reasonably priced tickets maybe.

Mully

Rockband 4 was announced at GDC. Any chance we see it at PAX East?

It's their St. Paddy's Fest so it would be the big shindig in the parking lots outside their brewery with the tents, music, food stalls, and beer lines. Since it's a Harpoonfest it's usually crowded and stuff, and $20 to get in IIRC (less for a Friend of Harpoon member)

Is it worth it?

Is it worth it?

I like it because they would have on tap a beer you don't usually find out in the wild and I would just go drink that. If there wasn't a PAX going on I'd say maybe. The atmosphere is nice but its gets pretty crowded.

The $20 is a cover charge; food+beer you still have to pay for.

Top Bottom