• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Politico: Peter Thiel considering bid for California governor

Status
Not open for further replies.

studyguy

Funny you mention that. That is what experts usually use as the cut off time as the beginning of the end for Republicans in the state.

blog_california_democratic_share_vote_1.jpg

People will say that but population trends are more in line with what killed the conservative history of the state in the end.
187 though is absolutely treated like this turning point and it has merit. I mean look at this shit, look familiar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZI7Q2pduUI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLIzzs2HHgY

This when your population is made up of a rapidly growing immigrant section. Shit's insulting.

Iksenpets

Banned
His opponent wouldn't even need to cut ads. Just play video of his Trump endorsement. If things start to look tight maybe talk about how much he's into using injections of young blood to stay youthful.

California was a very different state when Reagan was governor.

Naturally. I just meant that California's status is as a reliably blue state when it comes to presidential elections doesn't mean it's impossible for Republicans to win lower office here. Schwarzenegger wasn't that long ago.

cDNA

With the two top primaries system there is a chance that 2 democrats competes for the governor mansion in the general election, like what it happened with the Senate in 2016.

California dems did vote this year; that's a big part of why Trump lost the popular vote so hard. Thiel has no chance here.
Hell yeah we voted. Trump got destroyed here as will Thiel. I don't have faith in a lot of states, except for California, Washington, New York and you can never forget Minnesota.

Screen-shot-2012-09-24-at-11.23.10-AM.png

Democrats have a supermajority in CA. The governor is a democrat. The whole state is pretty much run by democrats. Our senate race didn't even have a republican option, it was a race between two Dems. So, yeah, good luck Petey.

GuyKazama

Democrats have a supermajority in CA. The governor is a democrat. The whole state is pretty much run by democrats. Our senate race didn't even have a republican option, it was a race between two Dems. So, yeah, good luck Petey.

State politics is not the same as federal. His success will depend on the platform he runs on and his ability to convince voters he is serious (the bigger hurdle). Supermajority or not, we've long given up on the state assembly -- that's why we have propositions.

numble

State politics is not the same as federal. His success will depend on the platform he runs on and his ability to convince voters he is serious (the bigger hurdle). Supermajority or not, we've long given up on the state assembly -- that's why we have propositions.
It's an open primary though due to the new law for open primaries. It's very likely that the general ballot will be Democrat vs. Democrat.

I'm not even. To me I see this as something for him to do because he is bored. Not because he has some master plan and wants to positively change things for the better. He's just bored and wants something to do.

Holmes

People who say California votes differently federally and statewide are correct, to a small extent. Places like San Luis Obispo, Riverside, San Diego and Fresno are more likely to vote for a Republican statewide candidate than a Republican presidential or senate candidate, but it's still nowhere near enough.

2016 California was a no man's land for Republicans. 2018 California will be worse for them.

He is gay and he rides with the Alt Right and the GOP? Damn

Actually it makes perfect sense. The only way the rich can get richer is by supporting the GOP. While there are plenty of rich people who support a more left-center governments and human rights, they usually don't care about money that much. Rich people also don't usually care about civil rights. Money tends to fix any issues in that aspect for them.

Why would Peter Thiel care about gay marriage for example? He can get a new boy to play with every month. If he wants to settle in with someone, he can just buy any house that he wants. Why would he care about marriage benefits like joint income and such?

He'd never win here, no chance. Even the Republicans I know here hate Trump so unless this guy does a 180 and moves away from him in the next four years, it won't happen

He gets crazier by the day.

I would imagine that is a common occurrence amongst billionaires who cloister themselves away from common experience, have the money to indulge their every whim, and surround themselves with yes men, especially when, as seems to be the case with Thiel, they are somewhat opinionated and kooky in the first place.

Why he would run in California is beyond me, unless he intends to purchase several major news outlets in that state and have them propagandize for him.

Naturally. I just meant that California's status is as a reliably blue state when it comes to presidential elections doesn't mean it's impossible for Republicans to win lower office here. Schwarzenegger wasn't that long ago.

To be fair, Arnold was giving out VOTE FOR ME IF YOU WANT TO LIVE! Shirts and I COME FROM THE FUTURE TO TERMINATE GREY DAVIS AND CLEAN UP SACRAMENTO! He also told people how can they trim the budget if they can't trim the fat from their bodies. So Arnold had very compelling arguments.

When Arnold ran for re-election he also was running against Phil Angelides, who was basically a nobody (a state treasurer without any kind of profile or celebrity). Angelides ran a terrible campaign as well, so it wasn't too surprising that a moderate Republican was able to appeal across party lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom