• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pics that don't make you laugh but are still cool

Recall

That's about as cool as this.

tumblr_n7g5zhd3uI1txlxx3o1_250.gif

Amazing

Coreda

A holiday pick (cross post from the camping thread):

14_08-Isle_of_Skye_Hike-4.jpg

Trotternish Ridge, Isle of Skye, Scotland.

Found your superb blog post about it via the image links. This is ideally how one should photograph such trips. Takes extra effort but having wide, well-processed shots that take in the entire landscape befit the stunning environment and means others can appreciate them better as well. Thanks.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Found your superb blog post about it via the image links. This is ideally how one should photograph such trips. Takes extra effort but having wide, well-processed shots that take in the entire landscape befit the stunning environment and means others can appreciate them better as well. Thanks.

Thanks for the kind words. Although I contributed the blog is mostly the work of my hiking buddy. We both do parts of the writing and photography. Our Norway trip's also on it.

Melchiah

A holiday pick (cross post from the camping thread):

14_08-Isle_of_Skye_Hike-4.jpg

14_08-Isle_of_Skye_Hike-5.jpg

Trotternish Ridge, Isle of Skye, Scotland.

Cool pics! I'd love to go to a place like that.

A couple of pics of Aittakuru, in the Northern Finland.

OJidJfH.jpg

UoRr063.jpg

The unique theatre has risen into the rock valley of Aittakuru and at the moment it consists of three stages, a cote for musicians and an audience stand for 400 persons.

Nature in main role. Nature is always in the main role in Amphitheatre. We do not wish to ruin the genuine experiences Nature has to offer there by using modern theatre tecniques. In the massive acoustics even a tiny crack reaches the stand of audience in the ridge bright and clear.

The buildings at the bottom of Aittakuru feature nature´s own scenery of light and shadow. Up in the stand, in the armpit of mother nature man finds peace and a connection to something greater than himself. In the rough landscape of Aittakuru the traveller is not far away from his own soul scenery.

The first Noitarumpu Event (noitarumpu = the drum played by shamans) took place in 1991 in the National Park of Pyhätunturi, but the very next took place in Aittakuru. Amphitheatre was build up in 1992 with help of a work camp for unemployed young people. All the material needed was acquired by us until the project was joined by The Forest and Park Service, the Environment Centre and the Municipality of Pelkosenniemi.

I have no idea why i find these extremely soothing. Especially the two first ones.
Maybe its the beauty/simplicity of monotony.

I think that's it, yeah. Cinemographs have a certain beauty to them. It's because everything else is frozen, you get no sense of it being a 'film' other than the focus, if you get me.

Well, we know what your Fetish is now.
JUWnj.gif

I do love perfectly looped GIFs though.

:D

Retro

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/...ifs_n_5843534.html?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000044

"To fully grasp how desperate California is for relief, we've created six before-and-after GIFs that will show you how badly the drought has dehydrated the state in just the last three years."

That's nothing. Look what happened to the fourth largest lake in the world in just 50 years;

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOTD/view.php?id=84437&eocn=home&eoci=iotd_image

aralsea_tmo_2014231.jpg

Black outlines are the 1960s shore.

Retro

http://i.minus.com/iu6NyUpnnoHT0.jpg

Climate change has almost certainly had some impact, but California routinely goes through cycles of droughts. It's just part of the region's natural climate (which receives little rain to begin with), even though this drought has been especially long (three years, if I remember right) and especially dry. The biggest problem is that there's a severe mismanagement of existing water resources;

http://www.latimes.com/local/political/la-me-pc-groundwater-regulation-bills-20140916-story.html

Since the state's founding, water has been considered a property right; landowners have been able to pump as much water from the ground as they want. But increasing reliance on underground water, particularly during droughts, has led to more pumping from some basins than what is naturally being replaced.

Those lakes aren't disappearing just because California hasn't been getting rain, though that's part of it.It's that there's a lot of competition, especially from agriculture, and there more people living in the area than it's able to sustain.

TLDR: Probably a little climate change, but it has more to do with the people who live there using too much.

Woorloog

Banned
I reckon there ain't no replacing the "lost" water.
BTW, might over-use of underground water cause other issues, like sink-holes?

Retro

I reckon there ain't no replacing the "lost" water.
BTW, might over-use of underground water cause other issues, like sink-holes?

Not if current rates of consumption continue. The article I linked to discussed it more, they basically say that at this point even a huge amount of rain isn't going to make a difference overall.

No idea on sinkholes though.

obin_gam

awesome pics! But that one is screwing with my brain haha

saw on reddit:
23ECRTM.gif

The cardinal fish tried to eat a tiny shrimp (ostracods), but as a defense mechanisms the ostracod produces a burst of bioluminescence. The fish instantly spits it out because it doesn't want to be a swimming neon "eat me" sign to its own bigger predators.

Video:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/28838200

Looks like a CGI effect :D

So Godzillas lazer breath is based on a real thing :O :D <3

Top Bottom