• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pewdiepie just can't help himself with the N word...the 4th time

Status
Not open for further replies.

L Thammy

This is admittedly tangential, but this stupid Urban Dictionary reminds me of why the phrase "reverse racism" bugs me. In every case I've seen it, "reverse racism" is used to describe racism against whites. So if that's reversed, what does that make racism by whites?

The unstated idea, as far as I can tell, is that racism coming from whites is the normal and natural state of things, and that reverse racism is "reverse" because it's going against the usual flow.

So when I look at that Urban Dictionary description LizardKing posted:

A term used to insult white people. Has become more popular recently as the opposite of nigger.

I can't help thinking that's saying that same thing. It's the opposite because it reverses the natural flow of racism.

Oh for the love of.....

tumblr_inline_nysxsot2Ht1tvyhqz_500.gif

JCizzle

"It's just a word! He's just quoting an Internet meme" says the PewDiePie fan's burner account, as I bash my face repeatedly against the wall
As a white person, I've never understood certain white people's obsession with being allowed to say it. It's fucking weird. Just don't say it, ever. It's really not hard. As these same damn people say, it's just a word. Don't use it - nobody is asking you to stop drinking water or some shit.

Don't get me wrong, pdp is a racist piece of shit, but OP is intentionally misleading with that title.

"PDP nearly says N-word a 4th time, laughs it off."

Just as outrage inducing, and doesn't incorrectly imply he actually said it.

The dude wants to say "my nigga" which is the N word, just not the hard R. It's all still about the N word, variants, code words, soft N words and the hard R. It's all the same issue.

They probably want to know what's wrong about hating a racist? Just a guess, please let us know.

People shouldn't hate anybody honestly, but that's just my opinion. If we go by history standard there will always be hatred from all sides don't you agree?

It sounds like he doesn't want to get caught saying it again because someone has told him it's a naughty word, not because he realises what's so wrong about it.

Enzom21

He's one of the Emmett Till people, oh man...

EDIT:

Downplayed the stuff in that racist stuff you encounter in games thread today as well...

Yea like wtf

What? Censor it how, the video's right there, he nearly said it.
Yeah, LizardKing clearly doesn't think racism is an issue... unless someone says cracka.

Orb

As a white person, I've never understood certain white people's obsession with being allowed to say it. It's fucking weird. Just don't say it, ever. It's really not hard. As these same damn people say, it's just a word. Don't use it - nobody is asking you to stop drinking water or some shit.
The sense of entitlement white people have is shockingly through the roof and they dont like being told they cant say something.

L Thammy

I mentioned how sad it is. I'm aware. What is your point?

This is what you said.

Why did this need a thread? Why are you giving a known racist more exposure?

Do you honestly think that the NeoGAF thread is going to make PewDiePie more popular than he is? It's better to call out his statements, because tons of people will know him regardless of what we do, and people (like the alt-right people PDP's been cozying up with lately) on other sites will pick him up.

If you kill this thread, you are not giving him less visibility, you are giving him less criticism. It's not like Darksydephil where the guy's in the process of dying in obscurity.

kikiribu

He got flack for it, apologized, and we moved on.
Who moved on? You? You think obvious af racism is something you just apologize for and move on, and think people shouldn't remember and hold it against you because "oh but I said sorry"?

It's hate speech. It's not like he just farted and apologized. He's using a word that he shouldn't be using at all.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
He got flack for it, apologized, and we moved on.

So until he does it again,

nothing should happen.

So what should happen if he does it again?

Rape Jokes

"He apologized"

Holocaust jokes

"He apologized"

Blatant racism

"He apologized"

Let's just move on though shall we?

luulubuu

This thread

Diet racist - Can I tell you something?
yeah totally
tumblr_oi07bmdlcL1u9u02so2_500.gif

Ok and why is this on the gaming side?

Because he is a gaming figure with millions of subscribers possibly kids who will watchi it and normalize this shit? I always see your whinning posts about this, this concerns gaming you like it or not.

If you are not going to collaborate with the thread, why are you even here?

I mean, this is under the assumption that poster was even black.
True, to be fair the only times I ever hear the word are
1) Black characters in movies/TV shows talking to/about white chars, or
2) in context of food
The entire debate is lost on me somewhat, though i think if it targets certain demographics then its best to leave it out of online discussions since a lot gets lost in translation so to speak

Pewdiepie's use of the n-word with the r at the end of it probably does a lot more damage than people think. Even with the "apology", the damage was done.

Orb

People shouldn't hate anybody honestly, but that's just my opinion. If we go by history standard there will always be hatred from all sides don't you agree?
Only one side has unwarranted and bigoted hate. Everyone else is trying to survive. Theres no "both sides"

So you equate "cracka" with the "n word" and also say this.

Alright, then.
I love that pewdiepie of all things is the hill to die on

L Thammy

So what should happen if he does it again?

Rape Jokes

"He apologized"

Holocaust jokes

"He apologized"

Blatant racism

"He apologized"

Let's just move on though shall we?

Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, “Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother who sins against me? Up to seven times?” Jesus answered, “I tell you, not just seven times, but seventy-seven times! But only for racism and sexism and shit, otherwise they can get fucked."

Dice//

Banned
I know pewdiepie is a sack of racist garbage, but that's still a slur man.

I'd feel nothing about being called a cracker (or the maybe more offensive version "cracka").
I don't think I've really experienced a lot of hate for the colour of my skin, and if so then I sure haven't seen it at any level even CLOSE to what other coloured peoples have experienced.

That said, hey I'd hope people wouldn't make a thing of it because of lax attitudes like mine. But again, I don't 'feel down' hearing it.

Mael

Glad to see that my assertion about this racist dbag was right the 1st time we had a thread about the nazi lover.
Also until proven contrary I guess gaming is still synonymous with racist edgelord online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom