• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: You can share your Xbox One games with any 10 people

Status
Not open for further replies.

harSon

Banned
Still think there is a catch to this feature. The company that decided to implement all their DRM and other weird things all of a sudden is gonna let you share all your games with any 10 people any time?

lol. And by limitation I mean something more than the one at a time thing.

Not necessarily. The biggest reasons MicRosoft are doing this is to A) get a cut of used games sales B) hasten the rate at which their platform becomes a digital platform and C) ensure that everyone is online, which increases the chances of the consumer contributing to the revenue stream that Microsoft sees with Live. Well, that and being on the publishers good side. All of those things remain true, even if this policy works as advertised.

hal9001

Banned
Yeah, it seems too good to be true. The system can be exploited and there is no way publishers would risk losing sales when they tried so hard to implement DRM in the first case. There has to be a catch.

This actually seems like a good way to sell games. If one of your "family" members enjoys a game, then they'll want to be able to access it at any time. In theory. Right?

As long as somebody else isn't playing it.

It's the same thing you can do right now with game discs except faster and limited to 10 people.

TheExodu5

Banned
This policy makes absolutely no sense to me. This would hurt sales more than used games ever would. I doubt this will make it in as described.

Sobriquet

I thought the catch to this was that they all had to have physical access to the same console? Another words, it's even less than what you can already do to begin with?

No. Their example was that it could be a "family" member 3000 miles away.

The catch is you could right now share your X360 games with infinity number of people via disc.

But only one person can play a disc. This way, two people can play a shared game.

Justin

How many games can I "loan out" at a time?

Is there a duration of loan?

Are all features accessible when loaned?

If I lend an online MP game that I activated on one account to another (Gold) user, can they use that activated copy without restraints? Would the achievements be on their account, or on mine?

It's not a loan. It is a shared game library. You can see all the games anyone in you group of 10 have purchased and play any pf those games for as long as you want as long as 2 of the other people on the list are not currently playing that game.

joe2187

Banned
This whole thing is a confusing mess.

Almost seems like this is some sort of knee jerk reaction to the whole Sony conference, even their PR is confused on the whole policy.

Well, that's great and all. But do you want to know how I let me son borrow my 360 games so he could play them on his own console?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWSIFh8ICaA

Just like that.
The benefit of this system is that you don't have to even be in the same room to share your games. No disc swapping necessary. Your 'family friend' would have access to your entire shared game library instantly because it's all in the cloud. Also you can still play your game concurrently whilst one other of your 10 family members does, something you can't do with a single physical copy of a game.

So, it sounds fucking awesome. But also too good to be true. Anxious to find out the catch.

Almost seems like this is some sort of knee jerk reaction to the whole Sony conference, even their PR is confused on the whole policy.
?? This policy was already on their site before E3.

Let's say for a second this works decently without any major hiccups.

How many publishers would actually enable this feature, realistically?

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
This sounds great but I don't see how this is not 10x worse than used games. To me this creates a situation where their is a chance publishers will lose out more and you can basically set up share clubs.

It does limit it to ten though, a used game could go through hundreds! Thousands! Millions! Maybe this is what publishers actually believe?

Also, some said MS had tighter restrictions before the backlash, this might be a result of it.

Kuno

The thing that makes this not so bad for Microsoft and other publishers is that there are tons of next-gen games that are multiplayer focused and/or have multiplayer fully integrated into the solo experience. So, your "family member" would never get to play along with you unless they bought the game. And that's no fun.

I don't believe that Xbox support tweet about being able to play the same game at the same time.

from Bgamer90 in another thread:

ScreenShot060_zpse40f3ea8.png

If it works as they are implying it does (You + one of your sharing playing the same game) then fuck the restrictions, this is much more interesting than being able to resell or share physical copies.

So I can buy a game and all 10 of us can share it for only $60? We're only paying $6 for a game at that point....

If that's true....I'm back on board lol
Probably beaten, but you would never get to play that game at the same time as anyone else in your group. Why would you want that?

Edit: hmmm ms support is saying you can play at the same time as someone else? Whoa. Publishers aren't gonna like that lol.

Nikhil

Neo Member
This is actually pretty fucking nice.

If you compare this to other online services this is unprecedented...

But I also want to be able to sell my games myself.

Not true. Since the launch of your PS3, you've been able to share your PSN games with up to 5 other people.

stuminus3

So yeah, this is why Microsoft make their licensing stuff intentionally vague. There's no way they're offering what some of you think they're offering.

If I only have to buy one copy of Halo 5 and COD 12 ( or whatever) instead of 2 every year so my partner and I can play together on separate boxes, that pays for the 2nd Xbox easily. We have multiple copies of at least 20 games this gen, most at full price. 20 games x $50 average = $1000 saved.

It pays for BOTH X1's. o_O

LifEndz

It does not seem to be "besides the owner." It seems to be any one of the whole family, including the actual owner/buyer. I imagine the owner/buyer would have the ability to kick off family members. An ability family members probably won't have towards the owner.

At least from the Ars quote.

