• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT9| The Wrath of Khan!

Status
Not open for further replies.
WHAT.A.TRAINWRECK:

Cpkvn2OWgAAjofZ.jpg:large

trump-melt-final.jpg

http://time.com/4447985/inside-donald-trump-meltdown/

Wow this time piece is pretty amazing:

On calls with Senate campaign donors, Trump often comes up, as moneymen probe for details on coordination with the top of the ticket. “What Trump campaign?” one swing-state Senate campaign manager snapped at a volunteer recently. “We have more offices than they do.”

Internal and public polling suggests that the party will see record numbers of split-ticket voters who shun Trump but remain open to supporting vulnerable congressional candidates. Traditionally, these voters would be among the last targets for the party’s get-out-the-vote effort. But that might change if Trump’s poll numbers remain moribund. That’s why Priebus told the nominee that the RNC would soon decide which voters to prioritize. Trump, who is helping the party collect cash, is mystified by this account. “Why would they state that when I’m raising millions of dollars for them?” he asked TIME.

Like the rest of the party, Trump’s staff has been flummoxed by his political naiveté. They describe a candidate who doesn’t understand the basics of modern campaigns, from why you knock on doors to how to read a poll to why he should be dialing for dollars more aggressively. His headquarters has enough palace intrigue and warring fiefs to rival the fictional badlands of Westeros. “You’re always afraid of getting fired,” says one staffer, “but it’s his fault, not ours.”

These staff members are still cashing checks but have begun to lose faith that their boss can or should win the top prize in American politics. Most highly regarded Republican operatives have stayed away from the campaign, wary of being blackballed for future gigs. “If someone applied for a job and brought in a résumé that had Trump 2016 on it,” says a GOP fundraising consultant, “I wouldn’t give them an interview.”

John Harwood ‏@JohnJHarwood 4m4 minutes ago
Trump: "the polls are closing up very rapidly. I have a whole other group out there that people don't even know about"

SECRET GROUP!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
LOL again with the secret/skewed polling stuff. Unreal. I can't believe our attention spans are so low today that they can't remember 4 years ago.

Trump is doubling down on the founder of ISIS nonsense. I can't deal with this nonsense anymore. Someone is going to get hurt.

Edit: And this email nonsense would have sunk Clinton in any normal campain.

Rewriting history. I guess the US should have stayed in Iraq for another 20-30 years until a thriving democracy was formed. George W. Bush and his administration created the inevitable power vacuum and this is widely known by anyone that doesn't get their news from Donald Trump speeches.

Diablos

Trump is doubling down on the founder of ISIS nonsense. I can't deal with this nonsense anymore. Someone is going to get hurt.
Eh Obama has been called a terrorist in a variety of ways from the far right since 08. Nothing new and the spotlight isn't on him. It's Hillary you should be worried about.

What's insane is Trump's 2nd amendment comment basically implying that maybe someone should take Hillary out before she turns the SCOTUS into a liberal court should she become our next Pres. That is pretty awful. What's even worse are people like Ryan downplaying it as a bad joke. Even if it was there should be no tolerance for that when it comes from a nominee who many people believe word for word, who has already smeared Hillary as being a terrible person that she really isn't. At worst she would be incompetent when dealing with secure communications.

gcubed

Like use Gmail.

Honestly, if you are using an IT run server right now at any of these places you should be fired. GApps w/ 2FA mandatory and fire the rest of your IT staff

LOL again with the secret/skewed polling stuff. Unreal. I can't believe our attention spans are so low today that they can't remember 4 years ago.
But this time is different!

I'm of the opinion that the sites this time know it's bullshit but are catering to the idiots for clicks

Dierce

I think at this point the Clinton campaign should counter the leak by releasing the emails on their own and redact any personal information like social security numbers, addresses, credit card numbers. Even if they don't I don't think it would be a big deal since they are probably going over everything and creating measures. It is just important to take control of the narrative before it becomes a talking point a month or a few weeks before the election.

thefro

Murphy catching up to Rubot

Politico said:
Democratic U.S. Rep. Patrick Murphy is catching up to Sen. Marco Rubio and is nearly tied with him in a new Quinnipiac University poll that suggests Donald Trump is a drag on the incumbent Republican.

Rubio has a marginal 3-point lead over Murphy, 48 percent to 45 percent, in the latest poll of likely voters. However, last month’s Quinnipiac poll showed Rubio ahead by 13 points, 50 percent to 37 percent. Factoring in the new poll's 3-point error-margin, the Senate race is now "too close to call," Quinnipiac said in a news release.

thebloo

I refuse to believe that Florida Democrats can be this competent

They're not. Rubio is just bad. He has a lot of "qualities" that could make him electable, but he has spent the past 6 months just shitting himself. I hope he keeps it up.

rSpooky

The crazy thing is that if one were to get access to the emails of republicans I am sure much worse would be found..

So far none of the emails have been truly earth shattering to me. heck there have been corporate emails worse.

What are you talking about? The other emails were reported on on Tuesday. Did you fall through a time warp

Can you remind me where I put my keys on Tuesday

To be fair, Trump hasn't threatened to kill anyone in almost 36 hours so the media seems to have chosen today to cover them.

Wilsongt

What are you talking about? The other emails were reported on on Tuesday. Did you fall through a time warp

Can you remind me where I put my keys on Tuesday

Something about Clinton staff giving out favors to people who supported the Clinton foundation while she was SoS.

Also, Fox countered Trump's kill hillary comment of a Dem running for Senator in Ohio basically going ding dong the witch is done after Scalia died.

Voter ID laws restored in Wisconsin for the time being.

https://thinkprogress.org/breaking-...voter-suppression-law-81a9595ae055#.uejfc66zh

After some additional proceedings in the Seventh Circuit, the case returned to the trial court. Last month, Judge Lynn Adelman handed down another decision that significantly weakened the law’s ability to disenfranchise voters. Under Adelman’s decision, voters who lack ID may fill out an affidavit at the polls and then exercise their right to the franchise.
Wednesday’s order stays this decision by Judge Adelman. In an unsigned order, a Seventh Circuit panel similar to the one that originally reinstated the law criticized Adelman for failing to “identify” the specific voters who will be unable to obtain “a qualifying photo ID with reasonable effort” and tailor his remedy so that it only benefits those voters.
It is unclear how, exactly, a judge is supposed to identify these voters and tailor such a limited remedy, as the voters impacted by such laws are likely to live at the margins of society.
The most recent Seventh Circuit panel consisted of Judges Frank Easterbrook and Michael Kanne, both Reagan appointees, and Diane Sykes, a George W. Bush appointee. Trump has named Sykes as a potential Supreme Court appointee if he has the opportunity to place someone on the nation’s highest Court.
Though this order is very bad news for supporters of voting rights, Wisconsin voters who face disenfranchisement do have one reason for hope. After the first Seventh Circuit panel’s decision reinstating the voter ID law, lawyers challenging the law asked the full Seventh Circuit to hear the case, and the ten active judges of the court split 5–5 on whether to do so. Under the court’s rules, an even split means that the panel’s decision remains in place.

We've reached the point where Hugh Hewitt is trying to talk sense into one of the major parties Presidential candidates. It officially bizarro world.

CplNcZ-WEAAVZeU.jpg

jevity

Okay America-GAF

I'm watching Morning Joe on MSNBC and they are talking about Trumps " Obama founded ISIS" claim. They just interviewed Michael Hayden and EVEN a former general and director of the NSA, semi-accepts the untrue and uninformed causation between " Obama pulling the troops out of Iraq" and the violent rise of ISIS. He also casually claims the Obama administration is responsible for "breaking" Libya.

