• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon CEO seemingly confirms NX is a console/handheld hybrid

ggx2ac

I am going to read a passage from the Gospel of Iwata which will clarify the NX once it is revealed.

*Clears throat.*

"Please understand."

That is all.

It's an article about the future of Pokemon which naturally touches on Nintendo's future hardware given the connection between the franchise and Nintendo.

Anyway, given that we still don't know what Nintendo is actually calling NX I don't think one can assume that NX's "changing the concept of what's a home console and handheld" means it's one device that's both. If there is no fundamental distinction between handheld games and console games anymore (because different form factors run the same games) I would say that the concept has changed if I were a developer that typically made handheld games only.

If he's referring to a shared development ecosystem when talking about changing the concept of what it means to be a handheld device or a home console device, then what exactly could the NX be?

Nintendo has always referred to the NX code name as a single device- I don't think that has really been questioned (the "brother consoles" was never referred to as NX, that predated the code name). If the NX is blurring the lines between a handheld device and home console device, then we can really only assume it's a device that has features of both. I don't see any other way to read that quote.

trutrutru

Please, read the statement in full.

Your 'is' statement is right there. It is changing what it means to be a gaming device.

If you wanted a definitive statement, it would have been easier for him to reveal the NX then and there. So you can clearly see why he can't give away what the NX is.

By the by, how does having a shared library change the concept of gaming devices? It's not unique, the PS3/PS4/Vita have all had the same games ported to each other. Same deal for Apple devices.

i was specifically talking about "is" as a replacement for when the word "means" appears. What your pointing doesnt at all address the point i was making. What it MEANS to be a portable or home console is different then what it "is" to be these kind of devices. The use of the word "MEANS" can include more than just the fact its a portable or console. What it means to be something can be different from person to person. Where as something simply being something leaves less wiggle room.

As for your question about ps3/vita and apple devices. With ps3 vita Games still needed to be ported between the two. With nintendo, we are talking about a fully shared library in which the same game runs on each device. Ps3/vita doesnt have a shared library because not all games on one system ran on the other and you still needed two different pieces of software for the same game in the cases where your statement is actually true. With nintendo we're talking about one gamecart that can play on different devices with the nx platform.

Apple devices have never been considered consoles or handheld devices and therefore not a part of a discussion about those kind of devices. This is still something different as far as the "console/handheld" space is concerned. A space,despite some overlap, apple products are not a part of.

"Got Anymore brain busters?"

Koyuga

It's time

b53e1f4b1265d7d797f01c521b864280d98f7fc300117fce16db1357fddfc027.jpg

...is that blastoise in Uncharted 1?

ggx2ac

i was specifically talking about "is" as a replacement for when the word "means" appears. What your pointing doesnt at all address the point i was making. What it MEANS to be a portable or home console is different then what it "is" to be these kind of devices. The use of the word "MEANS" can include more than just the fact its a portable or console. What it means to be something can be different from person to person. Where as something simply being something leaves less wiggle room.

As for your question about ps3/vita and apple devices. With ps3 vita Games still needed to be ported between the two. With nintendo, we are talking about a fully shared library in which the same game runs on each device. Ps3/vita doesnt have a shared library because not all games on one system ran on the other and you still needed two different pieces of software for the same game in the cases where your statement is actually true. With nintendo we're talking about one gamecart that can play on different devices with the nx platform.

Apple devices have never been considered consoles or handheld devices and therefore not a part of a discussion about those kind of devices. This is still something different as far as the "console/handheld" space is concerned. A space,despite some overlap, apple products are not a part of.

"Got Anymore brain busters?"

Sure, how does sharing the same game cards change the concept of a gaming device?

The PC-Engine used HuCards and had a portable device that could use those same HuCards to play the same game on a portable device. The concept isn't new.

Even the Sega Nomad took literal Genesis cartridges to play games.

This is not unique.

Diffense

@Skittzo0413

How much have they really said about what NX is? I think they have been very vague but perhaps I haven't followed all the news. It could very well be a hybrid. However I don't think that has been confirmed by Ishihara or anyone else.

Speely

Banned
But what if it's nothing to do with hybrid and it's a totally new and different concept?

It's hard to imagine a new and different concept that would not effectively be a hybrid if we consider that Nintendo is unifying development and still wants people to play both at home and on the go.

That said, I am sort of intrigued by the possibility of it being completely different and new in such a way that it deviates from the common conception of a "hybrid" so much that the term doesn't apply.

I just can't imagine what that could be. I guess that's why I am not a Nintendo engineer, though.

TLZ

Banned
I am going to read a passage from the Gospel of Iwata which will clarify the NX once it is revealed.

*Clears throat.*

"Please understand."

That is all.

When it's revealed, anything you quote from the past will be completely unnecessary and pointless. Everyone would be engulfed with what it is and that's all what matters going forward.

TLZ

Banned
That said, I am sort of intrigued by the possibility of it being completely different and new in such a way that it deviates from the common conception of a "hybrid" so much that the term doesn't apply.
Yes that's what I'm hoping for. I'm really hoping Nintendo changes the landscape once again. I want to not be able to stand on my feet and having to sit down while taking it all in, trying to comprehend what I'm looking at, as if it's something from the year 3000 :p

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I'm sorry to those who are pleased. But this is terrible news to me.

I don't think they're going to succeed.Trying to do everything will ultimately bring destruction to both their handheld and console lines.

They'll end up holding up the mobile initiative, and that will become their refuge.

I don't think they're going to succeed.Trying to do everything will ultimately bring destruction to both their handheld and console lines.

They'll end up holding up the mobile initiative, and that will become their refuge. It's written on the walls, this is horrible.
I can't imagine the dock or whatever is an expensive component, it's basically a handheld with all of Nintendo's output that benefits from console exclusive features like local/party multiplayer. I think almost everything needs to go wrong for it not to succeed.

trutrutru

Sure, how does sharing the same game cards change the concept of a gaming device?

The PC-Engine used HuCards and had a portable device that could use those same HuCards to play the same game on a portable device. The concept isn't new.

This is not unique.

Sorry, missed the part of the quote that specifically said they were changing the "what it means" to be a portable or console with something brand new.

Nintendo has historically tried to improve gaming using technologies that have existed previously (usually outside of gaming). Although, as you've pointed out, this isnt a new concept to gaming. But there is no challenging the fact that this concept is NOT a characteristic of the portables/console business. It is not the norm. Not at all something that defines the console/handheld space. And despite not being a new concept, would still change how we game on handhelds/consoles today.

Had that concept been executed well before and become the industry norm, you'd have a point. But because it didnt. You dont. Therefore it still changes what it means to be a handheld/console in the industry today, for both consumers AND game developers/publishers.

Speely

Banned

They'll end up holding up the mobile initiative, and that will become their refuge. It's written on the walls, this is horrible.

I feel completely opposite. Bringing all their talent onto one platform while allowing for home and portable play is exactly what a company like Nintendo, who makes some of the best games in the world, should do. If they know they cannot compete in a hardware power race, leaning on the strength of their software and providing it for as many lifestyles/situations as possible makes sense to me. A lot.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
And after I went back n forth about the hybrid, non hybrid thing.

I shoulda went with my first instinct.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I said this a long time ago, but it frankly makes sense that Nintendo officers, even Iwata, might flat-out lie about the NX not being a hybrid early on. Not just because of their competitors, but to avoid scaring their shareholders. For all that the Wii U didn't do well, Nintendo's successful business model of a console paired with a fully separate but complimentary handheld had been solid until now.

I don't know. It hasn't been announced yet. I am just hoping that it's not like the Wii U which forces you to look down at a tablet while playing at your TV.

Well, we can only go off of the rumors, which is why we're here in the first place lol. The rumors said you'll dock the NX to connect to the tv, so there won't be any looking down at the tablet.

Sounds like you'll connect it to the t.v. and you can take the two controllers apart, maybe attach them, to play your games. I'm sure they'll have a standard controller also.

ggx2ac

Sorry, missed the part of the quote that specifically said they were changing the "what it means" to be a portable or console with something brand new.

Nintendo has historically tried to improve gaming using technologies that have existed previously (usually outside of gaming). Although, as you've pointed out, this isnt a new concept to gaming. But there is no challenging the fact that this concept is NOT a characteristic of the portables/console business. It is not the norm. Not at all something that defines the console/handheld space. And despite not being a new concept, would still change how we game on handhelds/consoles today.

Had that concept been executed well before and become the industry norm, you'd have a point. But because it didnt. You dont. Therefore it still changes what it means to be a handheld/console in the industry today, for both consumers AND game developers/publishers.

So if I understand you correctly, what was a norm with the Sega Gamegear, Sega Nomad and PC-Engine GT invalidates my point just because it failed to become a norm due to technological constraints in the past that made it difficult to become a norm for at least some arbitrary number of generations.

Which means that apparently, the NX is not a hybrid but a separate console and handheld with the same internals but are devices that act independent of each other but use the same game cards that is a "brand new concept" that does more for trying to cater to the needs of demographics in different countries than a hybrid device...

Edit: and apparently does more than porting said games.

AmyS

This is not unique.

Speaking of the PC Engine.

PC Engine LT
bXqa0vr.jpg

LT with the CD-ROM docking station interface
lH4L9ts.jpg

;)

@Skittzo0413

How much have they really said about what NX is? I think they have been very vague but perhaps I haven't followed all the news. It could very well be a hybrid. However I don't think that has been confirmed by Ishihara or anyone else.

I agree that it hasn't been confirmed by this quote, but it's very heavily hinted at. I would go so far as to say it's been all but confirmed.

Nintendo themselves have indirectly confirmed that the NX is one piece of hardware when they offered an NX signed by Miyamoto as the official prize for the Uniqlo t-shirt contest. If the NX is one device, a physical piece of hardware, then I don't see any other way the quote in the OP can be understood than the NX being a handheld home console hybrid.

ggx2ac

Yes indeed, it could, unlike the PC Engine GT / TurboExpress (AFAIK).

PC-Engine was so awesome. Too bad I never knew of it back then.

(Playing Castlevania Rondo of Blood on the Wii VC showed me how cool it was playing 2D games with CD quality audio.)

Diffense

I agree that it hasn't been confirmed by this quote, but it's very heavily hinted at. I would go so far as to say it's been all but confirmed.

Nintendo themselves have indirectly confirmed that the NX is one piece of hardware when they offered an NX signed by Miyamoto as the official prize for the Uniqlo t-shirt contest. If the NX is one device, a physical piece of hardware, then I don't see any other way the quote in the OP can be understood than the NX being a handheld home console hybrid.

If we know the NX codename refers to a *single device* and not something more abstract then I would also read the Ishihara quote as implying a device that has features of both a portable and a console.

*laughs*

Everyday I come to GAF to see if there is any new NX news.

I am hoping for more of a beefed up gaming handheld with the ability to play on TV if you wish. I also hope you can have local multiplayer using this device. Also, if Nintendo can fix their software cycle droughts (which they have always had shifting resources between handheld games and console games) everyone will benefit.

At this point, with all the rumors, I would be very surprised if it was anything different.

*laughs*

ggx2ac

If we know the NX codename refers to a *single device* and not something more abstract then I would also read the Ishihara quote as implying a device that has features of both a portable and a console.

If the NX is a separate handheld and home console, are they being sold separately? Bundled together? They have to have the same components since we didn't hear of 2 different internals in the dev kits. Is the dock really not a dock but actually a home console?

Believe me, I am trying to see how this is a new concept compared to having a hybrid but it's not making sense.

The NX is supposed to have a brand new concept and is not supposed to be a simple replacement for the Wii U or 3DS as quoted by Iwata and Kimishima.

Doesn't having a separate handheld and console technically mean that it is a simple replacement?

trutrutru

So if I understand you correctly, what was a norm with the Sega Gamegear, Sega Nomad and PC-Engine GT invalidates my point just because it failed to become a norm due to technological constraints in the past that made it difficult to become a norm for at least 3 Generations...

Which means that apparently, the NX is not a hybrid but a separate console and handheld with the same internals but are devices that act independent of each other but use the same game cards that is a "brand new concept" that does more for trying to cater to the needs of demographics in different countries than a hybrid device...

Yes lol. If its simply not a part of the industry for consumers or developers, providing such a thing would change things and offer something different than what the industry currently offers. Its simple.
Also, Something being the norm within a specific device or a few devices, is not the same as it being a characteristic of hanheld/console gaming in general.

You keep using the term brand new, but nowhere in the quote did i see that term being used. It said it would change what it means to be these devices. Currently, shared library isnt what defines handheld/console gaming. We are talking about THIS quote and what it suggests or doesnt. Nothing else.

Secondly, please remember what we're arguing. Im not arguing that its not a hybrid. Just that the quote doesnt equal hybrid and why, by providing one way i interpret that quote. Like i said earlier. I actually think it will be a hybrid. But i dont think that quote seals it.

And yes. If it were two devices it would do more to cater to the needs of different regions than a hybrid. Unless we are guaranteed supplemental computing device. They wouldnt need the same intrernals. Computers say hi. And we'd be talking about 2 or so devices rather than the infinite variations/configurations you get with computer gaming.

Again. Lets forget brand new, because it wasnt a part of the quote in question. If we're including info from other quotes then we could just go through quotes that suggest multiple devices on a single platform. Nothing in this quote suggests they are executing the goal of changing what it means to be a console or handheld, with a Brand new idea.

Diffense

If the NX is a separate handheld and home console, are they being sold separately? Bundled together? They have to have the same components since we didn't hear of 2 different internals in the dev kits. Is the dock really not a dock but actually a home console?

Believe me, I am trying to see how this is a new concept compared to having a hybrid but it's not making sense.

The NX is supposed to have a brand new concept and is not supposed to be a simple replacement for the Wii U or 3DS as quoted by Iwata and Kimishima.

Doesn't having a separate handheld and console technically mean that it is a simple replacement?

Well one has to clarify what one means by "new concept". A device that you can hook up to your TV at home and also play on the go is not an absolute novelty either. However, AFAIK, it would be new concept for Nintendo to promote such a machine as their primary platform (though Gamecube had Gameboy Advance player as an addon). Likewise having a console and handheld that are essentially the same platform, playing the same games, but with a different form factor would also be new for Nintendo.

ggx2ac

You keep using the term brand new, but nowhere in the quote did i see that term being used. It said it would change what it means to be these devices. Currently, shared library isnt what defines handheld/console gaming. We are talking about THIS quote and what it suggests or doesnt. Nothing else.

Secondly, please remember what we're arguing. Im not arguing that its not a hybrid. Just that the quote doesnt equal hybrid and why, by providing one way i interpret that quote. Like i said earlier. I actually think it will be a hybrid. But i dont think that quote seals it.

And yes. If it were two devices it would do more to cater to the needs of different regions than a hybrid. Unless we are guaranteed supplemental computing device. They wouldnt need the same intrernals. Computers say hi. And we'd be talking about 2 or so devices rather than the infinite variations/configurations you get with computer gaming.

Again. Lets forget brand new, because it wasnt a part of the quote in question. If we're including info from other quotes then we could just go through quotes that suggest multiple devices on a single platform. Nothing in this quote suggests they are executing the goal of changing what it means to be a console or handheld, with a Brand new idea.

If you only want to argue on the merits of one quote and not include others that backup the statement, this argument is going to go nowhere.

Second, what do you call the games that have cross play with PS3/Vita/PS4 and on Wii U/3DS other than a shared library?

Third, the quote by itself is meaningless without other statements to back it up. What is the NX? What is the concept of a home console? What is the concept of a handheld? How do you change that concept?

Why are you talking about software when it wasn't mentioned in that quote. If you want to talk about only that quote then you can't use Nintendo's merging of architectures to back it up as it's a completely different statement just like you disregarded my other statements.

CrossXOver

Neo Member
I don't think his comments actually directly imply the nx will be a hybrid. All he is doing is making a general statement about what "nx" will bring to both sectors. It actually seems the OP is driving the narrative here the way I see it.

The NX can still and likely will be a platform with multiple devices IMHO.

As a man with a career and a young family with two kids and a wife I game where and when I can. Some nights I find the time to get in front of the TV (rare) and others I have to turn to a portable (more likely than ever now).

The idea to be able to switch between these two while playing the game is almost magical to me given my current situation.

I'm all in.

I don't think his comments actually directly imply the nx will be a hybrid. All he is doing is making a general statement about what "nx" will bring to both sectors. It actually seems the OP is driving the narrative here the way I see it.

The NX can still and likely will be a platform with multiple devices IMHO.

Nintendo had confirmed that the winner of the Uniqlo t-shirt contest will win a signed NX. How is that possible if the code name NX refers to a platform with multiple devices?

Anth0ny

Nintendo NX is one of the top trending topics on Facebook thanks to this "news."

Most of the headlines read "More Pokemon games coming to Nintendo" or something hilariously generic/obvious like that.

Diffense

Nintendo had confirmed that the winner of the Uniqlo t-shirt contest will win a signed NX. How is that possible if the code name NX refers to a platform with multiple devices?

How about a signed Android or a signed iPhone or a signed Wii U for that matter (deluxe or basic)?

I'm just saying. I'm not 100% convinced that we can say it's one hybrid device yet but it could be.

This means nothing. You can sign iPhone or iPad, but it doesn't mean there aren't others or won't be others.

Top Bottom