• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer reiterates all Scorpio games "will be playable on Xbox One "

cakely

In case there was any doubt, Xbox Scorpio is an Xbox One:

http://www.gamepur.com/news/26034-p...-demonstrable-difference-games-currently.html

IMO Xbox One Scorpio is Microsoft's version of the PS4 Pro and there is nothing wrong with that.

They are the same style of iterative consoles, marketed differently.

Yep, we knew this. We continue to know this.

So will Scorpio games be on different discs?

You just know someone will take this seriously.

STEaMkb

But Colin Moriarty insists that Scorpio is a new generation, unlike PS4 Pro.

And in terms of hardware, he is correct. PS4 Pro uses exactly the same chips as the base PS4. It has just enough extra umph to carry that experience over to a 4K television set. Scorpio hardware has nothing in common with Xbox One. Scorpio has:

* New graphics pipeline
* Brand new CPU
* Dissimilar RAM and memory subsystem
* Exclusive support for VR

PS4 pro is not just familiar in name and appearance - it also offers continuity under the hood, making it easier for devs. Scorpio is a wholly new console that is going to take a different approach, and require more development resoures, when developers tackle two different Xbox versions of the same game.

Sony

Nintendo
But they will look and run like

QeiOue.gif

I think people underestimate the power needed to run 1080p/30fps Xbox One games in 4k/60fps. The Xbox One is roughly 6 times more powerful than the 360, yet it really makes the machine work to run Halo 4 in 1080p/60fps. These machines, PS4 Pro and Scorpio, are meant to run current gen games at a higher res and framerate, and 6tf is barely enough for that.

The scenario you're describing is when a 1080p/30fps bells and whistles Scorpio game would be downported to Xbox One. Then you'll see a massive drop in quality.

And in terms of hardware, he is correct. PS4 Pro uses exactly the same chips as the base PS4. It has just enough extra umph to carry that experience over to a 4K television set. Scorpio hardware has nothing in common with Xbox One. Scorpio has:

* New graphics pipeline
* Brand new CPU

PS4 pro is not just familiar in name and appearance - it also offers continuity under the hood. Scorpio is a wholly new console that is going to take a different approach, and require more development resoures, when developers tackle two different Xbox versions of the same game.

New CPU? Says who? Also, did you ever consider that UWP needs to support a wide array of PC setups? The architectural differences between scorpio and Xbox One are hardly a factor of extra dev effort due to UWP.

Not quite sure why people think Scorpio means Xbox One immediately gets left behind when PS4 is still selling like hotcakes... Those two will remain the baseline for the foreseeable future.

singhr1

They are going to target Scorpion to make the game and scale the assets down just like any other PC game. This isn't anything new.

It absolutely is. It's going to be likely similar to PS4Pro, for the most part. PS4/XBO versions are made first and Pro versions get better resolution or performance. Most devs are not going to spend the extra time and money to perfect extra bells & whistles for a smaller platform and build 4 console SKUs of their game like it's a cross-generational game.

Scorpio won't be the baseline until the next Xbox hardware releases (2020 or 2021 or so). Then they'll likely phase out the Xbox One mandatory compatibility for all but the least demanding titles.

Amazingly, this is what MS promised last year at E3, and there are still those who refuse to believe it. It's a PS4 Pro with a little more overhead for 4k gaming and a UHD drive. That's it.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Scorpio won't be the baseline until the next Xbox hardware releases (2020 or 2021 or so). Then they'll likely phase out the Xbox One mandatory compatibility for all but the least demanding titles.

Amazingly, this is what MS promised last year at E3, and there are still those who refuse to believe it. It's a PS4 Pro with a little more overhead for 4k gaming and a UHD drive. That's it.

But yesterday a developer said "you can do things with it". Surely that means Zen is confirmed?

Kidding for those with broken sarcasm detectors

massucci

Banned

* New graphics pipeline
* Brand new CPU

PS4 pro is not just familiar in name and appearance - it also offers continuity under the hood, making it easier for devs. Scorpio is a wholly new console that is going to take a different approach, and require more development resoures, when developers tackle two different Xbox versions of the same game.
Where did you heard about a new brand cpu?

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
In a couple of years a next generation of console will be feasible. Scorpio can't compete with it.

Of course not. Then Scorpio 2 will be around.

I suspect Scorpio will be made powerful to be the base model for a few iterations. Xbox One as it is now will be gone by or before 2020. Most likely before. Even if it means checkerboarding/FP16/resolution dropping is used to get future games "playable" on Scorpio when a more powerful upgrade exists.

STEaMkb

Also, did you ever consider that UWP needs to support a wide array of PC setups? The architectural differences between scorpio and Xbox One are hardly a factor of extra dev effort due to UWP.