Am I wrong or is a network like MSNBC not at least supposed to attempt to act as a moral and objectivity-seeking counterweight to the FOXification of your mainstream media.

Why does an expert then answer a question in a way that in some ways is even more simple than the way an average joe would answer it ?

A regular person with a fleeting and superficial interest in politics and history would instantly be able to present
a multitude of reasons as to why the the rise of ISIS is an incredibly
complex and multi-layered question, and why it is dishonest and counterproductive to create a narrative centered around blaming a single catalyst.

I am not saying that a comment like Trumps immediately should be countered with a major breakdown of 30 years of global geopolitical dilemmas, but not even mentioning the U.S.–Iraq Status of Forces Agreement ? However I am saying that when a network the right wing accuses of being biased and leftist, interviews a respected military expert, who does not identify as an republican, and the following exchange is still without even a hint of depth and nuance, it is proof of the existance of a deeper problem with your televised political discourse.

My personal opinion is that most of the time, all the big networks seem to present and treat most political news like a mix of soundbites and red versus blue team sensationalism.

In my country Denmark, shallow reality-tv and fast-food entertainment comsumption is as popular as ever, but our national news is still mostly centered around balanced, relevant and professionally presented content.

As I have written earlier in this thread, I have several relatives in the U.S, and I also lived there for a period in the late 90's (I'm 40 years old), and my memories of american news channels are vastly different from what I am seeing now.

And I know my surprise might sound incredibly naive.

I mean, it's a given that all forms of media exist in dynamic vortex of constant technological and societal evolution, but that still does not explain the extent of a situation where the the former parodies end up being less unbelievable than the current reality.

I know all this sounds like a rant. And perhaps it is. But most of all, it is the words and thoughts of a guy who is genuinely scared of what is happening in your country.

God bless the great pollster Rasmussen.

Their last poll was Hillary 44/ Trump 40. Today, their headline is "Is the air going out of Hillary Clinton’s post-convention bounce?"

The numbers for her must have crashed, right? OMG DIABLOS. FUCK!

Hillary 43
Trump 40

As in....1 point of difference. Now, that couldn't possibly be statistical noise, now could it?!

Also from the poll

Trump gets 20% black support to Clinton’s 72%. She also leads by 13 among other minority voters, while her GOP rival is ahead by six points among whites.
'

Hahahahahahahahahaha

It must be pretty demoralizing to work on Trump's campaign.

I mean, you have to realize by now that you'll never work a major campaign again. At this point, I'd be pulling a Christie and just verbally fellating Trump for the next few months, and then hopefully he gives you some VP spot in a random company when this is over.

Okay America-GAF

I'm watching Morning Joe on MSNBC and they are talking about Trumps " Obama founded ISIS" claim. They just interviewed Michael Hayden and EVEN a former general and director of the NSA, semi-accepts the untrue and uninformed causation between " Obama pulling the troops out of Iraq" and the violent rise of ISIS. He also casually claims the Obama administration is responsible for "breaking" Libya.

Am I wrong or is a network like MSNBC not at least supposed to attempt to act as a moral and objectivity-seeking counterweight to the FOXification of your mainstream media.

Why does an expert then answer a question in a way that in some ways is even more simple than the way an average joe would answer it ?

A regular person with a fleeting and superficial interest in politics and history would instantly be able to present
a multitude of reasons as to why the the rise of ISIS is an incredibly
complex and multi-layered question, and why it is dishonest and counterproductive to create a narrative centered around blaming a single catalyst.

I am not saying that a comment like Trumps immediately should be countered with a major breakdown of 30 years of global geopolitical dilemmas, but not even mentioning the U.S.–Iraq Status of Forces Agreement ? However I am saying that when a network the right wing accuses of being biased and leftist, interviews a respected military expert, who does not identify as an republican, and the following exchange is still without even a hint of depth and nuance, it is proof of the existance of a deeper problem with your televised political discourse.

