• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pizza |OT| Food of the Gods

The history of Pizza

Pizza in its most basic form as a seasoned flatbread has a long history in the Mediterranean. Several cultures including the Greeks and Phoenicians ate a flatbread made from flour and water. The dough would be cooked by placing on a hot stone and then seasoned with herbs. The Greeks called this early pizza plankuntos and it was basically used as an edible plate when eating stews or thick broth. It was not yet what we would call pizza today but it was very much like modern focaccia. These early pizzas were eaten from Rome to Egypt to Babylon and were praised by the ancient historians Herodotus and Cato the Elder.

The introduction of tomatoes to Italian cuisine in the 18th and early 19th centuries finally gave us the true modern Italian pizza. Even though tomatoes reached Italy by the 1530's it was widely thought that they were poisonous and were grown only for decoration. However the innovative (and probably starving) peasants of Naples started using the supposedly deadly fruit in many of their foods, including their early pizzas. Since that fateful day the world of Italian cuisine would never be the same, however it took some time for the rest of society to accept this crude peasant food. Once members of the local aristocracy tried pizza they couldn't get enough of it, which by this time was being sold on the streets of Naples for every meal. As pizza popularity increased, street vendors gave way to actual shops where people could order a custom pizza with many different toppings. By 1830 the "Antica Pizzeria Port'Alba" of Naples had become the first true pizzeria and this venerable institution is still producing masterpieces.

Thanks to http://www.lifeinitaly.com/

Pizza, pizza, pizza - so much pizza!

Pizza is one of the most versatile foods out there, in addition to a near infinite combination of toppings, sauces, and cheeses - there are even different types of doughs and compositions:

Italian pizzas

Neapolitan pizza

20090721-keste2.jpg

Neapolitan pizza (pizza napoletana): Authentic Neapolitan pizzas are typically made with tomatoes and Mozzarella cheese. They can be made with ingredients like San Marzano tomatoes, which grow on the volcanic plains to the south of Mount Vesuvius, and mozzarella di bufala Campana, made with the milk from water buffalo raised in the marshlands of Campania and Lazio in a semi-wild state (this mozzarella is protected with its own European protected designation of origin).

Lazio style

6a00d83545496553ef011570f445af970b-500wi

Pizza al taglio

pizza-rustica-3.jpg

Pizza Rustica

Pizza in Lazio (Rome), as well as in many other parts of Italy, is available in two different styles. Take-away shops sell pizza rustica or pizza al taglio. This pizza is cooked in long, rectangular baking pans and relatively thick (1–2 cm). The pizza is often cooked in an electric oven. It is usually cut with scissors or a knife and sold by weight. In pizzerias, pizza is served in a dish in its traditional round shape. It has a thin, crisp base quite different from the thicker and softer Neapolitan style base. It is usually cooked in a wood-fired oven, giving the pizza its unique flavor and texture.

German pizzas

Flammkuchen

flamm.jpg

Flammekueche or Tarte flambée is an Alsatian dish composed of bread dough rolled out very thin in the shape of a rectangle (traditionally) or circle, which is covered with fromage blanc or crème fraîche, thinly sliced onions and lardons. It is one of the most famous gastronomical specialties of the region.

Brazilian pizzas

Pizza com catupiry

frango+catupiry.jpg

This pizza is unique to Brazil and "Catupiry", a type of creamy cheese, on the pizza.

Korea

Grand Prix

pizza.grand-prix.jpg

Korean-style pizza tends to be complicated, and often has nontraditional toppings such as corn, potato wedges, sweet potato, shrimp, or crab. The super-deluxe "Grand Prix" at Mr. Pizza has Cajun shrimp, bell peppers, olives, and mushrooms on one side, and potato wedges, bacon, crushed tortilla chips, and sour cream on the other side. Its potato mousse-filled cookie dough crust is sprinkled with sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, and raisins, and can be dipped in a blueberry sauce that is provided.

Sweden

Doner Kebab Pizza

kebabpizza.jpg

One of the most popular types of pizza in Sweden is kebab-pizza, with doner kebab as the main topping. The typical side order with Swedish pizza is a pizza salad made with shredded cabbage and sometimes red pepper that's been slightly pickled in vinaigrette for a few days. The pizza is often slathered with a yoghurt-based sauce as well as a red, spicy sauce.

