• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5's requirement players must agree to before playing is absolute nonsense

Status
Not open for further replies.

BiggNife

what made you think that his thread was a good idea? Did you read what you wrote at all?
You could complain about any other thing, yet you choose to complain about a disclaimer that has been made fit into the narrative of the story.
Reminder this is the same dude who made a thread titled "Apple is killing the headphone jack, THANK GOD."

He's just trying to get a rise out of people for kicks. Its what he does.

Atlus just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Persona 5 for either system, nor will they purchase any of Atlus' games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Atlus has alienated an entire market with this move.

Atlus, publicly apologize and make Persona 5 real or you can kiss your business goodbye.

YBdisk

I don't know if op is joking or not, but if you're taking the game this seriously I don't think you're going to enjoy it. Cut your losses and play another game... Holy fucking shit.

kmax

giphy.gif

Just play the damn game.

Zakalwe

Banned
Atlus just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Persona 5 for either system, nor will they purchase any of Atlus' games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Atlus has alienated an entire market with this move.

Atlus, publicly apologize and make Persona 5 real or you can kiss your business goodbye.

The reference, I get it.

Also just realised the For Honour OT title was a reference to this.

Joke or not, thread delivers.

Haunted

Is this one of those superhot is the most innovative shooter I've played in years viral marketing things?

Or just plain ol' tag fishing?

This is getting ridiculous. So you decided to start a thread to complain about the very first prompt in the game instead of playing said game? Try not to create a thread when it asks you to name your character, no matter how outraged it makes you.

Interfectum

I boot Persona 5 up and immediately upon starting a new game, it informs you the game is a work of fiction; that any resemblance to real life is purely coincidental. That's fine, I guess. It's nothing I haven't seen before. But then -- then -- it asks you to actually agree to the above garbage. It says "Only those who have agreed to the above have the privilege of partaking in this game." Of course I hit I do not agree. The game then completely mischaracterizes your answer by saying, "Everything that happens from here on is real..." No, that's not what I said. I said I don't agree everything in the game is purely a work of fiction. I find that incredibly hard to believe.

The narrator continues, "Then unfortunately I cannot allow you to partake in this game" and kicks me back to the title screen.

What? That is absolute nonsense. Why didn't the box have this disclaimer and requirement on it when I purchased it? Why wasn't there some sort of warning I had to agree to this unheard of requirement before I could play the game? Atlus was happy to take my money without first disclosing this mandatory agreement. Nowhere did I see it on the box or in any product descriptions. Between this ridiculousness and banning of streaming, totally absurd. I can't think of any other games that have this requirement. If they just put that disclaimer, fine. But to actually have the player select to agree before playing? That's over the top.

For those that automatically hit yes: http://twinfinite.net/2017/04/persona-5-agree-disagree-work-fiction/

1bb778.gif

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I boot Persona 5 up and immediately upon starting a new game, it informs you the game is a work of fiction; that any resemblance to real life is purely coincidental. That's fine, I guess. It's nothing I haven't seen before. But then -- then -- it asks you to actually agree to the above garbage. It says "Only those who have agreed to the above have the privilege of partaking in this game." Of course I hit I do not agree. The game then completely mischaracterizes your answer by saying, "Everything that happens from here on is real..." No, that's not what I said. I said I don't agree everything in the game is purely a work of fiction. I find that incredibly hard to believe.

The narrator continues, "Then unfortunately I cannot allow you to partake in this game" and kicks me back to the title screen.

What? That is absolute nonsense. Why didn't the box have this disclaimer and requirement on it when I purchased it? Why wasn't there some sort of warning I had to agree to this unheard of requirement before I could play the game? Atlus was happy to take my money without first disclosing this mandatory agreement. Nowhere did I see it on the box or in any product descriptions. Between this ridiculousness and banning of streaming, totally absurd. I can't think of any other games that have this requirement. If they just put that disclaimer, fine. But to actually have the player select to agree before playing? That's over the top.

For those that automatically hit yes: http://twinfinite.net/2017/04/persona-5-agree-disagree-work-fiction/
giphy.gif

Hoo-doo

Banned
Joke thread.

The 'contract' you sign is a central theme of the game.
How about playing, you know, the game you purchased. It's a story thing, not some random EULA.

rrs

bBoy AJ
My parents were murdered by a dubious video game contract and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Sanctuary

This makes me want to play the game more

Same. I was planning on buying it anyway, but haven't yet, and I'm about to go out of town for two weeks, and was wanting to catch up on some reading. The aunt I'm visiting however is a huge fan of JRPGs (especially turn based), and she's played P3 and P4, and probably doesn't even know this exists. I'll ask her if she thinks she can finish it before I leave...

I returned my collectors edition because of that, completely ridiculous and a disgusting practice that I hope doesn't continue. I sent a complaint to Sony and Atlus asking for a recall or patch.

Zolo

I thought the reason they did a choice here was specifically the:

"Similarities between characters or events to persons living or dead in your world are coincidental."

When at least a couple of cases in the game come from news stories in Japan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom