• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plasma, LCD, OLED, LED, best tv for next gen

I noticed a little bit of banding on my 55b6 while playing Soma the other day. It's nothing compared to my older tv, but it was definitely there in scenes with a lot of solid grey.

I could probably trigger it again with a white screen on google chrome, but I'm gonna live in ignorance and hope an eventual comp cycle helps.

Kyoufu

Hooked up the PS4 to the E6 and wow, everything looks vibrant and crisp.

Also, I booted up an FPS and I feel no input lag, coming from somebody who is very sensitive to latency I'm very pleased. I thought I'd feel the lag coming from a 16ms plasma but nope, buttery smooth.

Haven't seen any banding yet, even when I loaded up BBC iPlayer again today with the grey background I couldn't spot anything.

Tested my Bluetooth Bose QC35s as well and it works well. So far, I'm one happy chappy.

finalflame

FLDCav0.jpg

It has landed boys. Now to get the new media center + BD-K8500 setup after I'm done working for the day. Sure does get harder to concentrar while working from home when this box is taunting me.

Ok so I plan on spending no more than 2k on a new tv. Def 4K would love a 70" but 65" at minimum. What's hdr and do I need it? I plan on prob getting the new Xbox and using my pc. Also watching Netflix, 4K blu Rays etc. I'm in the US if that matters.

Meh3D

People returning thier KS8000's is making me nervous.

I only returned mine because I went in to buy a temporary cost effective solution while I save up for a OLED set or the next best thing (and get a new apt.)

I walked out spending 2.8k. I realized I fucked up and just returned everything unopened. I'm planning on picking up the 49" KS8000 which is on sale. Debating on the P55 but since I'm going to be watching more movies and I want to focus on HDT the KS8000 is the best for me.

hitgirl

Just buy a 1080p if you plan on saving for a bit. Dunno, I don't see the urgency on jumping to 4k at this point. But that's just me.

Wounded

Think I'm going with the B6. The C6 is £200 more and has the better input lag but is also curved which I'm not 100% sold on.

Anyone with a C6, how do you find it?

Cheers.

zooL

C6 also has the best 3D you can get. The curve is not that bad and worth it for better input lag and 3D in my opinion. I got the 9100 and didn't want the curve, but after a month you forget it's there.

When is the ZD9 coming out? I hope there are reviews very shortly after release. Going to delay my OLED purchase to see what's going on with that thing.

vivftp

When is the ZD9 coming out? I hope there are reviews very shortly after release. Going to delay my OLED purchase to see what's going on with that thing.

I've been seeing late August / early September for the 65" and 75" models. I'd imagine reviews would come out just before they hit the market.

asdad123

There it is. Picture looks great! Well worth it for the price. My other choice was a KS9000 which was about $2000 less, but I figured I'm going to be watching it every day, so I might as well just go all out.

Any suggestions on warranties? I see LG offers a 3 year warranty for about $350. I dont usually get warranties on TV's, but I'm afraid of something that I paid $4000 for crapping out after a year.

There it is. Picture looks great! Well worth it for the price. My other choice was a KS9000 which was about $2000 less, but I figured I'm going to be watching it every day, so I might as well just go all out.

Any suggestions on warranties? I see LG offers a 3 year warranty for about $350. I dont usually get warranties on TV's, but I'm afraid of something that I paid $4000 for crapping out after a year.

I understand your fear.
If a TV doesn't die within the first year, it's typically not going to die if proper care is taken.

Kyoufu

I understand your fear.
If a TV doesn't die within the first year, it's typically not going to die if proper care is taken.

Recently had a TV die after 13 months lol.

Get a multi-year warrant for something you just spent a lot of money on and intend to use every day.

Impulsor

SO I'm finally risking it and getting a replacement, tomorrow they bring the new unit.

Lets see how good it turns out to be

ukas

The Costco warranties are supposed to be good. I have mine through Amazon though.

http://www.costco.com/squaretrade-tv.html

Recall

So I have an old ViewSonic monitor that has a wide range of inputs. S-Video, AV, HDMI, Scart, the whole works perfect for all my retro consoles and my retron5. But it has recently began playing up and I need a replacement, do modern models have the same inputs or is it impossible these days to find a TV/Monitor with AV and s-video inputs?

Cheers.

Decado

Vizio p65-c1 showing up in canada. Price is making my testicles retract, but it is still lower than the ks8000.

Now if have to get serious whether I want to buy or wait. I hear the set is better in lower light environments. My condo faces north and a bit east and I like to keep it dim, but there is still natural light during the day. This an issue?

HDR10 firmware released for 2016 P Series & 2016 M Series displays. Will roll out over the next week to users.

This was just posted on Twitter by Vizio CTO Matt McRae.

HDR10 Firmware Release

The firmware has passed QA and we will begin the rollout tonight. Once again, I will ask that you make sure your HDR player's firmware is up to date. And make sure you are using a high quality, high speed HDMI cable (we saw artifacts on lesser versions). For those that have an HDR player at home and want to get the firmware ASAP. PM your serial number and "HDR Firmware" in the subject line. I'll get you whitelisted so you can get the update earlier in the queue. Due to the loose aspects of the HDR spec and differences we are seeing between players, titles, etc... please post which player and title you are using if you run into issues. We are buying more models to test in house as they become available. NOTE: This release is for BOTH 2016 P Series and 2016 M Series.

From AVS, posted by Matt as well.

Kyoufu

Thanks to the E6 I've never enjoyed watching TV as much as I am now. So much so that I've just binged season 4 of Breaking Bad in a day and a half. It has actually exceeded my expectations.

outsidah

Take this with a grain of salt, because I am picky... but while the Vizio P series is impressive, it just did not wow me enough to get rid of my old Samsung 1080p. Don't get me wrong, the Vizio is really nice, but I couldn't get the OLED's out of my head. Now those look like a step up in the "future". Just some food for thought for those of you on the fence on upgrading your 1080 set.

Meh3D

Take this with a grain of salt, because I am picky... but while the Vizio P series is impressive, it just did not wow me enough to get rid of my old Samsung 1080p. Don't get me wrong, the Vizio is really nice, but I couldn't get the OLED's out of my head. Now those look like a step up in the "future". Just some food for thought for those of you on the fence on upgrading your 1080 set.

Same here, I'm loving those blacks on the OLED and love the how bright the HDR can get on those Samsung KS9000 TV's. But I already sold my really nice Samsung 1080P and now I've no TV. Using my Macbook or workstation for Netflix.

Just buy a 1080p if you plan on saving for a bit. Dunno, I don't see the urgency on jumping to 4k at this point. But that's just me.

I had an AWESOME Samsung 1080 P for 4.5 years and I sold it already. I sold it because I have an itch for 4K and HDR. Perhaps maybe even playing World of Warcraft at 4K.

Speaking of World of Warcraft I think my 3X Dell IPS 2412s are hard to beat because of how wide they are. I literally do not turn my head, I just use my peripheral vision in battle grounds.

I would really want to watch, play, and create some 4K content. Especially curious how some iPhone 6S videos I shot come out. I held off on a 4K go pro because I have no device that can play it. (I took my 1080P 129$ GoPro to Rio and took some amazing videos though I wish I bought the 4K capable one.)

The KS8000 49" is the same price for what I paid for my 42" Samsung 1080P TV. I'm itching for it though I know I have other things that need my time more. (Personal development, find an apt, shopping around to see what I'm worth now that I have a masters, etc..)

finalflame

Absolutely loving my 65" KS8000 so far. Such a huge upgrade from my previous TV (LG 49UF6400). The OneConnect is a fantastic idea and in my case makes cable management so much easier.

Will post further impressions and pictures once I've had some more time with it/installed some more stuff for my media setup :)

So, apparently the Xbox One S will not be able to output bitstream audio. Which means no Dolby Atmos, which I am hooked up for and ready to be blown away by with the complete UHD package (I have a few Atmos blu-rays, but still). The only other option is the Phillips or the Samsung UHD players, but they don't do Dolby Vision and cost nearly as much as the Xbox One S. Which, to me, seems like a gross waste of money. Every cycle we get one of these stupid format wars and it's always the consumers that suffer. Ugh.

/rant

finalflame

So, apparently the Xbox One S will not be able to output bitstream audio. Which means no Dolby Atmos, which I am hooked up for and ready to be blown away by with the complete UHD package (I have a few Atmos blu-rays, but still). The only other option is the Phillips or the Samsung UHD players, but they don't do Dolby Vision and cost nearly as much as the Xbox One S. Which, to me, seems like a gross waste of money. Every cycle we get one of these stupid format wars and it's always the consumers that suffer. Ugh.