U.S.A Pizzas

Due to the wide influence of Italian immigrants in American culture, the US has developed regional forms of pizza, that I feel needs a section of its own to go through:

EM1008_Shallots-and-Olive-Oil-Pizza_lg.jpg

Shallots and olive oil california-style pizza

California-style pizza refers to pizza with non-traditional ingredients, especially those that use a considerable amount of fresh produce. A Thai-inspired chicken pizza with peanut sauce, bean sprouts, and shaved carrots is a popular variant in California-style pizza restaurants, as are taco pizzas, and pizzas that use chicken and barbecue sauce as toppings.

tumblr_ljga01BqMU1qbg3oao1_500.jpg

Chicago-style pizza, or Chicago-style deep-dish pizza, contains a crust which is formed up the sides of a deep-dish pan. It reverses the order of some ingredients, using crust, cheese, filling, then sauce on top. Some versions (usually referred to as stuffed) have two layers of crust with the sauce on top. The invention of deep-dish pizza occurred in America and transcends a single ethnic origin. Deep-dish pizza was invented by Ike Sewell and Ric Riccardo and first served in 1943 at Pizzeria Uno, which is still operating along with its twin restaurant, Pizzeria Due, in the River North neighborhood.

chicago-thin-crust-pizza.jpg

Chicago-style thin-crust pizza known in the Chicago area as a "Tavern Pizza", has a thinner crust than Chicago-style deep dish, and is baked flat rather than in a deep dish pan. The crust is thin and firm enough to have a noticeable crunch, unlike a New York-style pizza, yet thick enough to be soft and doughy on the top. The crust is invariably topped with a liberal quantity of southern-Italian style tomato sauce, which is usually quite herbal or highly spiced, and typically contains no visible chunks of tomato. Next, a layer of toppings is added, and a layer of mozzarella cheese which frequently separates from the bottom crust due to the quantity of tomato sauce. Chicago-style thin crust pizzas are cut into three-to-four-inch (8–10 cm) squares, also known as "party cut", as opposed to a "pie cut" into wedges. Chicago-style thin crust pizza is prevalent throughout the Midwestern US.

F88nCQrA4wr32w-640m.jpg

Detroit-style pizza is also known as Sicilian Square Pizza.[1] It is a square pizza, with a thick deep-dish crust with toppings placed under the sauce.

20110406-quad-cities-style-pizza.jpg

Quad City-style pizza is a thin crusted dough that has a “spice mix” that is heavy on malt which lends a toasted, nutty flavor. The sauce contains both red chile flakes and ground cayenne, the smooth, thin tomato spread is more spicy than sweet. The sausage is a thick blanket of lean, fennel-flecked Italian sausage that’s ground twice and spread from edge to edge.

4f8018f6f72672387345_07cbe59984.jpg

St. Louis-style pizza is a variant of Chicago-style thin crust that is popular around St. Louis, Missouri and southern Illinois. The most notable characteristic of St. Louis-style pizza is the distinctive Provel cheese used instead of (or rarely in addition to) the mozzarella common to Chicago-style thin crust. The toppings are usually sliced instead of diced. If ordered with sausage or hamburger, the meat is squeezed off by hand into marble-sized chunks. The crust is thin enough that it becomes very crunchy in the oven and is sometimes compared to a cracker. Even though the crust is round, it is always cut into small squares.

draft_lens19491609module159267335photo_1339570836.jpg

Greek pizza is a variation popular in New England; its name comes from it being typical of the style of pizzerias owned by Greek immigrants. It has a thicker, chewier crust and is baked in a pan in the pizza oven, instead of directly on the bricks. Plain olive oil is a common part of the topping, as well as being liberally used to grease the pans and crisp the crust. Variations in other parts of the country include using feta cheese, Kalamata olives, and Greek herbs such as oregano.

Hawaiian_pizza_1.jpg

Hawaiian pizza has Canadian bacon (or sliced ham) and/or bacon with pineapple toppings with Mozzarella cheese. This type of pizza is especially popular in the western United States, and is also a popular topping combination in Australia, Canada, and Sweden, but notably not in Hawaii. This type is also common within the EU, where it is known as pizza Hawaii.

592x323-56.jpg

New Haven-style pizza, also known as apizza, is popular in Connecticut. It has a thin crust that varies between chewy and tender, depending on the particular establishment. The default version is a "white" pizza topped with only garlic and hard cheeses; customers who want tomato sauce or mozzarella cheese have to ask for them explicitly. Apizza has a very dark, "scorched" crisp crust that offers a distinctive bitter flavor, which can be offset by the sweetness of tomatoes or other toppings. New Haven-style pizza is traditionally cooked in brick ovens.

