• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Physical Artbook PS4 Version of TSUKIHIME will be censored, Switch version will be uncensored

Draugoth

Gold Member

GMiDL8kWcAAovkC

Dane

It blows my mind that Sony decided to publish a game like Stellar Blade only to censor it on its launch day, because they have been censoring third party games for much less.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I always find it amusing that NIntendo, the company that had bloodless MK1 in the 2D era, isn't the company most likely to enforce some form of censorship anymore. It's a different kind of censorship now, but Switch also has Doom 2016 and GTA Trilogy. So relative to Nintendo it makes Sony look even worse when you can say "Damn, not even Nintendo care about that but Sony does."

near

Gold Member
But why isn't Stellar Blade censored? Sony's policies aren't very clear to me.

It blows my mind that Sony decided to publish a game like Stellar Blade only to censor it on its launch day, because they have been censoring third party games for much less.
Is the game censored or isn't it censored. Has anyone who has purchased the physical edition on GAF been able to confirm? This is only regarding one outfit, correct? Why am I reading differing opinions on this. :/

Assuming one of the alterations is to the Elesia character/persona, her being 12 years old is the result of some wonkiness, stemming from the original, doujin release of Tsukihime; the notion is received with a certain manner of disbelief by other characters and gets played as something of a joke by the game. The artwork in question (link) isn't what most would consider loli; it also appears in-game and is specifically referreced by the title's ESRB description: "A female vampire is depicted partially nude, with exposed pelvic area (no genitalia), and her arm covering her breasts."

Assuming, again, Elesia is one of the artbook alterations, this just feels like pearl clutching, because of--what I'm guessing--is her described age next to the finished or concept art. The game does have a more traditional loli character, but every image I've seen of her from the game, including the concept art, seems tame, unless a somewhat bare middrift is also too much for Sony.

Aenima

Is the game censored or isn't it censored. Has anyone who has purchased the physical edition on GAF been able to confirm? This is only regarding one outfit, correct? Why am I reading differing opinions on this. :/
Yes i can confirm the game got some outfits censored if you update the game. Im playing the game unpatched and some outfits are more revealing. So far i only noticed censorship in 2 outfits.

near

Gold Member
Yes i can confirm the game got some outfits censored if you update the game. Im playing the game unpatched and some outfits are more revealing. So far i only noticed censorship in 2 outfits.
Thanks for confirming. I've been reading tweets here and there regarding the discourse surrounding the game, it just had me a little confused.

Aenima

Thanks for confirming. I've been reading tweets here and there regarding the discourse surrounding the game, it just had me a little confused.
The confusion comes from ppl that got the review code VS the ppl that has the physical version. The review code already had the outfits censored before the day 1 patch, the physical version has the outfits uncensored and only gets censored once you install the day 1 patch.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
The start of the Type-Moon empire.

Technically it's Garden of Sinners/Kara no Kyokai but they really got it going from Tsukihime which lead to Fate/Stay Night. Billion dollar franchise btw.
Still......what the hell is it? ...music, TV, movie, anime? That whole sentence makes zero sense.

What exactly was censored?

If it's panty shots of preteen girls. I won't bat an eyelid. That shit's creepy AF and ya'll know anime is rife with it (as much as I love anime).

FeralEcho

Tadarara ta daaaa

Is it a bird? is it a plane?

No!!!

It's Soyny here to save the day...
To The Rescue Hero GIF by Sesame Street

And people wonder why some of us dont believe Shift Up's garbage response about Stellar Blade's censorship.

Its just Sony being Soyny forcing the devs to hide their vision because apparently tits are killing children and Soyny is here to save the children from the evil of women tits and ass.

It's just really awesome that corporations like Sony engage in hardcore moralizing, censorship and thought control and we're just not supposed to ever care about this or complain or else we're incels.

Only total losers care about stupid, lame concepts like freedom of speech.
I'll go a step further and say that I appreciate Sony protecting us from terrible, fictitious and digital, morally dark behaviors. Oh wait, why aren't they also protecting us from other awful fictitious actions like shooting pixel people since that's so creepy too. None of us want the pixel police to come and arrest us.

Thank you, Sony.

I actually empathize with Sony a bit, because they're always going to wind up in a shitstorm. If they censor, they piss off a large section of their core fanbase and look cowardly and weak. If they don't censor, the put out raw meat for the slacktivist ragemongers to go apeshit for all over social media. They're choosing which terrible press they want to get.

So why doesn't Nintendo do the same? Because they're a Japanese corporation based out of Japan that doesn't care about social media influencers and their sociopolitical agenda. Kudos to them for that.

From the official release, it's saying that the game itself will actually be the same on both platforms, so this only affects two pages of the artbook. Betting now that the Switch version will become highly collectible in the future due to this disparity.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I actually empathize with Sony a bit, because they're always going to wind up in a shitstorm. If they censor, they piss off a large section of their core fanbase and look cowardly and weak. If they don't censor, the put out raw meat for the slacktivist ragemongers to go apeshit for all over social media. They're choosing which terrible press they want to get.

So why doesn't Nintendo do the same? Because they're a Japanese corporation based out of Japan that doesn't care about social media influencers and their sociopolitical agenda. Kudos to them for that.

From the official release, it's saying that the game itself will actually be the same on both platforms, so this only affects two pages of the artbook. Betting now that the Switch version will become highly collectible in the future due to this disparity.

No one listens to the mentally deranged Twitter Warriors. Catering to them helps no one.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Who is this censoring for? This is not type of game that’s going to have mass appeal and only thing this going to do is piss off the actual audience for this game…..Nintendo understands this, why can’t Sony?

No one listens to the mentally deranged Twitter Warriors. Catering to them helps no one.
It's hard to blame them for not wanting the negative publicity.

I don't think the censorship is a good or acceptable thing. I just understand the corporate mentality of choosing to stir up people on this forum vs that other forum. The one where people engage in hate campaigns and seek to turn mobs on the latest cause du j'our.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It's hard to blame them for not wanting the negative publicity.

I don't think the censorship is a good or acceptable thing. I just understand the corporate mentality of choosing to stir up people on this forum vs that other forum. The one where people engage in hate campaigns and seek to turn mobs on the latest cause du j'our.
But this is not that type of game that has mass appeal to get negative publicity over it, in fact I would argue this news is gonna bring more negative publicity and piss off actual audience who are willing to buy this game.

But this is not that type of game that has mass appeal to get negative publicity over it, in fact I would argue this news is gonna bring more negative publicity and piss off actual audience who are willing to buy this game.
I feel you underestimate the amount of people scouring the internet looking for something to drum up rage about, but agree to disagree.

It's still a downer that this is happening. I just get the whole hedging of bets massive corporations do in an attempt to shield themselves from potential blowback.

GHound

in fact I would argue this news is gonna bring more negative publicity and piss off actual audience who are willing to buy this game.
At the bare minimum they've ensured I'll never own a PS6. Though I know that will get the usual asswipes cackling because ultimately one or two people refusing to buy PlayStations in the future is nothing.

After looking through the Japanese version of the game's artbook, and assuming the US release is essentially a copy, the one likely change is almost certainly due to merely the perceived nudity (the potentially offending text on age is five pages prior and not specific to the actual image in question); and I honestly can't figure-out what else would need altering, leading me to believe the two pages with several clothed images of the loli character are going to see some asinine tweak. If I'm proven wrong, that's fine, but I'm expecting these changes to just further highlight the ridiculousness of Sony's newfound prudishness.

Given the price of the physical edition, it's good people at least have a legit alternative.

Tadarara ta daaaa

Is it a bird? is it a plane?

No!!!

It's Soyny here to save the day...
To The Rescue Hero GIF by Sesame Street

And people wonder why some of us dont believe Shift Up's garbage response about Stellar Blade's censorship.

Its just Sony being Soyny forcing the devs to hide their vision because apparently tits are killing children and Soyny is here to save the children from the evil of women tits and ass.
I'd be more tolerant of this if they had to comply with national law, obviously. But doing this out of the blue just because is pretty surreal coming from a company that should be championing the values of the country it is based in... or is that maybe the problem? That this company is not of any particular nation anymore, but needs to play nicely with all the dictatorships and failed shitholes around the globe, too?

kiphalfton

Westerners are so sensitive.
200.gif

Imagine having to work in these conditions.

Gotta be careful what you say, cuz it may set off one of your coworkers (and maybe not even the one you're talking to) if you say something that offends them.

Have heard a handful of stories from people I know, saying somebody reported them to HR or management over the most trivial BS.

Last edited:

TheTony316

Who is this censoring for? This is not type of game that’s going to have mass appeal and only thing this going to do is piss off the actual audience for this game…..Nintendo understands this, why can’t Sony?
Aniplex is owned by Sony so the japanese arm clearly doesn't give a shit about this. The censorhip only applies to the english version so the issue here is Sony California.

Last edited:
LMAO they don't want me to pay for this huh? Do they know there has been a fan translation of this since last year? They don't want people to give them money?

Edit: and done. PS4 pre-order literally cancelled. Congrats Sony!

Last edited:
Top Bottom