/rant

Agreed, it's frustrating. I'm also not getting the One S due to lack of bitstream. It is worth noting the UBD-K8500 is on sale for ~$319.99 on Amazon and Best Buy right now, though.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A9V6OI6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

So at least it's cheaper than the One S 2TB. I picked it up, as I really have no interest in XBOX as a console and my TV's smart features are all I need for other media consumption. The price drop makes the blow a little easier...using it as my holdover until the Oppo is out later this year OR the PS4 Neo, if it has bitstream support.

Kyoufu

Agreed, it's frustrating. I'm also not getting the One S due to lack of bitstream. It is worth noting the UBD-K8500 is on sale for ~$319.99 on Amazon and Best Buy right now, though.

So at least it's cheaper than the One S 2TB. I picked it up, as I really have no interest in XBOX as a console and my TV's smart features are all I need for other media consumption. The price drop makes the blow a little easier...using it as my holdover until the Oppo is out later this year OR the PS4 Neo, if it has bitstream support.

PS4 supports Dolby Bitstream so the Neo model should too. That's what I'll be using since I'm getting one for gaming anyway.

$320 is better than $399.99. Do you know if the K8500 outputs atmos through its secondary audio HDMI output?
The price drop makes the blow a little easier...using it as my holdover until the Oppo is out later this year OR the PS4 Neo, if it has bitstream support.
The Oppo is going to be god-tier (as if they're anything but). I wonder if it will wind up being the first Dolby Vision enabled UHD Player. I wouldn't doubt it, if so.

I would like to think the Neo will do bitstream, since the PS4 already does it. It's Sony, though, and they've done worse things before. :p
PS4 supports Dolby Bitstream so the Neo model should too. That's what I'll be using since I'm getting one for gaming anyway.
Yeah, but when's the Neo supposed to come out? Patience isn't my strong suit. :-|

MrJames

I bought the Philips UHD player for $300 to use until the Oppo comes out. Uses the same chipset as the Panasonic coming out in September.

I bought the Philips UHD player for $300 to use until the Oppo comes out. Uses the same chipset as the Panasonic coming out in September.
I was thinking of picking up the Phillips, but its app support is paltry. I don't know if/when that is bound to change, either.

Beyond that, I like the small form factor of the Phillips. The impressions have been positive so far, in regards to PQ and performance, too.

flozuki

Thanks to the E6 I've never enjoyed watching TV as much as I am now. So much so that I've just binged season 4 of Breaking Bad in a day and a half. It has actually exceeded my expectations.

ha, seriously the same here. I love binging netflix (even stuff that normaly isn't my cup of tea^^).
Damn, I will get the S for a very good price but since I have no games right now that I want to play on it I hope Sony won't release the Neo in September. Until then I will probably have two UHD-discs and could have waited a little bit longer :D

br3wnor

Choosing between these 2 TV's:

Sony XBR-55X810C
$850

Sony XBR-55X850D
$1150 (Open item at my local best buy)

Is the second TV worth the extra $400? I'll be using it primarily for PC gaming, TV and movies. I'm not a picture quality aficionado but when I saw the X850D in person yesterday at Best Buy, I was really impressed w/ the picture. I saw the 810C last week in a different store and while I think it looked really good I don't remember thinking "Damn, that's nice".

Just trying to get an idea of how much better the 850D is in terms of overall picture quality. I also want to get into 4K Blu Rays as they become more prevalent.

Formosa

Anyone of you have the Sony 850D or the 930D for gaming? Thinking to get a 55" but not sure which one to get. Is the picture on the 930D a lot better than the 850D?

Impulsor

I got my KS9000 replacement today.

It's perfect this time, so yeah, a releif!

Can't wait for my xbox one S so I can watch my UHD Movies and try out the hdr.

MrJames

I was thinking of picking up the Phillips, but its app support is paltry. I don't know if/when that is bound to change, either.

Beyond that, I like the small form factor of the Phillips. The impressions have been positive so far, in regards to PQ and performance, too.

Yeah, I don't really need the app support since I have them all on my E6. The only thing missing is that the TV can't send Dolby Digital Plus or Atmos over ARC or optical. Once a fully capable player is out I'll upgrade to that.

Top Bottom