• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phillip W. Spencer III:"Xbox’s aim with Call of Duty is to give players choice, not "do slimy platform things" that make one option more appealing."

Mr Moose

He can do slimy things atleast.
He's known for it.
He isn't even doing that with Doom. Why would he with CoD? Either way, Phil has been in charge for 10 years and Sony has done more money hats in the last couple of years than he's done in the last 10. Hasn't every game gone to PC and/or Nintendo and Sony in the last 10 years? If Phil and MS did everything in their power to prop up Xbox, it would SUCK. Funny that haters will say Phil was the downfall of Xbox but if he wasn't allowing Xbox games to go day 1 to PC, and allow Minecraft on Switch/PS5, etc. it would be a raw deal for gamers overall. Let's continue to feign ignorance when it comes to what Sony would do with MS money.
You have to be trolling...

Last edited:
If you actually think that Phil Spencer is releasing COD on more platforms out of the kindness of his heart and not to increase revenue to keep the shareholders happy, then his brainwashing PR speak bullshit is working as intended.

mpPC6uO.jpeg

He's known for it.
He just proved this wrong with that quote.

Ogbert

He is such a tedious fool.

What is the point of being in charge of Xbox unless you want to make it more appealing?

How has this clown not been fired?

Boglin

I don’t think any of you realize how much you are in love with this man… nothing else would make so many have such strong feelings.

Kinda like a domestic abuse case where the victim develops strong feelings toward the abuser and can’t leave..
If this logic is true then think I love a lot of people. I didn't realize how big my heart was 😊

He isn't even doing that with Doom. Why would he with CoD? Either way, Phil has been in charge for 10 years and Sony has done more money hats in the last couple of years than he's done in the last 10. Hasn't every game gone to PC and/or Nintendo and Sony in the last 10 years? If Phil and MS did everything in their power to prop up Xbox, it would SUCK. Funny that haters will say Phil was the downfall of Xbox but if he wasn't allowing Xbox games to go day 1 to PC, and allow Minecraft on Switch/PS5, etc. it would be a raw deal for gamers overall. Let's continue to feign ignorance when it comes to what Sony would do with MS money.
How brainwashed are you people? There is literally court documents that show Phil was trying to make Minecraft exclusive but could not, as they was a contingency when bought the IP.

He doesn't give a flying fuck about this whole angle of "when everyone plays, we all win". He just bought two publishers and other studios and the only games that so far will be day and date are Doom and cod (but this is legally required, he doesn't have a say in the matter). Meanwhile just since the start of 2023, here are a list of games made from previous devs that were typically multiplatform: Hi-fi rush, redfall, starfield, hellblade 2. Plus avowed and Indians Jones which are slated for 2024 releases. It act like MS or Phil are the 'good guys' is always beyond laughable.

coffinbirth

Disabling cross-play in the settings on Xbox doesn't disable cross-play?
Correct.
It completely broke matchmaking on Xbox...unless your Activision ID was tied to PSN.

For example. If I turned off crossplay globally on Xbox, Warzone matchmaking NEVER filled. Wouldn't connect to ANYONE. If I'd log into my Activision ID on PS5, turn off crossplay, go back to XBOX with global setting to off, and then and only then would lobbies fill with Xbox only players.

This was subsequently fixed the week after the acquisition was finalized, after three years of this stupid shit.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Correct.
It completely broke matchmaking on Xbox...unless your Activision ID was tied to PSN.

For example. If I turned off crossplay globally on Xbox, Warzone matchmaking NEVER filled. Wouldn't connect to ANYONE. If I'd log into my Activision ID on PS5, turn off crossplay, go back to XBOX with global setting to off, and then and only then would lobbies fill with Xbox only players.

This was subsequently fixed the week after the acquisition was finalized, after three years of this stupid shit.
Very strange

I have played Warzone before with my son while on Xbox and he doesn't own a Playstation and we had crossplay off and this was long before the acquisition

Lobbies take a long time to fill in because most on Xbox don't use this or possibly don't even know about it

I do vaguely remember getting some warning message about crossplay being off but it still worked

Mr Moose

Correct.

Oh, that shit was bugged on PS5 as well, had to turn it on for some modes to even work (War mode and Ground War), couldn't even join friends on the same platform.
This was back in March, it's fixed now though (the joining friends thing).

coffinbirth

Very strange

I have played Warzone before with my son while on Xbox and he doesn't own a Playstation and we had crossplay off and this was long before the acquisition

Lobbies take a long time to fill in because most on Xbox don't use this or possibly don't even know about it

I do vaguely remember getting some warning message about crossplay being off but it still worked
TBF, I moved over to PC for Warzone after 1.0, but it was still a common complaint on the WZ Reddit up until 8 months ago. Started magically working in October. True console vs. console only crossplay was added in March.

Top Bottom