My personal opinion is that most of the time, all the big networks seem to present and treat most political news like a mix of soundbites and red versus blue team sensationalism.

In my country Denmark, shallow reality-tv and fast-food entertainment comsumption is as popular as ever, but our national news is still mostly centered around balanced, relevant and professionally presented content.

As I have written earlier in this thread, I have several relatives in the U.S, and I also lived there for a period in the late 90's (I'm 40 years old), and my memories of american news channels are vastly different from what I am seeing now.

And I know my surprise might sound incredibly naive.

I mean, it's a given that all forms of media exist in dynamic vortex of constant technological and societal evolution, but that still does not explain the extent of a situation where the the former parodies end up being less unbelievable than the current reality.

I know all this sounds like a rant. And perhaps it is. But most of all, it is the words and thoughts of a guy who is genuinely scared of what is happening in your country.

I feel like you just need something like the NBC Nightly News, where they just state the facts of the day and don't do punditry. With the pundits (and Morning Joe is a Republican by the way), you're always going to get shallow reasoning and bad panels to slant the segment whichever way the host wants. I think MSNBC is pretty good, but they still engage in that shit from time to time.

I think a big part of the issue is whether or not cable news is actually "news" or if it's "newsutainment" The purpose of cable news stations is to make money. The fact that they present news is, really, secondary to that. (And, ya, this is probably not a good thing.) There is a lack of intellectual curiosity that runs through Main Street USA. The media is just catering to that lowest denominator, I think. People don't want solutions or facts. They want things broken down into 30 second vinaigrette that quickly transitions to a feel good story.

There is still "good" news out there. PBS does a fairly good job. I'd argue that most of the network's nightly news programs are anywhere from acceptable to good. The problem places like MSNBC have is that they try too hard to be the Not-Fox News (which has gotten fucking terrible lately). They know they have a liberal bias, and they try to overcompensate. It makes the whole thing just annoying to watch.

Grief.exe

I think a big part of the issue is whether or not cable news is actually "news" or if it's "newsutainment" The purpose of cable news stations is to make money. The fact that they present news is, really, secondary to that. (And, ya, this is probably not a good thing.) There is a lack of intellectual curiosity that runs through Main Street USA. The media is just catering to that lowest denominator, I think. People don't want solutions or facts. They want things broken down into 30 second vinaigrette that quickly transitions to a feel good story.

There is still "good" news out there. PBS does a fairly good job. I'd argue that most of the network's nightly news programs are anywhere from acceptable to good. The problem places like MSNBC have is that they try too hard to be the Not-Fox News (which has gotten fucking terrible lately). They know they have a liberal bias, and they try to overcompensate. It makes the whole thing just annoying to watch.

This correlates with the gaming industry too.

Political Polls ‏@PpollingNumbers 30m30 minutes ago
Political Polls Retweeted Political Polls

Georgia General Election:

Trump 45% (+1)
Clinton 44%

Georgia GE, 4-Way-Race:

Trump 43% (+4)
Clinton 39%
Johnson 8%
Stein 2%

@GravisMarketing/@BreitbartNews Poll

So yeah

So y'all remember the guy who freaked out on me for having a private email address for work purposes? I had to call him today. The volume of work they're giving me isn't in line with the contract we signed. (They're not sending me enough work, and I don't want them to not pay me what we agreed to.)

Anyway, I call him and explain my situation. He responded "You must be a Republican, since you're not afraid of work. Plus you show initiative." I make it a policy to never, ever discuss politics with managers/clients. So I just said "Well, I appreciate the compliment, but I think people of all parties can work hard and try and get ahead."

He then said the best thing I have ever heard in the history of the world:

"Well, I'm a Republican. But I'm not voting for Trump. This isn't my party anymore. It's a damn shame. If Nancy Reagan were alive right now, she'd be rolling over in her grave.

That is the best thing I have ever heard in the history of forever. Amen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom