• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Peyton Manning is a pretty big piece of shit: A Shaun King expose for NY Daily News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karkador

Banned
It's pretty dumb to wonder why Manning isn't being hauled over the coals for something that happened 20 years ago in college.

Sandusky's crimes happened about 20 years ago, too, and in a similar setting of college football programs looking the other way.

Don't mistake that with saying "Manning is the same as Sandusky"; the point is that you probably do have to wait 20 years before the sports culture of this country will even let you bring up allegations like this.

entremet

They said that about the HR era in Baseball as well. When it rains it pours. It'll come eventually.

Its a bit different since these guys are literally bashing their brains in.

Not to that extent of course, but some of the pictures of him hanging on girls and of course the rest of the stories, all while engaged at the time, doesn't exactly paint a pretty picture.

Allegedly cheating versus sexual assault is a huge leap, though.

Moreover, as you said, stories. That's not verifiable as Peyton's issues were.

Xyrmellon

This already broke the week of the game. It was described as "teabagging" and college hijinks. Nobody cared.

While I think at the time more should have been done and it not pushed under the rug, I think King is going way out of his way to make it racial, and only because of the tough time Cam got.

Peyton has always seemed like a self-absorbed douchebag, but for some reason if you're white and wrap yourself in a "aw shucks, I'm just a good ol' country boy" facade, the media will ignore it and fellatio you if you're an athlete.

Beach

High level sports players get off scandals all the time. There was a Giants DT who just cleared off a rape case yesterday and no one cares.

It's the way of life

THRILLH0

Banned
But Cam Newton was pouting after a game he lost in heartbreaking fashion.

Pouting

If people are still writing about that in 20 years you'll have a point.

Why are people expecting this incident to be covered to the same extent as Cam's behaviour over the past 6 months?

Very little of what I've read about Cam the last few weeks focused on stealing laptops and taking money.

Trey

Weird defense trying to blame it on black guys who weren't even there, then trying to smear her after the fact and after signing an nda.

I literally moved to where nobody could see my computer screen.

lol, Shaun king is such a goober.

Dude Abides

Banned
I'm confused. Did Manning sign the confidentiality agreement? If it was part of her severance package, which is what it sounds like, that seems doubtful.

Edit: this is just a paraphrase of Nauthright's lawyers brief? Lol. Shaun King is kind of a hack, eh?

Sports athlete has done terrible and awful things...why are people surprised by this? While I do feel sorry for the woman, writer seems like he's got an axe or two to grind.

Jay Sosa

Not to that extent of course, but some of the pictures of him hanging on girls and of course the rest of the stories, all while engaged at the time, doesn't exactly paint a pretty picture.

Oh no, a man taking advantage of every girl wanting to fuck him? What a monster!

It's pretty dumb to wonder why Manning isn't being hauled over the coals for something that happened 20 years ago in college.

If people are still talking about Cam stealing laptops at the end of his career you might have a point.

It was awful and inexcusable, no doubt. But all of the evidence points to Manning having matured and conducting himself with class throughout his entire professional career. Something which can't really be said for Cam to this point.

I can't agree with any of this. Was Manning ever hauled over the coals for this? Has he not had other incidents of shitty behavior that were glossed over most recently the fact that he sent thugs who misrepresented themselves to intimidate that pharmaceutical employee? You really think that people will stop talking about Cam's laptop incident ever?

I'm not really a fan of this kind of tit for tat reporting to contrast Manning and Newton's treatment but trying act like there isn't a foundation for it is disingenuous .

Juicy Bob

This is weird. I've followed the NFL from Europe more than I follow soccer but even I didn't know about the incident until just after he broke the yards record against the Chiefs and was benched. It turned me totally off him and was why I wanted Newton and the Panthers to beat him last weekend.

What's crazy is that only now are a lot of people actually starting to hear about this for the first time and how it's shattering a lot of people's perceptions of him, just like it did mine.

They said that about the HR era in Baseball as well. When it rains it pours. It'll come eventually.
The media narrative of PEDs in baseball vs that in football is like night and day. CTE and domestic violence are way more egregious issues than PED use and most of the NFL fanbase don't give a shit about those either.

That 74 page court document is a doozy!
It claims Archie Manning tried to throw shade at this Dr.Naughtright by claiming she had an "unbelievable (foul) mouth" possibly because she "hung around black guys" which he conceded he thought was a knock against her character.
Basically the Mannings tried to portray Naughrright as a crude, foul mouthed woman who acted like "one of the guys", so Payton thought she would have been game for a "joke."

p2535748

This has been well known for a while.

It's known in certain circles of people who follow the NFL, but I don't think it's generally well known.

Also, the alleged smear campaign is new to me. I had heard about the assault, but the stuff king alleged about the Manning's efforts to destroy the victim's reputation is not something I had heard before.

With regard to the fact that this is all gleaned from the victim's lawyer's statement, that's a good thing to note and keep in mind, but it doesn't mean we should all just ignore this. There are quotes from people involved in there, and very specific allegations. Someone should take a look into it and see what can be corroborated (or not)

With regard to the fact that this is all gleaned from the victim's lawyer's statement, that's a good thing to note and keep in mind, but it doesn't mean we should all just ignore this. There are quotes from people involved in there, and very specific allegations. Someone should take a look into it and see what can be corroborated (or not)

Far easier to just summarize and opine on an existing document than to do actual leg work to see what aspects of the allegations are true or false, if that is even discernibletwo decades later.

Brinbe

This shit isn't exactly a secret, read plenty of ppl talking about it before the super bowl. He's a piece of shit though for his reaction it over the years, especially in his book.

