• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantom Squad threatens to take down PSN and Xbox Live this Christmas

Mendrox

I guess I won't even notice because of Xenoblade Chronicles X.

But imo you need guys like these and if they can easily fuck this up again... what do you pay them money for? (; It sucks that they want to this on Christmas though, but it will be effective.

Skele7on

Banned
THAT FUCKING SEGMA KID.

All he does is steal content from other youtubers and pass it off as his own.

Well seeing him has ruined my morning.

Also these are no hackers they're the bottom feeders of hackers the ddos bunnies.

just gonna download SP games I can play offline but seriously doubt they'll do it.

Also publicising these people only gives them a stage, ignore em like their parents do and they'll move on.

Lol, I am pretty sure I know more about how the Internet works, from routing protocols to TCP/IP, from the physical layer modulation standards to application implementation, than you do. So don't be condescending, you are beyond your reckoning.

It would be trivial to implement routing which only directs popular networks to home users, and I can guarantee that 99% of Internet users wouldn't give a shit.
Are you one of the elite hackers?

For fuck's sake. I'm the most anti-corporation guy you'll ever find and I still find this beyond shameful and pointless. Particularly as they'll screw people trying to gift games to others.

Klart

I sure hope these kids/adults realise that this is nog going to end well for themselves and their family.

You know, arrests, jail sentences, fines & considerable reimbursements that their parents may pay.

Laws00

Can I have a nice Christmas and play some video games online that doesn't involve playing my Wii U or using the PC?

grimmiq

Shitty thing to do again, but I'm prepared for it this year. Looking forward to arrest announcements in the future.

Roscoe182

ohh joy.

so the kids who use an army of bots to flood a network think they are doing us a favor?

as far as i understand there really is no way to stop DDOS attacks due to the way the internet is built. all you can do is try to spread the load.

so im unsure what they actually think they are accomplishing.

SarusGray

I guess I won't even notice because of Xenoblade Chronicles X.

But imo you need guys like these and if they can easily fuck this up again... what do you pay them money for? (; It sucks that they want to this on Christmas though, but it will be effective.

They're basically forcing us to spend time with our family. UGH...

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I feel especially bad for the kids that get the Battlefront bundle, and can't even enjoy it. Especially if it's their big present, with few other games.

But douchebags unhappy with their miserable lives, like to bring others down to their level.

Stuart444

Mr Dotcom said if the online games were hacked it would entirely be the tech company's fault as they had been given plenty of time to prepare for a repeat attack.

I'm not sure what any of this has to do with 'hacking' lol.

Also this whole thing is pathetic. But thanks for the warning I guess? Hope these guys get caught. :/

Ugh were getting the house an xbone for Christmas, Guess I'll be opening it this weekend and getting it updated and the kiddos copy of Minecraft all setup. I couldn't give him a gift that wont work like that.

Sky87

DDOSING Xbox Live to stay down for more than a few hours is easier said than done. PSN has been far more vulnerable though, so i'm not surprised if we'll see a few days downtime there.

Still, won't be near a week. And these guys aren't hackers. Hackers have actual skills when it comes to this, these guys probably don't even do the work themselves.

Wil348

Tbh I'll believe it when I see it. There were so many fake 'hackers' around last year saying that they would take services down. Lizard Squad was the only real one.

This is probably just a scare tactic, after what happened to LS I don't think anyone would be stupid enough to try it again.

Skele7on

Banned
Tbh I'll believe it when I see it. There were so many fake 'hackers' around last year saying that they would take services down. Lizard Squad was the only real one.

This is probably just a scare tactic, after what happened to LS I don't think anyone would be stupid enough to try it again.

Nothing happened to them though.

Also actually read their twitter, shit is hilarious, I'm taking a bigggg ol bet that this christmas services will be fine.

If DJ Khaled can figure it out Sony and MS have no excuses
wg5P7W2.jpg

Is this real? lol

Sorcerer

So why does Nintendo not get attacked by these groups as often?

I've always found that so odd.

I can't imagine the Bandwidth being bigger than what Microsoft can provide.

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

Green Yoshi

I have no idea if this particular threat is real, but I expected PSN and Live to be down over Christmas anyway.

Just let me set up my new PS4 and download the Witcher 3 patch this weekend. ^^

must remember to get my kid's games updated ect before they get wrapped up...hopefully it won't come to pass but i won't count on it.

JobenNC

I'll be too busy Xenoblading. Pretty sure they could disrupt that online by having two people aggressively favorite squad posts.

Theorry

I always think. If they need to do it. Do it at Christmas time. Got no time to play then really.
Would mind it more if they did it on a normal saturday when i only got free time after a week of work.

Beefy

I always think. If they need to do it. Do it at Christmas time. Got no time to play then really.
Would mind it more if they did it on a normal saturday when i only got free time after a week of work.

Doing it at xmas time is also easier for them.

Jacknapes

Seriously, again. Sony and Microsoft can't do a lot about DDOS attacks, so i don't really understand what the likes of these so called "hackers" hope to achieve. Except stop people from accessing these services. I've got a few games i'm hoping to play over the Christmas period, 1 of them being Witcher 3 so i don't think i'll notice.

I like how this assholes lack originality to even come up with unique name. After Lizard Squad they just seem like copycats and fangirls looking for attention copying their idol, even coming up with similar name.

StoneFox

The servers are gonna go down due to the influx of new people and these kids are gonna jump online and go "See!? See?! That was US!!" :p

Top Bottom