• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

So I'm like 4-5 hours into Golem and this is pretty unique. I had no idea what to expect from it other than the fact that it had you doing sword fights. It has you exploring a big area where you need specific masks to unlock doors to get to new areas, which you get from killing harder enemies.

There are secrets and treasures all around to look out for, new weapons to pick up, ect. It's almost a rogue-lite in the sense that you go out and collect things in a single run. And when you die, you start back over with a new Golem and have to equip things you found on the previous runs (which are limited, so you may actually care about losing the sword that's hard to farm).

I found it interesting that the game kinda barely explained anything to you. It's just up to you to go out, explore, and figure shit out. It reminds me in some thematic ways to like a Myst or Last Guardian kind of game with the minimalist approach.

I'm playing with the PS3 Navigation controller and a Move. I can't stand that it doesn't have smooth movement. It's snap turns only. So you ge the typical issue where you can walk down a corridor and are always moving at a diagonal because the snap turns don't line up with the hallway. I fucking hate that! The sword fighting is good and the story is a bit heavy at the beginning, but once the game starts, it's way better than I expected.

still to play Golem, it never released here. Anyway, it was one of the most anticipated psvr games but kinda faded in irrelevancy because devs were locked away in their ivory tower for too long. When they finally stepped away, from interviews their references in VR were still Batman VR :messenger_tears_of_joy:

its main gameplay mechanic, the sword fighting with parrying, has been bettered in Until you Fall and also put to good use in Shadow Legend.

I think rogue-lite is perfect for VR indies. It gives replay value that is otherwise lacking in content in budget titles. My favorite rogue-lites on psvr are Until you Fall, Trickster, The Persistence, Stardust Odyssey and Battlezone.

Grinchy

Banned
still to play Golem, it never released here. Anyway, it was one of the most anticipated psvr games but kinda faded in irrelevancy because devs were locked away in their ivory tower for too long. When they finally stepped away, from interviews their references in VR were still Batman VR :messenger_tears_of_joy:

its main gameplay mechanic, the sword fighting with parrying, has been bettered in Until you Fall and also put to good use in Shadow Legend.

I think rogue-lite is perfect for VR indies. It gives replay value that is otherwise lacking in content in budget titles. My favorite rogue-lites on psvr are Until you Fall, Trickster, The Persistence, Stardust Odyssey and Battlezone.
Yeah I really like Battlezone and Persistence. I keep forgetting to go back to Persistence. I was on the 3rd floor in the middle of a run if I remember right.

And yeah the strange history of Golem cracks me up a bit. It feels like a game that would have really shined in the launch year. I was able to get a new physical copy for $15 from Amazon and am happy with it for what I paid.

I'll be in when PSVR reaches this form factor:

18299828-picture-of-handsome-man-with-futuristic-glasses.jpg

I don't think the laws of physics will ever afford that, but you're free to believe Hollywood and miss out what we have now. Should still be easier than time travel and flying cars.

MacReady13

Hadn't hooked up my PSVR in a good year or 2. Plugged it all back in 2 days ago and decided to go again on Astrobot. Having already finished it, thought I'd go back and look for all the missing bots... Game is a god damn masterpiece of VR platforming! I am so excited for the inevitable sequel on PSVR2. It's just so cleverly done and looks simply stunning considering the limitations of the PSVR unit. Love it though and truly shows the innovation VR can bring to a 3D platformer.

ABnormal

Hadn't hooked up my PSVR in a good year or 2. Plugged it all back in 2 days ago and decided to go again on Astrobot. Having already finished it, thought I'd go back and look for all the missing bots... Game is a god damn masterpiece of VR platforming! I am so excited for the inevitable sequel on PSVR2. It's just so cleverly done and looks simply stunning considering the limitations of the PSVR unit. Love it though and truly shows the innovation VR can bring to a 3D platformer.

You may be surprised by No man's sky in VR. It has been one of my best experiences on it. The feeling to be inside an immense space, moving on the surface of planets, into caves, under the oceans, and being able to go in and out the atmosphere from inside the game, is glorious. The first time I spent a long time just slowly floating among asteroids, marveling at the sense of scale and distance. And I have yet to try many features: mechs, base building, the entire Origins update, which brings great variety on geology and fauna, etc.
I hope it will be supported by PSVR2. It deserves it.

MacReady13

You may be surprised by No man's sky in VR. It has been one of my best experiences on it. The feeling to be inside an immense space, moving on the surface of planets, into caves, under the oceans, and being able to go in and out the atmosphere from inside the game, is glorious. The first time I spent a long time just slowly floating among asteroids, marveling at the sense of scale and distance. And I have yet to try many features: mechs, base building, the entire Origins update, which brings great variety on geology and fauna, etc.
I hope it will be supported by PSVR2. It deserves it.

I have NMS and I will definitely try it out.

pixelation

Man I've been having a blast playing Creed RtG PVP, other than some tracking issues where it doesn't register my punches or I get tangled up in cords or end up punching my TV/camera.

PSVR completes 4 years in the market today.

my top 10 exclusives:

1. Wipeout Omega Collection
  2. Blood and Truth
  3. Astro Bot
  4. Farpoint
  5. Driveclub
  6. Stardust Odyssey
  7. Resident Evil 7
  8. Tiny Trax
  9. VR Worlds
  10. Bravo Team*

*no joke, I did enjoy it

all in all, an excellent host of exclusive reasons to get a psvr. And Firewall, Rush of Blood, The Last Guardian VR demo among others are left out of the top ten, although still excellent on their own. And that's not counting all pcvr games ported and ports from flat games like Borderlands.

PlayStation to me was the continuation of the greatness that was SNES and psvr was a real game changer in the way we play games. I thank Sony for the past 25 years with a great beginning and closing.

Grinchy

Banned
I think I'm getting close to finishing Golem just based on having 2 hidden trophies left. This has been a fun little adventure game. There are some confusing elements and they really should have patched smooth movement into the game along with a faster walking speed, but I've enjoyed it.

Grinchy

Banned
Well, Golem is now beaten but I was actually confused when it ended. It was just like, "Ok thanks! I'll go save the day for us now that you've done everything else! Later!"

And then it went back to a credits screen where you follow a glowing orb that leaves a trail behind that spells out names, but if you aren't directly behind it, you don't se the names. I didn't know it was even a credits screen until halfway through, which is when I realized I had just beaten the game :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Grinchy

Banned
sadly, it says backwards compatible, so we're all unsure the big graphical overhaul is coming to psvr or it's really restricted to old graphics and blurriness
Oh, really? That's kinda misleading then. It's a trailer for the next-gen update, tells you it's a free update, tells you saves can transfer, then tells you it's PSVR compatible. That would be really annoying if they were being deceptive there.

_DaNiLo_

Neo Member

He was not talking about PSVR2. He was talking about VR as a meaningful component of interactive entertainment.

“I think we’re more than a few minutes from the future of VR,” Ryan said. “PlayStation believes in VR. Sony believes in VR, and we definitely believe at some point in the future, VR will represent a meaningful component of interactive entertainment. Will it be this year? No. Will it be next year? No. But will it come at some stage? We believe that. And we’re very pleased with all the experience that we’ve gained with PlayStation VR, and we look forwarding to seeing where that takes us in the future.”

Wonko_C

It was always going to be 2-3 years after the release of the PS5. Just like with consoles, PSVR2 is going to be a generational leap over its predecessor.

What worries me is that it doesn't seem like we are going to see PS5 games that use the current PSVR to fill the gap in the meantime.

wondermega

Just the fact that I had to dig down a few pages into neogaf to find any mention of this, and then this little discussion about it in the actual main PSVR thread speaks volumes about the state of affairs. It is pretty clear that PSVR has drifted (ha, ha... urk) into the niche for quite awhile now, of that there cannot be any doubt. But to hear Sony speak of it in such dismissive terms, that alone is a bit damning. This is the first time since the device was announced that they've had any kind of official company line where they've kind of walked back from the device/format as a whole. This is not to say the party is over, but it really doesn't bode well for the immediate future and the distance beyond that is a lot murkier now.

I don't care for psvr2 coming in 2+ years as much as the fact that current psvr on PS5 will see no benefits at all

no big games VR support due to increased processing power, no GT7, no Dirt Rally 2, no Project Cars 3 and other games that make sense in VR and that would run perfectly fine on psvr with supersampling 1080p and 120fps. Instead, just boring old PS4 VR blurriness in NMS forever.

sorry, PS5. happy with my Oculus Quest 2 and eventually hooking up to a pc

#noVRnoBUY

Grinchy

Banned
The representative then went on to clarify, “We have not announced PS5 titles for PS VR.”

I'm not jumping on this bandwagon just yet. Until Sony clarifies concretely that this stuff is true, so far, articles are being written based on a "Sony spokesperson" just saying that they haven't announced PS5 titles for PSVR. If (and hopefully it's the case) they are just waiting until they do announce PS5-PSVR1 functionality, then telling people about backwards compatibility is just all they can say in the meantime.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I don't care for psvr2 coming in 2+ years as much as the fact that current psvr on PS5 will see no benefits at all

no big games VR support due to increased processing power, no GT7, no Dirt Rally 2, no Project Cars 3 and other games that make sense in VR and that would run perfectly fine on psvr with supersampling 1080p and 120fps. Instead, just boring old PS4 VR blurriness in NMS forever.

sorry, PS5. happy with my Oculus Quest 2 and eventually hooking up to a pc

#noVRnoBUY

How is this even possible for Sony to stop?

Wonko_C

I was thinking about upgrading from my launch PS4 straight to the PS5, but I feel like I don't need to, at least for now.

Last edited:

Bankai

Wow awesome! I really hope more developers follow suit and give us the max. possible detail/fps/LOD/SSAA possible, on as many PSVR titles as possible. So many titles would benefit from it.. the FPS boost to 90fps alone!

Wonko_C

Hey, at least we could theoretically get GT Sport to unlock every game mode for VR use on PS5. Finally full grid races, single player campaign and multi player races vs flat players!

Not holding my breath for that, though. And I still like Drive Club VR's style more, the country roads are just beautiful to cruise in vs boring race tracks... now that's a game that has zero chance of getting upgraded, sadly.

Shmunter

Hey, at least we could theoretically get GT Sport to unlock every game mode for VR use on PS5. Finally full grid races, single player campaign and multi player races vs flat players!

Not holding my breath for that, though. And I still like Drive Club VR's style more, the country roads are just beautiful to cruise in vs boring race tracks... now that's a game that has zero chance of getting upgraded, sadly.
That would be glorious

RavageX

I was just about to mention that. An update to Driveclub would be amazing....

And I still like Drive Club VR's style more, the country roads are just beautiful to cruise in vs boring race tracks... now that's a game that has zero chance of gettin

yeah, I very much prefer more fun than simulation in my racing. Same crappy circuits in all racing simulations is just downright boring.

yup, GTS got minor updates all the time, but very much doubt they'd give us even with this much like allowing the full game in VR with this extra power...

Romulus

Good news! I am hopeful we will get more updates or even better, new games that take advantage of the PS5 hardware.

Yeah this blows the door wide open on all of them then. They CAN improve psvr games with ps5. Its confirmed here 100%

I Tweeted them about this about a week ago lol

Last edited:

Kev Kev

Yeah this blows the door wide open on all of them then. They CAN improve psvr games with ps5. Its confirmed here 100%

I Tweeted them about this about a week ago lol
i know we already have this thread, but considering how much people dogpile on vr already, and especially recently with people saying its dead and sony abandoned it, this kid of news really deserves its own thread. the haters will still hate but it might at least shut some of them up

Top Bottom