7921448_orig.jpg

New York-style pizza is a style originally developed in New York City by immigrants from Naples, where pizza was created. It is often sold in generously sized, thin and flexible slices. It is traditionally hand-tossed, moderate on sauce, and moderately covered with cheese essentially amounting to a much larger version of the Neapolitan style. The slices are sometimes eaten folded in half, or even stacked, as its size and flexibility may otherwise make it unwieldy to eat by hand. This style of pizza tends to dominate the Northeastern states, and is very similar to the basic style common through the United States and known simply as pizza. Many pizza establishments in the New York metropolitan area offer two varieties of pizza: "Neapolitan", or "regular", made with a relatively thin, circular crust and served in wedge-shaped slices, and "Sicilian", or "square", made with a thicker, rectangular crust and served in large, rectangular slices. Another type of pizza, popular on Long Island as well as the five boroughs, is Grandma pizza. It is cooked in a square pan like Sicilian, but it is much thinner. It has a thin, crispy crust, usually has tomato chunks in addition, or in exception, to the sauce. Generally, it will contain less cheese than regular slices, and sometimes has extra spices or oils baked into the crust.

Old-Forge-pizza.jpg

Old Forge style pizza is typically rectangular in shape with a balanced tangy sauce, and topped with a creamier cheese, similar to fontina or white American, on a crispy thicker crust. Old Forge style pizza is served at many restaurants in Northeastern Pennsylvania and as far away as Michigan, Florida, and Colorado.

What now?

Talk about pizza.
Post pictures of pizza.
Share pizza recipes.

Enjoy!

I'm loving pizza less and less I wonder what changed?

maybe I just live in an area with shitty pizza or they just don't make them like they use to

D-Pad

I love pizza! I love this thread!

The best topping, btw, is basil, tomato, and mozzarella cheese.

Oh my. This OP is just... just wonderful.

There was an amazing looking deep dish style pizza on Man Vs Food just the other day. It was like a pie. I was drooling just looking at it.

Diamond

Funny to see the Bacon/Onion/Fresh Cream combo is considered the most successful in France, wasn't aware of that.

It's not really a pizza though, traditionally it's an Alsacian (East of France) dish that's called "Flammekueche" or "Tarte Flambée" and consists of just bread dough (since traditionally the farmers made these to celebrate the baking of bread), cream, onions and diced bacon. A lot of pizzerias here have adopted the dish, probably because it's utterly delicious. But it's even better with the right dough, which is a little bit different if you compare it to a classic pizza.

17367554.jpg

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Not much of a fan of Deepdish and Pie style Pizza. For me its a thin base with no more than 4 toppings.

Best OP ever ?

Deserved to be quoted. Nedroid is still awesome, though I'm not sure why anyone would kick out pizza in the first place.

Edit:
Flammkuchen (Tarte flambée) deserves to be mentioned as a sort-of pizza.

Edit 2:
See below. Extremely popular in Alsacian/Palatinate.

DARLENE is on a diet

Nyx

theyre both wonderful.

You know what, I concur.

Though Domino's is one of my least fav chains, here in The Netherlands at least they changed the recipe for deepdish pizzas a few years ago, removing the awesome cheesecrust that was on it normally.

Since then I rarely get a pizza from there.

Probably a dumb question, but what is Double Meat?

I think they mean double ''gehakt'' ;-)

Rad-

Probably my favorite pizza (this picture is the closest I found with google pics):

dww_bbq_chicken.jpg

Chicken, BBQ sauce, bacon, blue cheese and onions.

BBQ is fucking strange because by all sense in the world it shouldn't fit into Pizza. But it just works. Same with eggs. Ever had eggs in a pizza as a filling? Surprisingly good.

coldvein

Banned
You know what, I concur.

Though Domino's is one of my least fav chains, here in The Netherlands at least they changed the recipe for deepdish pizzas a few years ago, removing the awesome cheesecrust that was on it normally.

i've eaten a fair amount of pizza in italy, and i love it..but whenever i go over there for a while and return to america i always enjoy getting back to a 5 lb. heavy greasy american delivery pizza. the whole world of pizza is just so awesome all across the board.

Ydahs

So am I the only one that orders pineapple on all pizzas, no matter the type? Seems like a common thing to do down under.

Arjen

You know what, I concur.

I think they mean double ''gehakt'' ;-)

Ah, makes sense, thanks.

Omikaru

This OP makes me want pizza. Best food ever. Good thing I'm having one tomorrow at a local pizzeria. Will take pics just before I eat it. :D

Jezbollah

In my village in Italy, they have breakfast pizza.

Fresh out of the oven, light dough with a tomato and herb topping, with optional peppers, ham and mushrooms. Grab a large slice, fold it, wrap it in paper and take it to go. Amazing way to start the day.

Top Bottom