UWP has serious limitations in order to maintain compatability. On Xbox One for example, UWP developers do not have access to the lightening fast esRAM. That's a basic building block for all AAA games, yet it's off limits.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
Right. MS is not doing generations anymore. Just putting faster x86 into their hardware and sticking to windows 10 as their core.

Scorpio 2 will be an irritive console.

So will scorpio 3.

So will Scorpio 4.

Yeah. Microsoft has said this multiple times, but a lot of people here talk like there is going to be a true "sequel" to Xbox One.

Fuchsdh

... Halo coming to PC?

Given that HW2 is on PC simultaneously and Spencer had previously said all first-party games will be play anywhere... this has basically been a given for months now.

Of course, people will just bitch and moan that it's through their store and not a Steam release, but there's no pleasing players.

Venom.

Wasn't there a Phil Spencer quote from early last year that had him say there was no point in making a half step console? I will try and find it but if my memory is correct that means Phil Spencer has reacted to the business model of the PS4 Pro.

It absolutely is. It's going to be likely similar to PS4Pro, for the most part. PS4/XBO versions are made first and Pro versions get better resolution or performance. Most devs are not going to spend the extra time and money to perfect extra bells & whistles for a smaller platform and build 4 console SKUs of their game like it's a cross-generational game.
That's why you have to stop looking at it like a traditional console. It's console that runs Windows 10 and uses UWP. It's a PC. With any PC they are going to target the highest spec - 4K / Scorpio and scale down.

All because it is in a special case doesn't refute that it's a closed off PC.

massucci

Banned
I suspect Scorpio will be made powerful to be the base model for a few iterations. Xbox One as it is now will be gone by or before 2020. Most likely before. Even if it means checkerboarding/FP16/resolution dropping is used to get future games "playable" on Scorpio when a more powerful upgrade exists.
Not without a new cpu. Which not seems the case.

And are Scorpio 2 games going to work on XB1?

The Xbox One will be 7 years old at that point. It's highly unlikely.

However, One games should theoretically work on their next hardware after Scorpio. It's one of the bigger advantages of MS unifying their software environment.

Wasn't there a Phil Spencer quote from early last year that had him say there was no point in making a half step console? I will try and find it but if my memory is correct that means Phil Spencer has reacted to the business model of the PS4 Pro.

The "half step" shade was implying that the PS4 Pro isn't powerful enough to run most current gen games at 4k, while the Scorpio is.

They have never talked about the Scorpio having exclusive games, outside of VR, as it was established really early on that the One cannot run VR at acceptable fidelity.

Yeah. Microsoft has said this multiple times, but a lot of people here talk like there is going to be a true "sequel" to Xbox One.

Well I think it will be a true sequel, but we arent looking at a hard reset or a whole new generation. Just faster x86 hardware. Everything after is really just building on the Xbox one base.

Kind of like what MS does with Surface, Apple with iphone and iOS.

EvB

UWP has serious limitations in order to maintain compatability. On Xbox One for example, UWP developers do not have access to the lightening fast esRAM. That's a basic building block for all AAA games, yet it's off limits.

How do those existing UWP games on Xbox One work?

Gestault

Distinct video card tiers in PCs aren't half-steps, but can generally play all the same games from a generational window. His comment was talking about having enough of a capability bump that it would be obvious to players. It's easy to read that as saying they planned a bigger jump than people would expect from a mid-generation revision. Considering the 4K focus at reveal, and the selection of PS4 Pro titles that play at native 4K, it's not hard to connect those dots.

Wasn't there a Phil Spencer quote from early last year that had him say there was no point in making a half step console?

In an effort to downplay PS4 Pro. Sony catches them off guard. Then MS does some PR talk and shows a 30 sec video at E3 with the words 4k printed on a chip and some people ate it up.

Bulby

But, man, maybe Im stupid but I just dont get it.

Xbox one is being hammered by PS4. Xbox One has a diminishing first party line. 3rd parties are selling way more on PS4.

I just dont get who they are selling a more powerful Xbox One to?

PS Pro makes sense in the fact that, people still want the PS4 and they have a massive future line up of first party games to look forward.

Its like having a car with not enough fuel and saying, 'I know whats wrong! I need a more powerful car!'

Maybe they will prove me wrong at E3, but I dont see their first party touching Sony's for years to come.

I remember him saying that, but I don't think this is true. His statement about "half-steps" seems like it was likely about hardware and not software. From what I've seen, people call the PS4 Pro a "half-step" because in terms of hardware it's a beefed up PS4. From everything we've seen so far, Scorpio does not use the same hardware as Xbox One.

Hardware is indeed only half of the equation for a console, but I don't think his statements there were lies. The difference here is that people just wrongly equate new architecture with leaving the old one behind.

timberger

IMO Xbox One Scorpio is Microsoft's version of the PS4 Pro and there is nothing wrong with that.

They are the same style of iterative consoles, marketed differently.

Not an opinion as much as a statement of fact really. MS have said this many times at this point.

Some people are too far gone on the hype machine to accept that it's anything other than a "new console generation" though, so I doubt it'll completely sink in this time either.

jelly

I don't think it's wrong to think generations will still continue.

These consoles going forward will have full BC but a new generation will come around, the game boxes will say PS5/Xbox 5 instead of PS4/Xbox One. Sony and Microsoft just want to keep the hardware lull from happening. There will be a cut off and new baseline. I admit it may not happen forever and you may just get Xbox/Playstation labels, but I don't see this generation starting it.

Theoris

Neo Member
Good news for the longevity of current One/S owners. In other news, the source for an MS webpage is calling Scorpio the 'Xbox Aurora', if you're quick with the pre-order button on the MS site.

Edit: My bad, a barely elaborate fake.

This is incorrect. That was a limitation put in place on Xbox one for UWP apps - media player, music players, etc and not UWP games.

EvB

After a while the Scorpio becomes the "worse" Xbox One and then we get a new Scorpio. :)

It all becomes a bit irrelevant , when an "actual" next gen comes round they can make a new gen, but all the existing games will function and they can stop making games that support the old hardware

Shin-Ra

I thought they said VR games could be Scorpio exclusive and they'd have games exclusive to Windows or Xbox.

Akronis

* New graphics pipeline
* Brand new CPU

PS4 Pro has new GPU.

You have absolutely no idea that it'll have a new CPU. CEO of AMD says custom SoC not happening until 2018.

Removing eSRAM is not a huge change

Support for VR, which PS4 and PS4 Pro already have.

Stop hyping it so hard or you're in for disappointment.

These consoles from Sony and MS are slowly moving towards the same shit on PC. In Sony's case, it makes sense to get their console for their exclusives but with MS blurring the line between their console and W10 store, it's like uhh you can just get a PC which you can constantly improve yourself, old games will be improved, and you aren't paying a monthly fee.

But, man, maybe Im stupid but I just dont get it.

Xbox one is being hammered by PS4. Xbox One has a diminishing first party line. 3rd parties are selling way more on PS4.

I just dont get who they are selling a more powerful Xbox One to?

PS Pro makes sense in the fact that, people still want the PS4 and they have a massive future line up of first party games to look forward.

Its like having a car with not enough fuel and saying, 'I know whats wrong! I need a more powerful car!'

Maybe they will prove me wrong at E3, but I dont see their first party touching Sony's for years to come.

Maybe they were too narrow in their thinking when all that resolution crap was everywhere from late 2013 to around last year. Interesting that it has quietened down on that front and the real importance, the games, are the forefront.

I agree about their first party, I like their eco system, their controller and so on but to me their ideology at times sucks when it comes to the most important thing, the games. Most of my close gaming pals who were big Xbox fans have fucked them off and took their money elsewhere as they were so bored of their releases.

I thought they said VR games could be Scorpio exclusive and they'd have games exclusive to Windows or Xbox.

Since then, they've revealed some low-cost VR headsets for Windows 10. I'm wondering if maybe they just found a way for devs to make VR content on both platforms.

Phil has said multiple times now that they don't think VR is fully there just yet. Comments like that make me think that they don't want to pursue Oculus or Vive experiences on Xbox for now.

Exactly. I already have access to a gaming PC so RIP Scorpio.

I keep seeing people make comments like this, and it makes me wonder if you realize how the gaming business works... Sony and Microsoft aren't pushing huge profits off of hardware. Expanding the Xbox ecosystem to Win10 means that you're still buying the games...

It all becomes a bit irrelevant , when an "actual" next gen comes round they can make a new gen, but all the existing games will function and they can stop making games that support the old hardware
What is an actual next gen though?

For MS and windows in the PC space it was always just faster hardware. You were still able to run most of not all of your productivity software and games on that new faster PC. The only reason consoles had this idea of generations is because the of the way the dev kits worked and what hardware was being used.

At least in MS case for Xbox, next gen is just better hardware. There is just an evolution of what's already in place.

Fisty

How would I know? But I honestly doubt it.

Sorry I wasn't trying to sound accusatory. But yeah I'm curious as to how they will handle dropping legacy support on their newer games going forward. A new generation is about seeing that huge leap in what games can do, and keeping that low baseline XB1 sku that every dev will still have to hit might make a lot of the hardware pointless. Graphics aren't the only thing that get better with hardware.

The Xbox One will be 7 years old at that point. It's highly unlikely.

However, One games should theoretically work on their next hardware after Scorpio. It's one of the bigger advantages of MS unifying their software environment.

Yeah they seem to be working towards a quality backwards compatibility solution, but with forward-compatibility I really see issues with hardware being used... inefficiently I guess? I just think 4K as a standard is a complete waste right now, hardware-wise. Spend those cycles on more impactful gains, people hammered MS for having lower resolutions and now it seems like they think 4K will save them

Top Bottom