Maybe I'm reading this the wrong way then:

"You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time."

http://kotaku.com/xbox-one-lets-you-share-your-games-with-up-to-10-famil-511767763

Seems like it's only one member of your "family" at a time. Am I wrong?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
This is absolutely hilarious if this happens the way they're stating.

Publishers will be absolutely infuriated when scores of people online have a group of 10 people sharing games between them. There's going to be a huge backlash.

Sony and Nintendo allow infinite game sharing.

Ironically, this seems like it will hurt sales way more than allowing used games would.

This. Ten people can now split the cost of a $60 game disc and all have access to it.

hesido

That's very generous. It's understandable to have only one playing at a time, which requires a constant connection (that's why they came up with 1 hour check)...

That said, this is way too generous, and a vastly different approach from PS3's digital download DRM, where you have to have your account installed on someone else's PS3, so that person would rather be a trusted person, but with this, you can have a nice family of people you don't know. Even with PS3's approach, I remember sony dropping activated account limit on consoles from 5 to 2 because of excessive game sharing. If this is the case, this may have worse effects than what they claim second hand market did.

I wonder how this will play out... This is way too generous to be true, and I don't understand how they did not make a very big deal out of it. (I also remember Jack Tretton giving the impression that the system was designed to share with friends, it turned out it only allowed it for personal use, in TOS)

Edit:
Ironically, this seems like it will hurt sales way more than allowing used games would.
Agreed...

iammeiam

I refuse to believe there isn't a catch.

All of the DRM and periodic authentications business exists to please publishers and all of a sudden they're allowing one copy of a game to be shared amongst 10 people?

Flip cause an effect around--You're MS. You want to build your next console as a digital distribution powerhouse with more freedom than typical game DD. you want to be able to have your users lend out digital games, give them to friends, all that shit. How do you convince publishers to let you do this? You give them a piece of used game sales. You do away with renting. And you lock shit down to make sure the only people sharing follow the description you gave publishers.

Minions

Sounds great. I feel like I would get to play 20-30 games for $60-80, if each person bought a couple games each.

Not exactly sure how publishers will make money like this, but the hell if I care. Since there are no used games that will make up the sales!

Sarcasm aside, I don't see how this would make more money. If anything it makes me want to find 10 other people that buy lots of games. As long as you get people to buy different games each you will be rolling in games without having to pay more than the price of 1 game.

So I can't buy used games or trade games because developers don't get revenue....but I can simply play my friend's game if he marks me as family member and I don't have to pay the developer for that experience? And that makes sense? What the hell Microsoft?

KrAzEd

Banned
I love how Microsoft gives us good news and people still hate. This is so much better then having to give a friend a disc, and lets be honest, who lends games to more then 10 people?

acm2000

so buy a game, split the cost 10 ways, draw from a hat the order in which each gets the game to completion, win?

the era of $5 games on launch day begins!

still not interested in XO or PS4

Kikujiro

MS still with the confusing PR.
Publishers will love this policy, everybody sharing their games with 10 people = huge loss sales. Perfect. Wasn't this console supposed to protect the publishers? Doesn't make any sense.

entremet

If this is true with no catches. It's gonna be cool setting up groups on GAF to get the latest games lol, for just six bucks each.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Maybe I'm reading this the wrong way then:

"You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time."

http://kotaku.com/xbox-one-lets-you-share-your-games-with-up-to-10-famil-511767763

Seems like it's only one member of your "family" at a time. Am I wrong?

This is how I'm understanding it as well:

1) The person who paid for the game plays it any time.

2) Any one of the 9 people on that person's share list can play it but never at the same time as the other people on that share list.

No they have been clear about this.
But i think most were to negative about it and it sounded to good to be true it still is.
This should have been the point they should have clarified at E3 with a movie kinda like sony share movie.

Let's say for a second this works decently without any major hiccups.

How many publishers would actually enable this feature, realistically?

Assuming that they will track exactly how much time each player spent on each game and that info will be at most 24h late, which it means they can share a portion of the live gold revenue of the user to the publishers, i would say all of them?

Sobriquet

As long as somebody else isn't playing it.

It's the same thing you can do right now with game discs except faster and limited to 10 people.

Right. But since people can't access a shared game at any time, if they like it, then they're more likely to buy it. I'm assuming that's the theory they're running with.

Not true. Since the launch of your PS3, you've been able to share your PSN games with up to 5 other people.
It's been 2 since 2011. And isn't that more account sharing than game sharing?

I can't just share my PSN game library with my friend without sharing my full account details. Unless I'm doing it wrong.

Raptor

The benefit of this system is that you don't have to even be in the same room to share your games. No disc swapping necessary. Your 'family friend' would have access to your entire shared game library instantly because it's all in the cloud. Also you can still play your game concurrently whilst one other of your 10 family members does, something you can't do with a single physical copy of a game.

So, it sounds fucking awesome. But also too good to be true. Anxious to find out the catch.

?? This policy was already on their site before E3.

This is no way teh way is going to work, if its is then is a fucking huge thing, like megaton of epic proportions huge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom