• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pewdiepie just can't help himself with the N word...the 4th time

Status
Not open for further replies.
You do not understand the basics of systemic oppression and why racism towards blacks specifically by whites is incredibly worse than the vice versa. There are LITERAL NAZIS IN THE WHITE HOUSE and youre over here going "b-but us poor whites!"

No. Just no.

LotusHD

Banned
I think the guy is just trying to steal some black swag, like the pathetic guy from The Wire: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82Jg-Omwmo4

He just isn't aware all the time of how bad that sounds to americans due to the extreme political correctness wave regarding some words.

The extreme political correctness wave.... that we have... concerning the N word, that word that's been used to denigrate and dehumanize black people...

O k.

At least he caught himself this time lol. I don't think he was gonna drop a hard r either, but the tamer version.

Still shouldn't say either one though.

dc89

Wtf.
He's a proper cunt.
This should be the final straw but it won't be.

On a serious level the guy has enough money to seek the best professional help for his issue. He should seriously consider doing that.

It's meant to be offensive and derogatory in the same way yes. That word is meant to be an equivalent response to the offensive use of the N word. Just because it doesn't have the same history doesn't mean it's not meant to be used in the same way.

Oh my god you are serious.

This guy thinks he's some rebel or some shit. I wouldn't mind seeing YouTube and Twitch completely pull the plug on him. This isn't needed in the gamer community and the world at large. There's tons of quality streamers out there. We don't need him.

I don't think they are willing to take the ire of his subscribers for something that didn't even happen inside their game.

Which makes them cowards and enablers of racism, and therefore worthy of condemnation and boycotting.

Don't support racism, or those with the power to combat it but won't.

mreddie

"Boys will be boys."

He's just gonna keep doing this is he?

Keep listening in the first one, he says it the second time. The second and third examples are two different timestamps in the same video.

Ah ok, thanks for clarifying, I'm mobile at the moment so no timestamps.

But still. This thread is very questionable because of the first example and in the fourth, if you will, he only says "nib" and then he almost slip up, but still a thread about that? Too much.

Pewds is an idiot, but he's not some KKK nazi. Some people are overreacting to it just because he's celebrity N.1 on Youtube. And some people seem more concerned with other people using "the N word" than with racists themselves.

I get your point but the fact that he is the number 1 youtuber is VERY relevant. If it was some random guy then it wouldn't be too big a deal, but this is a guy who is inspiring thousands of people to defend his actions (just look at twitter or even on here).

His influence has a huge impact and when he said this word making out it's not a big deal, he teaches alot of people it's okay to say the word and anyone who is against saying the word is being 'sensitive'.

You do not understand the basics of systemic oppression and why racism towards blacks specifically by whites is incredibly worse than the vice versa. There are LITERAL NAZIS IN THE WHITE HOUSE and youre over here going "b-but us poor whites!"

I don't remember Trump shouting Sieg Heil or giving a Nazi salute, regardless of how incompetent of a President he is.

joms5

If it was, you wouldn't have spelled out cracka and then written 'N word'. The n-word has a context of subjugation, of murder, of slavery, it has hundreds of years of oppressive history that its users are trying to evoke.

I think the reason why he spelled one out and used a letter in place of the other is because saying "cracka" doesn't get you banned around here. While saying you know what, would.

Post #3 says it all.

But let's not play the "this is worse than the other game...". People should be respectful period. End of discussion.

rpmurphy

I think the guy is just trying to steal some black swag, like the pathetic guy from The Wire: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82Jg-Omwmo4

He just isn't aware all the time of how bad that sounds to americans due to the extreme political correctness wave regarding some words.

Pewds is an idiot, but he's not some KKK nazi. Some people are overreacting to it just because he's celebrity N.1 on Youtube. And some people seem more concerned with other people using "the N word" than with racists themselves.

Louis CK
Offended by the "N word"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dF1NUposXVQ
Hello fellow gaming community member, how about we get rid of all that racist shit out of video game culture, period?

Backlogger

He looks like a tool, sounds like a tool, has a tool screen name (Pewdiepie).

The fact that he is an ignorant or racist or both is not surprising to me and shouldn't be to anyone else.

I love it when people try to pass things off as it just slipped out, I never use that word. I just don't see how such claims could be true.

Same for Jonah Hill who used anti-gay slurs. People were way too soft on him because they see him as being on the same "team" but people don't just use those words randomly.

Its definitely part of their regular vocab and shows their true colors.

This argument is stupid. It doesn't have the same history. Whites weren't oppressed. That doesn't mean that right here, today, it's not meant to be offensive and harmful. It's racist language full stop. You can't argue against that.

It's also irrelevant which racist word is more offensive. Racist is still racist.

When you equate a word used by white people against a race they tortured, enslaved, and robbed the culture of to a fucking word created to fire back against that oppression, youre the bad take.

As many people have pointed out, one word is usually censored but not the other. This should tell people enough.

At least, gaming side isn't as bad as gamefaqs. I am thankful to the mods for that.

I'm in no way defending the racist jerk, but watching the video this seems like an extremely deliberate 'mistake' on his part. ("Nev" is a weird way to start whatever slur he was going for.) He knows his audience and is catering to them in a vaguely deniable way.

LotusHD

Banned
But still. This thread is very questionable because of the first example and in the fourth, if you will, he only says "nib" and then he almost slip up, but still a thread about that? Too much.

Not when people are wondering why this guy can so casually say the word. Because as we're continuing to see, that shit is just a part of his vocabulary.

jacobeid

Banned
This argument is stupid. It doesn't have the same history. Whites weren't oppressed. That doesn't mean that right here, today, it's not meant to be offensive and harmful. It's racist language full stop. You can't argue against that.

BRUHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Stop.

Orb

I think the reason why he spelled one out and used a letter in place of the other is because saying "cracka" doesn't get you banned around here. While saying you know what, would.

Post #3 says it all.

But let's not play the "this is worse than the other game...". People should be respectful period. End of discussion.
Why do you think that is. Its because it is worse. White people are STILL oppressors. You cant be racist against your oppressor

I don't remember Trump shouting Sieg Heil or giving a Nazi salute, regardless of how incompetent of a President he is.

Nah he didn't, all he said was there were some good people at a rally where white people were waving Nazi, Confederate, and Kekistan flags all chanting "Jews will not replace us" and "Blood and soil".

Hip Hop

As many people have pointed out, one word is usually censored but not the other. This should tell people enough.

At least, gaming side isn't as bad as gamefaqs. I am thankful to the mods for that.

That still doesnt mean anything.

No on the same level, but both are still bad.

PillarEN

This thread title is the Hillary Clinton 2016 President Celebration Party of thread titles. So close and yet not quite.

It's because those white moderates are accepting his behavior so he'll continue doing it. And this is why we have the issues we have today

Using "cracka" obviously isn't as bad as using the N word. Never will be. Does it make it okay? Not really, no. Can't really point that out without getting shit for it though.

It's just a coincidence Trump ran on platform of white supremacy and xenophobia with the backing, approval and endorsement of far right groups like the KKK.

Totes not a white supremacist.

It's also irrelevant which racist word is more offensive. Racist is still racist.

You said 'equivalent response', so it was relevant to you earlier. You also said 'it's the same thing as using the n-word'. Get out of here with this revisionist history bullshit.

Mechazawa

You are fucking delusional.

It's origin isn't racist, it's a classist term that rich whites called poor whites.

MUnited83

For you.
Perhaps, but the terms don't actually say anything about that, it just lays out the behavior required while playing. I would think using racial slurs over PUBG gameplay would qualify.
The terms talk about in-game behaviour, which off-game commentary doesn't really count as.

thumb

Banned
Same for Jonah Hill who used anti-gay slurs. People were way too soft on him because they see him as being on the same "team" but people don't just use those words randomly.

He also went on national television and gave what I recall to be an intense, emotional, and genuine apology. And then he never did it again (AFAIK).

Irnbru

Holy fucking shit, you are actually serious about this, you are equating the n word to cracka. Jfc get me off this train

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom