• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Direct 1/9/2020

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
So if you want everything you'll need both games, both versions expansion passes, and if you have an interest in Pokemon Home that will be a paid service too.

So they'll be adding back in Pokemon that should have been there to begin with alongside what I assume are going to be the 100+ moves they originally deleted.

So $120 for both games and another $120 on top of that for the DLC and a bit more for Home.

Yeah no.

Jooxed

Gold Member
So if you want everything you'll need both games, both versions expansion passes, and if you have an interest in Pokemon Home that will be a paid service too.

So they'll be adding back in Pokemon that should have been there to begin with alongside what I assume are going to be the 100+ moves they originally deleted.

So $120 for both games and another $120 on top of that for the DLC and a bit more for Home.

Yeah no.

I was under the impression is was 30$ for each expansion pass meaning sword or shield not each isle. Knowing Game Freak i'm probably wrong though.

StormCell

I can't shake the perception that Game Freak is just this bad/lazy. They looped the Isle of Armor 2-3 times, which felt like a mistake, then they finally showed the Crown Tundra. And then they can't even fit their entire video into the Direct (ie. it cut off mid-sentence).

Are they even trying?

StormCell

I was under the impression is was 30$ for each expansion pass meaning sword or shield not each isle. Knowing Game Freak i'm probably wrong though.

You're not wrong. They clearly explained that each expansion pass is for each version of the game. One expansion pass gets you Isle of Armor and the Crown Tundra.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance

Certain Pokemon are exclusive to each version's "separate" expansion pass. So you can do the math there.

Edit: Unless the entire expansion pass itself is just $30 then I messed up there.

Last edited:

Fbh

Ok so:

-On the one hand I think an expansion is better than a third version with slightly different content. At least it includes substantial new areas.
I think even business wise it might make sense, instead of having people sell their games to buy the new version they now have to keep them to play the digital expansions.

-On the other hand Nintendo being Nintendo and not really doing the whole "sales an price drops" thing, it means that for years to come the price to play the complete Pokemon Sword/Shield experience has just gone from $60 to $90.... which to me just makes the crap production values all the more ridiculous

Last edited:

Zenaku

The new legendaries bring the total number of Pokemon designs I like this gen up to... 0.

I can find Pokemon I like - and love - in virtually every generation, but this new generation has absolutely nothing I really like design-wise. There are a few pre-evos that look ok, but their final evos lack the same charm.

The cool Pokemon aren't cool enough, the cute Pokemon aren't cute enough, and the ugly Pokemon are- well, I guess they've got them down pat.

It's weird that I can love so many of the Trainer designs and hate so many of the Pokemon designs.

Codes 208

Gold Member

Yeah no.
If youre a completionist, sure. Otherwise normal people will buy one version and the corresponding dlc for that version. And pokemon home isnt a requirment, just an option in the same way as pokemon bank.

Mista

Banned
I feel it’s a rip-off. They haven’t sold me on what they introduced. But hey, I got Shield only and if I feel the first DLC is worth it then I might jump in

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
If youre a completionist, sure. Otherwise normal people will buy one version and the corresponding dlc for that version. And pokemon home isnt a requirment, just an option in the same way as pokemon bank.

And that's fine. I just have my disagreeable opinion on it. And that's all I have to say about it.

Saber

Gold Member
Who would though that they would create DLCs with some pokemon from other gens(which serebii-like fans and GF dick sucking fans says otherwise) just for farm?

GF aways pushing their "limits". Other devs should be astonished by this move.

Now, who wants to guess how little they add?

Mozza

Selling new Pokemon as dlc is untrue, since you can get them through trades. You people are just looking for things to be mad about.

Exactly, just like the mass hysteria about the Pokemon sword and shield games in the first place, then it turns out it's not actually mass hysteria as it's only a few whining people on the internet, and the rest of the mass buying Pokemon fans buy the games and enjoy them, just like the masses will love all these new announcements and the extra DLC packs, of course the whingers will then retreat with the whole tried and tested line, that all the mass market Pokemon buyers are stupid and do not realize they are buying rubbish, just so they can feel good when clearly everybody else is having a great time, and of course the sales figures do not back up their lame arguments. ;)

The core Pokemon fans are sooooo predictable, but always a great source of entertainment on internet forums.

levyjl1988

Banned
This is a good representation of creating a problem and then selling a solution.
I guess the future of gaming is selling back what was available in previous generations so it becomes the norm.
Before there was inputting cheats, now it became microtransactions.

I do feel that GameFreak was rushed to put out the product to make a deadline, collect the money, then put an expansion to alleviate the issues with this game. Dexit, lack of character customization, limiting wild zone area, etc.

Rather than expand they are selling back what we already had before.

I wonder if they will do anything about the pop in and poor textures. There will be memes, before the expansion and after the expansion, perhaps maybe they would have textured that damn tree.

StormCell

Wtf

Is this forum just filled with either Nintendo-haters or Nintendo-fanboys?!

I'm a Nintendo-fan, but I call out bs when I see it ...

I don't believe it. You're not even trying to present facts in your tweet. You heard something entirely different than what was presented and what the rest of us heard.

Daymos

I've got 8 badges now in Sword and am heading to Wyndon for the finals and I think it's a pretty solid game. Challenge level/depth is ok and I think there's decent amount of pokemon to catch. It also looks decent graphic-wise and honestly some of the town music is pretty damn good. Story is pretty thin but that's to be expected. My biggest complaint is probably that the wild area is too small and not overly interesting to explore for a long time, it would have been awesome to fly around a wild area about twice the size of the current one. The game is no perfect 10, or even a 9 by any means, but it's not a bad game at all.

Anyways, I'm hoping they add some more (free) content to Sword/Shield with this direct. More moves, maybe battle modes or types, some more areas to explore would be great. I don't really need any more pokemon though.. 400 is more than I'll ever bother to find.

Last edited:

Roufianos

The new legendaries bring the total number of Pokemon designs I like this gen up to... 0.

I can find Pokemon I like - and love - in virtually every generation, but this new generation has absolutely nothing I really like design-wise. There are a few pre-evos that look ok, but their final evos lack the same charm.

The cool Pokemon aren't cool enough, the cute Pokemon aren't cute enough, and the ugly Pokemon are- well, I guess they've got them down pat.

It's weird that I can love so many of the Trainer designs and hate so many of the Pokemon designs.

Oh god, the designs are fucking awful. And before people call me a Gen Wunner, there's a tonne of Pokemon from the last couple of generations who I love such as Lycanroc, Goodra, Decidueye and Heliosk.

There's literally not one Pokemon from this game who I would carry into another generation. But what do you expect with that clown who created the ice cream line leading on designs in this one.

Anyway, not interested in this. There's no Pokemon I wanna try out and the base game is an awful foundation to build off with its 1998 graphics and animations.

StormCell

Everything that's said here should have been in the base game. It's really pathetic.

They pretty much even admit this. "there's much more to do in the lsle of armour and the crown tundra than the wild area"

You could make that argument about most generations (Yellow, Crystal, Platinum), couldn't you?

Saber

Gold Member
Selling new Pokemon as dlc is untrue, since you can get them through trades. You people are just looking for things to be mad about.

So you don't need the DLC? Just someone who has DLC and is willing to trade?

I think you will need DLCs to even trade.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Can we get the new pokemon without getting the dlc? Has it been confirmed? BTW hook a GAMER up with a job at Wintendo.

Ryu Kaiba

Oh god, the designs are fucking awful. And before people call me a Gen Wunner, there's a tonne of Pokemon from the last couple of generations who I love such as Lycanroc, Goodra, Decidueye and Heliosk.

There's literally not one Pokemon from this game who I would carry into another generation. But what do you expect with that clown who created the ice cream line leading on designs in this one.

Anyway, not interested in this. There's no Pokemon I wanna try out and the base game is an awful foundation to build off with its 1998 graphics and animations.
Fuckin A mate. I hate themed pokemon and most of the new designs are dumb themes. and I wouldn't be upset about an expansion if they had a solid foundation to build on.

StormCell

Every point is true. You saying 'no it isn't' doesn't make it so, troll.
Grrrr, pretty face avatar troll....

- selling new Pokemon as DLC

Wrong. You can trade for all the new Pokemon without paying for the expansion pass. No DLC required.

- forcing fans to pay for 2 passes

Wrong again. You only need to buy 1 pass to get the new areas. One pass gets you the Isle AND the Tundra.

- suddenly game-wide open area is possible

????? WTFTM... Yeah, it's there. I don't get the significance.

- 30 bucks per pass

Only one pass for whichever version you're playing. I guess I can count this as "true" since it is $30 for the pass.

- Dungeons looks like 3DS-game

That's an opinion. I could lazily make the claim that most Switch games look like PS2 games. Doesn't make it true.

mcjmetroid

You could make that argument about most generations (Yellow, Crystal, Platinum), couldn't you?
...YES!

They've been pulling this shit for years.
The difference is back then there wasn't any other option if you wanted more content for the same game.

Top Bottom