• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Review Thread

MTC100

Banned
I predicted 94 MC. Still holding!

We're in the same boat with this one, let's hope it won't drop!

1473800630-keypeele-201-gif-dubstep01-400x225.gif

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
its a different culture. imposing American cultural norms on them is not going to work.

Whether or not this issue should have come up when translating the game for American audience's is a whole other issue.

Oh too bad they didn't change it for localization I stand 100% behind EGM on this.
I hope AtlusUSA at least had a chance to send the Persona team some feedback on this.
Like you said I want to believe this is because of an unawareness for being in a quite different cultural climate instead of malicious intent. But yes def not great and deserves criticism.

100 hours to complete?

If you're willing to skip cutscenes and speed through dialogue and just play the dungeons/combat game, you can knock about 20 hours off that. Fast travel options make the experience breeze by.

These were never games with short playtimes built into them, though.

Burbeting

Banned
its a different culture. imposing American cultural norms on them is not going to work.

Whether or not this issue should have come up when translating the game for American audience's is a whole other issue.

Homophobia is not a case of 'different culture'. I'm not American myself, either.

Call a spade for what it is.

mollipen

I'm the person who wrote that. I've also lived in Japan and am very aware of their cultural outlook on LGBT issues.

I give Japanese developers a lot of wiggle room on this kind of stuff, but this is something I don't think they deserve that on.

At the very least after P5 there will be a much needed drought in releases for a while, at least for me. The next release I have my eyes on is Crash in late June.

The Polygon review has a full sidebar dedicated to how shitty the representations of gay men in the game are. It sucks.

Kanji is my favourite Persona character so I'm pretty bummed with how they've handled everything after him. Time and place of right now would've been perfect to follow up on something like that. Oh well.

Pinky

Banned
Never played a Persona game. Is it necessary to play the previous titles or is the series more like Final Fantasy where the story/setting is different each time?

From the EGM review:

This sounds extremely disappointing. Maybe even thread-worthy :(
That thread would be an unmarked spoiler-heavy shit show if you made it right now.

I'm REALLY curious about that though, and if it's just a one off sour gag, or treated with prominence.

Edit:
I'm the person who wrote that. I've also lived in Japan and am very aware of their cultural outlook on LGBT issues.

I give Japanese developers a lot of wiggle room on this kind of stuff, but this is something I don't think they deserve that on.
Ok, this seems like it certainly bears a discussion after everyone has time to get to that point.

KodaRuss

My biggest worry about this game was not liking the characters as much as I liked the characters in 4 but it sounds like that isnt a problem at all. (Which honestly I am not sure is possible)

Cant wait.

Nachos

Game Revolution's one criticism is...

Well that can be remedied with the Japanese audio DLC!
Yeah, a few characters are really miscast in this game. Some of them put in really good performances despite that, but it still throws off the group dynamics. In English, the first boss is the most fearsome-sounding target in the entire game, when he sounds like a total dork in Japanese. 2nd dungeon's boss is terrible, and the 3rd's has the misfortune of having lukewarm acting and being miscast.

It's not just great games coming out .. it's lengthy great games .. like BOTW, Horizon, Persona 5 .. list just goes on..
Yep, still haven't found the time to finish Horizon yet. If Red Dead, Spider-Man and Xenoblade 2(doubtful) some how release this year, I'm not sure how I'm going to handle it all.

oti

Banned
If only it was coming out on Switch :( That amount of time has breezed by on Zelda due to being able to bring it around with me.

P3 and 4 take around 80 hours to complete. I just finished 4 Golden on vita last month and it felt like 20 hours. These games tend to be served by their extreme length, and they fly by super quickly. I understand your reluctance, I've been there myself, but I wouldn't deny myself a Persona game because of its length. The vast majority of the game has no difficulty since it's about managing your time and picking social activities, so it's more like a book or a season of TV than anything.

I played P4G on Vita and loved it. Hoping and waiting for a Switch version, no matter how long that takes. I've got enough other games to play right now and for the foreseeable future.

Never played a Persona game. Is it necessary to play the previous titles or is the series more like Final Fantasy where the story/setting is different each time?

Standalone. I've espoused about it in the other thread, that the degree of polish easily makes P5 the best entry point for the series.

Emu-Fred

Banned
3 months in and we already have 4 Game of the Year contenders

(Zelda (My GOTY IMO), Nier, Horizon, Persona 5)

Holy crap.

Ellite25

New to persona I take?
I played Persona 4, didn't finish it though. I was thinking about giving 5 a shot, but 90-100 hours to finish is a lot. I don't have that kind of time to dedicate to one game. I've had Horizon since the day it released and I've put about 16 hours into it.

Top Bottom