• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT11| Well this is exciting

Status
Not open for further replies.

mo60

We'll see, I guess. I'd prefer if Trump doesn't pass the 48% threshold set by McCain and Romney, but the polling is far too close for comfort right now.

I dont think he will hit it, but more than three quarters of those former Taft-Boehner Republicans are going to come home to Trump.

He most likely won't break even 45% on election day so I wouldn't worry about it.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Free wifi on this plane. Hello from 35,000 ft Poligaf.

Anybody got the hookup on debate tickets? I will be in NY on Monday...

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
America has lots of good things, but one thing where the UK is top (aside from Finland when Tove Jansson was active) is political cartoons. The savagery in this:

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...artin-rowson-labour-leadership-result-cartoon

Beautiful.

Even the donkey is a subtle reference to the old 1997 election poster for the Conservatives:

http://fontmeme.com/images/New-Labour-New-Danger-Campaign.png

He's riding the dead donkey of Blair. Such deft subtlety. The background is the dark satanic mills of Blake's England (and did those feet, in ancient times...), with our intrepid hero Don Quixote tilting at Theresa May haplessly; dragging on the poor abused Tom Watson. The PLP rosette so deftly covering the donkey's business end - a sharp retort to some who hide behind the Labour label.

Just marathoned Veep the past few days.

I think it's safe to say I would be more comfortable with Jonah as president than Trump.

(Also Jonah is one of the greatest comedic characters of the past 10 years)

Pixieking

Banned
An actual leadership contest was always going to see Corbyn win. Corbyn was voted-for by Labour members, and various Labour factions/MPs didn't like the result so have done a lot to undermine him. All that's happened is solidify his base even further, presenting him as the everyman-done-wrong by career politicians.

What they should've done is held a secret meeting with Corbyn where MPs pledged to back him, on the proviso he stood down at a certain point-in-time. Considering Corbyn never particularly wanted to be leader, and was essentially talked into it by close friends/colleagues, I'm fairly certain he would've been willing to go along with that plan.

Unfortunately, the in-fighting (especially immediately post-Brexit vote) has broken the party, and everyone knows it.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Remember when Hillary died on 9/11? That was fun.

Anyway I hope Hillary's team has come up with counter zingers.

Trump: you want my answer? Youll fimd it with the 33,000 emails Hillary deleted.
Hillary: I had sex with your wife.

Remember when Hillary died on 9/11? That was fun.

Anyway I hope Hillary's team has come up with counter zingers.

Trump: you want my answer? Youll fimd it with the 33,000 emails Hillary deleted.
Hillary: I had sex with your wife.
I support anything surrounding the charity paintings. More than anything that shows the petty selfish man he is

If Hillary's numbers keep improving, maybe dying was the best thing she could have done for her political career. That's what Cher says, anyway.

Also, we're getting our engagement rings engraved today. <3

Do you think if I tell the fiance I want Hillary's name on the inside of the ring he'd be pissed?

GusBus

Just marathoned Veep the past few days.

I think it's safe to say I would be more comfortable with Jonah as president than Trump.

(Also Jonah is one of the greatest comedic characters of the past 10 years)

2616d52b5.png

teiresias

I love how man of those spouting the old "You want Luckey to be fired for his political views? How dare you!!" are the same people supporting candidates promoting "right to work" laws and having no protections for being fired for being LGBTQ.

Donald J. Trump &#8207;@realDonaldTrump 27m27 minutes ago
The @SenTedCruz endorsement was a wonderful surprise. I greatly appreciate his support! We will have a tremendous victory on November 8th.

3 months ago he wouldn't accept his endorsement.

TELLING IT LIKE IT IS.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the massive disparity in ad spending + ground game is going to lead to a similar result as Missouri's Senate race in 2012 where McCaskill won in a blowout while polling predicted only a moderate victory.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/senate/mo/missouri_senate_akin_vs_mccaskill-2079.html

Final polling average McCaskill +6 she wins by 16.

Not calling the exact margin here, just see Clinton topping out her upper range when all's said and done.

I love how man of those spouting the old "You want Luckey to be fired for his political views? How dare you!!" are the same people supporting candidates promoting "right to work" laws and having no protections for being fired for being LGBTQ.

Yup.

Freedom of speech isn't 'freedom from being fired because your company doesn't want to be associated with your hateful opinions'.

Luckily for Palmer, Oculus and Facebook clearly don't mind.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
What other millennial program can Hillary go on? Is there like a Between Three Ferns with Justin Bieber?

Fox318

Yup.

Freedom of speech isn't 'freedom from being fired because your company doesn't want to be associated with your hateful opinions'.

Luckily for Palmer, Oculus and Facebook clearly don't mind.

He there been cases of say a Hobby Lobby firing a pro choice employee?

Or a company seeing that somebody donated money to a political cause that's different than the CEOs?

I'm always uncomfortable with the idea of a company that affects so many facing scrutiny over what somebody does in their private life.

Yes I understand economic protests and image are responsible for things such as the fall of apartheid and I'd argue other social reforms but I don't really like the idea of a singular employee even one so high up as what's his face being the cause of econmic protests towards Occulus.

I mean I think people should be able to do what they want and if part of that is no buying from companies that they feel go against them values and beliefs more power to them but I'm always fearful about a future where say religious groups refuse to shop at a store because they employ a gay man or maybe an ultra orthodox religious group refuses to go to a pool unless they segregate genders.

Am I off here?

He there been cases of say a Hobby Lobby firing a pro choice employee?

Or a company seeing that somebody donated money to a political cause that's different than the CEOs?

I'm always uncomfortable with the idea of a company that affects so many facing scrutiny over what somebody does in their private life.

Yes I understand economic protests and image are responsible for things such as the fall of apartheid and I'd argue other social reforms but I don't really like the idea of a singular employee even one so high up as what's his face being the cause of econmic protests towards Occulus.

I mean I think people should be able to do what they want and if part of that is no buying from companies that they feel go against them values and beliefs more power to them but I'm always fearful about a future where say religious groups refuse to shop at a store because they employ a gay man or maybe an ultra orthodox religious group refuses to go to a pool unless they segregate genders.

Am I off here?

Like *anything*, if you truly believe in freedom of speech you can't be against economic protests. Hobby Lobby would likely fire a public spokesperson if they came out as pro choice, and that'd be extremely shitty, but it would also be legal and it would protect the public image that Hobby Lobby obviously want to have of being pro life.

Controlling your public image is 100% part of your job when you are a high profile public representative of a company. What things a company does or doesn't fire someone for... we can decide if that company is or isn't shitty and decide what to do with our money.

If you believe in the free market of *ideas* you have to believe that the shitty ideas will naturally be marginalized and the good ones proliferated *without* government intervention. Public backlashes for anti social opinions are part of free speech working.

But that's not the same as firing one of the drones for not agreeing with your politics. Public representatives are held to different standards and very understandably.

Emarv

There's this weird thing where I'm honestly not sure if Fox wants Trump to become president or not? Like, I'm pretty sure their highest ratings come when we have a democratic president and someone to rally against. Wouldn't a Clinton presidency just secure their ratings for another 4-8 years? Idk

Fox318

Like *anything*, if you truly believe in freedom of speech you can't be against economic protests. Hobby Lobby would likely fire a public spokesperson if they came out as pro choice, and that'd be extremely shitty, but it would also be legal and it would protect the public image that Hobby Lobby obviously want to have of being pro life.

Controlling your public image is 100% part of your job when you are a high profile public representative of a company. What things a company does or doesn't fire someone for... we can decide if that company is or isn't shitty and decide what to do with our money.

If you believe in the free market of *ideas* you have to believe that the shitty ideas will naturally be marginalized and the good ones proliferated *without* government intervention. Public backlashes for anti social opinions are part of free speech working.

But that's not the same as firing one of the drones for not agreeing with your politics. Public representatives are held to different standards and very understandably.
But we have regulations in place to prevent a completely free market by preventing people from refusing service based on gender, ethnicity, and in some states sexual orentation.

Should employees be prevented from firing or salary discrimantion based on political beliefs?

Plus where do people see the line as somebody representing a company? Sure we say the CEO of a Wal-Mart but a low level manager that people are unaware of could be the leader of a hate group and your purchases are paying his salary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom