• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: announcement this week

Shin-Ra

AI is being trained through our data. Companies will be profiting assloads off of what essentially is us as the resource (they already do). Think about it. We are the Tiberium.
You saw the NVIDIA AI thread.
You can feed it YouTube videos and your own documents
Good Bye No GIF

XXL

Back to topic please
Always Sunny Fx GIF
Sure.

A year later they brought everything to PC same day as Xbox.

Discuss.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
I have a feeling I am going to sleep during the podcast.

I am no longer expecting any new meltdown. Kinda sucks.

Fuck you Phill. Even in meltdown you can't fucking deliver.

You better bring halo infinite to ps5 shadow drop after the podcast.

I want sea of tears god damn it.
Just mentioning they’re going multiplatform will piss off those still in denial.

And there’s a lot of intricacies we still don’t know about, like what happens to the Series consoles, will GamePass remove day 1 games, will back catalogs work on the new systems, are the new systems GamePass only devices etc

Last edited:

TrippleA345

Sure.

Discuss.
Always Sunny Reaction GIF

yayayaya good and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is coming with a Steel Book Edition to PS4/5.

• LOL
Reactions: XXL

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Sure.

Discuss.

This is why I'm so shocked that some Xbox gamers seem to think what's announced tomorrow is the end of the story. IT CLEARLY ISN'T! They wouldn't do a business changing podcast with the 3 biggest Xbox execs if it was just 3 medium sized games coming to PS5.

Reactions: XXL

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
The key answer would then be that Microsoft builds a better console than Playstation that plays games at a higher fidelity and framerate, with a better featureset, for the same price as Playstation.

Why would this system in the bolded cost the same price as a PS5? Especially if it's a handheld..............

laynelane

What is with this need to make non-Xbox ecosystems "count" as an Xbox ecosystem?

This may be part of it:

"Xbox is a community of players, so it's important to build a community of players across a variety of platforms, which gives the community and the brand even more strength. Just as we think of ROG Ally and Steam Deck as part of the Xbox community, we need to think of the many Nintendo Switch and PlayStation users as part of the Xbox community in the future." - Phil Spencer, Famitsu interview

Other than that, optics is all I got.

Still not convinced it'll be anything more than small titles.

You wouldn't need the top three together to announce small titles. If anything it's more about a fundamental change in strategy than anything else. It's obviously not something for gamers others they would be hyping it up like a direct type of event. Plus adding trailers and celebrating upcoming titles.

John was unbearable I really don't understand why certain content creators feel the need to shit on Sony when things go bad for Xbox

He's called this generation really poorly and his livelihood is largely at stake.

These guys are big mad.

The idea that Sony hasn't earned their success this generation ignores everything they did in the previous generation. It ignores that they nailed the supply chain issues really quickly. They nailed the price vs value debate. They cemented partnerships with 3rd parties. They've built up their internal studios in a cost effective manner.

The idea that Sony hasn't done anything this generation to be successful is laughable as if this stuff is just automatic.

Spider-Man 2 could have been a bomb. God of War Ragnarok could have been a bomb. GT7 is the most popular GT game since like GT5. Could have bombed like Forza Motorsport.

They've managed responsibly their expansion into PC without detracting from their own ecosystem... I could go on and on...

He's called this generation really poorly and his livelihood is largely at stake.

These guys are big mad.

The idea that Sony hasn't earned their success this generation ignores everything they did in the previous generation. It ignores that they nailed the supply chain issues really quickly. They nailed the price vs value debate. They cemented partnerships with 3rd parties. They've built up their internal studios in a cost effective manner.

The idea that Sony hasn't done anything this generation to be successful is laughable as if this stuff is just automatic.

Spider-Man 2 could have been a bomb. God of War Ragnarok could have been a bomb. GT7 is the most popular GT game since like GT5. Could have bombed like Forza Motorsport.

They've managed responsibly their expansion into PC without detracting from their own ecosystem... I could go on and on...

Yeah, John seems to be speaking about his own personal interests with maybe quirkier games, but to be honest those games still do exist we've had quite a few of them. Yeah, they are double downing on AAA games but why is that such a bad thing? Consumers like it and it rates well. Reality is that it's hard to fund a Last Guardian type game anymore that's not a big seller with huge production values, sadly. But that doesn't make the generation bad. It's objectively been way better than any system other than PS2.

Yeah, John seems to be speaking about his own personal interests with maybe quirkier games, but to be honest those games still do exist we've had quite a few of them. Yeah, they are double downing on AAA games but why is that such a bad thing? Consumers like it and it rates well. Reality is that it's hard to fund a Last Guardian type game anymore that's not a big seller with huge production values, sadly. But that doesn't make the generation bad. It's objectively been way better than any system other than PS2.

Quirky games aren't what sell consoles in large numbers. If that is his barometer for effort and strategy, he needs to just go away.

Sony has made EXCELLENT choices year and and year out and credit needs to go to Jim and co for that. Look at MLB the show. They could have shrunk at MLBs demand that it go multiplatform and called it quits. Instead they kept the license and let it release on Xbox. It's one of the biggest games year in and year out. That's operating income and profit in Sony's hands every year.

They looked at ways to differentiate themselves whether it be haptic controllers, PSVR2, PS Portal, 3D Audio and they marketed these things, not to mention the focus on the SSD.

They took a risk with the internal ssd rather than a plug and play solution. Got roiled for it and it turned out to be the obviously right decision, but only obvious to some after the fact.

They bought a slew of small studios: Nixxes (who let them ramp up into PC and improve their margins on games), Bluepoint, Housemarque, Firewalk, Haven, Firesprite. In the long run these will ensure a steady pace of game releases in years to come.

As I mentioned before, they got their big flagship games out. Where is Fable, Perfect Dark, or Gears of War? Forza and Halo stunk things up.

They refused calls to go day and date on PS+ despite the pressure to do so and the impact that would have had on their development cycle.

They've established PlayStation Productions to expand the reach of their IP successfully compared to Halo TV. They've matched this with a strategy to remake and remaster a slew of games to maximize their popularity. Again, not luck.

They've so far been successful with their Live Games push with Helldivers, which was 8 years in the making.

They didn't get sidetracked with a Vita 2 at the wrong time, when it could have been really easy to do so.

Edit: Let's not forget that their games are really successful globally which is why the PlayStation is successful globally because they do a really good job of localization and reaching a multitude of markets, not just the US, UK, Australia, and Japan.

Again, I could go on and on here with their good decision making.

At the end of the day fuck John Linneman, he's such a moron.

Last edited:
Ehhh no. They have let this smolder for too long to be forgiven/ forgotten.

No updates, not 1 tiny bit of info to ease the masses. They simple sewed their mouthes shut and watched the internet fight from the sidelines.
That is NOT a way to treat your (future) userbase. Not by a BIG margin.

It's obvious that Xbox isnt for the players. Its for the payers (shareholders)

The whole we've been listening, we hear you thing.... Yeah choke on it Phil. You outright lying little shit!
No, business will never return to normal for Xbox. And rightfully so. They commited corporate suicide.

Anyone defending this business practise and thinking it will blow over should go see a damn therapist

Yeah you're probably right. What a mess.

ArcaneNLSC

This is why I'm so shocked that some Xbox gamers seem to think what's announced tomorrow is the end of the story. IT CLEARLY ISN'T! They wouldn't do a business changing podcast with the 3 biggest Xbox execs if it was just 3 medium sized games coming to PS5.

Exactly if it was just the 3 medium tier games you'd send Aaron Greenturd out to do the dirty work

Ashamam

He sure didn't like being told by Richard that if MS were reacting by the minute to internet discourse that wouldn't be a good thing. They also treat the S as a fantastic cheap alternative generally rather than the defacto lead platform for Xbox with an intrinsic flaw. The last DF Direct was I think the first time I saw them admit that the S also shapes the X experience/scope besides having a memory issue. The memory thing annoys me because these guys evangelized the S from Day 1 despite it being obvious to anyone with a tech bent that the memory was a potential achilles heel the moment they announced the specs. I put it down to them being awed at the access MS gave them prior to release.

Conversely Sony hasn't given them special access and basically they appeared skeptical out of the gate for the various tech innovations in the PS5. Very little coverage and a lot of assumptions about Series X advantages that they have kind of had to quietly walk back over the last few years. But not with acknowledging that they made mistakes. I don't actually believe they have great insights into tech. They do into graphical presentation, but often when it comes to 'why' they don't actually provide an explanation and fall back on comparisons. Observable data rather than root cause. ie: they are journalists and not game devs. Obviously you might say, but they kind of sell themselves as having special insights.

They have very little competition in this space and its unfortunate. NXGamer is pretty good at times, but his output has dropped since being picked up by IGN, and that content isn't as good as his personal channel. He at least appears to have a grasp of the underlying developer issues and often makes an effort to demonstrate the principles in play.

He sure didn't like being told by Richard that if MS were reacting by the minute to internet discourse that wouldn't be a good thing. They also treat the S as a fantastic cheap alternative generally rather than the defacto lead platform for Xbox with an intrinsic flaw. The last DF Direct was I think the first time I saw them admit that the S also shapes the X experience/scope besides having a memory issue. The memory thing annoys me because these guys evangelized the S from Day 1 despite it being obvious to anyone with a tech bent that the memory was a potential achilles heel the moment they announced the specs. I put it down to them being awed at the access MS gave them prior to release.

Conversely Sony hasn't given them special access and basically they appeared skeptical out of the gate for the various tech innovations in the PS5. Very little coverage and a lot of assumptions about Series X advantages that they have kind of had to quietly walk back over the last few years. But not with acknowledging that they made mistakes. I don't actually believe they have great insights into tech. They do into graphical presentation, but often when it comes to 'why' they don't actually provide an explanation and fall back on comparisons. Observable data rather than root cause. ie: they are journalists and not game devs. Obviously you might say, but they kind of sell themselves as having special insights.

They have very little competition in this space and its unfortunate. NXGamer is pretty good at times, but his output has dropped since being picked up by IGN, and that content isn't as good as his personal channel. He at least appears to have a grasp of the underlying developer issues and often makes an effort to demonstrate the principles in play.

With the end of the console war this format they have is largely going to go away, so whether they have much competition doesn't really matter.

No one will care about PS5 vs PC or PS5 vs Switch 2. When it comes to PC it is so dependent on your build and the Switch 2 isn't going to be able to hang with the PS5 if it's a hybrid handheld that does turn off after 5 seconds.

Everyone including DF mentions a Microsoft handheld, but what's more likely and more likely to have success is actually a new PlayStation handheld that doesn't divide resources from developers.

The problem I think Switch 2 might have is the timing of things, but again, according to DF the timing of this is just about luck. They are journalists and not especially smart journalists, though the format of their programming would lead people to believe otherwise.

leizzra

Well I disagree and it would be better for everyone if people would learn more respect to one another. John in my opinion is the best from DF Crew, he produced good videos about some games and has really good knowledge. It doesn't mean he is always right I myself tend to disagree with him at times regarding technical stuff.

Still he has a point but it's more of a statement about industry as a whole. The PS5 is great but is lacking in software quantity and variety and 1st party output is dry for now. Sure they are trying to makeup for that with 3rd party but I think it's not enough. Maybe GaaS is partially to blame (which is on them) but also the way how big AAA games are now. I can't say that Sony isn't doing anything to resolve this situations but for now it's not enough. This is connected to the fact that they are making now mostly the same games (I don't mean that gameplay vise) - high quality, big in scope (open world or semi open worlds), long to beat (more then 20h).

So yeah I don't agree 100% with John statement but I think he is not wrong either. This is not the PS1 nad PS2 era where there were many 1st party and 3rd party exclusives, where we had many different games, many new IP's. But as I said it's the state of the industry so the balem is not only on Sony or Microsofty. Yet they are the part of the industry so they can make changes especially as a game consoles producers.

It's a large subject but my point is - why be so rude to the guy who is making good job and moreover he is doing it publicly.

Well I disagree and it would be better for everyone if people would learn more respect to one another. John in my opinion is the best from DF Crew, he produced good videos about some games and has really good knowledge. It doesn't mean he is always right I myself tend to disagree with him at times regarding technical stuff.

Still he has a point but it's more of a statement about industry as a whole. The PS5 is great but is lacking in software quantity and variety and 1st party output is dry for now. Sure they are trying to makeup for that with 3rd party but I think it's not enough. Maybe GaaS is partially to blame (which is on them) but also the way how big AAA games are now. I can't say that Sony isn't doing anything to resolve this situations but for now it's not enough. This is connected to the fact that they are making now mostly the same games (I don't mean that gameplay vise) - high quality, big in scope (open world or semi open worlds), long to beat (more then 20h).

So yeah I don't agree 100% with John statement but I think he is not wrong either. This is not the PS1 nad PS2 era where there were many 1st party and 3rd party exclusives, where we had many different games, many new IP's. But as I said it's the state of the industry so the balem is not only on Sony or Microsofty. Yet they are the part of the industry so they can make changes especially as a game consoles producers.

It's a large subject but my point is - why be so rude to the guy who is making good job and moreover he is doing it publicly.

There is no lack of software on PS5... it's a pure lie.

There are a lack of quirky japanese games published directly by SIE, sure, but that doesn't mean there is a lack of software.

Look at the AAA titles released between 2013 and 2017 and tell me there is a significant decrease in titles from Sony. It's just not true. If anything they've released more, especially ones from key franchises.

People are moving the goalposts and being objectively disingenuous.

Sony barely made AAA games on PS1 and PS2, so again, more bullshit. I'm rude because people are blatantly lying and some are doing so for pretty nefarious reasons.

Top Bottom