• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pizza |OT| Food of the Gods

Truant

Maybe I'm weird, but I crave either a super-thick and juicy crust, or super-thin and crispy one. Not a fan of anything in the middle.

JAY the BIRD

Neo Member
Moving to San Diego. Anyone know of some awesome spots for legit pizza? (not that typical california fancy stuff, even though that can be good from time to time).

Awesome thread by the way.

My favourite pizza ever was in a small place in Florence called 'Gusta Pizza'. It has been voted the best pizza in Florence, and even greater Italy numerous times. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

Seanspeed

Banned
R0ikr.gif

Favorite is New York style. We've luckily got a genuwine Italian pizzeria right down the street that makes amazing pizzas(and also fantastic everything else, especially hot wings). Love me some big old thin slices. And some blue cheese dressing to dip the crust in.

I'm eating pizza today.

So am I the only one that orders pineapple on all pizzas, no matter the type? Seems like a common thing to do down under.

Best pizza ever is pineapple, bacon (AMERICAN bacon), mozzarella, Parmesan, cilantro, finely chopped fresh jalapeno, with blue cheese dressing instead of tomato sauce.

Try it. All of you.

Sotha Sil

Funny to see the Bacon/Onion/Fresh Cream combo is considered the most successful in France, wasn't aware of that.

It's not really a pizza though, traditionally it's an Alsacian (East of France) dish that's called "Flammekueche" or "Tarte Flambée" and consists of just bread dough (since traditionally the farmers made these to celebrate the baking of bread), cream, onions and diced bacon. A lot of pizzerias here have adopted the dish, probably because it's utterly delicious. But it's even better with the right dough, which is a little bit different if you compare it to a classic pizza.

Yeah, I really wouldn't call a Flammekueche a "pizza". Delicious though.

And delicious thread.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
This thread is making me hungry.

Pineapple shouldn't be on pizza, but whatever, I'll eat if if there's nothing left.

D.Lo

Yes, magic food.

Those fact sheets are completely wrong about Australia though, which makes me doubt them altogether.

'Aussie' pizza on menus here is egg and bacon (bacon is side bacon here), not 'shrimp (whcih we call prawns) and bbq sauce'. And the most popular pizza is most likely bbq meatlovers, which has several kinds of processed meat and bbq sauce on the base instead of tomato.

Seafood pizza is often available but isn't particularly popular, and as far as I have seen has never been referred to as 'Australian style'. The 'shrimp' myth most likely comes back to an Australian tourism ad in the US where Paul Hogan said 'chuck another shrimp on the barbie', something most Australians would never say because we dont call them shrimp and most prawns are bought pre-cooked anyway!

Claude

Catalina's bitch
We should have GAF members take pictures of themselves feeding someone or something pizza.

Bonus point if you feed pizza to another GAF member or mod.

Micerider

Oh my...I crave Pizzas.

My favorite : Italian style with Parma ham (paper thin, not cooked, but dropped in large slices on top of the cooked pizza) and Ruccola (same).

I'm also not too much into the american-style pizza : too greasy, way too much cheese (which itself is too often of poor quality). The perfect way is some small slices of "Di Buffala" mozzarela.

Wubby

Squid on pizza isn't bad. I really like this mayonnaise seafood pizza I can get here in Japan. I love mayo and it was so refreshing to get a pizza that didn't use tomato sauce.

Rad-

Squid on pizza isn't bad. I really like this mayonnaise seafood pizza I can get here in Japan. I love mayo and it was so refreshing to get a pizza that didn't use tomato sauce.

Mayo pizzas are sold here too but they are called Hamburger Pizzas. I personally didn't like them that much.

Natetan

I also love new York style pizza big slices of sloppy pieces folded over gaaah I want some now with Italian seasoning chili flakes and parmasean.

Do love Sicilian style the breach pieces are really good.

Also like really thin crispy crust pizza too.

My favorite delivery pizza chain is pizza-la.

In the us I always ordered from local pizza places. One place was thin and cut the pieces into squares. Mmmmm

SKINNER!

Banned
Although pizzas from local restaurants and pizzerias will always be superior to chains/franchise places, Pizza Express's pizzas are just heaven on a plate compared to the shit that they sell in Pizza Hut and Dominoes. Fresh dough and ingrediants are used and the pizza is made right in front of your face (like sushi places). If you're in the UK and can't find a local place to get good pizza then give Pizza Express a go. Also, all Pizza Express restaurants have their own unique swanky interior so it's classy enough for dates :)

03eFL.jpg

Should not have clicked this thread when hungry. Damn.

My favourite is Chicago deep dish since they used to make pretty good ones at a local place back in Qazvin, Iran. I dislike chains, Pizza Hut sucks and Dominoes is just ... tolerable.

Mr. Hyde

I make so many pizzas every day so I approve of this thread. You wouldn't believe how many people buy five topping pizzas for $18.99 at Whole Foods.

peach

Have to represent my home town area in this thread!

6a00d8341c339953ef012876050977970c-800wi

6a00d8341c339953ef0120a7027d22970b-800wi

Ohio Valley-style pizza is cooked in a pan and is square. What gets cooked is the flaky crust topped with a slightly sweet tomato sauce. You order by the slice. When the pie comes out of the oven it is quickly cut and freshly grated provolone is sprinkled on top. The cheese gets topped with a couple slices of pepperoni, placed in half a pizza box which then gets folded in half and secured with a rubber band.

The key is that the cheese is put on AFTER baking.

There is nothing like it and people who grew up and moved away usually get it when they come home for holidays.

Recently, some transplants opened up a shop in Myrtle Beach.

SKINNER!

Banned
Rocket on a pizza? Instant win.

FSFRF.gif

my man!

Also, Roasted cherry tomatoes is way better than normal tomatoe slice. They just so juicy!

Other favourite toppings: Mushrooms, spinach and goat's cheese. I'm also in the pro-pineapple camp. Gives it quite a funky flavour.

Davey Cakes

Greek-style pizza can burn in hell. I live in New England and Greek holes in the wall with the same exact style of crappy pizza are everywhere. New York really has the advantage when it comes to finding good pizza right off the street. The difference between there and here is massive in that regard.

Overall my favorite kinds of pizzas are New York style and brick oven Italian thin crust.

I know it's not the top of the line, but I went to Bertucci's a couple of days ago and had a Stella pizza (peppers, eggplant, portobello mushroom) on whole wheat crust. It was delicious, if a little skimpy on the toppings. The best pizza I've had is probably at Pizzeria Regina at the Depot in Allston, MA. It's like Bertucci's but just a tad better. Expensive, but you pay for quality.

These days I'm much more selective about pizza. It's a great food but it's not particularly healthy so I treat it more as an indulgence. I won't just say "I feel like a pizza" on some random night and order from a local place. I'll plan out a pizza dinner at one of the restaurants I know that serves up-to-snuff pizza because it's just not worth it otherwise.

Top Bottom