Here's an article all about it from Feb 2nd
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/02/01/peyton-s-manning-s-forgotten-sex-scandal.html

But Manning needed to have the final word. In the book he co-wrote with his father, Archie, and a ghostwriter, Manning: A Father, His Sons, and a Football Legacy, though he described his actions as “inappropriate,” he felt Naughright should have laughed off the up-close display of his rump and should have viewed it as “Crude, maybe, but harmless.” Manning also felt the need to call her a “vulgar woman,” swore that he was actually mooning a fellow teammate, not Naughright, and said that all of this unpleasantness could have been avoided were it not for the destruction of male-only spaces.

“Never mind that women in the men’s locker room is one of the most misbegotten concessions to equal rights ever made,” Manning wrote. “When Dad played, there was still at least a tacit acknowledgment that women and men are two different sexes, with all that implies, and a certain amount of decorum had to be maintained. Meaning when it came to training rooms and shower stalls, the opposite sex was not allowed. Common sense tells you why.”

Malcolm Saxon, a track and field athlete who was in the room during the incident, wrote a letter to Manning to say that no, he was not the intended moon-ee (as Manning had written in his book), imploring him to “maintain some dignity and admit to what happened… Your celebrity doesn’t mean you can treat folks that way… Do the right thing here.”

Shaun King is too fired up about Peyton and he has baggage his own damn self, so however legitimate the story is, if his name is attached to it, it will always be about King and his shit.
The story absolutely deserves a follow up on the allegations in the court documents but from someone other than Shaun King.
Trouble is, I feel like Shaun King is probably one of a handful of reporters who would follow this up. Why the hell has this sat dormant for 13 years? If Donovan Mcnabb had a report like this out on him it sure as fuck wouldnt have sat dormant and been ignored.

Chiggs

Gold Member
This "story" is close to 15 years old and has been dusted off just in time for a nice smearing of Peyton before he retires. Also, the article is incredibly biased and--OH LOOK IT'S THE NY DAILY NEWS.

See you later.

Edit: On second thought, I'd like to watch the dipshit parade continue to act as if this 74 page document wasn't prepared by a team of lawyers looking to take the Manning family to the cleaners. AMERIKKKA!!!!

Arkeband

Banned
This "story" is close to 15 years old and has been dusted off just in time for a nice smearing of Peyton before he retiresd. Also, the article is incredibly biased and--OH LOOK IT'S THE NY DAILY NEWS.

See you later.

Edit: On second thought, I'd like to watch the dipshit parade continue to act as if this 74 page document wasn't prepared by a team of lawyers looking to take the Manning family to the cleaners. AMERIKKKA!!!!

Someone here sure loves a football player.

This keeps coming out and it keeps getting ignored. Now that he's probably retiring, I don't think anything will be done about it.

Cagey

Banned
You know you're reading the work of an amateurish hack when the author trumpets a plaintiff's brief as gospel like this author does.

I'm confused. Did Manning sign the confidentiality agreement? If it was part of her severance package, which is what it sounds like, that seems doubtful.

Edit: this is just a paraphrase of Nauthright's lawyers brief? Lol. Shaun King is kind of a hack, eh?
Given the reactions here it's no wonder why this sort of reporting works: dressed up as a news article, people interpret the facts of the story as facts rather than the damn statements of a plaintiffs lawyer.

Though as I've had it hilariously told to me before, this very post and the two above are merely whitesplaining and obscuring the truth.

He's likely an asshole and I don't doubt the story for a second given its followed him for two decades without much refutation, but this sort of reporting and interpretation of the story without appreciating what citing a plaintiffs brief really means annoys me.

rjc571

Banned

If people are still talking about Cam stealing laptops at the end of his career you might have a point.

It was awful and inexcusable, no doubt. But all of the evidence points to Manning having matured and conducting himself with class throughout his entire professional career. Something which can't really be said for Cam to this point.

Sending "private investigators" to someone's house to intimidate their family after they inadvertently outed you as a user of illegal PEDs sure is a classy, mature thing to do.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Someone here sure loves a football player.

Maybe so, but at least I can see this for what it is: a very old and dubious story which is being presented as fact because of a 74 page document that was created by the plaintiff's lawyers. All of this just in time for Manning's retirement.

And it's the New York Daily News.

But, hey, care to direct that razor sharp wit of yours at the OP, since he has no problem saying shit like this:

So basically, the Captain America of the NFL (King's comparison, not mine) is basically a misogynist racist sexual abuser who has no problems throwing women and black men under the bus for his own personal gain. But please, read the full story for all the context.

I never liked this fucking guy.

gogosox82

Well that definitely doesn't sound good but there are a couple of things to keep in mind.

One, this is a fact of the case meaning that this is her version of the case presented to the court via her lawyers. So we really don't have the whole story since we do not have Peyton's side of the story.

Second, there was an incident from 1994 between them that's not in this document because its redacted and not public. Who knows what happened in that incident but it might link to this incident.

I also find it weird that the author is just totally siding with her version of events. I mean, it doesn't appear like he checked to see if there's a version of Manning's side. He mostly just relied on her side to recount his version of things which may or may not be accurate. He doesn't seem to be giving Manning any benefit of the doubt here which makes me trust his writing less tbh.

I hope he (or someone else) follows up on this and figures out what exactly happened because what happened to her is wrong and shouldn't have happened.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
This "story" is close to 15 years old and has been dusted off just in time for a nice smearing of Peyton before he retires. Also, the article is incredibly biased and--OH LOOK IT'S THE NY DAILY NEWS.

See you later.

Exactly, there is nothing new at all in this article. Hilariously transparent with the timing as well.

Sending "private investigators" to someone's house to intimidate their family after they inadvertently outed you as a user of illegal PEDs sure is a classy, mature thing to do.

If you have resources, why on earth would you not hire a pi to check out details of the story and see what counter narrative you could use as a response once the main piece hits?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom