• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCSX2 1.2.0 released! Emulate your PS2 games at high resolution and frame rates.

cerulily

What settings are you using for Valkyrie Profile 2? I just tried it and it still runs with inconsistent frame rate, lines overtop of cinematics, and the forest is still completely junk.

RangerBAD

Yeah I have, you're going to have to run them both in software mode as otherwise they are broken. I'm not sure about AC5 but RRV has a widescreen patch which does help.
The GPU is decent for PC games but it's bandwidth staved from I've heard. You'll be fine at native res and if you're lucky you can go up to 2x internal res. But yeah CPU is what counts most so even if you have a good enough GPU it won't matter.

Well, I have an i5-4400@3.10Ghz.

Does anyone have any tips on getting the DDR games to run without audio glitches? I've tried tons of different settings, but I keep getting audio lag and stuttering. Also, DDR Disney Channel crashes after a few minutes. I can hear audio but the video is unresponsive.

I'm pretty sure it's not supported past snow leopard.

I've gotten the OS X version working out Mountain Lion before, but it took hours and hours and performance was absolutely terrible. I'd be happy to help you out if you'd like (I spent all that time figuring out how to make it work, so might as well share), but my recommendation is that you don't bother.

I highly recommend using bootcamp if it's at all possible to do so. I've found that having an SSD makes rebooting into Windows pretty painless, since the computer can restart so quickly.

jwhit28

Yup, here's a how-to, all credits go to Santini:

If you can't get it to work, let me know and I'll help, those instructions can look a little daunting.

I got it eventually. The PS2 Classics used a different file extension and I had to find a different program to convert them to a pcsx2 mem card. Thanks tho. I'm gonna finish Persona 4 in HD.

Pachimari

Guys, I need help.

I have made my Dual Shock 3 work with a USB cable but why won't it work wirelessly?

I have bought a bluetooth 4.0 dongle but I'm not sure how to make it work.

I did do the driver update in Zadig though.

-----

Also, is Final Fantasy XII supposed to have squary shadows and no character shadows? And look as pixelated as this?

glgVr6o.jpg

CHC

Is there an HD UI mod for any games (I'm thinking of FFXII in particular) like for a lot of the games on Dolphin?

Game looks good but that text is an eyesore.

Is there an HD UI mod for any games (I'm thinking of FFXII in particular) like for a lot of the games on Dolphin?

Game looks good but that text is an eyesore.

I don't think so, but you can force on texture filtering for the text (full select under hardware mode settings in GSDX). Then it won't be pixelated.

Btw. @ Madridista, you should switch to 16:9 in game once you can open up the menu after the first tutorial.

Pachimari

I don't think so, but you can force on texture filtering for the text (full select under hardware mode settings in GSDX). Then it won't be pixelated.

Btw. @ Madridista, you should switch to 16:9 in game once you can open up the menu after the first tutorial.

Pretty sure I already did that. :)

Sora_N

Ultimate Spider-man doesn't work. :/

Need to figure out what's up with it.

Just tried Onimusha 2.

Doesn't look that great lol.

VALzjLb.jpg

DeSo

Banned
Just a question about NTSC and PAL, will PAL games run 10fps slower than NTSC games on PCSX2? So if you have a capable rig you're better off having the NTSC version for the higher fps?

Begaria

I've been playing Tales of Legendia on 1.2.0. For the most part, it runs at 60 FPS. However, there are several instances where it will drop frames. I run a 3.4 GHZ quad Core CPU with a 5850HD (about a 2009/2010 PC configuration). I've looked up the PCSX2 wiki and it says Legendia demands a good CPU. If figure a quad core is good, if a bit old at this point. Anyways, here's where it drops frames:

1. Those harder bubble battles. There's these bubbles in dungeons that will throw you into a battle against a dark version of an enemy. Every single one of those types of fights cuts the frame rate to 35-40 FPS.

2. When there's a lot of character models on screen during cutscenes, but not during battles (strange).

3. All puzzle rooms run 30 FPS. Thankfully you can completely skip those.

4. A single town on the world map, if the camera is panned right over it, makes the frame rate get cut down to 30 FPS for some bizarre reason. When it the city is fully revealed after a cutscene on the world map, it does not. Very weird.

All in all it runs at 60 FPS like 80% of the time, so very playable.

finley83

Banned
I really hope Timesplitters 1 gets better compatibility someday. Right now it's got a load of weird bugs and stutters like hell most of the time :(

Also to the guy earlier, yes you do want the NTSC versions. Not only do you get better frame rates but some games have nasty black borders and stutter due to poor 50hz implementation. PAL Metal Slug Anthology was an unplayable abomination.

I've been playing Tales of Legendia on 1.2.0. For the most part, it runs at 60 FPS. However, there are several instances where it will drop frames. I run a 3.4 GHZ quad Core CPU with a 5850HD (about a 2009/2010 PC configuration). I've looked up the PCSX2 wiki and it says Legendia demands a good CPU. If figure a quad core is good, if a bit old at this point. Anyways, here's where it drops frames:

You can try adding speed hacks (config/emulation settings).

Also, which quad core do you have exactly?

Just tried Onimusha 2.

Doesn't look that great lol.

VALzjLb.jpg

The thing about the old pre-rendered games is that the characters get rendered in the new high resolution you set your emulator at because they are 3D models. The backgrounds however stay the same low-resolution they were rendered in back then, they are simply a picture that you are increasing the size of. The difference then between the sharp character model and the washed out backdrop is very noticeable.

Same goes for the old PS1 Resident Evil games, or the REmake and Re:Zero. They all use pre-rendered backgrounds.

hobz360

What do you guys think of this spec? Will it run ps2 games on pcsx2 on max settings?

4th Generation Intel® Haswell Core™ i7-4700MQ (2.4GHz - 3.4GHz)
NVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX 870M (3.0GB) GDDR5 PCI-Express DX11 w/ Optimus™ Technology
8GB DDR3 1600MHz

Is it worth it to upgrade the cpu from i7-4700MQ to the 4th Generation Intel® Haswell Core™ i7-4800MQ (2.7GHz - 3.7GHz)? I have a 7 year old laptop and I plan on upgrading soon.

Grief.exe

What do you guys think of this spec? Will it run ps2 games on pcsx2 on max settings?

4th Generation Intel® Haswell Core™ i7-4700MQ (2.4GHz - 3.4GHz)
NVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX 870M (3.0GB) GDDR5 PCI-Express DX11 w/ Optimus™ Technology
8GB DDR3 1600MHz

Is it worth it to upgrade the cpu from i7-4700MQ to the 4th Generation Intel® Haswell Core™ i7-4800MQ (2.7GHz - 3.7GHz)? I have a 7 year old laptop and I plan on upgrading soon.

That's a pretty solid set up, looks like a very expensive laptop though.

In PC gaming, you will always be better served by building your own desktop and have a relatively cheap laptop for backup.

Emulation isn't massively multithreaded so won't take advantage of the hyperthreading in an i7, but will take advantage of a massive overclock you can give to a desktop processor and GPU.

Krathoon

Gold Member
Thank god I can play Siren 2 now. It tried jumping through all kinds of hoops to get it to work on my NSTC PS2 years ago and no such luck. Then, you had the spiky texture problem with the older emulator. A high res FF12 would really be nice too.

Does anyone know how to fix the mirage clones in Dirge of Cerberus? It seems to get better when I switch over to software mode instead of hardware mode in the video settings but then the game just drops to lower than 60 FPS or whatever it is the original game runs at.

Awakened

Does anyone know how to fix the mirage clones in Dirge of Cerberus? It seems to get better when I switch over to software mode instead of hardware mode in the video settings but then the game just drops to lower than 60 FPS or whatever it is the original game runs at.
Make sure to change extra rendering threads to 3 (or however many cores/threads your CPU has) under software mode settings for the graphics plugin. After I did that change I found I could get most games running just as good in D3D11 software mode as in hardware mode.

Make sure to change extra rendering threads to 3 (or however many cores/threads your CPU has) under software mode settings for the graphics plugin. After I did that change I found I could get most games running just as good in D3D11 software mode as in hardware mode.

Thank you for that. It runs like a champ now.

Gvaz

Banned
Anyone know how to fix the shadows/bloom on Xenosaga 3?

Software mode isn't an option. I can crank it up to 6x so power isn't an issue for me.

SOLDIER

Try running FMVs in software mode (it's an option in the settings).

Haven't found out how to do this yet, the only thing I've seen is to press F9 in-game. Is there no way to tick it in the settings so it always runs in software mode?

Top Bottom