• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PewDiePie calls someone a "fucking n****r" during PUBG livestream

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randam

Why does gaming in general attract so much stunted scum?
It's not just gaming.

Gaming is just pretty big and we have forums, YouTube, twitch and so on.
And we are gamers so we use all of those.

But you will find people like that every where.
In sports, music etc.

Mik317

Well, that is a rational reaction. Take away his livelihood, because he said a word.

Its more of his recent history against him than just this incident. This is like strike 3 at the very least for dude (more like 8).

He'd probably get the benefit of the doubt without the previous fuckery actually. Fool me once and all that jazz.

Ravelle

I'm genuinely curious how the word cracker came to be. I assume it has something to do with "cracking the whip"?

Eh, it's just a courtesy to do it, I feel. We all know what's being said, but it's not like adding asterisks in place of the full word is ruining anyone's day :p

Yeah, I guess. People do it just in case, for safety. But at the same time everyone knows what's being said so censoring it is kind of meaningless, like how public television broadcasts have shows with swearing in it but censoring it as well, anyone know's what the intended swear word is. Often the intention is worse than the word itself.

Lots of children and people with little actual social interaction. A lot of the people who don't see the big deal behind this word are the same ones who get outraged if a game they're looking forward to gets an 8/10 from IGN.

The difference between Ryan Davis, Maximillian, and Pewds? Nothing. All of them are fine with letting these words rip in private or in their head, but the community behind them is what separates them.

The difference is that Ryan and Max apologized, acknowledged their mistake, and didn't do it again. Pewdiepie has a history with this shit.

Anung

Un Rama
Just thought i'd mention an interesting side thing that has appeared during this controversy. As well as calling it out, a few youtubers are blaming pewdiepie for the whole 'adpocalypse' that has been happening on youtube lately. Seems like other youtubers are starting to push back against their most famous video creator.

ZlugSbk.png

Well finally a YouTuber had the balls to say it. Hopefully more will start pushing back when they realise he isn't worth defending.

fester

Banned
Well, that is a rational reaction. Take away his livelihood, because he said a word.

Do you have any idea how things work in the real working world? In my position of influence and authority, I would be fired in an instant for saying anything even remotely close to this. But then again, my company actually tries to uphold a core set of values regardless of financial impact, unlike Google.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Many are assuredly alt accounts so people can spout shit without endangering their real account they post on.

Why would they ban accounts and not IPs anyway? Like surely there must be some consistent way of keeping track

Unless the alt people are literally running VPNs just to shitpost on here in which case I can't do much more than laugh that someone would go through all that trouble just to defend a racist on the internet

Cyframe

I can't spend more time in this thread it's depressing to see a PDP defense force. But when I was a kid I grew up on shows like Mr. Rogers and Reading Rainbow and if people like him who are content creators to such a young and impressionable group, I feel sad with how things are going. What a regression to think he's a role model for so many.

Just thought i'd mention an interesting side thing that has appeared during this controversy. As well as calling it out, a few youtubers are blaming pewdiepie for the whole 'adpocalypse' that has been happening on youtube lately. Seems like other youtubers are starting to push back against their most famous video creator.

ZlugSbk.png
I wouldn't say the adpocalypse is his fault, but he definitely made advertisers force Google's hand by bringing attention to it.

People raised in front of computers, getting their world views shaped by memes and equally stunted youtube commentators, develop little to no empathy or social understanding for anything outside of their little bubbles. "Me and my buddies who play counterstrike all day say the n-word all the time, and we're all good dudes, therefore everyone who thinks the word is bad is just a snowflake".

Lux R7

again,it's not "euorpe doesn't have racism" or "europe doesn't understand colonialism/slavery"..it's simply that,being that world (mainly) part of US history,it's there that it has the biggest weight...here in italy probably the direct translation would be "negro", that again,it's not the political correct term,and will definitely raise some eyebrow if used in public, but it will never bring to examples like this

again, please don't take this post as an example of the italian culture.
I'm italian and the n word is racist here too. No excuses.

Jombie

lol go say the n word at your job within earshot and see how long you are employed...although theshe days that might actually be longer than I think

Say it on social media, even.

It's fucking irresponsible to allow him to have the platform that he does. This shit is no longer ambiguous. What would it take for him to get dropped after dressing up like a nazi, defending a sexist asshole and then naturally muttering the n word during a stream? Not to mention his long history of rape jokes. If he was in Hollywood his career would be fucking over.

D i Z

ZlugSbk.png

Need more of this. A LOT more.

It is true that that are many millions and millions of people across the globe who are not not intimately familiar with American and North American culture, and who are not well acquainted with the terminology and meaning of primarily American slurs. And it's also true that criticizing those from other parts of the world who are sincerely unaware may be a misstep since, as hard as it may be to believe, America is not the centre of the universe.

All of that being said, PDP knows exactly what the word means. And he's acutely familiar with the ins and outs of North American-grounded racism, since he's quite cosmopolitan in his racism. Guy is a fucking vile asshole.

This really doesn't fly. American culture is pop culture, media and entertainment from the US is known worldwide. There is no excuse.

Atilac

ZlugSbk.png

I thought DaddyOfive was the cause of the adpocalypse?

Village

ZlugSbk.png

I like this, more of this. More of this moving him under the bus. Condem him

Newline

Excuse me, are you just calling me a racist because of my post?

You don't know me, or my background. Do you tend to walk around accusing people solely on the basis of throwaway assumptions?
When you make a post thats in the defence of a racist, who else can you blame?

Alucrid

Banned
This thread taught me that Ryan Davis once said faggot and apologized a bunch for it.

Different people saying stupid shit and folks let it slide. Remember when Maximillian said "Chigger chagger nigger dagger" on one of his streams? He came out and apologized and cried on a video about it if I recall correctly.

The difference between Ryan Davis, Maximillian, and Pewds? Nothing. All of them are fine with letting these words rip in private or in their head, but the community behind them is what separates them.

Same word, different people, but the people like Ryan, like Max, but don't like Pewds. I personally don't like pewds and could give a shit less on what happens to him or his fanbase if he fell off the face of the planet.

oh i thought that it was that ryan davis and max didn't lash out at the media for being the cause of all their problems

Is n***r that offensive??? I'm from EU and had to watch the video to know what n***r actual means...

I'm not that in into US culture... were does the word really come from? sounds like a variation of negro.

I don't give a fuck about PewDiePie to be true I may have just whatsched it two times and quitted his videos 'cause found them annoying.

It's like the word version of Zwarte Piet.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well

You should go to work tomorrow, use the word at the first black person you see, then repeat verbatim what you've type to the people in HR.

"take away his livelihood" lol

If he suddenly stopped doing videos and exited any companies or contracts he's with tomorrow, he'd likely have enough in the bank to live comfortably without working the rest of his life.

Aters

The word is dropped casually in rap music. Its not fair if one person can say it and the other not.

As a foreigner I was once wondering about the same thing. If a word is such an insult to a group of people, how can said group of people use it like nothing? But I guess this is just an American thing. When you're in America, you do as what Americans do.

DarkKyo

There are actually some people in here defending him? What the fuck. I'm surprised types like that have lasted any extended period of time no GAF to be outed by defending something so obviously awful.

Excuse me, are you just calling me a racist because of my post?

You don't know me, or my background. Do you tend to walk around accusing people solely on the basis of throwaway assumptions?

You don't think racist should face real world consequences for being racist. Some would say that is an example of defending racists. That's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom